Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It amazes the amount of energy we put into a impossible situation.

Started by luke hawg, July 02, 2017, 11:44:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on July 04, 2017, 10:20:36 am
where they both are equal is BP never fielded a Def that could get that important stop when his Offense fizzled due to Int. or incomplete or missing on 3rd and 1. If he had one we would have beaten bama atleast once. Never lost to aubby and beat OhSt in the sugar bowl.  CBB so far has been in the same boat. Since his time isn't over just yet the jury is still out. But we need stops when it matters, and 1st downs when it matters. and TDs when it matters. Just one of those and CBB has a victory over Bama, and a better SEC record.  I have my doubts on a D stopping the RPO.  When nicky satan says his defenses cant stop it. people usually sit up and take notice.
I suspect the only defenses capable of giving the RPO fits are teams in Pro ball loaded with elite athletes that can stop/start in half a second and turn on a dime. 

Nicky's defense was good enough to stop Clemson's offense but Clemson was using "illegal Pick" passing plays that are impossible to stop and the officials wouldn't make the pass Interference calls.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 04, 2017, 09:45:26 am
His defenses at Arkansas were better than or at least as good as Bielema's.  How anyone can advocate for Bielema's defenses over Petrino's or anyone else's after what we saw last year is baffling to an unbiased observer.  Bielema's best defense, in 2014, was led by Petrino recruits like Trey Flowers, Darius Philon, Rohan Gaines, Tevin Mitchell, Taiwan Johnson, and Deatrich Wise along with Bielema recruit Martrell Spaight.

The argument could be made that Bielema's defenses went to heck in a hand basket when he ran out of Petrino recruits.

But let's not base our analysis on just opinions, let's look at hard numbers.  This is how many points per game Petrino's and Bielema's defenses gave up in years three and four of their respective tenures at Arkansas:

Petrino
2010...23.4 ppg
2011...22.2 ppg

Bielema
2015...27.4 ppg
2016...31.1 ppg

Where in the world does the "Petrino never cared about defense but Bielema's teams excel at it" mantra come from?  Do people just form fantastical notions in their heads and base their own reality on what they want to believe, or do they actually watch and pay attention to football games?

I don't see that much difference between Petrino and Bielema when looking at the average of their overall body of work. Of course I never said that Bielema "excelled" at it. The only thing that I see is that it appears that Petrino's Pass D was better, given that they had to practice against his throwing offense all the time. Bielema's run defense has been slightly better than Petrino's. There are slight differences in RZ Defense and Scoring D, but that's about it. We need better defense.

Year   Total D   Pass D   Run D   RZ D %   Scoring D
2008   375.2    204.4    170.8    0.837        31.2
2009   401.2    248.5    152.7    0.744        25.1
2010   347.9    185.3    162.6    0.846        23.4
2011   362.9    195.2    167.6    0.743        22.2
Avg    371.8     208.4   163.4    0.793        25.5

Year   Total D   Pass D   Run D   RZ D %   Scoring D
2013   413.1    235.0    178.4    0.822        30.8
2014   323.4    208.8    114.6    0.697        19.2
2015   391.6    275.2    116.4    0.868        27.4
2016   426.6    221.2    205.4    0.854        31.1
Avg    388.7    235.1    153.7     0.810        27.1
Go Hogs Go!

Gonzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2017, 09:19:51 pm
Hey look, I know that every time you guys rear the head of BP as some kind of push back against Bielema's record so far, you also don't like factual push back with regard to BP and his errors as well.

My opinion, BP is a heckuva a coach and a brilliant offensive mind. No argument there. I think that he is pretty awesome in that regard. But he doesn't put enough emphasis on defense and that alone is good reason that over the long term, he wouldn't have maintained his 10 or 11 win seasons to which all of you cling. 

MH, I respect your opinions here but imo you're being a little disingenuous talking about others discounting facts they don't like about BP's tenure and then doing the same with the "doesn't care about defense" argument. His Hog teams improved in points allowed every season he was here and his brand new DC had just had a very encouraging debut in the CB. In all fairness, that doesn't sound like a coach who doesn't care about defense at all. There are plenty of arguments to be made against him, but that one simply doesn't hold up.

Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 11:43:11 am
MH, I respect your opinions here but imo you're being a little disingenuous talking about others discounting facts they don't like about BP's tenure and then doing the same with the "doesn't care about defense" argument. His Hog teams improved in points allowed every season he was here and his brand new DC had just had a very encouraging debut in the CB. In all fairness, that doesn't sound like a coach who doesn't care about defense at all. There are plenty of arguments to be made against him, but that one simply doesn't hold up.

Go Hogs!

Not meaning to be, which is why in an attempt at full disclosure, I posted the numbers just above your post. Very little difference between the defenses of BP or Bielema over the course of their tenure here. For Bielema, that trend needs to swing towards improved defense this season.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 11:43:11 am

Go Hogs!

Exactly. the problem with BP's defenses wasn't BP himself, it was the DC for most of his tenure. A guy named Willy Robinson.

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 03, 2017, 10:41:45 pm
I didn't think he gave a rat's ass about defense

Then how do you explain his defenses improved in points allowed every year he was the HC? I find it hilarious that with so much legitimate material with which to criticize BP folks still need to reach for things the evidence simply doesn't back up.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 11:48:55 am
Not meaning to be, which is why in an attempt at full disclosure, I posted the numbers just above your post. Very little difference between the defenses of BP or Bielema over the course of their tenure here. For Bielema, that trend needs to swing towards improved defense this season.

Comparing their defenses to each other is not the same as claiming BP didn't care about defense, which was the point to which I was responding. I also agree BB's defense needs to get much better, quickly.

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 11:51:10 am
Exactly. the problem with BP's defenses wasn't BP himself, it was the DC for most of his tenure. A guy named Willy Robinson.

In all fairness, BP was the HC, it is ALL ultimately his responsibility, just like it is now with BB. He (BP) demonstrated he was taking steps to rectify the situation. Unfortunately he got himself into trouble.

Go Hogs!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 11:54:40 am
Then how do you explain his defenses improved in points allowed every year he was the HC? I find it hilarious that with so much legitimate material with which to criticize BP folks still need to reach for things the evidence simply doesn't back up.

Go Hogs!

Willy was really good at one thing, playing the bend but don't break concept of defense. Points went down, but yards allowed varied year to year. In the end, it isn't the yards allowed that matters as much as points allowed. But when you look at those numbers I posted above, there is little difference in the 4 year average. I want to believe that last year was an outlier. In looking at the talent that we have on the team, I have to believe that to be true. We had more talent on this team than to produce those results, which is why Robb Smith resigned to "pursue other opportunities".
Go Hogs Go!

AFWarrior83

Petrino is a better coach than Bielema, and the numbers and records back up that statement. I'd say Bielema is a better recruiter (or at least seems to work harder at it) but Petrino is a genius when it comes to offense. Bielema isn't a play caller, but his background is defense. I'd like to see our defense perform under Bielema (and his assistants) like our offfense did under Petrino.
Hogville member since 2005.

Gonzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 12:06:02 pm
Willy was really good at one thing, playing the bend but don't break concept of defense. Points went down, but yards allowed varied year to year. In the end, it isn't the yards allowed that matters as much as points allowed. But when you look at those numbers I posted above, there is little difference in the 4 year average. I want to believe that last year was an outlier. In looking at the talent that we have on the team, I have to believe that to be true. We had more talent on this team than to produce those results, which is why Robb Smith resigned to "pursue other opportunities".

"There is little difference" other than the stat improved every single year, 9 pts a game (two possessions) over the course of his tenure.

If you're trying to say the evidence backs up the claim BP didn't care about defense, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's any reasonable claim to such an argument, but clearly opinions vary.

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 08:35:06 am
I'm Amazed that you can actually say that about BP's defenses and keep a straight face when the Hog defense the last 2 years has been worse than any defense that BP had while at Arkansas. Heck even the 2014 Hog defense, which was CBB's best so far, had a significant number of BP's recruits starting on it. You are blinded by your hatred for the man.

The problem with your reply is that I never hated Petrino and don't hate him now.  Every one of our posts are archived here.  My point was that I said all the things I've said here in support of my opinion that Bret Bielema is the better coach years ago, and I can pull posts from the Petrino years to prove it.  I can also pull posts since Bret Bielema was hired that show my opinion has always been that he brings the right philosophy to Arkansas to build a strong team here that can sustain success year after year.  I've also said from the beginning it will take time to build.  It's easy to remember what you say when you're consistent.

The reason my opinion has been consistent is that it boils down to philosophy.  I enjoyed Petrino's good seasons. I didn't think, based upon what we knew at the time (and my experience as an attorney representing management in employment discrimination cases), that Jeff Long needed to fire Petrino.  I said that here when he was fired.  I said the other day I don't care who he slept with.  But we know now Long fired Petrino for lying to him about what happened.  That's different.  But in any event, I don't hate the guy.  On the other hand, I think he brought a Group of 5 philosophy to a P5 program.  In the short run he had the offensive weapons to do it.  In the long run I believe that philosophy would have caught up to him, just as it has weighed Bret Bielema down since he's been here.  Bielema has not only had to build a roster that can once again go toe-to-toe in SEC West threnches, he has had to rebuild a culture that values fundamentally sound football in all three phases of the game, the kind that made Arkansas a power for thirty years.  That is the way you compete with Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee, because over time, that is the kind of football they will play.  Even Danny Ford and Houston Nutt knew that.

I enjoyed going 11-2 and finishing 5th in 2011.  What I didn't enjoy was getting waxed by 24 points against Alabama and LSU.  The difference in Arkansas's physicality and its opponents' in those two games was drastic.  That should have given us a glimpse of what was ahead in 2012 and beyond.  So should have the miraculous victories against A&M, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.  But it didn't because everyone was enamored with Petrino's offense and Mallett's and Wilson's production.  As I've said many times, Petrino is an offensive genius.  I just don't think he's much of a big picture head coach if your goal is to win the SEC.  A perfect case in point has been presented above.  With a Heisman Trophy QB, Petrino lost his last three games.  One of those was to 6-5 Kentucky.  He was pounded by Houston and LSU.  He had one good win at home, blitzing an overrated FSU team that would lose two of its next five games.  Every other win in 2016 was against an unranked opponent.  By contrast, Bret Bielema beat three ranked opponents in 2016 - TCU, Ole Miss and Florida.  Two of those victories came on the road.  Another thing to consider is that Petrino faced only 3 ranked opponents in 2016.  Bret Bielema faced 8.

You can compare Petrino's record at Arkansas to Bielema's all day.  Petrino has never been anywhere long enough to show that he can build or sustain anything.  Say what you want about Barry Alvarez, but what Bielema did in 7 years at Wisconsin was impressive.  His 3 Big Ten Championships came in years 5, 6, and 7.  Those were his players. While researching this post, I just ran across an article posted yesterday on "SEC Country" entitled "One Thing Is For Sure: Bret Bielema Sure Knows How to Place Guys in the NFL". 

There's no comparing the character of Petrino or Bret Bielema, or the kind of athletes they recruit or programs they run.  But that's not why I think Bielema is the superior coach.  It's all about philosophy, vision, and patience.  I think Bret Bielema shares a philosophy similar to Frank Broyles.  That philosophy built the program.  Bielema has the vision and patience to build it again.  Petrino lacks both.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 12:18:03 pm
"There is little difference" other than the stat improved every single year, 9 pts a game (two possessions) over the course of his tenure.

If you're trying to say the evidence backs up the claim BP didn't care about defense, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's any reasonable claim to such an argument, but clearly opinions vary.

Go Hogs!

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 12:06:02 pm

How much more clear can I be?
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

I love how every single conceivable nit-picky thing about Petrino is mentioned, but it's always left out that Bielema's "third" Big Ten Championship was by default after the two teams ahead of them were on probation.  Wisconsin went 7-5 that year.

There's a reason UW fans weren't unhappy to see him go.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on July 04, 2017, 12:39:10 pm
I love how every single conceivable nit-picky thing about Petrino is mentioned, but it's always left out that Bielema's "third" Big Ten Championship was by default after the two teams ahead of them were on probation.  Wisconsin went 7-5 that year.

