Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cool link...

Started by PorkSoda, November 10, 2015, 06:07:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

November 10, 2015, 06:07:05 pm Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:20:23 pm by PorkSoda
It graphs out the historical success of the program and lets you compare it to other programs.

http://www.winsipedia.com/arkansas

you can see that from the mid 50's through the end of the 80's we were a consistently successful program, but its been up and down since then.

you can use the controls on either side of the graph to hone in on a particular time frame

for instance if you have the graph show 2000 to present you can see that we tend to increase our success slowly then have a severe drop off before rebounding slowly.

when you look back at the sustained success of holtz and hatfield, you can see why older fans tend to regard arkansas as a traditional power, while younger fans from the ford, nutt era see us as a team that is highly inconsistent.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dirttrackhog

Did I read that right?  Does that say we lost to a high school?

sickboy

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on November 10, 2015, 07:30:19 pm

A few, actually. We also lost to a team of Native Americans and a few teams full of Med students. The early 1900's were a wild time in college football.

Dirttrackhog

Quote from: sickboy on November 10, 2015, 07:37:25 pm
A few, actually. We also lost to a team of Native Americans and a few teams full of Med students. The early 1900's were a wild time in college football.

Must have been! Will google give a decent history of that time?

hoginator

Quote from: sickboy on November 10, 2015, 07:37:25 pm
The parity in college football, and high school football, was at an all-time high in those days...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

redeye

I'm often surprised by how younger fans view our team, but they're not always wrong.  I still think of Arkansas as the team I grew up watching - a team that was usually ranked and expected to win most games it played.  When we joined the SEC, I saw Alabama as our new Texas and expected to battle Georgia for #2 in the conference, because no one else had a lengthy span of recent success.  But we haven't been the same program over the last 25 years and I struggle to acknowledge that.

Even so, I still think our accomplishments in that time are greater then most will acknowledge.  We haven't won a major championship, but we do have 3 division championships and almost had a 4th.  We've played in some big games and have a decent record against all our SEC-W opponents.  But the SEC media likes to downplay our accomplishments and I suspect that will continue after our first SEC Championship.

hawginbigd1

November 10, 2015, 11:15:41 pm #6 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:30:43 pm by hawginbigd1
Quote from: PorkSoda on November 10, 2015, 06:07:05 pm
It graphs out the historical success of the program and lets you compare it to other programs.

http://www.winsipedia.com/arkansas

you can see that from the mid 50's through the end of the 80's we were a consistently successful program, but its been up and down since then.

you can use the controls on either side of the graph to hone in on a particular time frame

for instance if you have the graph show 2000 to present you can see that we tend to increase our success slowly then have a severe drop off before rebounding slowly.

when you look back at the sustained success of holtz and hatfield, you can see why older fans tend to regard arkansas as a traditional power, while younger fans from the ford, nutt era see us as a team that is highly inconsistent.
Been an avid hog fan over 35 years, that is why if you ask me we are a top 10 to 20 program!

SEC IMO has little to do with our recent struggles, poor management is the root cause.

Crowe and Kines debacle set us back when we entered the league.

Turned the corner and then the rev was kept 2 or 3 years too long, should have offered to move him to Nebraska.

Recovered from that pretty quickly and the the BP and JLS debacle set us back again.

We are on our way back again, our problems have very little to do with in state talent, recruiting in the SEC, or geographical limitations. It is mostly the result of poor management decisions and BPs personal situation!

Wanted to add I thought at the time CBB was one of the worst possible hires for short term results! We did not and still do not have the roster to out Bama, Bama. Others could have taken the roster and achieved better results with a more pass oriented and finesse running game style.

IronHog

Arkansas the state and campus location in particular are big disadvantages.

See Tennessee and Nebraska for parallels.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: IronHog on November 10, 2015, 11:25:31 pm

I think both of your parallels prove my point, coaching hires and other management decisions have made them borderline if not outright dumpster fires, but are iconic programs.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 10, 2015, 11:15:41 pm
Been an avid hog fan over 35 years, that is why if you ask me we are a top 10 to 20 program!

according to the site we are 21st in all time wins and 18th in weeks ranked in AP poll.  so yeah id say we are a top 20 program
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

gchamblee

if i am not mistaken, arkansas has played at what is currently northside high school in fort smith. i think at the time though it was fort smith high school

deedster84

My first game watched was the 69 game when Nixon landing in the helicopter. Gone through all the ups and downs. I remember Lou Holtz speaking at our athletic banquet when I was in 7th grade. I've learned to roll with the punches.

The reason I'm quoting you though is the Nebraska thing. Not sure if it was sarcasm but they had a top 5 team every year for ever. 10 + wins for like 19 years. Nebraska/ Oklahoma was as big as Mich/OSU, USC/UCLA, Ark/Texas. They were in the title hunt every year. Not sure what the location point was. If not sarcasm then it's a moot point

IronHog

Quote from: deedster84 on November 11, 2015, 04:21:42 am
My first game watched was the 69 game when Nixon landing in the helicopter. Gone through all the ups and downs. I remember Lou Holtz speaking at our athletic banquet when I was in 7th grade. I've learned to roll with the punches.

The reason I'm quoting you though is the Nebraska thing. Not sure if it was sarcasm but they had a top 5 team every year for ever. 10 + wins for like 19 years. Nebraska/ Oklahoma was as big as Mich/OSU, USC/UCLA, Ark/Texas. They were in the title hunt every year. Not sure what the location point was. If not sarcasm then it's a moot point

20 years ago.

All 3 programs have struggled to maintain historical success after conference realignment.  All 3 have instate and location challenges.

bofadeeznutts

Are we really sitting at 699 wins right now? 

700 wins is a pretty big milestone to hit I would think.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bofadeeznutts on November 11, 2015, 07:59:53 am
Are we really sitting at 699 wins right now? 

700 wins is a pretty big milestone to hit I would think.

Announcers are probably too busy seeing how many times they can say Bayou Bengals or Mr. Fournette this weekend (like they were Landsharks last weekend) to read their notes.
This is my non-signature signature.

rickm1976

Exactly same with me.  I love playing in the SEC, but I miss the
Quote from: redeye on November 10, 2015, 08:35:49 pm
I'm often surprised by how younger fans view our team, but they're not always wrong.  I still think of Arkansas as the team I grew up watching - a team that was usually ranked and expected to win most games it played.  When we joined the SEC, I saw Alabama as our new Texas and expected to battle Georgia for #2 in the conference, because no one else had a lengthy span of recent success.  But we haven't been the same program over the last 25 years and I struggle to acknowledge that.

Even so, I still think our accomplishments in that time are greater then most will acknowledge.  We haven't won a major championship, but we do have 3 division championships and almost had a 4th.  We've played in some big games and have a decent record against all our SEC-W opponents.  But the SEC media likes to downplay our accomplishments and I suspect that will continue after our first
Quote from: redeye on November 10, 2015, 08:35:49 pm

Even so, I still think our accomplishments in that time are greater then most will acknowledge.  We haven't won a major championship, but we do have 3 division championships and almost had a 4th.  We've played in some big games and have a decent record against all our SEC-W opponents.  But the SEC media likes to downplay our accomplishments and I suspect that will continue after our first SEC Championship.

Exactly the same with me.  I love that we play in the SEC, but I sometimes miss the old days.

Smokehouse

Looks like we need to play a few ACC teams.

Should have scheduled a home-and-home with Kansas over the past couple seasons, that's one losing record we could have easily pulled to .500, haha.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MJ2

Good info, but the SEC has been a killer.

IronHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 11, 2015, 08:03:50 am
Announcers are probably too busy seeing how many times they can say Bayou Bengals or Mr. Fournette this weekend (like they were Landsharks last weekend) to read their notes.

Hogs get #1 ESPN crew this weekend.

On a sea of hopelessness these guys are a bright light.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: IronHog on November 11, 2015, 11:19:04 am

Hogs get #1 ESPN crew this weekend.

On a sea of hopelessness these guys are a bright light.

But still about equal to a lighthouse powered by one of those little yard light solar panels and illuminated by a 5w soft white light bulb.

RazorbacksFan

I was shocked at first, then confused, when I read that Nick Saban was 2-6 in his first year at Alabama. I don't see that the site details vacated wins for NCAA violations: it just gives the final stats.

IronHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 11, 2015, 11:25:11 am
But still about equal to a lighthouse powered by one of those little yard light solar panels and illuminated by a 5w soft white light bulb.

Nessler and Blackledge are very good.

