Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perry decommits

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, July 05, 2017, 09:54:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 16, 2017, 09:44:01 pm
You have a better grip on recruiting than I so I can't argue your point.  The only difference in what you stated is perception.  I've lived extended periods of time in several states and the perception of the state was the same in each state I lived in.  I love this state so I was offended but at the end of the day, it wasn't the de-commit I was referencing, it was the mother's tweets.  She made a few references to the perceptions I've heard during my travels.  Not every state and fan base is PERCIEVED the same way and the mother touched some points I've heard often from non-Arkansans.  In my opinion, it's just hard for a BB coach at UA to reverse the perception and get kids to come here when a small minority of the fan base reinforces the perception.  Location matters to these kids, black, urban kids...  who are the majority of the basketball world.  I just think it is silly for people to take to social media and question kids who sign elsewhere and it's not a good look for any program.
Those are true. The perception of Arkansas hasn't changed much over the years. Usually people think negative on first thought.
That is an amazing thing when you think about it, because this goes way back. But it's been passed down through the years.

BUT...the caveat to that is it's just that: perception. These are ignorant people(in the nice definition, meaning 'no first-hand experience'), or idiots. Ever notice that people who actually come here and see for themselves tend not to leave? It's the same story all the time: 'well I was expecting this, but it wasn't like that'. Arkansas grows on you. People tend to put down roots here. People move here from other places and decide to stay here. Good weather, good people, less people, great natural beauty, and good economies in some parts. Perfect example: Chris Mortenson. Alex is long gone and he has an NFL job that really would serve him well to be elsewhere, probably(this is pre-cancer, obviously). But he has chosen to stay here. That speaks volumes.
I do agree with Rex Nelson that if they don't get control of the crime situation in LR it's going to spiral downward for LR for years to come. The crime has always been up there, and the schools in constant turmoil, but now it's off the charts. This could have long-term repercussions for LR and also to Arkansas as a whole if it's handled and curbed.

Kevin McPherson

The_Iceman

Wanted to come to Arkansas. Didn't want to play for Mike Anderson.

AirWarren

Good for him. And best of luck.

Que the hogville titty baby brigade......

AirWarren

sickboy

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:40:50 am

Then why commit to him in the first place and stay for so long?

Porked Tongue

The Hogfather

Quote from: sickboy on July 17, 2017, 12:11:01 pm
Then why commit to him in the first place and stay for so long?

It is all bullshiz and has nothing to do with Arkansas. 

GoHogzzGo

WTH, I thought he wanted to be "closer to family in Georgia", which my 5th grade geography tells me Starkville is not that much closer. It is hard to get there as well.

It is like committing to Georgia in football and decommiting to Vandy so you could be closer to Kansas City. Still not close, and a worse program in the sport.

With offers outstanding from Kansas and Kentucky. I don't get it.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hoglady

Surprised.
Figured he'd end up at Florida St.
Weird - Howland was there when he committed to Arkansas, don't understand the change of heart and end up at Ms. St. Arkansas is currently the better program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The_Iceman

Quote from: hoglady on July 17, 2017, 12:27:37 pm
Surprised.
Figured he'd end up at Florida St.
Weird - Howland was there when he committed to Arkansas, don't understand the change of heart and end up there. Arkansas is currently the better program.

Better program, but not coached by someone you want to play for if you want to be ready for the NBA.

hoglady

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 12:28:40 pm
Better program, but not coached by someone you want to play for if you want to be ready for the NBA.

Howland is a good coach - always liked him at UCLA.
But his 2 years at Ms. St. have been less than impressive.
We'll see what he does in year 3.

Kid thinks he's a one and done player - seems like his NBA prospects would be better on a good Arkansas team.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

skinnypig

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 12:28:40 pm
NBA teams could care less where you play in college or for whom

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The Hogfather

Quote from: hoglady on July 17, 2017, 12:34:01 pm

Kid thinks he's a one and done player - seems like his NBA prospects would be better on a good Arkansas team.
Quote from: skinnypig on July 17, 2017, 12:35:07 pm
NBA teams could care less where you play in college or for whom

Exactly.  People are grasping at straws to try and make this make sense and seem less $hady.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

skinnypig

this kid gave the reason for decomitting, and decision today shows he was being truthful.  a 7 hour drive as apposed to 14 hrs. So why are some Arkansas fans trying to make something out of nothing

The Hogfather

Quote from: skinnypig on July 17, 2017, 12:39:28 pm
this kid gave the reason for decomitting, and decision today shows he was being truthful.  a 7 hour drive as apposed to 14 hrs. So why are some Arkansas fans trying to make something out of nothing

Ha!  Talk about a stretch.

