Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McFadden had better stay ready

Started by Tejano Jawg, July 17, 2017, 10:16:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 23, 2017, 10:36:30 am
with the kind of threat that Dak poses, DMAC could find running a LOT easier than he ever has in his entire career.

I've had that very thought, dual threat QBs can really help the traditional run game, Zeke was certainly helped by it last year.

BigE_23

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ezekiel-elliotts-potential-suspension-reportedly-will-be-closer-to-six-games/

I'm a Cowboy's fan, and this is upsetting news, but I'm hopeful that D-Mac can make his mark. He's still got something left in the tank!

razorbackfan86

FANONTHEHILL

24 carries for 87 yards last year.  He will have more carries than that by halftime of week 2. I agree, a great opportunity to show everyone the D-Mac we remember.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MS_HogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 11, 2017, 11:26:52 am
24 carries for 87 yards last year.  He will have more carries than that by halftime of week 2. I agree, a great opportunity to show everyone the D-Mac we remember.

I love D-Mac and the Cowboys. The D-Mac I remember doesn't exist anymore. IMO
SOOIE

Mo_Better_Hogs

The gavel has come down—Zeke suspended 6 games. I haven't read this article yet, but sure the Cowboys will appeal the number of games. I bet they'd be happy if cut to 3, maybe 4. No matter how long, looks like Darren will be the number one back to start the season. And I'm damn excited to see it.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/11/reports-ezekiel-elliott-serve-6-game-suspension-violating-conduct-policy

bennyl08

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on August 11, 2017, 12:01:27 pm
The gavel has come down—Zeke suspended 6 games. I haven't read this article yet, but sure the Cowboys will appeal the number of games. I bet they'd be happy if cut to 3, maybe 4. No matter how long, looks like Darren will be the number one back to start the season. And I'm damn excited to see it.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/11/reports-ezekiel-elliott-serve-6-game-suspension-violating-conduct-policy

Alfred Morris may have something to say for that depending on how the rest of training camp goes, but McFadden will get carries no matter what happens and that will be fun to watch as always.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RME

Quote from: MS_HogFan on August 11, 2017, 11:49:26 am
I love D-Mac and the Cowboys. The D-Mac I remember doesn't exist anymore. IMO

Why not? Dude had a 1,000+ yard season just 2 seasons ago and averaged 4.6 YPC in the NFL.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 11, 2017, 12:03:44 pm
Alfred Morris may have something to say for that depending on how the rest of training camp goes, but McFadden will get carries no matter what happens and that will be fun to watch as always.

Morris and McFadden may end up with similar numbers after 2 games (tilting toward McFadden). But a few days ago I was hearing some sports radio guys talking about this—when they felt it was certain there would be some kind of suspension for Zeke—and they all seemed certain that McFadden would be the starter. I don't know why they were so sure, unless they've seen DMac having a really good camp or something.

Braden Jefferson

Quote from: younghog on July 17, 2017, 12:02:44 pm
EXACTLY
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:01:23 pm
Darren is 9th in yards among active NFL running backs. And that's with considerably fewer carries than the guys ahead of him. He had over 1,000 just 2 seasons ago.

He's not done.
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:01:23 pm

Thanks for that stat, that's pretty interesting.

Agreed. Especially in a committee backfield with the line he has in front of him. Him and AlMo are both solid, experienced backs. Plus, throw in the weapons D Mac has around him now compared to that disastrous 2015 Cowboys season when Dez and Tony went down, and he still put up 1100 yards.

hogman64

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 11, 2017, 12:09:56 pm
Why not? Dude had a 1,000+ yard season just 2 seasons ago and averaged 4.6 YPC in the NFL.

RB years in the NFL pretty much equal dog years...2 years ago is long time ago for an NFL running back..

bennyl08

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on August 11, 2017, 12:12:29 pm
Morris and McFadden may end up with similar numbers after 2 games (tilting toward McFadden). But a few days ago I was hearing some sports radio guys talking about this—when they felt it was certain there would be some kind of suspension for Zeke—and they all seemed certain that McFadden would be the starter. I don't know why they were so sure, unless they've seen DMac having a really good camp or something.

Yeah, I was going a bit off the hall of fame game. Morris tore the league up as a freshmen, but then continually was less productive each of his next seasons in washington. For Morris, it becomes a questions of whether he can regain that rookie season form. Don't know if his body wore down playing in washington or if it was simply a scheme that became less effective as time wore on. However, if his body has recuperated and/or that dallas OL can compensate for the scheme, Morris has skills.

