Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perry decommits

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, July 05, 2017, 09:54:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

Recruiting big time basketball players is like flying kites. The longer the string and the longer the kite flies the more likely the string will break and the kite freely lands in another zip code.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

RealHog

I'm waiting until after this season to break out my pitchfork, but at this point it should be a known fact that CMA and his staff can't croot. 2015 whiff, then Monk, then Perry. Very mediocre classes all around. Meanwhile Will Wade at LSU added Two 4 stars in first 60 days.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RealHog on July 06, 2017, 08:55:07 pm
I'm waiting until after this season to break out my pitchfork, but at this point it should be a known fact that CMA and his staff can't croot. 2015 whiff, then Monk, then Perry. Very mediocre classes all around. Meanwhile Will Wade at LSU added Two 4 stars in first 60 days.

Watch out for LSU. They got a couple 4-stars....

RealHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:59:25 pm

Just an example of what a real recruiter can do in a short time at lower profile SEC program. Look out for Avery at Alabama in SEC in the short term. If Cuonzo Martin can get his coaching on par with his recruiting they will be very dangerous.

Hawg Red

Quote from: RealHog on July 06, 2017, 09:07:07 pm
Just an example of what a real recruiter can do in a short time at lower profile SEC program. Look out for Avery at Alabama in SEC in the short term. If Cuonzo Martin can get his coaching on par with his recruiting they will be very dangerous.

Will Wade has not proven to be a "real" recruiter. He may be off to a good start but far, far from proven.

RealHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 09:22:21 pm
Will Wade has not proven to be a "real" recruiter. He may be off to a good start but far, far from proven.

Well at least LSU fans won't just chuckle hopelessly to themselves when they see we are targeting an out of state recruit. Just save your breath and minutes on your phone CMA.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:59:25 pm

Isn't  what we've been saying for 11 years? Watch out for Arkansas we got a great couple of fours. Watch out for the Hogs we just got these couple of fours to commit.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HogCzar1

I'm waiting until after this season to break out my pitchfork, but at this point it should be a known fact that CMA and his staff can't croot. 2015 whiff, then Monk, then Perry. Very mediocre classes all around. Meanwhile Will Wade at LSU added Two 4 stars in first 60 days

Josh LeBlanc would be number 3.

Tusks

Quote from: LRHawg on July 06, 2017, 10:11:19 am
Arkansas recruiting: Spend a ton of resources getting on kids early and getting them to commit, then pray they don't blow up. Sucks.

Kind of like that WR from NLR a couple years ago.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawg Red

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 09:55:05 pm
Isn't  what we've been saying for 11 years? Watch out for Arkansas we got a great couple of fours. Watch out for the Hogs we just got these couple of fours to commit.

Exactly. It doesn't mean much. It doesn't prove that they have a great recruiter (not yet, anyway). I don't see the need to prop up other schools/coaches to drag Anderson down. So if someone is going to do it, at least make sure you have good enough ammo. Will Wade is a box of BBs right now.

texas tush hog

Quote from: skinnypig on July 06, 2017, 10:22:28 am
if it is truly because of his dads health, closest school is Fla. St. right?

36 miles.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 08:00:11 am
Exactly. It doesn't mean much. It doesn't prove that they have a great recruiter (not yet, anyway). I don't see the need to prop up other schools/coaches to drag Anderson down. So if someone is going to do it, at least make sure you have good enough ammo. Will Wade is a box of BBs right now.

I really don't know if Wade is a good recruiter. Nor will I prop him up. I just know Anderson ISN'T a good recruiter and I'm tired of seeing mediocre classes and being told how great they are.

Without Perry the 2018 class isn't impressive. According to 247, one 4 and two 3's. The 2017 class one 4, three 3's. That class will only get you to 3rd or 4th in the SEC, and bounced in the first round of the NCAA's or the NIT. And the frustrating thing is many fans thought these two classes would bring Arkansas to former glory. Doesn't seem like the case now. 