Paul

State BB recruiting has seen a meteorite rise since Howland arrived...sorta like OM FB before they got exposed ;)

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 12:36:36 pm
Exactly.  People are grasping at straws to try and make this make sense and seem less $hady.

This absolutely makes no sense.
I get that many thought he blew up and was getting attention from big time programs - thus the change of heart. Then others like me thought it really was his Dad's health and he'd end up at Florida St. or some place close.
But the Ms. St. commitment just doesn't make a lot of sense.

parallaxpig

Fl St, Ga, Ga Tech, Auburn, maybe. Ms St plz.....
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

AirWarren

Waddling in self loathe.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Paul on July 17, 2017, 12:43:31 pm
State BB recruiting has seen a meteorite rise since Howland arrived...sorta like OM FB before they got exposed ;)

No doubt.  I'm sure it is just their outstanding program, GREAT coach (I understand he's a decent coach, or at least he was back in the day at one of the best historic programs ever), beautiful surroundings, etc........

You know, just like all of the stuff we heard about Ole Miss football when they just randomly started pulling in top 5 class after top 5 class.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:40:50 am
You are a joke and many other things. You think this has to do with Mike you are mistaken.

Some need to look closer to the staff that went to Italy with Reggie. You may start finding some things. That's fine tho, Ben has done wonders with 5 stars. Check Newman and how happy he was. Obviously had nothing to do with pops health tho.

Paul

Quote from: hoglady on July 17, 2017, 12:34:01 pm

you should google him about his UCLA stint..don't think you'll like him after you read a couple of the articles

Paul

Quote from: hoglady on July 17, 2017, 12:45:05 pm
This absolutely makes no sense.
I get that many thought he blew up and was getting attention from big time programs - thus the change of heart. Then others like me thought it really was his Dad's health and he'd end up at Florida St. or some place close.
But the Ms. St. commitment just doesn't make a lot of sense.
no sense but maybe dollars

870hogfan

Omg the Hogs basketball team is trolling him on twitter! 😂

The Hogfather

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 17, 2017, 01:06:44 pm

Can you post some?

The Hogfather

Quote from: azhog10 on July 17, 2017, 01:01:35 pm
You are a joke and many other things. You think this has to do with Mike you are mistaken.

Some need to look closer to the staff that went to Italy with Reggie. You may start finding some things. That's fine tho, Ben has done wonders with 5 stars. Check Newman and how happy he was. Obviously had nothing to do with pops health tho.

I had actually forgotten about Newman.

AirWarren

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 17, 2017, 01:06:44 pm

They better be ready to back up that mouth this winter. All fun and games now.

Paul

looks like they took down Macon's tweet

MB Hog

I've never been to Starkville, but have heard numerous times it is a boring place in the middle of nowhere.  Can't, for the life of me, understand why someone who can choose his school from anywhere in the country would choose MSU.

For Perry, consider the following:
Location - NO
Coaching - Maybe, but plenty of better coaches out there in better locations
Legacy (of his dad) - Maybe, but that likely would have played out during his original commitment
Proximity to home - NO; closer to home than Fayetteville, but doesn't qualify as close to home
Education - NO; plans to be a one and done.  Not that MSU has a stellar reputation in the first place

Money - Seems most likely that he has been offered some sort of extra benefits under the table.  Ben Howland has signed and/or received commitments from 7 ESPN Top 100 players since he took over in 2015.  He has a reputation as a decent coach, but getting that many top players to MSU is fishy.  (See Location, Coaching, and Education above).

Still not too upset about it.  As with Monk, getting a top player for one year is fool's gold unless your program is built on that premise.  I'd rather get high-quality 3-stars mixed with a few 4-stars who all fit the system and will give us 2 - 4 years of development, learning and executing the system to perfection than to have to find a way to feature your one-and-done player to the detriment of the system and the other players.

The types of players we have coming in this year and next seem to be the best fit for the Razorback system that we've had since Anderson got here.  These guys are long, athletic, and interchangeable.  And several of them can hit from distance.

Perry would have been fun to watch, but the long term will prove fine for the Hogs... and might send MSU to the (bull) dog house.

Kevin McPherson

311Hog

hope Perry enjoys losing.  He shoulda called Ben Simmons.

870hogfan

RME

Quote from: 311Hog on July 17, 2017, 01:21:54 pm
hope Perry enjoys losing.  He shoulda called Ben Simmons.

SEASON   PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
2017/18   $6,168,840
2018/19   $6,434,520
2019/20   $8,113,929
2020/21   $10,548,108

Yeah...shoulda called Simmons...

870hogfan

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:24:35 pm
SEASON   PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
2017/18   $6,168,840
2018/19   $6,434,520
2019/20   $8,113,929
2020/21   $10,548,108

Yeah...shoulda called Simmons...

Simmons was going to get that even if he sat out a year.  Go watch the documentary of Simmons year at LSU then call me.   That kid was miserable.  Perry is going to find out what it is like to be in a podunk town in the middle of no where, with the entire fan bases hopes on his shoulders and if Simmons couldn't make LSU good what makes you think Perry will do the same to MSU? Perry will probably avg a triple double and still lose 50% of the games he plays in, and then collect the millions after 1 year in exile basically

RME

Quote from: 311Hog on July 17, 2017, 01:28:31 pm
Simmons was going to get that even if he sat out a year.  Go watch the documentary of Simmons year at LSU then call me.   That kid was miserable.  Perry is going to find out what it is like to be in a podunk town in the middle of no where, with the entire fan bases hopes on his shoulders and if Simmons couldn't make LSU good what makes you think Perry will do the same to MSU? Perry will probably avg a triple double and still lose 50% of the games he plays in.

Perry won't get Simmons money, but I'd be willing to take some lumps for 8 months knowing I'd more than likely have a multimillion dollar contract coming my way. The kid's ties to Arkansas are marginal at best. Moved when he was young, and played spring AAU ball. The world isn't ending.

mizzouman

Not sure Anton Beard should be tweeting negatives on someone who de-committed.   

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:31:54 pm
Perry won't get Simmons money, but I'd be willing to take some lumps for 8 months knowing I'd more than likely have a multimillion dollar contract coming my way. The kid's ties to Arkansas are marginal at best. Moved when he was young, and played spring AAU ball. The world isn't ending.

Man some of yalls ability to rationalize is intense. 

Kid writes inspiring letter about committing to the Hogs and playing college ball with his AAU teammates/possible child hood friends from when he lived in AR?.

Kid decommits some time later saying his dad's health is the reason and needs to be closer to home.

Kid then commits to conference bottom feeder Missstate in the armpit of america because his dad went there? and it is still a 7 hour drive from where his sick dad lives?

And you do not think this is a big deal?  shocking.

RME

Quote from: 311Hog on July 17, 2017, 01:34:59 pm
Man some of yalls ability to rationalize is intense. 

Kid writes inspiring letter about committing to the Hogs and playing college ball with his AAU teammates/possible child hood friends from when he lived in AR?.

Kid decommits some time later saying his dad's health is the reason and needs to be closer to home.

Kid then commits to conference bottom feeder Missstate in the armpit of america because his dad went there? and it is still a 7 hour drive from where his sick dad lives?

And you do not think this is a big deal?  shocking.

It's not. The decisions and whims of 18-year-old kid have no bearing on my life. Those who have decided to play for Arkansas will still lace them up come November.

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:37:42 pm
It's not. The decisions and whims of 18-year-old kid have no bearing on my life. Those who have decided to play for Arkansas will still lace them up come November.

We arent talking about your life.  They have no bearing on my life either, but i am not going to stand here and act like this isn't a big deal and that Perry shouldn't expect a large portion of criticism to come his way. Not to mention the fact he just ditched his entire AAU team to go to Starkville and will have to play them i guess less so now that their aren't divisions but still. 

It has already been established that Miss State is not above cheating/paying players if this isnt a massive red flag i am not sure what is outside of a snapchat video of him actually receiving a large bag of cash from someone in a Misstake shirzey.

RME

Quote from: 311Hog on July 17, 2017, 01:43:44 pm
We arent talking about your life.  They have no bearing on my life either, but i am not going to stand here and act like this isn't a big deal and that Perry shouldn't expect a large portion of criticism to come his way. Not to mention the fact he just ditched his entire AAU team to go to Starkville and will have to play them i guess less so now that their aren't divisions but still. 

It has already been established that Miss State is not above cheating/paying players if this isnt a massive red flag i am not sure what is outside of a snapchat video of him actually receiving a large bag of cash from someone in a Misstake shirzey.

Source?

Howland has been a head coach for quite some time. Has he been involved in paying players scandals? Just asking. I don't know, and Google isn't yielding anything.

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:46:04 pm
Source?

Cam Newton

hell google Miss State men's basketball ncaa violations and you get tons of hits as recent as 5 days ago.  Do the same for Arkansas and its nothing within the past decade.   If you have ever been to Starkville you would know that you have to be paid to go there.

King Kong

Quote from: mizzouman on July 17, 2017, 01:33:28 pm
Not sure Anton Beard should be tweeting negatives on someone who de-committed.   

Yeah, but he left for a better situation much different ;)

RME

azhog10

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 01:47:12 pm
Yeah, but he left for a better situation much different ;)
And he actually stayed in his home state.

311Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 01:48:10 pm
Keep grasping, amigo.

they literally got hit for giving Cam's dad 40 grand man.  There are actual violations, and recent ones in their history.  Howland isn't clean either from what i remember at UCLA.