McFadden is on the back legs of his career, but as mentioned previously, was just 2 seasons ago running for 1k yards at 4.6 yards a pop (and not playing much most of the first quarter of the season either). The biggest reason he didn't repeat that was the cowboys drafting young adrian peterson essentially.

At this stage in their respective careers, relying on Morris and McFadden is a gamble. However, in a best case scenario, they have a two headed monster with some thunder and lightning. Worst case is that they have two aging backs. Middle case is that they'll have a couple backs that are good enough to give them a running game, but not a great one.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RME

Quote from: KennyHoggins on August 11, 2017, 12:21:24 pm

Thanks for that stat, that's pretty interesting.

Agreed. Especially in a committee backfield with the line he has in front of him. Him and AlMo are both solid, experienced backs. Plus, throw in the weapons D Mac has around him now compared to that disastrous 2015 Cowboys season when Dez and Tony went down, and he still put up 1100 yards.

I agree. With the Cowboys O-line, a lot of backs would put up some productive seasons, but a guy like Darren who more than likely still has some gas left can do very well. Especially with, like you said, with a 2x Pro-Bowler like Morris to share the load, a healthy Dez, and a QB like Dak.

Quote from: hogman64 on August 11, 2017, 12:31:11 pm
RB years in the NFL pretty much equal dog years...2 years ago is long time ago for an NFL running back..

He had a whole 24 carries last year due to his "pool injury" incident. He didn't take any beatings or wear and tear last year. He's 29 and has already far surpassed the average NFL shelf life --- much less that of a running back. At this point, if he was breaking down, we'd be seeing it. He's not THAT bad off quite yet.

Dr. Starcs

Josh brown arrested and convicted of beating a woman gets 1 game.

Zeke gets 6, no conviction, was he even arrested?  Even if, sounds fair.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 11, 2017, 01:14:36 pm

Don't get my started on how crazy our gyno-centric culture has gotten.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Adam Stokes

If McFadden can get 204 yards this season he'll break into the Top 100 rushing yards of all time. Be nice if he could do it in the first couple of games.

longpig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 11, 2017, 01:14:36 pm

Was Brown even charged?  Even if he was charged it was his first offense in 15 or so seasons. Elliot's been trouble since before he signed.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 11, 2017, 11:23:08 am
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ezekiel-elliotts-potential-suspension-reportedly-will-be-closer-to-six-games/

I'm a Cowboy's fan, and this is upsetting news, but I'm hopeful that D-Mac can make his mark. He's still got something left in the tank!
This ^^^^  Darren can tote the rock behind the best offensive line in football on planet Earth. D MAC will surprise some people. Hell, two years ago he rushed for over 1100 yards after sitting out most of the first 6 games of the season. Darren can get 1300 yards this season and with the maturation of Prescott at QB, the Cowboys will be just fine. With EE sitting out, the 'BOYS will go 11-5 (and still win the NFC East), with EE winning an appeal, the 'BOYS will go 14-2 and be "pick'em" in the Super Bowl against the New England Patriots.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hoghearted

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 17, 2017, 01:03:33 pm
you are very wrong on this one my friend. He's gonna get 6 games.

dang, you're good
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

sickboy

Quote from: Adam Stokes on August 11, 2017, 02:47:14 pm
If McFadden can get 204 yards this season he'll break into the Top 100 rushing yards of all time. Be nice if he could do it in the first couple of games.

If he managed another 1k he'd be top 75 all time.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: longpig on August 11, 2017, 05:30:57 pm
Was Brown even charged?  Even if he was charged it was his first offense in 15 or so seasons. Elliot's been trouble since before he signed.

Charged, convicted and admitted. The league said Elliott was only punished for this specific alleged incident in which there wasn't even enough evidence to move forward with charges.

threeNout

Well this has to be the best opportunity McFadden has ever had since he's been in the NFL.

To start the year as the featured back, on a team with a great O-line and a dual threat QB, that's huge.

Gonna get 6 games at it?  I seriously hope he has a 300 yard game, and goes over 1,000 for the year.