And I will go on record now. If MA doesn't make it to the sweet 16 this year I want him fired. Arkansas should and can do better then him.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Dominicanhog

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 07, 2017, 09:43:14 am
I really don't know if Wade is a good recruiter. Nor will I prop him up. I just know Anderson ISN'T a good recruiter and I'm tired of seeing mediocre classes and being told how great they are.

Without Perry the 2018 class isn't impressive. According to 247, one 4 and two 3's. The 2017 class one 4, three 3's. That class will only get you to 3rd or 4th in the SEC, and bounced in the first round of the NCAA's or the NIT. And the frustrating thing is many fans thought these two classes would bring Arkansas to former glory. Doesn't seem like the case now. 

And I will go on record now. If MA doesn't make it to the sweet 16 this year I want him fired. Arkansas should and can do better then him.

You never cease to amaze me at how many stupid post you can come up with in one day...

KlubhouseKonnected

Should and can do better... who?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hawg Red

I would have to say that your expectations are a little unrealistic. You'd want a lot of coaches fired. My opinion is that we really need to get back to consistently making the NCAA tournament before we start demanding Sweet 16s and Elite 8s. I think that is reasonable. Should we already be at that point? That's is a fair argument, but here we are, and Anderson did make it to the tournament this past season and the team showed well even in defeat against the eventual National Champion (we lost by 31 the last time we were in that exact position). Mike Anderson is the best coach we've had since Nolan Richardson, so I'm unsure if the claim can be made that we can do better than him. If so, why haven't we thus far since Nolan's firing? Had we missed the tournament this past season, I would have been all for letting him go (I posted as much multiple times). This past season was a big make-or-break year for a lot of fans. For fans like me, he made it. I believe in him. He's earned my patience. Losing Reggie Perry has no effect on this coming seasons happenings. If he makes the tournament this season, I think everyone should be impressed. Especially those like you who believe the talent is inadequate. I believe the talent is adequate but we lost perhaps are three most important players and a good chuck of the talent on the roster lies with the underclassmen. Just show me we can get back to the tournament, win a game, and be competitive in the second round again. Year after that, then we can talk about the second weekend with any kind of seriousness.

Hawg Red

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 07, 2017, 10:45:50 am
Should and can do better... who?

Good luck to him answering that question. Mike's the best we've done post-Nolan. Very good odds he IS the best we can do.

King Kong

Quote from: skinnypig on July 06, 2017, 10:22:28 am
if it is truly because of his dads health, closest school is Fla. St. right?

It is. I'm sure Jonathan Issac's size and one and done status has a big influence as well

sunalmighty79

How sick can your dad be when you aren't due for college for another year smh

mizzouman

Quote from: sunalmighty79 on July 07, 2017, 11:51:29 am
How sick can your dad be when you aren't due for college for another year smh
We don't know what 'sick' means.  Could be anything from he's terminally sick to that fact that he's OK but just cannot travel far distances. 

Either way, let the kid be and move on.

psooie

Nobody is getting fired unless they don't make the NCAA.

willyacs

Miss St thinks they have him. Not sure how that helps with his dad's health, if it's true. How can he play the rest of the summer with the wings? Why not move on now?

Hawg Red

Quote from: willyacs on July 07, 2017, 12:43:46 pm
Miss St thinks they have him. Not sure how that helps with his dad's health, if it's true. How can he play the rest of the summer with the wings? Why not move on now?

Unless the family is moving to Mississippi somewhere close to Starkville, I would have to say that his reason for decommitting was clearly BS if he ends up at MSU.

bville_hog

You don't decommit from arkansas to go to Miss St, unless funny business going on, but I have never believed holland to be clean going back to UCLA days and Miss St is all about cheating they are just better at it than ole miss so far.

King Kong

Quote from: bville_hog on July 07, 2017, 01:45:34 pm
You don't decommit from arkansas to go to Miss St, unless funny business going on, but I have never believed holland to be clean going back to UCLA days and Miss St is all about cheating they are just better at it than ole miss so far.