And then there's the 12-1 year when he finished second because Ohio State was undefeated. And then there was the 10-3 year he finished fourth.

And you can post all the anectdotal evidence you want to support your theory that Wisconsin fans were happy to see Bielema go, but the truth is they were no more happy as a fanbase to see a proven winner leave than Arkansas was to see a proven winner get fired.

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 01:01:00 pm
And then there's the 12-1 year when he finished second because Ohio State was undefeated. And then there was the 10-3 year he finished fourth.

And you can post all the anectdotal evidence you want to support your theory that Wisconsin fans were happy to see Bielema go, but the truth is they were no more happy as a fanbase to see a proven winner leave than Arkansas was to see a proven winner get fired.

I'm not saying he didn't have a couple of really good years.  Or that it's not impressive.

The point is you go on about consistency, yet you aren't really being intellectually honest in your arguments.  Just funny to me.  Carry on.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on July 04, 2017, 12:46:29 pm
I'm not saying he didn't have a couple of really good years.  Or that it's not impressive.

The point is you go on about consistency, yet you aren't really being intellectually honest in your arguments.  Just funny to me.  Carry on.

Broad statements about intellectual honesty are easy to make. It's more difficult to point to the intellectual dishonesty. It's even more difficult to present a counterargument. You have done one of the three.

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 01:13:12 pm
Broad statements about intellectual honesty are easy to make. It's more difficult to point to the intellectual dishonesty. It's even more difficult to present a counterargument. You have done one of the three.

Yes, I've pointed out dishonesty.  And I'm not writing a book about why Petrino is better than Bielema. 

He's a superior game day coach and just flat wins more games.

The end.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 01:01:00 pm

The only thing CBB is better at is relating to his players, coaches, the fans, and his bosses. Bret is definitely a player's coach, no doubt about it.

Bobby Petrino however, was a coach's coach, an offensive genius, and a WINNER. The players didn't particularly like him but they respected him and bought in to what he was doing because it worked.

When the system isn't working properly, the players will become disenchanted and disgruntled which causes problems on the field and in the locker room. That's what happened last year and why Bret made the changes to the staff and the system earlier in the year.

Gonzo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 04, 2017, 12:37:45 pm
How much more clear can I be?

It was the apparent caveat in the next sentence I was referring to. You appeared to be hedging that claim, perhaps I inferred incorrectly. No worries, it's all just opinions on the past, nothing meaningful. I appreciate having a discussion that doesn't turn snippy.

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 11:54:40 am

Go Hogs!

Did you pay any attention to Petrino's recruiting when he was here?  Did you watch his Arkansas teams play?  Did you watch Petrino's teams before or since?  Defense is an afterthought for Petrino.  I said that when he was here, so it's fair for me to say it now. I don't think I'm a voice in the wilderness.

alohawg

Quote from: The Kig on July 03, 2017, 01:35:22 pm
100% agree.  Do we have built in challenges?  Sure.  Is there an elite pantheon of schools that are going to be competitive most years?  Absolutely.  If/when we do finally get there is it going to take some crazy lucky bounces, catching a team on an off day, key injuries, magical "miracles", and herculean efforts by individuals?  Undoubtedly.  Most champions don't stroll through the season swatting opponents around with ease.

You know what people who don't dream big are called?  Failures. People talk about Bama as though it were some cosmic center of the football world with talent just falling into their laps...and it is, to some degree.  My daughter is going into her Senior year there this fall and I can tell you, Tuscaloosa has nothing on Fayetteville.  That dynasty was built by a man from Arkansas brick-by-brick who had the vision to dream big.  The same can be done here, but it's gonna be slow. 

Hogville is a mix of optimists, realists, pessimists, and pragmatists...all of those groups are fans, just viewing the Hogs through different lenses.  There is also a small group of subversives, who aren't fans and relish in stirring the pot who need to be culled.  However, it's sometimes hard to tell them apart from our resident pessimists,  who are actually fans and should have a voice here.  There is also an equally disruptive annoying group of sunshine pumpers, who also do damage (albeit without intent) by insisting that everything is perfectly fine. 

Sometimes we are going to play like a team that recruits outside the Top 25, which is reality.  Other times we are going to beat teams with far superior talent, which is also reality.  With that sub top 25 talent, Enos has our offense playing like a top 5 team.  CBB made a risky, but absolutely necessary, change in DC and scheme...does that mean our D steps up this year?  Maybe...historically that's a tall task.  But I still contend that it's possible...

+1 Really good post.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

EastexHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 02:33:05 pm
Did you pay any attention to Petrino's recruiting when he was here?  Did you watch his Arkansas teams play?  Did you watch Petrino's teams before or since?  Defense is an afterthought for Petrino.  I said that when he was here, so it's fair for me to say it now. I don't think I'm a voice in the wilderness.

In his third and fourth years at Arkansas his teams gave up an average of 22.8 points per game.  In Bielema's third and fourth years at the same program his defenses have surrendered an average of 29.3.  That's a difference of one touchdown per game.  Either Petrino is such a genius that he can put better defenses on the field without caring or trying, Bielema cares a lot but just can't get it done...or the claims about Petrino not caring about defense are ridiculous.

Take your pick.

Personally I don't give a flip about caring and intentions.  At $3 to $4 million per year you either get the job done or you don't.

And let's dispense with the Wisconsin and Louisville apples to oranges comparisons.  Both men have coached at the same program for four years.  That's where the analysis of coaching success or lack thereof needs to be made.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 02, 2017, 12:39:36 pm
Past due ???   ;D
mathematicians will say that there is no such thing as the due theory, however, I am inclined to believe as you do....ask that mathematician if he was at a legitimate gambling establishment at Las Vega and he was gambling at the roulette wheel and the pill landed on a black number for 10,000 consecutive times would he put his money on black or red on the 10,001 roll....my feeling is that he goes red
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Gonzo

Hhmm, which part to address first?

Yes, I was here for all that, just as I have been since the early 70s, but don't let me stop you from trying to make an absurd inference.

"It's fair for me to say such and such now because I said such and such at some other time". Sure, if you think so, but pardon me while I chuckle at that. No matter the reason you believe, your opinion is no more or no less valid than anyone else's. It's still just an opinion. It's just as "fair" for other folks to offer theirs as well.

"I'm not alone in my thinking". And? Plenty of folks weren't "voices in the wilderness" centuries ago when they thought the earth was flat, didn't make them right.

Clearly you have formed your opinion, along with more than a few others, that BP simply didn't care about defense while he was at Arkansas, and it's just as clear you aren't going to change it, no matter what the actual evidence shows. It has been shown by factual data here numerous times that significant improvement was made on the defensive side of the ball while he was the HC. You are perfectly free to view that as a coach who doesn't care about defense. Plenty of others of us are perfectly free to think you're just silly for trying to make that extrapolation.

Go Hogs!

Iwastherein1969

All I know is this, CBB beat the best team to represent the University of Arkansas in the 2006 Capitol Bowl....that team was loaded for bear on both sides of the ball and yet Wisky beat us by a 3 ball from 52 yards....CBB can coach, I just wonder if someone needs to light a fire under his considerable behind like Barry Alvarez did....no way does Wisky have better talent than the Hogs....CBB can do it, if he would get fired up
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogtimes

Gonzo

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 04, 2017, 03:09:14 pm
All I know is this, CBB beat the best team to represent the University of Arkansas in the 2006 Capitol Bowl....that team was loaded for bear on both sides of the ball and yet Wisky beat us by a 3 ball from 52 yards....CBB can coach, I just wonder if someone needs to light a fire under his considerable behind like Barry Alvarez did....no way does Wisky have better talent than the Hogs....CBB can do it, if he would get fired up

The man can clearly coach, he has shown that. I doubt he lacks fire, few do who get to where he is. If they don't squander big leads in the last two games last season, we're still talking about a steady line of improvement thru his first 4 seasons. Those two games, I think, have had more impact on the perceptions than any others since he arrived. If they get back to trending up this season I think most (never all in a crowd this big and passionate) of the grumbling will fade away again. If they don't however, I think the noise we hear now will seem pretty tame. As he said himself, season 5 is very important.

Go Hogs!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: luke hawg on July 02, 2017, 11:44:58 am
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/how_much_do_sec_football_coach.html

The probability of the Razorbacks winning anything more than the Cotton or Capital 1 bowl is extremely slim given the rules and landscape of college football. There are some that will complain and suggest I've been brainwashed by Long, Broyles, Nutt, Bielema, national sports media, or anyone else outside the hogville echo chamber. But the reality is some schools get to spend a lot more on facilities, coaches, and recruiting than we do. Those schools also happen to be in higher population areas with more local talent. Talent that can be monopolized to the fullest. We are essentially going to the playground and letting the best player pick his entire team then trying to beat him with the leftovers. If one of our chosen leftovers does a 360 in warm ups, the best team retains the right to pick him up before the game actually starts. We can then replace the cornerstone of our team with someone playing on another court full of less talented players. If a coach can't out perform schools in a better situation consistenetly with yearly upward trajectory, he should be fired.

I get it Bobby Petrino won 10 and 11 games in back to back seasons for the Cotton bowl. Houston Nutt won 10 and 9 with 3 conferences championship appearances. Danny Ford took us to the championship game as well. The differences between those almost great seasons isn't coaching. It's Jarius wright diving on a fumble against A&M, Stoerner breaking his fall with the ball, Horton diving on the ball instead of scooping and scoring, miracle on markham, Jerry Franklin returning a unforced Zac Stacy fumble 95 yards, and Reggie Fish willie mays ing a punt on the 2 yard line.

The only way for us to achieve more than the average is build a solid program with minimal attrition of players not good enough to contribute and wait for a local talent to choose the hogs that plays QB with 1st round talent. The continuing carousel of coaches because one wins 10 with a cotton bowl win and the other wins 9 with a capital one loss is dumb. We aren't playing the same game as Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Florida.
As a rabid fan I share the same desire to actually play not only for the league championship, but for a NC as well. Having said that, I honestly believe we're making progress although at times it's very frustrating to let games get away from us and not "close them out". However, in the end I suppose one could argue/debate whether it's truly "impossible" and therefore better to be (mostly) mediocre in a GREAT conference or be (mostly) great in a mediocre conference. Therein lies much of the rub.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 10:43:23 am
Nicky's defense was good enough to stop Clemson's offense but Clemson was using "illegal Pick" passing plays that are impossible to stop and the officials wouldn't make the pass Interference calls.

Nope.  On the last Clemson TD, the Alabama Defensive Back initiated the contact.  It wasn't an "illegal pick" since the Alabama DB initiated the contact.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 04, 2017, 04:01:53 pm
Nope.  On the last Clemson TD, the Alabama Defensive Back initiated the contact.  It wasn't an "illegal pick" since the Alabama DB initiated the contact.

In an Illegal pick, it doesn't matter who initiates the contact. If an offensive player impedes a defender and makes contact with him allowing the receiver to get open, that's offensive pass interference "illegal pick" no matter who initiates the contact.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 04:20:46 pm
In an Illegal pick, it doesn't matter who initiates the contact. If an offensive player impedes a defender and makes contact with him allowing the receiver to get open, that's pass interference no matter who initiates the contact.

Referee Mike Defee and his crew is probably one of the top 3 officiating crews in all of college football.

Defee and his crew don't miss calls.  Besides officiating the NC game this year, Defee and his crew officiated last year's Rose Bowl game.

A Referee and his crew don't get a Rose Bowl game and a NC game in successive years if they are missing calls.

GuvHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 04, 2017, 04:26:36 pm
Referee Mike Defee and his crew is probably one of the top 3 officiating crews in all of college football.

Defee and his crew don't miss calls.  Besides officiating the NC game this year, Defee and his crew officiated last year's Rose Bowl game.

A Referee and his crew don't get a Rose Bowl game and a NC game in successive years if they are missing calls.

They didn't miss them, they just didn't call them. I watched the whole game  and got the distinct impression that the NCAA wanted to keep Bama from winning that game. Most every close call went Clemson's way.