PorkRinds

He and EE both healthy as a 1-2 punch could be lethal with Dak at the helm.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

alohawg

Quote from: threeNout on August 11, 2017, 09:59:34 pm
Well this has to be the best opportunity McFadden has ever had since he's been in the NFL.

To start the year as the featured back, on a team with a great O-line and a dual threat QB, that's huge.

Gonna get 6 games at it?  I seriously hope he has a 300 yard game, and goes over 1,000 for the year.

I hate it, but I'm thinking Morris gets the start.

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

threeNout

Quote from: alohawg on August 12, 2017, 03:14:03 am
I hate it, but I'm thinking Morris gets the start.

I made that comment after reading this last night:

QuoteCowboys' Darren McFadden: To start in Elliott's absence
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

McFadden is expected to start in Ezekiel Elliott's (suspension) absence for the first six games of the regular season, Brandon George of the Dallas Morning News reports.

McFadden said he's been preparing like he's the top guy in Dallas' backfield, and following Friday's news that Elliott will be sidelined until Week 8, it appears the veteran will indeed return to a prominent role. In the wake of DeMarco Murray's departure, McFadden started 10 games during the 2015 season, when he finished with 1,089 rushing yards and three touchdowns, and caught 40 passes for 328 more yards. Although injury limited him to just three appearances last season, McFadden has years of starting experience, as does Alfred Morris, who figures to serve as the Cowboys' No. 2 back in Elliott's absence.

I guess is he gets 3 carries again tonight, or doesn't play at all, we'll have our answer that's he's the starter, or so it would seem.

Tejano Jawg

Elliot update—and all this is giving me major tired-head, to the point I don't care—beyond appealing the 6 games with the NFL, I heard a Dallas beat reporter say the Cowboys might go outside the NFL, to the courts, and file an injunction. If this happens, besides other chaos this will cause, Zeke might still play at the beginning of the season. It puts the case in a sort of limbo, and delays punishment. So for that reason, who knows who the starting RB will be for the opener?

My feeling about McFadden (and his being the number 1 back for a few games) is exactly the same as how I feel about the Hogs this year—I am HOPEFUL. But do we really know? While true, McFadden sat out all but 3 games last year, and certainly didn't take many hits in that time...  ...can we predict how he'll do coming back to full-time duty? Sure we all want him to do well...but has he lost a half a step? How's his football sharpness? As I have said earlier in this thread, I think he's got plenty left. But we'll need to see it on the field. I don't think the Cowboys know either, but a couple weeks ago in a camp press conference, Jason Garrett gushed compliments about McFadden. Most had to do with his work ethic, preparation, attitude, and what a quality human being he is. It was pretty strong.

Beyond his current abilities, and I've mentioned this plenty, this season will be the FIRST time DMac has been behind a solid offensive line—AND—had a quarterback running the offense who didn't suck—AND—related to that point, has a good passing game to keep defenses back (with a healthy Dez and a healthy QB). So one thing is certain—if he gets some quality carries, things are set up nicely for him.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

alohawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on August 12, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
Elliot update—and all this is giving me major tired-head, to the point I don't care—beyond appealing the 6 games with the NFL, I heard a Dallas beat reporter say the Cowboys might go outside the NFL, to the courts, and file an injunction. If this happens, besides other chaos this will cause, Zeke might still play at the beginning of the season. It puts the case in a sort of limbo, and delays punishment. So for that reason, who knows who the starting RB will be for the opener?

My feeling about McFadden (and his being the number 1 back for a few games) is exactly the same as how I feel about the Hogs this year—I am HOPEFUL. But do we really know? While true, McFadden sat out all but 3 games last year, and certainly didn't take many hits in that time...  ...can we predict how he'll do coming back to full-time duty? Sure we all want him to do well...but has he lost a half a step? How's his football sharpness? As I have said earlier in this thread, I think he's got plenty left. But we'll need to see it on the field. I don't think the Cowboys know either, but a couple weeks ago in a camp press conference, Jason Garrett gushed compliments about McFadden. Most had to do with his work ethic, preparation, attitude, and what a quality human being he is. It was pretty strong.

Beyond his current abilities, and I've mentioned this plenty, this season will be the FIRST time DMac has been behind a solid offensive line—AND—had a quarterback running the offense who didn't suck—AND—related to that point, has a good passing game to keep defenses back (with a healthy Dez and a healthy QB). So one thing is certain—if he gets some quality carries, things are set up nicely for him.