His dad did play for Miss St

pignparadise

Quote from: bville_hog on July 07, 2017, 01:45:34 pm
Maybe maybe not. His daddy played there and led the SEC in assists for 2 years.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on July 07, 2017, 01:53:20 pm
His dad did play for Miss St

Shouldn't matter if the reason for decommitting was his father's health. What does going to Mississippi State help with that? He's still almost 400 miles away unless they are moving to Mississippi.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 02:14:37 pm
Shouldn't matter if the reason for decommitting was his father's health. What does going to Mississippi State help with that? He's still almost 400 miles away unless they are moving to Mississippi.

I'm not arguing anything about his fathers health. I agree with your statement above.

But, in regards to the only way Miss State could be considered is by cheating I disagree. His Dad played there and they probably don't have the same negative connotations about Starkville as 99% of the rest of the country does.

zebradynasty

IF Arkansas doesn't make it to the sweet 16 and they fire MA (WON"T HAPPEN) I hope they put away all the sharp objects out of your reach when the reality sits in that Arkansas is NOT going to attract an established coach with a great recruiting record as his replacement. Recruiting is about building relationships with the player. I have never heard one recruit say anything negative about MA. Nothing like he's fake, not genuine, or he doesn't understand today's player...nothing. So the question is why can't he land these 4-5 stars from other states? I'm not sure why it's so inconceivable that maybe it's not MA. He has the same issues that 2 other college Hall of Fame coaches that coached here had...we turned on them for it and look what happened. The allusion of grandeur is what is killing our program. UA is not North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas or Duke...that's not to say we can't be a top ten program again. But staying in the top 10 year after year is asking a little much.

Sapperhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 02:14:37 pm

This.  Would be absolute bullsh*t.

LRHawg

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 07, 2017, 02:32:50 pm
But staying in the top 10 year after year is asking a little much.

I like Mike, but if we'd gotten Bill Self in 2002, you don't think we'd be a blue blood in Basketball right now?*

*assuming he stayed.

mizzouman

Quote from: LRHawg on July 07, 2017, 03:00:51 pm
I like Mike, but if we'd gotten Bill Self in 2002, you don't think we'd be a blue blood in Basketball right now?*

*assuming he stayed.
I don't.  It would have required your AD to 'over look' or 'look the other way' when Self did something.  AD at Illinois did not put up with it. 

Self runs the ku athletic department.  He's the most powerful man in the state of kansas.  You don't want that.

zebradynasty

Quote from: LRHawg on July 07, 2017, 03:00:51 pm

*assuming he stayed.

Nope Kansas had a great program before Self got there. Like the #2-3 winningest program all time so that alone gets you in the recruits door. He is a good coach but I do not believe he would have replicated what he is doing in Kansas here. But he would have been a major upgrade over what we did hire in 2002!

lookawayquick

Nothing attractive about Starkville.  Hoops program is mediocre at best.  I do understand the legacy attraction but does that really over take Fayetteville, stronger program and playing with your buds?  C'mon Reggie make a decision for you.  Your dad will become a Hog fan!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 07, 2017, 01:15:01 pm
Unless the family is moving to Mississippi somewhere close to Starkville, I would have to say that his reason for decommitting was clearly BS if he ends up at MSU.

Miss St is only 7 hours away by car. That means you can leave at 10am and be there by 6 even with a stop or two. His dad playing there does matter. I am sure he has friends there who could put him up instead of paying the expense of a hotel room which if he is ill is a big deal as well.

Arkansas is 13 hours away. That's a very far drive for healthy people. Again, flying isn't cheap and is a big deal to a family that is racking up medical bills.

What's bs here is the belief that Perry is looking at Miss St. because his rankings went up. Think about that. He had an offer from them when he committed last time. Claiming he decommitted because the big boys got in his ear and then chose Miss St what wouldn't make sense.

nwahogfan1

I just wish on these very high profile kids especially those who flip or ones who seem to have a lot more spending money the NCAA would go under cover to find out what is going on.   Seems like a school who has been harmed has to do the initial investigation   and then hand their information over to them anything was found.

Also i think if NCAA would punish hard more high profile coaches it would really cut down the cheating. Level out the recruiting playing field for all. Seems like 90+% of all 5 star kids go to only a few schools every year. Why?  Well go find out and do an investigation if things don't check out.

I talked to a head Coach at a Big Ten school a few years ago at the Real Deal tournament and he told me if fans knew the cheating going on in recruiting most wouldn't watch the game anymore.

nwahogfan1

I agree. I was hoping Scotty would really help to add more out of state studs. I did see more offers being made but so far no results. Mike needs to add a really high profile recruiter with strong ties nationally or we better hope our state keeps producing studs.

We need more size especially those who like to work down low.  So I wait.

AlmaHog2011

It comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for these elite players. Except on the rare occasion that parents are above the corruption. Money is impossible to trace and there is a bunch of it on the AAU circuit. Mike will not cheat and I admire him greatly for not cheating!!!
Want to win but support Mike and the way he goes about his business. And I think he's about to start winning at a high rate.

redneckfriend

Mike  Anderson won't (and shouldn't) be fired unless Long has no choice. First I would say that I agree with others- Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter and probably partly for the same reason Nolan was a poor recruiter. He has been around too long to cater too much to an entitled 16 or 17 year old's whims and he just doesn't have the salesman personality. Nolan, after he won in '94, also came to believe I suspect that he was "too big to fail" and didn't take advantage of the NC in recruiting like he might have. Mike of course doesn't have that problem but there is something similar going on- he knows exactly how much is expected and why.

Secondly- I don't think Mike will ever meet the expectations of fans (which are unrealistic). He is essentially in the spot of getting the few "good" in-state kids and then coaching them in a fairly average way so that he gets in the tournament most years (and almost always at a low seed and out pretty quickly).

He won't and shouldn't be fired because Long realizes that the rehabilitation of the basketball program is a long term process. Arkansas isn't Indiana, it isn't UCLA. It isn't possible to just move on to the next in line for a coaching opening after the events surrounding the Richardson firing (which are on both Broyles and Richardson for the way they each allowed their egos to transcend what was good for the program). Anderson is the bridge to the next chapter but only if the school (as a sort of mea culpa) shows patience and signals the importance of stability to the coaching fraternity. As long as Anderson does "okay" he should be okay.

HogCzar1

Quote from: redneckfriend on July 09, 2017, 10:50:42 am
Mike  Anderson won't (and shouldn't) be fired unless Long has no choice. First I would say that I agree with others- Mike Anderson is a poor recruiter and probably partly for the same reason Nolan was a poor recruiter. He has been around too long to cater too much to an entitled 16 or 17 year old's whims and he just doesn't have the salesman personality. Nolan, after he won in '94, also came to believe I suspect that he was "too big to fail" and didn't take advantage of the NC in recruiting like he might have. Mike of course doesn't have that problem but there is something similar going on- he knows exactly how much is expected and why.

Secondly- I don't think Mike will ever meet the expectations of fans (which are unrealistic). He is essentially in the spot of getting the few "good" in-state kids and then coaching them in a fairly average way so that he gets in the tournament most years (and almost always at a low seed and out pretty quickly).

He won't and shouldn't be fired because Long realizes that the rehabilitation of the basketball program is a long term process. Arkansas isn't Indiana, it isn't UCLA. It isn't possible to just move on to the next in line for a coaching opening after the events surrounding the Richardson firing (which are on both Broyles and Richardson for the way they each allowed their egos to transcend what was good for the program). Anderson is the bridge to the next chapter but only if the school (as a sort of mea culpa) shows patience and signals the importance of stability to the coaching fraternity. As long as Anderson does "okay" he should be okay.

Few questions.

1. Given the fact that we do have a national championship banner along with a number of final 4 banners in the arena, what exactly are "realistic" expectations?

2. Also, are we now as a fan base expected to accept the fact that it is unrealistic to think we should achieve at a minimum a sweet 16 level of success?

3. Next, in terms of recruiting we are arguably dependent on Arkansas kids now for any future success. Even though we had some connections, we were unable to keep a 5 star kid committed that last year said Arkansas was his Kentucky.
Have we just given up any expectations that we should recruit well nationally?

4. And, finally, do we now accept the fact that we are dependent on Arkansas kids that don't reach a 5 star level? Once a kid reaches that level, we seem to not be the favorites anymore most of the time. We note there are 2 kids now for 2020 that are potential 5 stars. One of them is transferring to NLR, which has not been kind to the Hogs. Should we accept that he is too good for Arkansas now?

redneckfriend

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 09, 2017, 02:29:17 pm
Few questions.

1. Given the fact that we do have a national championship banner along with a number of final 4 banners in the arena, what exactly are "realistic" expectations?

2. Also, are we now as a fan base expected to accept the fact that it is unrealistic to think we should achieve at a minimum a sweet 16 level of success?

3. Next, in terms of recruiting we are arguably dependent on Arkansas kids now for any future success. Even though we had some connections, we were unable to keep a 5 star kid committed that last year said Arkansas was his Kentucky.
Have we just given up any expectations that we should recruit well nationally?

4. And, finally, do we now accept the fact that we are dependent on Arkansas kids that don't reach a 5 star level? Once a kid reaches that level, we seem to not be the favorites anymore most of the time. We note there are 2 kids now for 2020 that are potential 5 stars. One of them is transferring to NLR, which has not been kind to the Hogs. Should we accept that he is too good for Arkansas now?

I'll give my opinion to those questions. Since they are interconnected I'll start with a common preface:

Much of that success that people now measure the program against was due to Nolan Richardson who I think most agree was a revolutionary coach. He wasn't a great recruiter in general although he did have moments but won because he employed a system few teams of the day were comfortable playing against. Mike Anderson is no revolutionary coach. He still uses the up tempo concepts but they are not as well taught nor are they as effective against teams today. Coaches today rely on recruiting better players than the opposition and I don't see Mike Anderson having that strength.  So-

1) You can't measure Mike Anderson's tenure against the success of Nolan Richardson (or Eddie Sutton- another outstanding, although not revolutionary coach). There just isn't any basis for comparison and I think that is pretty obvious at this point.

2) Regular sweet sixteens are almost certainly out of reach. It's possible that with favorable seeding and a little luck he might reach the final 16 occasionally but it doesn't seem likely to be a regular event (and I say possible, not that he will).

3) As far as recruiting out-of-state kids- I doubt there will be any 5*s enticed to Arkansas and not many 4*s. Mike, like Nolan before him, seems to rely on family connections to get those level of players and there are only so many personal relationships with fathers, uncles etc. one coach can develop that pay off in landing a 4* with no other connection to the state (and not to lay all of this on Mike- I think it would be hard for anybody- Nolan always said it was. It would take a truly great recruiter to get one or two out-of-state 4*s every year).

4)  Since Mike has never been particularly strong as a recruiter I expect him to do what he has done recently with in-state kids. He has a reasonable chance with in-state 4*s and much less with in-state 5*s. After all with one and done these kids have almost no emotional investment in the college they attend. Calipari has proven that he can both showcase outstanding freshman and still develop a team that can compete at the highest level. Why would they take the risk of going to Arkansas when it is all about the draft lottery and Calipari has a track record? People get down on Monk and it was disappointing but really- what would most do when the monetary stakes are as high as they are? Add to that the greater salesmanship of some other SEC coaches, the eternal appeal of programs like Duke and this looks like it is good as it will get with recruiting. Depending on family and the motivation of the player Mike could snag an in-state 5* but the odds are against it for any particular player.

So, as I argued before, why should Jeff Long keep Anderson? Because although he's pretty sure Anderson won't win at a level necessary to satisfy expectations created by past success he also believes Anderson will win enough not to embarrass Long or the school. That gives Long the opportunity to demonstrate to the community of basketball coaches that the school has moved on from the turbulence of the recent past and is willing to give a coach time if he does a reasonable job and because of Anderson's relationship with Richardson and his connection with the glory days he is the perfect vehicle. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Long and Anderson discussed this before Mike agreed to come.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 09, 2017, 03:36:25 am
Miss St is only 7 hours away by car. That means you can leave at 10am and be there by 6 even with a stop or two. His dad playing there does matter. I am sure he has friends there who could put him up instead of paying the expense of a hotel room which if he is ill is a big deal as well.

Arkansas is 13 hours away. That's a very far drive for healthy people. Again, flying isn't cheap and is a big deal to a family that is racking up medical bills.

What's bs here is the belief that Perry is looking at Miss St. because his rankings went up. Think about that. He had an offer from them when he committed last time. Claiming he decommitted because the big boys got in his ear and then chose Miss St what wouldn't make sense.

I'm not making the claim that Perry is looking to go to Mississippi State because his ranking went up. I'm not even convinced the kid is going to Mississppi State. I'm just not convinced that health reasons are the real reason why he's decomitted based on the way the whole thing unfolded. Just gave an "off" feeling. Also, the mom saying she still thought he should be a Hog was very telling to me. I don't want to make any accusations but this just isn't passing the sniff test for me. Reggie came across as very genuine when he committed, but I did not get that same feeling as he decommitted. Penned a lengthy committment letter but just gave a couple sentences as he backed out. That, to me, is the kind of thing you see from someone who is maybe not being honest or genuine. I hope I'm off base.

HogFoo

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 09, 2017, 08:25:15 pm
I'm not making the claim that Perry is looking to go to Mississippi State because his ranking went up. I'm not even convinced the kid is going to Mississppi State. I'm just not convinced that health reasons are the real reason why he's decomitted based on the way the whole thing unfolded. Just gave an "off" feeling. Also, the mom saying she still thought he should be a Hog was very telling to me. I don't want to make any accusations but this just isn't passing the sniff test for me. Reggie came across as very genuine when he committed, but I did not get that same feeling as he decommitted. Penned a lengthy committment letter but just gave a couple sentences as he backed out. That, to me, is the kind of thing you see from someone who is maybe not being honest or genuine. I hope I'm off base.
id have to say that id be agreeing with this.  I mean, Perry had given a very nicely penned "Arkansas is my Kentucky" type of commitment letter and then,  on the decommit it's like 'due to my dads health"  I mean, you would think that there would have been a "man I hate that I can't follow my dream and be a razorback, it's killing me that I wont be able to wear the cardinal red and play in bud Walton and have all the fans go rabid as we try to win a title " etc..etc...   when you look at the original commit and then the decomit  letters.  something is indeed off.  it just doesn't smell right.   someone must have had an awful big suitcase is all I'm saying.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

redneckfriend

Quote from: HogFoo on July 09, 2017, 08:36:38 pm
id have to say that id be agreeing with this.  I mean, Perry had given a very nicely penned "Arkansas is my Kentucky" type of commitment letter and then,  on the decommit it's like 'due to my dads health"  I mean, you would think that there would have been a "man I hate that I can't follow my dream and be a razorback, it's killing me that I wont be able to wear the cardinal red and play in bud Walton and have all the fans go rabid as we try to win a title " etc..etc...   when you look at the original commit and then the decomit  letters.  something is indeed off.  it just doesn't smell right.   someone must have had an awful big suitcase is all I'm saying.

