• 379,565 Topics
• 21,130 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who would of thunk it...  (Read 3475 times)

parallaxpig

• Varsity
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
Who would of thunk it...
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:05:12 pm »

After 25 years in the SEC we still don't have a true rival. Thought it was gonna be Tenner but SEC office saw different. Then we had nice thing going with LSU, but Texas A&M already pulls more weight. So here we are with Misery, lets see how long this last..........

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Who would of thunk it...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »

We have a true rival............EVERY team in the SEC is our rival.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »

After 25 years in the SEC we still don't have a true rival. Thought it was gonna be Tenner but SEC office saw different. Then we had nice thing going with LSU, but Texas A&M already pulls more weight. So here we are with Misery, lets see how long this last..........

Agreed- see thread about A$M joining SEC.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:59 pm »

WHY. DO. WE. HAVE. TO HAVE. A. RIVAL?

hawgsalot

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:03:10 pm »

I think LSU, Aubby and even Ole Piss are our rivals now.  I promise LSU fans are sick of us, Both coaches hate each other when talking Aubby, and to Ole Miss we've killed their dreams even when cheating the last few year the fans hate us.

Torqued pork

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:06:44 pm »

We don't, but a real rival on the schedule helps fan interest and is F.U.N.

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »

A true rivalry against one of the SEC blue-bloods would help the Razorback football program.  To ask WHY is to feign stupidity.   

It's been decided we get Missouri instead (and we're happily going along with it for the continued easy diet of $).

Cool I guess. 

parallaxpig

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »

We must come from different backgrounds. I had rivals in Junior and Senior High. Its the game you live for each year. I grew up in the SWC days and still to this day have more contempt for the burnt orange than any team in SEC after 25 years. And don't let any Texas fan tell you we weren't rivals....1964,65,69, 77,78,79 all NC implication games.....

HillBillyHogfan

• Varsity
  • @HillbillyHogfan
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »

Part of it is because our fan base can't seem to get over Texas... #TimeToLetItGo

parallaxpig

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:47:08 pm »

Part of it is because our fan base can't seem to get over Texas... #TimeToLetItGo

Yeah I know, the days when we played for NC's now we just cash checks, nothing wrong with that I guess............

HillBillyHogfan

• Varsity
  • @HillbillyHogfan
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »

Yeah I know, the days when we played for NC's now we just cash checks, nothing wrong with that I guess............

By "the days when we played for national championships" you mean "over 50 years ago"

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »

By "the days when we played for national championships" you mean "over 50 years ago"

I think he means "day"......

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 05:00:36 pm »

Were you around for the SWC days?

parallaxpig

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 05:00:54 pm »

You are correct...back when we had rivalries.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »

no Texas is our rival, even if they aren't in conference.  they are scared to even play the game they have scheduled with us.

you can't fabricate a rivalry.  so even if we play missouri on rivalry weekend, it doesn't make them our rival.

the closest thing we have to a rivalry in the SEC is LSU.  we don't play rivalry weekend anymore, but its still the battle of the boot. 

we should never ever lose to Missouri ever again. 

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 05:37:42 pm »

I have always felt it was LSU. You never know how the game would play out. I just have a very strong dislike for Auby, Ole Piss and Texass A&M. But the SEC has to screw things up and try to create rivalries. LSU and us came about on it's own with the date we played them.

daBoar

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:26 pm »

I have always felt it was LSU. 
I liked playing LSU on Black Friday.  On the other hand, I loved playing in the SWC........the SEC just doesn't have the same feel for me.

PossumFan

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:10 pm »

I agree, it's LSU for me. Then Ole Miss.

Even though we always considered Texas our big rival back in the SWC days, we were at best third on their list behind Oklahoma and TA&M. Kind of hard to have a true rivalry when it's so one-sided.

davglo35

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 06:49:31 pm »

Most rivalries nation wide are created by 2 teams that are nearly the same level and in the same state. Ie....Georgia/GT  Louisville/Kentucky. Ole Piss/ Miss St. Oregon/Oregon St. and so on.

bigpigpimpin

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 06:53:29 pm »

We haven't won enough to have a rival

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 05:55:48 am »

We haven't won enough to have a rival

This.
Unfortunately

theFlyingHog

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 08:14:18 am »

What's that trophy for the mizzou game, the thigh warmer? What's the trophy gonna be for the FAMU game, a bullet proof vest? Call it "Survivor of the Rock" or some crap.

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:13 am »

Because we have fans that would rather still hate Texas and cheer on Alabama to win championships so we can chant SEC! SEC! SEC!

It's sickening.

MS_HogFan

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 08:37:58 am »

Maybe we could embrace the rivalry with Missouri. We both have had similar levels of success. It makes sense geographically. It could be fun. JMO

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 08:45:09 am »

True rivalries are born on the field, not in the SEC office and not by a TV station deciding to put our game on  Friday afternoon.  And they definitely aren't created by some local media guy creating ridiculous looking trophies.  If LSU was a true rivalry, we could play them at 8:30 AM on a Wednesday morning and it would mean something.

if moving the LSU game to earlier in the season (which I personally like) kills that "rivalry," then it was just as contrived as what we have with Missouri right now.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:18 am »

Who cares about a rivalry? Missouri certainly isn't one. Every team we play is the enemy.

rljjr

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 09:01:08 am »

For me a large component of a rivalry is about how sweet it is to beat them, so in order I'll list out the SEC from least enjoyable to most. The problem with this is that we haven't beaten Bama in more than a decade. (If I were listing a true rivalry then LSU would be number one for me.)

Mizzou
Vandy
Kentucky
Ms State
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Georgia
Tx A&M
Florida
Tennessee
Auburn
LSU
Bama

theFlyingHog

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:12 am »

Who cares about a rivalry? Missouri certainly isn't one. Every team we play is the enemy.
I equally hate each and every team. When I watch two other SEC teams play each other I want a tornado to hit the stadium. Right now though I want to beat aggie and go from there.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:14 am »

Mo. can be our Rival I guess but we need to do our part and win more games.  Rivals develop when the opposition fears you and hate you.  I go back to the SWC and who had us as a rival?  Not Texas.   Texas was our rival because we hated them and wanted to beat them but we were not Texas rival because they had A&M and OKLA so could that be considered a true rivalry?   I don't think so.  Like now Bama is rival to lots of teams because they are feared and hated but Auburn is probable Bama's only true rival.   So we need to get better start winning games and the fear and hatred will begin which feeds a good rivalry.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 09:13:09 am »

Mo. can be our Rival I guess but we need to do our part and win more games.  Rivals develop when the opposition fears you and hate you.  I go back to the SWC and who had us as a rival?  Not Texas.   Texas was our rival because we hated them and wanted to beat them but we were not Texas rival because they had A&M and OKLA so could that be considered a true rivalry?   I don't think so.  Like now Bama is rival to lots of teams because they are feared and hated but Auburn is probable Bama's only true rival.   So we need to get better start winning games and the fear and hatred will begin which feeds a good rivalry.
We were starting to piss off the LSU crowd. A lot of them I've spoken to wish we still had that last game because it was usually a pretty good one and was starting to mean something. Haven't heard any of them say they care for the aggie game

HillBillyHogfan

• Varsity
  • @HillbillyHogfan
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:12 am »

Were you around for the SWC days?

Ooh yeah... and lets be honest... Texas may have been our rival, but it's not a rivalry. They couldn't give two shats about us.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 10:32:04 am »

We don't have one. LSU fans don't care about us in the grand scheme. Mizzou just misses Kansas. Several of the other SEC teams have in-state hate. That type of hate is obviously something we'll never embrace here, so we'll take the scraps and commemorative t-shirt games we're told to care about.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:26 am »

We must come from different backgrounds. I had rivals in Junior and Senior High. Its the game you live for each year. I grew up in the SWC days and still to this day have more contempt for the burnt orange than any team in SEC after 25 years. And don't let any Texas fan tell you we weren't rivals....1964,65,69, 77,78,79 all NC implication games.....

So Hog fans can't live for the Bama game each year? Auburn? LSU? A&M?

PArt of it is a difference in rival and rivalry. A rival is someone you want to better. A rivalry is a game in which BOTH team treat it as the be all end all. Hogs were NEVER going to have a rivalry in the sec. Those were all tekn already. Bama/TN LSU/FL GA/FL Bama/Aub

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 11:02:23 am »

I'm not sure we'll ever have One True Rival. I tend to think in terms of Rivals, teams we play year in and year out. LSU, Ole Miss, and A&M are at the top of my list. Mizzou is getting there. I like their addition to the SEC along with the Aggies.

I don't get the angst some of you have over Thanksgiving weekend. Texas is considered by most to be the biggest Rivalry we've had. That game was played a handful of times in December,  but usually in October. We didn't have a Thanksgiving Rival in the SWC.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 11:06:14 am »

Maybe we could embrace the rivalry with Missouri. We both have had similar levels of success. It makes sense geographically. It could be fun. JMO

I would prefer IF I had to pick a rival it would be one we had a winning record against................................

jkstock04

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 11:08:21 am »

As terrible as it sounds Mizzou is the closest thing to a rival we have. That is what the SEC has decided and without a doubt Jeff Long will happily go along with it.

It is what it is. Google "battle line rivalry" and see what happens. The red headed linebacker is doing his best to make it happen. The problem is Hog fans simply don't care about Mizzou. We don't even care when they beat us...we are still "the better program."

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 11:10:28 am »

As terrible as it sounds Mizzou is the closest thing to a rival we have. That is what the SEC has decided and without a doubt Jeff Long will happily go along with it.

It is what it is. Google "battle line rivalry" and see what happens. The red headed linebacker is doing his best to make it happen. The problem is Hog fans simply don't care about Mizzou. We don't even care when they beat us...we are still "the better program."

Mizzou fans HAVE to have a rival since they lost one in Kansas. We are the better program historically. It's uncanny we haven't proved it on the field against them. It is still early in our history of playing them though. Lot's of time to even that deal out.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 11:11:44 am »

I would prefer IF I had to pick a rival it would be one we had a winning record against................................

That eliminates everyone in the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss, State, and Vandy. Seriously though, we've barely played Mizzou. There's plenty of time to reverse that record.

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:24 am »

It could have developed into LSU had we done a better job holding up our end of the deal. 

Would we have ever developed into LSU's prime focus of hatred?  Almost certainly not, but it's possible over time a triumvirate of hate could have been built as we had with Texas and Oklahoma. 

No way that will ever happen as things stand today... we've receded into Indiana-like status it seems... content with our conference affiliation sending a nice check our way every year... as if that translates somehow to the fanbase. 

HamSammich

• Senior
  • Sports huh?
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 11:13:22 am »

3kgthog nailed it... LSU fan doesn't think about us until three days before we play them. You can't call a team a rival if the other team and fan base holds you in disdain.

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 11:15:47 am »

3kgthog nailed it... LSU fan doesn't think about us until three days before we play them. You can't call a team a rival if the other team and fan base holds you in disdain.

That's certainly how it is... it didn't have to pan out that way however. 

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 11:24:52 am »

I'm confused. Have we stopped playing LSU?

I also don't get the dissing of Mizzou. They fit the SEC as much as we did coming in.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2017, 11:25:41 am »

That eliminates everyone in the SEC but A&M, Ole Miss, State, and Vandy. Seriously though, we've barely played Mizzou. There's plenty of time to reverse that record.

All true. Mizzou can become a bigger rival but it will take time and their games will need to "mean more". Playing them the last week of the conference season can help have that effect some years.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 11:26:06 am »

We hate ourselves just fine, thank you.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:39 am »

Because we have fans that would rather still hate Texas and cheer on Alabama to win championships so we can chant SEC! SEC! SEC!

It's sickening.

Conference unity vs nonconference foes, and having a strong conference only helps all members.
Now get back to balancing your accounts with your abacus while turning up your oil lantern in order to see better.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:57 am »

It's sickening.
This.

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 11:37:06 am »

We hate ourselves just fine, thank you.
This unfortunately is pretty accurate.

It's easy to look at the baseball program and see commitment to competing at the highest level... you take results as they come (good and bad) because the underlying commitment to competing is evident throughout.

It's impossible to see that level of commitment in the football program today. 

Basketball?

Deep Shoat

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 11:41:57 am »

Ooh yeah... and lets be honest... Texas may have been our rival, but it's not a rivalry. They couldn't give two shats about us.
Growing up in Texas, I can promise that has never been true.  It's something t-sips and poor widdle Arkansawyers say to feel better about themselves.

Once upon a time, OU, TAMU, and Arkansas were all pretty equally hated by Whorn fans, coaches, and players.

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:14 am »

Growing up in Texas, I can promise that has never been true.  It's something t-sips and poor widdle Arkansawyers say to feel better about themselves.

Once upon a time, OU, TAMU, and Arkansas were all pretty equally hated by Whorn fans, coaches, and players.

100% Agreed. 

Now delete this so no record of our ever agreeing will continue to exist. 

Hawghiggs

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2017, 11:48:34 am »

Let Arkansas play in a conference with Oklahoma and you will see a rivalry. The problem with Arkansas and the SEC is proximity. The distance between programs is just to great. Years ago if Arkansas would have been accepted into the Big 8. We would have experienced rivalries and the sense of belonging.  Most older fans know that the only reason Arkansas is even in the SEC is because Florida state wisely said No Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas