Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injury thread

Started by AirWarren, July 29, 2017, 11:37:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarHillGaHog

I'm unsure how to feel.  It does seem to be way too many foot injuries.  I don't know enough where to look for reasons. It could be a simple as they report it different than other schools, to diet, to practice things or building up too much upper bulk without making sure the under carriage can support it.  I do not know.  It just seems odd.  I look at my foot.  It seems to carry me perfect.  Would it if I added 50 pounds then was expect to do the same things?  I'm clueless.  As for shoes I'm not sure about that.  Yes I prefer New Balance if I'm going to have to run.  However I doubt any one shoe brand could be the reason.

TeufelHog

Look guys, no agenda on my part with respect to the foot injuries.  I'm just dumbfounded by the fact that it seems like every year since Knile Davis in 2011 we have lost key players to foot related injuries.  Look, I get it . . . we're dealing with 250-300+ lb. young men who are pummeling, falling on, crawling over, stepping on each other.  I just do not understand the "well it's inevitably going to happen" attitude that seems to exist.

For heaven's sake, redesign the upper/tongue of the cleats to include a flexible deflector or pad, use a softer material or reshape the cleat prongs, check our ankle taping methods to see if they're causing an issue, review our weight-lifting exercises/techniques for possible causal effects, review supplement or nutrition deficiencies related to bone density . . . heck if nothing else, get NIKE to come in and do a study related to their footwear.  These annual foot injuries are just REDONKULOUS. 

Otis

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: Otis on July 31, 2017, 10:25:13 pm
Our playing surface?

Shh.. don't go talking that talk.  We'll have backhoes, bobcats and dump trucks all over the place for like 12 months.

Hawgphat

I realize that "fall" practice just started; but those having injuries for which surgery and/or rehabilitation are already projected to extend well past the start of the season is bound to be raising some significant concerns about quality of depth at certain positions.  Based upon the latest injury report information - and the affected depth chart availability factor -  at what position do you think we may be thinnest at the start of the season and for several weeks thereafter?

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: AP85 on July 31, 2017, 02:18:46 pm
I have quickly become a Reebok snob. They are the best shoes out there for people on their feet a lot. I made a mistake with these Nike shoes. But being frugle, I'll wear them until they die.

I prefer New Balance,  and I do a lot of training. 
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

AugustaHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on July 31, 2017, 10:55:20 pm
I realize that "fall" practice just started; but those having injuries for which surgery and/or rehabilitation are already projected to extend well past the start of the season is bound to be raising some significant concerns about quality of depth at certain positions.  Based upon the latest injury report information - and the affected depth chart availability factor -  at what position do you think we may be thinnest at the start of the season and for several weeks thereafter?
Without a doubt OLB.  WR could be an issue if JRed misses serious time.  There's zero proven depth at that spot despite the fact that there is a ton of talent and potential.  When you have a game like TCU sitting in that week 2 slot, you have to be ready to go when fall camp breaks.  There's still a ton of time for those guys to gel with AA though, so for me it would have to be that OLB spot which was thin as heck before the Bell injury. 

RME

Has there been any explanation as to how it was broken? Could have absolutely nothing to do with "shoes," "weight lifting," or "nutrition" (as it probably doesn't anyway).

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: oldrazorband on July 31, 2017, 03:03:09 pm
Yep.  I switched to Asics.  My feet thank me for it.

My orthopedic surgeon told me postsurgery to do X amount of this and that as rehab, and to wear Asics with a gel insole when doing cardio type exercise for the rest of my life.

Just sayin'.

P.S.
I doubt it's the Nikes.  I don't think Nike is all that great though.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 01, 2017, 08:13:47 am
Has there been any explanation as to how it was broken? Could have absolutely nothing to do with "shoes," "weight lifting," or "nutrition" (as it probably doesn't anyway).

They don't know, or that was the given response.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on July 31, 2017, 11:27:03 pm
I prefer New Balance,  and I do a lot of training. 

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on August 01, 2017, 11:18:57 am
My orthopedic surgeon told me postsurgery to do X amount of this and that as rehab, and to wear Asics with a gel insole when doing cardio type exercise for the rest of my life.

Just sayin'.

I've always thought both New Balance and Asics were better than Nike. They both seem to fit my feet better and I have "normal" feet except a little low arch. All the Nike's I've had in years past did not hold up as well and didn't seem to fit as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

I prefer Brooks running shoes. They're fantastic.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 01, 2017, 11:47:45 am
I prefer Brooks running shoes. They're fantastic.

Another brand better than Nike now. As far as major brands go I only think Reebok is worse than Nike.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Ironic that Nike started as a "running shoe" yet as recently as 2016's Running Worlds ranking of the top running shoes the highest ranking Nike is #16.

AirWarren

August 02, 2017, 09:59:33 pm #64 Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:04:21 pm by AP85
Add TJ to the list.

TJ
Cornelius
Bell
Harris
Wagner

rhames

Isn't Josh Harris the linebacker who really messed up his leg vs Tennessee?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 10, 2017, 11:31:05 am
Josh Williams. Josh Harris is a walk-on junior LB from Pine Bluff that's gotten consistent practice reps and ST work.

Awww. Thanks sir.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

AirWarren

onebadrubi

Danimal

Anyone else have the feeling J-Red takes a medical redshirt this year? I'm starting to think so.

ricepig

Quote from: Danimal on August 12, 2017, 09:01:23 am
Anyone else have the feeling J-Red takes a medical redshirt this year? I'm starting to think so.

Nope, he thought of leaving early, I don't see him coming back.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Otis on July 31, 2017, 10:25:13 pm
Our playing surface?
this. it's OBVIOUS af that since the new practice field went in....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Danimal

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2017, 09:16:05 am
Nope, he thought of leaving early, I don't see him coming back.
That's a very good point Ricepig.

hawgbawb

Quote from: TebowHater on July 31, 2017, 09:02:42 pm
Y'allllll....whatever is causing the foot injuries, it is NOT the Nikes. We have the same Nikes as every other Nike school in country, schools who are not having this sudden uptick in broken feet. This is the most easy theory to disprove. IF there is a cause other than bad luck, which I think there is (see Bell injury thread), then it must be something Arkansas specific: practice style, S&C program, nutrition plan, etc.

I have seen nutrition floated around a lot too. That is possible, but also is unlikely, as with the addition of the new athlete cafeteria, our athletes have been eating better than they ever have. Only people inside the program know what changed starting in 2015. They need to do their best to identify it.

FWIW, I think the last broken foot before 2015 was Kiero Small in 2012. We have had 8 in the last 2 years.
What about our practice field?  Modify: sorry, already posted.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgbawb on August 12, 2017, 10:07:09 am
What about our practice field?

The injuries have occurred in DWRRS, WMS, Baton Rouge, and the practice fields.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Danimal on August 12, 2017, 09:46:33 am
That's a very good point Ricepig.

Even a blind squirrel stumbles onto an acorn sometimes.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 12, 2017, 10:15:20 am

That was more like a beach ball. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 12, 2017, 10:15:20 am
Are you trying to insinuate something??

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2017, 10:33:19 am
Are you trying to insinuate something??

Everyone knows you aren't blind.   ;)
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

For those keeping up, two more foot injuries announced today. Josh Harris has a broken foot(bone), and Daulton Wagner, foot injury, not broken.

HamSammich

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2017, 02:44:31 pm
For those keeping up, two more foot injuries announced today. Josh Harris has a broken foot(bone), and Daulton Wagner, foot injury, not broken.

Thanks . I had heard there was one but didn't know the other. This foot thing is getting stupid.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on August 12, 2017, 10:10:42 am
The injuries have occurred in DWRRS, WMS, Baton Rouge, and the practice fields.
mostly on the practice field tho. but, we have the same turf in WM and DWR , soooo.....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TebowHater

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 12, 2017, 02:46:34 pm
mostly on the practice field tho. but, we have the same turf in WM and DWR , soooo.....

We had these surfaces before the foot injuries started. They started in 2015. It's not the surface.

ricepig

If you watched the PC afterwards, he said they spoke with another D-1 that has had 6 foot injuries since the spring. The training staff did an analysis of the NFL where they have to list the injuries, unlike college, and found out the foot injuries were to mainly LB's and WR's, just as ours are.

HogHomer

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 12, 2017, 02:46:34 pm
Well there is a ton more opportunities to injury yourself on your own practice field than during a game regardless of playing surface. And you can't be sure that all of our injuries haven't happened on the natural grass practice field.

CopenHogen

Dalton Wagner, expected recovery 4-6 weeks, looking at redshirtig.

AirWarren

Add Wagner to the list.

TJ
Cornelius
Bell
Harris
Wagner

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on August 12, 2017, 05:05:54 pm
Add Wagner to the list.

TJ
Cornelius
Bell
Harris
Wagner

The injury list is a lot longer than that, those out for extended time are Harris and Bell, most likely for the season, or last 3 games or so.

jst01

razorhog52

As long as it isn't a chronic injury I'm kind of glad he gets to redshirt.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on August 12, 2017, 07:20:52 pm
My sentiments as well. I think he's already a monster and a good one, but if he can redshirt and develop, that's how we'll continue to move this program forward. Again, as long as the foot doesn't give him further trouble in the future. Hopefully we won't need him this season.

That's how I feel exactly. Barring a total meltdown this year I believe we need to stand pat with our coaching staff. We need to create stability and build into a program thriving on redshirt seniors and juniors that can support a few dynamic skill players. That's how Mississippi State almost got over the junior year of Dak Prescott.

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.