• 379,565 Topics
• 21,130 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Houston Nutt accuses Ole Miss of running ‘smear campaign’ threatens to sue  (Read 1306 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

A while back [Memorial Day weekend to be exact] I called Houston Nutt to ask if he felt vindicated after #OleMiss released its NCAA response...

Houston Nutt answered the call on the first ring Friday.

The former college coach is enjoying life in Texas these days and is getting ready for a trip to Canada to see a couple of his old assistants who now coach with the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats. I called Nutt after reading the response of his former school, Ole Miss, to the NCAA’s notice of allegations that was released earler in the day. [Full disclosure: I worked with Nutt for two seasons at CBS.] In that release, it was alleged by the NCAA — and agreed upon by Ole Miss — that "serious violations have occurred." The response also pointed out that the majority of the 13 violations involving the Rebels football program occurred on coach Hugh Freeze’s watch. Not on Nutt’s, which is what sources inside Ole Miss had intimated to several reporters, including myself, months ago.

Those sources said in late January that the majority of the allegations stemmed from women’s basketball, track and field and the Nutt regime, which technically is accurate since nine of the 28 total violations against the Rebels athletic program were on Freeze. But I can see why Nutt felt a measure of vindication after seeing how he was getting the blame despite the fact that nine of those 13 violations happened under his successor.

"It’s the most frustrating thing there is," Nutt told FOX Sports, "to be on the sidelines and hear your name keep getting mentioned and mentioned. It’s hurtful. It makes you mad.

"I don’t have a major violation in 30 years of coaching.

"I’m going on five years without a team," he said. "There were a few opportunities I went after. I’d love to coach again. I feel like I’ve got 10 more seasons in me."

The 58-year-old Nutt said he didn’t know much of the specifics about the fraudulent ACT tests. Back then Nutt wasn’t counting on those recruits to be on his 105-man roster.

"We usually know about who is going to make it in by May," he said. "We were gonna place them in junior college."

Instead, they did get in. Nutt still has a hard time believing his assistants cheated, he says.

"There’s not a better person to have around your son than (Chris Vaughn)," he said. "I recruited him out of Tallahassee. He played for me at Murray State. Coached for me all those years at Arkansas and Ole Miss. I mean did he feed ’em? But outright cheating? I don’t think that’s in his DNA."

In February, Vaughn was dismissed from his job as Texas’ defensive backs coach due to the allegations at Ole Miss.

Saunders now is the head coach at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi after losing his job as an assistant coach at Louisiana-Lafayette. The NCAA hit Saunders with an eight-year show-cause...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Dan Wolken‏Verified account @DanWolken 18m18 minutes ago

AM RT: The non-disparagement language in Houston Nutt's buyout with Ole Miss is now public https://usat.ly/2vXrzCD  via @USATODAY

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Houston Nutt: ‘I wasn’t jumping for joy’ after Hugh Freeze’s resignation at Ole Miss

Brett McMurphy✔@Brett_McMurphy

Houston Nutt on @SiriusXMCollege about Hugh Freeze’s firing at #OleMiss: "I wasn’t jumping for joy. I don’t like to see anyone going down"
1:42 PM - Aug 15, 2017

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Pat Forde‏Verified account @YahooForde 17h17 hours ago

From the Steve Robertson-Tom Mars axis of Ole Miss terror: they say they uncovered the following on Hugh Freeze's phone records:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas