Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would of thunk it...

Started by parallaxpig, July 31, 2017, 01:05:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

After 25 years in the SEC we still don't have a true rival. Thought it was gonna be Tenner but SEC office saw different. Then we had nice thing going with LSU, but Texas A&M already pulls more weight. So here we are with Misery, lets see how long this last..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Inhogswetrust

We have a true rival............EVERY team in the SEC is our rival.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hobhog

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 31, 2017, 01:05:12 pm
After 25 years in the SEC we still don't have a true rival. Thought it was gonna be Tenner but SEC office saw different. Then we had nice thing going with LSU, but Texas A&M already pulls more weight. So here we are with Misery, lets see how long this last..........

Agreed- see thread about A$M joining SEC.

hogsanity

WHY. DO. WE. HAVE. TO HAVE. A. RIVAL?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgsalot

I think LSU, Aubby and even Ole Piss are our rivals now.  I promise LSU fans are sick of us, Both coaches hate each other when talking Aubby, and to Ole Miss we've killed their dreams even when cheating the last few year the fans hate us.

Torqued pork

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 02:58:59 pm
We don't, but a real rival on the schedule helps fan interest and is F.U.N.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hogsanity on July 31, 2017, 02:58:59 pm

We must come from different backgrounds. I had rivals in Junior and Senior High. Its the game you live for each year. I grew up in the SWC days and still to this day have more contempt for the burnt orange than any team in SEC after 25 years. And don't let any Texas fan tell you we weren't rivals....1964,65,69, 77,78,79 all NC implication games.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HillBillyHogfan

Part of it is because our fan base can't seem to get over Texas... #TimeToLetItGo
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

parallaxpig

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on July 31, 2017, 04:42:18 pm
Part of it is because our fan base can't seem to get over Texas... #TimeToLetItGo

Yeah I know, the days when we played for NC's now we just cash checks, nothing wrong with that I guess............

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 31, 2017, 04:47:08 pm
Yeah I know, the days when we played for NC's now we just cash checks, nothing wrong with that I guess............

By "the days when we played for national championships" you mean "over 50 years ago"
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

ricepig

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on July 31, 2017, 04:57:40 pm
By "the days when we played for national championships" you mean "over 50 years ago"

I think he means "day"......

Were you around for the SWC days?

parallaxpig

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on July 31, 2017, 04:57:40 pm

You are correct...back when we had rivalries.

PorkSoda

no Texas is our rival, even if they aren't in conference.  they are scared to even play the game they have scheduled with us.

you can't fabricate a rivalry.  so even if we play missouri on rivalry weekend, it doesn't make them our rival.

the closest thing we have to a rivalry in the SEC is LSU.  we don't play rivalry weekend anymore, but its still the battle of the boot. 

we should never ever lose to Missouri ever again. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

nchogg

I have always felt it was LSU. You never know how the game would play out. I just have a very strong dislike for Auby, Ole Piss and Texass A&M. But the SEC has to screw things up and try to create rivalries. LSU and us came about on it's own with the date we played them.

daBoar

Quote from: nchogg on July 31, 2017, 05:37:42 pm
I have always felt it was LSU. 
I liked playing LSU on Black Friday.  On the other hand, I loved playing in the SWC........the SEC just doesn't have the same feel for me.

PossumFan

I agree, it's LSU for me. Then Ole Miss.

Even though we always considered Texas our big rival back in the SWC days, we were at best third on their list behind Oklahoma and TA&M. Kind of hard to have a true rivalry when it's so one-sided.

davglo35

Most rivalries nation wide are created by 2 teams that are nearly the same level and in the same state. Ie....Georgia/GT  Louisville/Kentucky. Ole Piss/ Miss St. Oregon/Oregon St. and so on.

Hollywood_HOGan45

theFlyingHog

What's that trophy for the mizzou game, the thigh warmer? What's the trophy gonna be for the FAMU game, a bullet proof vest? Call it "Survivor of the Rock" or some crap.

Peter Porker

Because we have fans that would rather still hate Texas and cheer on Alabama to win championships so we can chant SEC! SEC! SEC!

It's sickening.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MS_HogFan

Maybe we could embrace the rivalry with Missouri. We both have had similar levels of success. It makes sense geographically. It could be fun. JMO

SOOIE

hawganatic

True rivalries are born on the field, not in the SEC office and not by a TV station deciding to put our game on  Friday afternoon.  And they definitely aren't created by some local media guy creating ridiculous looking trophies.  If LSU was a true rivalry, we could play them at 8:30 AM on a Wednesday morning and it would mean something.

if moving the LSU game to earlier in the season (which I personally like) kills that "rivalry," then it was just as contrived as what we have with Missouri right now.

Arkansas Fan

Who cares about a rivalry? Missouri certainly isn't one. Every team we play is the enemy.

rljjr

For me a large component of a rivalry is about how sweet it is to beat them, so in order I'll list out the SEC from least enjoyable to most. The problem with this is that we haven't beaten Bama in more than a decade. (If I were listing a true rivalry then LSU would be number one for me.)

Mizzou
Vandy
Kentucky
Ms State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Georgia
Tx A&M
Florida
Tennessee
Auburn
LSU
Bama

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 01, 2017, 08:46:18 am
Who cares about a rivalry? Missouri certainly isn't one. Every team we play is the enemy.
I equally hate each and every team. When I watch two other SEC teams play each other I want a tornado to hit the stadium. Right now though I want to beat aggie and go from there.

nwahogfan1

Mo. can be our Rival I guess but we need to do our part and win more games.  Rivals develop when the opposition fears you and hate you.  I go back to the SWC and who had us as a rival?  Not Texas.   Texas was our rival because we hated them and wanted to beat them but we were not Texas rival because they had A&M and OKLA so could that be considered a true rivalry?   I don't think so.  Like now Bama is rival to lots of teams because they are feared and hated but Auburn is probable Bama's only true rival.   So we need to get better start winning games and the fear and hatred will begin which feeds a good rivalry.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 01, 2017, 09:10:14 am
Mo. can be our Rival I guess but we need to do our part and win more games.  Rivals develop when the opposition fears you and hate you.  I go back to the SWC and who had us as a rival?  Not Texas.   Texas was our rival because we hated them and wanted to beat them but we were not Texas rival because they had A&M and OKLA so could that be considered a true rivalry?   I don't think so.  Like now Bama is rival to lots of teams because they are feared and hated but Auburn is probable Bama's only true rival.   So we need to get better start winning games and the fear and hatred will begin which feeds a good rivalry.
We were starting to piss off the LSU crowd. A lot of them I've spoken to wish we still had that last game because it was usually a pretty good one and was starting to mean something. Haven't heard any of them say they care for the aggie game

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: Karma on July 31, 2017, 05:00:36 pm
Were you around for the SWC days?

Ooh yeah... and lets be honest... Texas may have been our rival, but it's not a rivalry. They couldn't give two shats about us.

3kgthog

We don't have one. LSU fans don't care about us in the grand scheme. Mizzou just misses Kansas. Several of the other SEC teams have in-state hate. That type of hate is obviously something we'll never embrace here, so we'll take the scraps and commemorative t-shirt games we're told to care about.

hogsanity

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 31, 2017, 04:40:15 pm
We must come from different backgrounds. I had rivals in Junior and Senior High. Its the game you live for each year. I grew up in the SWC days and still to this day have more contempt for the burnt orange than any team in SEC after 25 years. And don't let any Texas fan tell you we weren't rivals....1964,65,69, 77,78,79 all NC implication games.....

So Hog fans can't live for the Bama game each year? Auburn? LSU? A&M?

PArt of it is a difference in rival and rivalry. A rival is someone you want to better. A rivalry is a game in which BOTH team treat it as the be all end all. Hogs were NEVER going to have a rivalry in the sec. Those were all tekn already. Bama/TN LSU/FL GA/FL Bama/Aub
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

I'm not sure we'll ever have One True Rival. I tend to think in terms of Rivals, teams we play year in and year out. LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M are at the top of my list. Mizzou is getting there. I like their addition to the SEC along with the Aggies.

I don't get the angst some of you have over Thanksgiving weekend. Texas is considered by most to be the biggest Rivalry we've had. That game was played a handful of times in December,  but usually in October. We didn't have a Thanksgiving Rival in the SWC.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 01, 2017, 08:37:58 am
Maybe we could embrace the rivalry with Missouri. We both have had similar levels of success. It makes sense geographically. It could be fun. JMO

I would prefer IF I had to pick a rival it would be one we had a winning record against................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

As terrible as it sounds Mizzou is the closest thing to a rival we have. That is what the SEC has decided and without a doubt Jeff Long will happily go along with it.

It is what it is. Google "battle line rivalry" and see what happens. The red headed linebacker is doing his best to make it happen. The problem is Hog fans simply don't care about Mizzou. We don't even care when they beat us...we are still "the better program."

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 01, 2017, 11:08:21 am
As terrible as it sounds Mizzou is the closest thing to a rival we have. That is what the SEC has decided and without a doubt Jeff Long will happily go along with it.

It is what it is. Google "battle line rivalry" and see what happens. The red headed linebacker is doing his best to make it happen. The problem is Hog fans simply don't care about Mizzou. We don't even care when they beat us...we are still "the better program."

Mizzou fans HAVE to have a rival since they lost one in Kansas. We are the better program historically. It's uncanny we haven't proved it on the field against them. It is still early in our history of playing them though. Lot's of time to even that deal out.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 01, 2017, 11:06:14 am
I would prefer IF I had to pick a rival it would be one we had a winning record against................................

That eliminates everyone in the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss, State, and Vandy. Seriously though, we've barely played Mizzou. There's plenty of time to reverse that record.

HamSammich

3kgthog nailed it... LSU fan doesn't think about us until three days before we play them. You can't call a team a rival if the other team and fan base holds you in disdain.

Hugo Bezdek

I'm confused. Have we stopped playing LSU?

I also don't get the dissing of Mizzou. They fit the SEC as much as we did coming in.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 01, 2017, 11:11:44 am
That eliminates everyone in the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss, State, and Vandy. Seriously though, we've barely played Mizzou. There's plenty of time to reverse that record.

All true. Mizzou can become a bigger rival but it will take time and their games will need to "mean more". Playing them the last week of the conference season can help have that effect some years.

Hog Fan...DOH!

We hate ourselves just fine, thank you.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 01, 2017, 08:25:13 am
Because we have fans that would rather still hate Texas and cheer on Alabama to win championships so we can chant SEC! SEC! SEC!

It's sickening.

Conference unity vs nonconference foes, and having a strong conference only helps all members.
Now get back to balancing your accounts with your abacus while turning up your oil lantern in order to see better.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 01, 2017, 08:25:13 am

It's sickening.
This.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on August 01, 2017, 10:21:12 am
Ooh yeah... and lets be honest... Texas may have been our rival, but it's not a rivalry. They couldn't give two shats about us.
Growing up in Texas, I can promise that has never been true.  It's something t-sips and poor widdle Arkansawyers say to feel better about themselves.

Once upon a time, OU, TAMU, and Arkansas were all pretty equally hated by Whorn fans, coaches, and players.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hawghiggs

Let Arkansas play in a conference with Oklahoma and you will see a rivalry. The problem with Arkansas and the SEC is proximity. The distance between programs is just to great. Years ago if Arkansas would have been accepted into the Big 8. We would have experienced rivalries and the sense of belonging.  Most older fans know that the only reason Arkansas is even in the SEC is because Florida state wisely said No Thanks.

Michael_E_Davis

I am with some of the other people who don't understand a rivalry.  To me, every single game is a rivalry, and I am pumped up about every game we play - whether it be a cupcake team, or Alabama,  I am pumped up for all of them.  So, a so called 'rivalry' game wouldn't change my excitement for Razorback football in the least.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

onebadrubi

LSU fans quit thinking of us as even a resemblance of a rivalry when Saban came back to college football to coach a conference foe.  But Bama has owned them off memory, maybe lsu winning 2 of the 10 or so matchups.  The Arkansas vs LSU rivalry was actually more competitive, even though it did not create the TV build up.  LSU fans gave up the thought of the Boot rivalry when their season hinges on beating Bama, which they fail to do now.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 01, 2017, 11:48:34 am
Let Arkansas play in a conference with Oklahoma and you will see a rivalry. The problem with Arkansas and the SEC is proximity. The distance between programs is just to great. Years ago if Arkansas would have been accepted into the Big 8. We would have experienced rivalries and the sense of belonging.  Most older fans know that the only reason Arkansas is even in the SEC is because Florida state wisely said No Thanks.

Yeah, but Oklahoma is not in the SEC,  and anyone suggesting the Razorbacks leave the best, most challenging, respected, and covered conference in football, just so we could have a one game rivalry, would be a complete idiot.  :)
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 01, 2017, 11:41:57 am
Growing up in Texas, I can promise that has never been true.  It's something t-sips and poor widdle Arkansawyers say to feel better about themselves.

Once upon a time, OU, TAMU, and Arkansas were all pretty equally hated by Whorn fans, coaches, and players.

I disagree. Whorn fans and players have always had more hate for OU and TAMU than us.

Youngsta71701

I still think of LSU as our rival. Even though they've beaten us more than we've beaten them I still look at them that way. Could just be my hate for them though. :-\
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

DoctorSusscrofa

I worry a lot less about rivals right now than I do beating 8 - 9 opponents in one season. Until we can consistently beat the 7 annual opponents that should not beat us and at least 1 of the 2 annual opponents that are about our traditional equals, I won't care about rivalries. Let's win all four non-conference games and four in the conference regularly first. Then we can worry and wonder about why no one thinks we are a rival.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton