Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Injury thread

Started by AirWarren, July 29, 2017, 11:37:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Jared being held out for back injuries. Greenlaw. Two players we need for sure.

Can't help but think with our recent past experience with preseason injuries this is not the end of it.

Kind of just sitting here waiting on "news" to break during the next practice.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on July 29, 2017, 11:37:58 am
Jared being held out for back injuries. Greenlaw. Two players we need for sure.

Can't help but think with our recent past experience with preseason injuries this is not the end of it.

Kind of just sitting here waiting on "news" to break during the next practice.

Injuries happen all the time, part of sports, sport.

ricepig

July 29, 2017, 11:49:24 am #2 Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:17:45 pm by ricepig
Also, Alexy Jean Baptiste is not practicing yet, not sure on Lafrance.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 11:47:15 am
Injuries happen all the time, part of sports, sport.

I was unaware of this. Thanks for the update.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 11:49:24 am
Also, Alexy Jean Baptists is not practicing yet, not sure on Lafrance.

Jean baptiste is a guy I'm hoping pans out. He had a lot of potential out of high school.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on July 29, 2017, 12:16:28 pm
Jean baptiste is a guy I'm hoping pans out. He had a lot of potential out of high school.

Me too, appeared to be very athletic with the needed size.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 12:18:26 pm
Friend of mine from down da bayou told me that all their friends whom saw him play multiple times swore he was a star and a half better than he was rated and the bayou bengals screwed up royally not taking him.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on July 29, 2017, 12:38:15 pm
Friend of mine from down da bayou told me that all their friends whom saw him play multiple times swore he was a star and a half better than he was rated and the bayou bengals screwed up royally not taking him.
Baptiste was from Florida, are you talking about Lafrance?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 12:40:01 pm
Baptiste was from Florida, are you talking about Lafrance?
La france

ricepig

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 12:56:25 pm
Ok, we were talking about Baptiste.

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 11:49:24 am
Also, Alexy Jean Baptiste is not practicing yet, not sure  on Lafrance . .

And then...
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 29, 2017, 01:13:09 pm
And then...

Or....

Quote from: AP85 on July 29, 2017, 12:16:28 pm

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 12:18:26 pm

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 12:56:25 pm
Ok, we were talking about Baptiste.
My bad. I had just been talking bout La france with someone on the phone n I got brain freeze. Srry.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on July 29, 2017, 01:30:01 pm
My bad. I had just been talking bout La france with someone on the phone n I got brain freeze. Srry.

No prob, I've got high hopes for him, too. Hopefully those two can get healthy and get in the rotation this year.

AirWarren

1 down.

Jamario Bell. Foot injury. Requires surgery. 10-12 weeks.

parallaxpig

Quote from: AP85 on July 31, 2017, 01:15:59 pm
1 down.

Is the # of foot injuries we have normal or are we outside the bell curve..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

AirWarren

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 31, 2017, 01:19:35 pm
Is the # of foot injuries we have normal or are we outside the bell curve..........

I find it weird.

Tusks

I wonder how other Nike schools wearing the same particular shoes as the Hogs wear have the same # of foot injuries. 

The hogs sure seem to have more than normal.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pig in the Pokey

1 down.

that super sucks, too. he has the highest ceiling on the team at OLB. Damnit.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

KC_archHOG

.....it has to be the altitude  ;)

redleg

Hoping Gabe Richardson or someone else can step up at the strong-side OLB position. I had high hopes for Bell this fall. Tough luck.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

PorkSoda

Quote from: parallaxpig on July 31, 2017, 01:19:35 pm
http://www.mdedge.com/amjorthopedics/article/70921/foot-ankle/incidence-and-variance-foot-and-ankle-injuries-elite-college

"Seventy-two percent (n = 231) of the players had a history of foot and ankle injuries, with a total of 287 foot and ankle injuries (1.24 injuries/player injured). The most common injuries were lateral ankle sprain (n = 115), syndesmotic sprain (50), metatarsophalangeal dislocation/ turf toe (36), and fibular fracture (25). Foot and ankle injuries were most common in kickers/punters (100% incidence), special teams (100%), running backs (83%), wide receivers (83%), and offensive linemen (80%). Lateral ankle sprains, the most common injuries, were treated surgically only 2.6% of the time. Offensive linemen were most likely to have had syndesmotic sprains (32%), and quarterbacks had the highest incidence of fibular fractures (16%).

Foot and ankle injuries are common in collegiate football players, affecting 72% of players. Thirteen percent underwent surgical treatment. Trends are seen in the types of injuries for the different player positions."
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

article is a little old, but a great hog made the list

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13763052/college-football-all-injury-team

RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas (out for season, foot injury)
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

AugustaHog

Quote from: tusked on July 31, 2017, 01:41:19 pm
I wonder how other Nike schools wearing the same particular shoes as the Hogs wear have the same # of foot injuries. 

The hogs sure seem to have more than normal.
I was training in some Nike runners and they completely screwed my foot up.  Obviously a different deal than the football cleat version, but I find that compared to other shoes they tend to be pretty terrible at providing proper support.  I don't see this high of a number of foot injuries across the board and Nike supplies a ton of other programs so I would find it hard to believe that they are the primary cause.  It definitely seems to be a crazy high number of foot injuries over the last 3 years or so.

AirWarren

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 31, 2017, 02:03:16 pm
I was training in some Nike runners and they completely screwed my foot up.  Obviously a different deal than the football cleat version, but I find that compared to other shoes they tend to be pretty terrible at providing proper support.  I don't see this high of a number of foot injuries across the board and Nike supplies a ton of other programs so I would find it hard to believe that they are the primary cause.  It definitely seems to be a crazy high number of foot injuries over the last 3 years or so.

My career has me on my feet a lot walking and moving. I hate my Nike's.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

1 down.

Dang it man. I had high hopes for him this year.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

onebadrubi

Quote from: AP85 on July 31, 2017, 02:08:49 pm
My career has me on my feet a lot walking and moving. I hate my Nike's.

Many runners agree with this.  I switched to reebok's a few years ago, definitely more comfortable and support when doing anything with impact on feet, ankles and knees.

AirWarren

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 31, 2017, 02:17:21 pm
Many runners agree with this.  I switched to reebok's a few years ago, definitely more comfortable and support when doing anything with impact on feet, ankles and knees.

I have quickly become a Reebok snob. They are the best shoes out there for people on their feet a lot. I made a mistake with these Nike shoes. But being frugle, I'll wear them until they die.

GO

The don't ever seem to be minor injuries but season ending ones every dang time, every stinkin year. Honestly with our record of foot injuries I fully expect to lose another one before end of year.

AirWarren

Quote from: GO on July 31, 2017, 02:21:51 pm
The don't ever seem to be minor injuries but season ending ones every dang time, every stinkin year. Honestly with our record of foot injuries I fully expect to lose another one before end of year.

Like I said, I've been sitting back waiting for the news to break.

TrueBlue

AirWarren

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 31, 2017, 02:29:32 pm
Body Feet by Herb?

When the lights come on, the feet crumble.

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 31, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
Has nothing to do with it.
people keep guessing as to why, but none of the theories are tested. it's like the coaches are just hoping it will stop. I bet we have several more broken feet before the end of the camp.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Jackrabbit Hog

If Jeff Long has a lick of sense, he'll cancel that Nike contract - heck, pay the buyout if there is one - and switch to Sketchers.  Most comfortable shoe out there.  And if it's good enough for Matt Kuchar, hey...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TrueBlue

oldrazorband

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 31, 2017, 02:17:21 pm

Yep.  I switched to Asics.  My feet thank me for it.

ricepig

Quote from: oldrazorband on July 31, 2017, 03:03:09 pm
Yep.  I switched to Asics.  My feet thank me for it.

Yep, I haven't worn anything else in 7 years, love them.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 31, 2017, 02:57:16 pm
And you know this how?

He has more insight than 99% of Hogville.

RME

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 31, 2017, 02:35:15 pm
If Jeff Long has a lick of sense, he'll cancel that Nike contract - heck, pay the buyout if there is one - and switch to Sketchers.  Most comfortable shoe out there.  And if it's good enough for Matt Kuchar, hey...

I heard that Pepsi products weaken bones in the foot.

But don't quote me on that.

jgphillips3

Nike's look good, but I find their support and quality to suck compared to Reebok.  That's just my personal experience though, it may vary for others and within product lines.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 31, 2017, 02:31:07 pm
Has nothing to do with it.

Inquiring minds really would like to know the theory behind this...  it's an incredible number of foot injuries. 

parallaxpig

Quote from: redleg on July 31, 2017, 01:55:59 pm
Hoping Gabe Richardson or someone else can step up at the strong-side OLB position. I had high hopes for Bell this fall. Tough luck.

Well we do have 21 LB's listed on roster......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HogHolio

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 31, 2017, 02:29:32 pm
Body Feet by Herb?

I do wonder if our training staff are taping in a way that may be contributing to this problem, as it does seem extra prevalent and severe for the hogs and as others have mentioned there are plenty of schools wearing nikes.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogHolio on July 31, 2017, 07:04:58 pm
I do wonder if our training staff are taping in a way that may be contributing to this problem, as it does seem extra prevalent and severe for the hogs and as others have mentioned there are plenty of schools wearing nikes.
13% of NCAA football players have had a foot injury requiring surgery.

of our 85 scholarship players are 11 of them out for foot surgery?

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 31, 2017, 07:11:29 pm

You're going to have to provide a little more in depth data on the life history of the population of Arkansas football players and their injuries to make your point

HamSammich

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 31, 2017, 07:11:29 pm

Foot injuries are genetic dispositions combined with super strong muscles and longer lever arms. Basic physics. Kids today get so strong and can put so much torque on bones that the bones break easier. The human body wasn't designed to contain the torque and force components put on them by today's athletes.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on July 31, 2017, 07:18:08 pm
You're going to have to provide a little more in depth data on the life history of the population of Arkansas football players and their injuries to make your point
I'm just trying to provide a baseline for what is normal to determine if arkansas is having excessive foot injuries, or if that view is by nature, myopic.

that number was from a study on NCAA foot/ankle injuries that is already quoted in this thread.
(quoted below)
Quote from: PorkSoda on July 31, 2017, 01:56:39 pm
http://www.mdedge.com/amjorthopedics/article/70921/foot-ankle/incidence-and-variance-foot-and-ankle-injuries-elite-college

"Seventy-two percent (n = 231) of the players had a history of foot and ankle injuries, with a total of 287 foot and ankle injuries (1.24 injuries/player injured). The most common injuries were lateral ankle sprain (n = 115), syndesmotic sprain (50), metatarsophalangeal dislocation/ turf toe (36), and fibular fracture (25). Foot and ankle injuries were most common in kickers/punters (100% incidence), special teams (100%), running backs (83%), wide receivers (83%), and offensive linemen (80%). Lateral ankle sprains, the most common injuries, were treated surgically only 2.6% of the time. Offensive linemen were most likely to have had syndesmotic sprains (32%), and quarterbacks had the highest incidence of fibular fractures (16%).

Foot and ankle injuries are common in collegiate football players, affecting 72% of players. Thirteen percent underwent surgical treatment. Trends are seen in the types of injuries for the different player positions."
so unless we have had more than 11 (85 x 13%) over the past 4-5 years (assuming broken bones require surgery) then we dont really have a higher than average number of foot injuries.

I admit its not a perfect baseline, but its better than nothing, which is what most people are basing their opinion on so far.

off the top of my head, I'm thinking we've had in the neighborhood of 6-8 broken feet over the last few years.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HamSammich on July 31, 2017, 07:18:33 pm
Foot injuries are genetic dispositions combined with super strong muscles and longer lever arms. Basic physics. Kids today get so strong and can put so much torque on bones that the bones break easier. The human body wasn't designed to contain the torque and force components put on them by today's athletes.
either that, or they aren't drinking enough milk.

TebowHater

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 31, 2017, 02:35:15 pm

Y'allllll....whatever is causing the foot injuries, it is NOT the Nikes. We have the same Nikes as every other Nike school in country, schools who are not having this sudden uptick in broken feet. This is the most easy theory to disprove. IF there is a cause other than bad luck, which I think there is (see Bell injury thread), then it must be something Arkansas specific: practice style, S&C program, nutrition plan, etc.

I have seen nutrition floated around a lot too. That is possible, but also is unlikely, as with the addition of the new athlete cafeteria, our athletes have been eating better than they ever have. Only people inside the program know what changed starting in 2015. They need to do their best to identify it.

FWIW, I think the last broken foot before 2015 was Kiero Small in 2012. We have had 8 in the last 2 years.