It's always seems to be a "big suitcase" when things don't go as we would like. It's a good story anyway to avoid reality. Maybe the better explanation is that he just decided the grass was greener elsewhere and the "Arkansas is my Kentucky" was a little bit of self deception to justify his decision to himself (because really- who in their right mind would buy that) and he was a little embarrassed and wanted to get the whole unpleasant business over with very quickly, perhaps too quickly- sort of like any 17 year old. Fans need to face it- when it comes to high end talent in basketball (less so in football) the "big suitcase" theory is pretty weak- all a coach needs to do is convince a kid he will get him into the lottery- that is a lot bigger suitcase than any college program can offer.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogFoo on July 09, 2017, 08:36:38 pm

I wouldn't especially because of the commitment tweet.

The more you said the more people will try to twist your words, just like this case.

His father's illness has been publicly corroborated. Basically you guys are calling the kid a liar when there is zero evidence to back your claims.

I'm not calling you out per se, but pointing out the weakness of the stated opinions.

To me, him continuing to play for the Hawks is the strangest part of his decommit. It's a confusing situation all around.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 09, 2017, 09:48:35 pm
I wouldn't especially because of the commitment tweet.

The more you said the more people will try to twist your words, just like this case.

His father's illness has been publicly corroborated. Basically you guys are calling the kid a liar when there is zero evidence to back your claims.

I'm not calling you out per se, but pointing out the weakness of the stated opinions.

To me, him continuing to play for the Hawks is the strangest part of his decommit. It's a confusing situation all around.

Who is saying dad isn't sick?

Just not convinced that is the actually reason why he's decommitted. Dad could be protecting his son by just saying to use his situation as the excuse. If he picks FSU or somewhere close, then it all makes sense and things start adding up. Right now, it doesn't feel right.

Hawg Red

Quote from: redneckfriend on July 09, 2017, 09:39:12 pm
It's always seems to be a "big suitcase" when things don't go as we would like. It's a good story anyway to avoid reality. Maybe the better explanation is that he just decided the grass was greener elsewhere and the "Arkansas is my Kentucky" was a little bit of self deception to justify his decision to himself (because really- who in their right mind would buy that) and he was a little embarrassed and wanted to get the whole unpleasant business over with very quickly, perhaps too quickly- sort of like any 17 year old. Fans need to face it- when it comes to high end talent in basketball (less so in football) the "big suitcase" theory is pretty weak- all a coach needs to do is convince a kid he will get him into the lottery- that is a lot bigger suitcase than any college program can offer.

Right now, I feel like your theory is more likely than the reason that is being given. I'd like to believe Reggie but I'm not there yet. I can only feel what I feel, and I don't feel like we've been given the truth. Again, I'd love to be flat wrong and still hope to be.

HogCzar1

Quote from: redneckfriend on July 09, 2017, 09:39:12 pm

Some of your earlier comments were interesting. I think most of us are of the opinion that Reggie Perry, for whatever reason, will not be a Razorback.

I would assume based on your comments, that both 2020 recruits Moses Moody and Chris Moore would both be extreme longshots as well to play at Arkansas. Especially since both are currently 5* level players in their class.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 09, 2017, 10:30:36 pm
Who is saying dad isn't sick?

Just not convinced that is the actually reason why he's decommitted. Dad could be protecting his son by just saying to use his situation as the excuse. If he picks FSU or somewhere close, then it all makes sense and things start adding up. Right now, it doesn't feel right.

So why jump the gun about calling him a liar if time will bear out the real story.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 10, 2017, 10:38:24 am
So why jump the gun about calling him a liar if time will bear out the real story.

To me, there is a difference in thinking someone is lying based on what is observed and what is felt and definitively calling someone a liar. I consider someone a liar if I know they are lying and I don't know that the Perry family is lying. I just think they are because I can't shake that feeling. I hope they aren't. Actually, I hope Daddy Perry gets better (if that's possible) and Reggie can still be a Hog.

Again, I'm not doubting that the father is having health problems. I just can't shake the feeling that it is being used as the out here. And I'll state one more time that I truly and honestly do hope I'm wrong about all of this.

Hawg Red