Darren DeLoach

I am simply waiting to see if BP will EVER coach into a 5th consecutive season at a single University or team. He is an absolute master of creating an offense. He can establish a team quicker than just about any coach ever. But he has never developed anything remotely close to a genuine program. His scorched earth policy stirs the fans to a fervor, but his inability to build staffs or recruiting relationships have marred every school he has been the head man.  Leaving those that stay after his mess in a lurch, the University desperate to find a replacement, and the fans living with a false hope
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 03:05:04 pm

Hhmm, which part to address first?

Yes, I was here for all that, just as I have been since the early 70s, but don't let me stop you from trying to make an absurd inference.

"It's fair for me to say such and such now because I said such and such at some other time". Sure, if you think so, but pardon me while I chuckle at that. No matter the reason you believe, your opinion is no more or no less valid than anyone else's. It's still just an opinion. It's just as "fair" for other folks to offer theirs as well.

"I'm not alone in my thinking". And? Plenty of folks weren't "voices in the wilderness" centuries ago when they thought the earth was flat, didn't make them right.

Clearly you have formed your opinion, along with more than a few others, that BP simply didn't care about defense while he was at Arkansas, and it's just as clear you aren't going to change it, no matter what the actual evidence shows. It has been shown by factual data here numerous times that significant improvement was made on the defensive side of the ball while he was the HC. You are perfectly free to view that as a coach who doesn't care about defense. Plenty of others of us are perfectly free to think you're just silly for trying to make that extrapolation.

Go Hogs!

I made no inference about you whatsoever.  Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I never suggested it isn't. I disagree with you and others here about Petrino and defense. The stats presented here don't persuade me otherwise.  I've watched Arkansas football about as long as you have, a little longer.  We just disagree.  Nothing wrong with that. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 04:31:50 pm
They didn't miss them, they just didn't call them. I watched the whole game  and got the distinct impression that the NCAA wanted to keep Bama from winning that game. Most every close call went Clemson's way.

A main reason why Alabama lost that game is the following.

Alabama's Offense    2 out of 15 on 3rd Down

Venables is elite.  Two usual staples of a Venables' Defense is Tackles for a Loss, and 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense.

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 05:03:32 pm
I made no inference about you whatsoever. 

Looks pretty clear to me the inference is I must have not seen that era, or else I would agree with your assessment. I'm pretty sure that's how most folks would interpret it.

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 05:18:30 pm

Looks pretty clear to me the inference is I must have not seen that era, or else I would agree with your assessment. I'm pretty sure that's how most folks would interpret it.

Go Hogs!

No, you rely on stats. The suggestion was that I rely upon my eyes and ears. 

Further, your reliance on points allowed in Petrino's last two years at Arkanaas versus Bielema's last two is myopic and self serving.  Neither you nor Wild Hog wish to engage in debating the facts I laid out above. That's not surprising given that they don't serve you well. 

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 05:25:28 pm
No, you rely on stats. The suggestion was that I rely upon my eyes and ears. 

Further, your reliance on points allowed in Petrino's last two years at Arkanaas versus Bielema's last two is myopic and self serving.  Neither you nor Wild Hog wish to engage in debating the facts I laid out above. That's not surprising given that they don't serve you well. 

This just gets funnier all the time. Silly me, I rely on actual verifiable data to help form my opinions. What a crazy concept. Guess what else? My EYES, since you feel those are the crucial sources, also told me the defense was better later in his tenure......because I could see the results on the field. Yet another crazy notion. You know what those evaluations suggested to me? Apparently BP was putting effort into improving his defense, probably because he thought that was an important part of the game.

In addition, where have you seen me make any comparison about BP's pts allowed vs BB's?  Hint - nowhere. I've made no such evaluation, feel free to take that up with whomever did.

Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 05:44:54 pm

This just gets funnier all the time. Silly me, I rely on actual verifiable data to help form my opinions. What a crazy concept. Guess what else? My EYES, since you feel those are the crucial sources, also told me the defense was better later in his tenure......because I could see the results on the field. Yet another crazy notion. You know what those evaluations suggested to me? Apparently BP was putting effort into improving his defense, probably because he thought that was an important part of the game.