It's such a shame, potential wasted. I see a guy who is a mere shadow of who he was a decade ago and maybe 60% at best. If only.......
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HamSammich

Ezekiel Elliot will be the starter. Not Morris or McFadden

Edit- should have explained... I'm not sure because I'm not a cowboy or huge NFL fan but I'm betting Elliot lawyers up and appeals like brady did... during appeal process I'm pretty sure he can play.

sickboy

Quote from: HamSammich on August 12, 2017, 02:06:45 pm
Ezekiel Elliot will be the starter. Not Morris or McFadden

Edit- should have explained... I'm not sure because I'm not a cowboy or huge NFL fan but I'm betting Elliot lawyers up and appeals like brady did... during appeal process I'm pretty sure he can play.

I highly doubt it. Zeke isn't Tom Brady. Tom Brady is the GOAT and beloved for over a decade. Also... we're talking Tom Brady taking air out of footballs vs Zeke beating a woman. Ray Rice's career was over when that video came out. Zeke is shades away from that situation. Zeke may get a game or two shaved, but he's not going to be starting the season for Dallas.

threeNout

Big Question:  Does suspension mean not allowed to practice?

Had he been practicing at all?

HamSammich

Quote from: sickboy on August 12, 2017, 04:01:16 pm
I highly doubt it. Zeke isn't Tom Brady. Tom Brady is the GOAT and beloved for over a decade. Also... we're talking Tom Brady taking air out of footballs vs Zeke beating a woman. Ray Rice's career was over when that video came out. Zeke is shades away from that situation. Zeke may get a game or two shaved, but he's not going to be starting the season for Dallas.

Radio said today he's already lawyering up with some of the best in the country. Don't think I'm out of bounds.

TrueBlue

Quote from: threeNout on August 12, 2017, 04:35:03 pm
Big Question:  Does suspension mean not allowed to practice?

Had he been practicing at all?

He can participate fully in preseason and in practice.

TrueBlue

Quote from: HamSammich on August 12, 2017, 06:10:09 pm
Radio said today he's already lawyering up with some of the best in the country. Don't think I'm out of bounds.

Max two games shaved off - not the whole six.

NFL has been working this for a year, it won't go from 6 to 0.

threeNout

Quote from: TrueBlue on August 12, 2017, 06:28:46 pm
He can participate fully in preseason and in practice.

so is he going to play tonight?

threeNout

McFadden looked just fine tonight, add the other starters in and he'll be making big plays.

That stiff arm is as brutal as ever.

sickboy

Quote from: threeNout on August 12, 2017, 10:00:38 pm
McFadden looked just fine tonight, add the other starters in and he'll be making big plays.

That stiff arm is as brutal as ever.

I'm a Rams fan. But that stiff arm brought back good memories.

threeNout

Quote from: sickboy on August 13, 2017, 03:06:00 am
I'm a Rams fan. But that stiff arm brought back good memories.

I think whatever speed DMac has lost since his combine days (if any) is just due to the weight he's added.

He'd almost look skinny at times as a freshman here, he looks about 10-12 pounds heavier now, and it looks like it's all muscle. You can keep adding strength past the age of 50, and it looks like every ounce he's gained has gone straight to the strength department.

Looked stronger finishing runs than ever last night, and of course that stiff arm put that CB to the ground.

He's still an atypical back that defenses aren't accustomed to seeing, and he's probably less fun to meet on the 2nd level than ever before. 

He looked like a monster running out there last night, looked huge, you just don't typically see guys that big and ripped blasting thru the hole.  Pound for pound, maybe one of the strongest guys in the league.

I hope he still has the speed to take it to the house every now and then.

Dr. Starcs

That's the concern. He was 4th in the league in rushing two years ago, but no touchdowns.

Garrett can't talk highly enough about him though - the player he is and teammate he is.

Hope dmac has at least one more great year ahead of him.

Cletus

That video just looked like a good, complete NFL back that could still make someone who is out of position pay. I didn't notice any plays where he was run down from behind. ???
See, what had happened was........

zebradynasty

DMac to me hasn't lost that much speed. I bet he's still in the 4.4-4.5 40 range easily. I don't think he's subject to rip off a 60-70 yarder at anytime but he wasn't doing that his rookie year! If he can protect his legs and shoulders he'll more than adequate fill in for Zek.