Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball is taking over football in Arkansas.

Started by draftkings33, May 30, 2017, 08:29:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 13, 2017, 04:00:07 pm
The whole discussion is an exercise in futility.

This would apply in almost every MMQB thread ever. If someone started a thread proposing that fat meat is greasy, before that thread got to one page someone out of left field will find a way to make a negative comment about Coach Bielema or he team.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pork Twain

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 17, 2017, 12:25:56 pm
I'm not arguing the point at the college level - this thread seemed to be directed at the high school sports level. 
Agreed, that is the direction I was taking at first but it quickly shifted to college level.

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 30, 2017, 08:29:56 am
We have a lot of D1 football type athletes playing nothing but basketball now.  You are about to see Razorback basketball explode.  But this is killing HS football.  Little Rock is the main issue.  Lack of facilities, coaching, and all the concussion injury stuff.  I think it's gonna really effect Razorback football.  I would have never said this five years ago but basketball seems to be on the rise big time with kids.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TNRazorbacker

Basketball has been a huge lost opportunity and a general disappointment since the Hogs joined the SEC. Came in with a bang then mediocrity for two decades. Nobody ever expected much on the football field but the lack of production on the basketball court is notable and really inexcusable.

I don't think the state demographics will ever be in our favor to be truly competitive on the football field, at least not anytime soon.  Basketball is a different story. there is still a lot of opportunity to do great things particularly in this conference.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2017, 03:55:10 pm
I don't anyone could have foreseen how much of an albatross the LRSD was going to become with respect to education in this state.  Contrary to Dwight's point, more money has been poured in that black hole than anywhere in the state and to what end?  Money will NOT solve the problem.

But to the point of the OP, I do agree wit the notion that given the state of things over the last two decades, it has been far easier for LRSD athletes to excel at basketball as opposed to football.   

People like me that are moving home stay well clear of Pulaski County. Not interested in any of my kids going to any school in that county.

There are a lot of people like me.
This is my non-signature signature.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 13, 2017, 04:00:07 pm
The whole discussion is an exercise in futility.

Amen.

Frank built the athletic department to be strong in all three major sports.

I see an age disagreement here in that when guys my age, 50, hear that basketball is becoming more popular we scoff because that hasn't been true for the majority of our lives.

But when the fans who's first razorback memories are from the 90s hear this, it's a different story all together. The only period if sustained end of season rankings success they have seen in football would have been under Petrino and we are only talking 3 years at that.

When the 2 sports are compared from that point of reference things aren't as clear.

SRV

Quote from: redleg on May 30, 2017, 09:37:24 am
In years past, there was a significant Pulaski County/Little Rock flavor on a vast majority of championship caliber Razorback football teams. But the Little Rock School District is in disarray, and football has become a joke in what was once a bastion of high school football, especially at Central High. The best high school football is now played in NW Arkansas, and in southern Arkansas in smaller towns. NLR is doing a pretty good job too. Central High has been a non-factor for 12 years now, and none of the other LRSD teams ever really put a value on football for an extended period of time. Parkview was really good in the early-to-mid 1980's, but other than that, it was always Central High football. It's all basketball now in Pulaski County, mostly because it's much cheaper to supply 12 to 20 kids per basketball team, than 70-100 football players. I blame the LR School Board, the superintendents, and the teachers.....but mostly the school board.
Razorback football is going to have to begin mining other football-rich areas, like NW Arkansas, Tulsa, Kansas City, Memphis, Shreveport, Monroe, and hit the Dallas region extra hard.
The Hoop Hogs aren't going to need to go very far in the near future to find some great players to elevate the program, but I would look for Anderson to start recruiting Memphis a lot harder.
:razorback:
I apologize if someone already said this. I'm not reading through every response to see. The desegregation case killed athletic budgets in LR. The money for buses and drivers and fuel, not to mention the payments to lawyers, had to come from somewhere. The first victim was athletic budgets. The facilities in LR schools are very deteriorated. In addition, with the kids being bused out of their neighborhood and into schools across town, you lost the local school community support and atmosphere. I think there is also a correlation with the crime/gang increase through the 80's and 90's. Many kids that got caught up in the wrong things, might have picked a different path with better athletic opportunities. There were also changes in school policy that hindered athletic participation, as well. The school board can make changes to help this situation, but I think what is really needed is a unified and purposed effort on the part of local community and business/financial leaders. I think rejuvenated athletic programs across central Arkansas would not only be of benefit to the Razorback programs, but also to the children that it was supposed to be about in the first place.

Just my opinion....of course
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....