In addition, where have you seen me make any comparison about BP's pts allowed vs BB's?  Hint - nowhere. I've made no such evaluation, feel free to take that up with whomever did.

Go Hogs!

Excuse me.  Maybe someone hijacked you keyboard when you went upstairs to get another bag of Cheetos.

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 06:18:29 pm
Excuse me.  Maybe someone hijacked you keyboard when you went upstairs to get another bag of Cheetos.

Maybe, but it wouldn't have been Cheetos. Since you're still making that allegation, perhaps you could provide the evidence. or are those eyes you're so proud of failing you and seeing things that aren't there? Might want to get 'em checked. Got a feeling we'll have to wait a long time for that since it isn't there.

Go Hogs!

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Gonzo on July 04, 2017, 06:46:27 pm

Maybe, but it wouldn't have been Cheetos. Since you're still making that allegation, perhaps you could provide the evidence. or are those eyes you're so proud of failing you and seeing things that aren't there? Might want to get 'em checked. Got a feeling we'll have to wait a long time for that since it isn't there.

Go Hogs!

Did you read my book above?  It's full of accurate research.

Lighten up and go shoot some Roman Candles.

Gonzo

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 08:04:23 pm
Did you read my book above?  It's full of accurate research.

Lighten up and go shoot some Roman Candles.

No idea what research you're talking about, nor do I care. You asserted I made comparison's about BP's and BB's defenses for which you didn't care. I simply asked you to provide that reference, since I made no comparison. You then doubled down on it with some odd Cheetos reference, but still can't provide it. As I said, there's a pretty simple reason why you can't.

As for my evening, I'm lightened up just fine, but thanks for your concern. About to go have dinner, a few nice craft beers, see a little baseball, and watch fireworks after the Rangers game.

Go Hogs!

Hoggish1

HogBreath

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 04, 2017, 12:23:26 pm

I enjoyed going 11-2 and finishing 5th in 2011.  What I didn't enjoy was getting waxed by 24 points against Alabama and LSU.  The difference in Arkansas's physicality
If that got you riled up, then how did the fifty three point thrashing by Auburn last year leave you feeling?

Petrino is obviously a way, waaay better coach than Bielema.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

wildhogman

Quote from: HogBreath on July 04, 2017, 09:12:44 pm
If that got you riled up, then how did the fifty three point thrashing by Auburn last year leave you feeling?

Petrino is obviously a way, waaay better coach than Bielema.
sighs,, since this is a "what have you done lately" generation, what did CBP do last year that was so great? OOOOOO he had the Heisman winning QB who lost the last 3 games of the season getting waxed by a west team. Out scored by a basketball school UK.
Heck ol' acorn did that his own self right here. Going by some of ya'lls facts and stats I then must assume acorn is as good a coach as CBP. Imagine that acorn aka Nutt= to CBP.  Amazing how opinions can be formed from your stats and facts.
Shoot fact is, ol' acorn was a stumble fumble and FG kicker DUI away from going to an actual Ship. Think on that for a while. Then again CBP was a scoop and score away from winning an "also ran" BCS bowl to get us to maybe 3rd that year.  Yep, EQUAL
*turns the sarcasm off now*
Edit: has CBP ever beat Bama? at any school?  Cause the acorn did it a few times.  Maybe according to "the facts" the acorn is actually better then CBP

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on July 04, 2017, 11:06:28 pm
Damn, you guys still talking about Petrino?
Yeah we still have a few who haven't wiped their chin.

Sure Petrino was a great coach here; I'm amazed that some of you refuse to be mad that he wrecked our program in that ditch and think he should still be the coach. Beliema probably won't be here too many more years but Long will be here as long as he wants and the program WILL be run in a manner reflecting his integrity. Feel free to continue whining or ask Lanny for a refund and go cheer for Alabama.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on July 04, 2017, 12:39:10 pm

Their message boards were in total meltdown when he resigned. I read them all with a huge grin on my face. I remember it vividly. Your statement simply isn't true. After it sunk in they may have changed their tune, sort of like every fan base is after being ditched at the movies.