Großer Kriegschwein

Hog N Bama

Quote from: IronHog on November 11, 2015, 01:04:55 pm

Nessler and Blackledge are very good.
Nessler is BY FAR the best I think.

hammy davis jr

I've always compared us to Clemson. The stats back it up. We're Clemson's twin brother.

hammy davis jr

Quote from: hammy davis jr on November 12, 2015, 10:52:44 am
I've always compared us to Clemson. The stats back it up. We're Clemson's twin brother.

2 years later. Look into my crystal ball 🔮

Hogtrillian

We really are very similar to Clemson. Heck, pre Morris+Venables everything would probably look exactly the same.

Ex-Trumpet

Please allow me this opportunity to congratulate Coach Reggie Herring on going 8-5 in 2007.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

FullTiltBoogie

bphi11ips

SEC IMO has little to do with our recent struggles, poor management is the root cause.

Turned the corner and then the rev was kept 2 or 3 years too long, should have offered to move him to Nebraska.

Recovered from that pretty quickly and the the BP and JLS debacle set us back again.

We are on our way back again, our problems have very little to do with in state talent, recruiting in the SEC, or geographical limitations. It is mostly the result of poor management decisions and BPs personal situation!

Wanted to add I thought at the time CBB was one of the worst possible hires for short term results! We did not and still do not have the roster to out Bama, Bama. Others could have taken the roster and achieved better results with a more pass oriented and finesse running game style.

Avid fan for 50 years and could not have said it better.  +1
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

hammy davis jr

Quote from: Hogtrillian on December 08, 2017, 02:50:30 pm
We really are very similar to Clemson. Heck, pre Morris+Venables everything would probably look exactly the same.

2-3 years ago the stats between Arkansas and Clemson were almost identical

Snout team

Wow, what happened in 1990?  Something significant changed in our pattern.  Hmmmm
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

bphi11ips

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 08, 2017, 03:18:23 pm
Wow, what happened in 1990?  Something significant changed in our pattern.  Hmmmm

Two words - Jack Crowe, nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.  Even nicer than John L. Smith and Bret Bielema.

Inhogswetrust

Really? Look at Clemson...............................better parallel with the numbers except most recently and they are in a better recruiting territory location wise. Why aren't they any better over the long haul. Heck Tennessee is right next door to them and much better long-term yet not lately AND Clemson is not located right smack in the middle of SC either. You will do ANYTHING to dog the location of the UA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

December 08, 2017, 03:33:40 pm #36 Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:47:38 pm by Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 08, 2017, 03:02:04 pm
Avid fan for 50 years and could not have said it better.  +1

Agree. That was a good post of his.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Michaelt

26-1-0....

We would dominate the Sun Belt Conference!! :)
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Hogwild

Quote from: hammy davis jr on December 08, 2017, 03:06:52 pm
2-3 years ago the stats between Arkansas and Clemson were almost identical

I remember the site College Football Database had ranked all of the programs (criteria of wins/major bowl games/NC/SOS) and about three or four years ago, they past us in the rankings. Cant remember the ranking, but Clemson was right in front of us and Pittsburgh was right behind us. 

arkansashogs

No matter what, facing reality, CBB set the new lowest standard for our expectations.

-AH

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: arkansashogs on December 08, 2017, 04:06:33 pm
No matter what, facing reality, CBB set the new lowest standard for our expectations.

-AH

Who are we kidding...he eliminated expectations.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

masbas3

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on November 10, 2015, 07:30:19 pm

Yes we did, but alot of colleges did in the old days.

oldhawg

Really good graphic that portrays why expectations between older generations (only two losing seasons from 1954 to 1989) and younger generations (eleven losing seasons from 1990 to 2017) are so different. 

Living in the past?  Perhaps, but those were the formative years for us older Razorback fans.

I like Morris's comparison of the current state of Razorback football to that of Clemson a few years ago.  Can something similar happen in Arkansas? 

okrazorback

That is why we need a good coach who can make a difference.The coach makes the difference. Do you think we would have the same win/loss record if Saban was our coach or  even Gus or Bobby.

carolinahogger

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 11, 2015, 01:25:35 am
according to the site we are 21st in all time wins and 18th in weeks ranked in AP poll.  so yeah id say we are a top 20 program

You might want to look a little deeper into that statistic.

Are we a better program than Florida State?  They rank 80th in all-time wins far behind Arkansas.  They also have played 442 fewer games than we have.  And if you want to crow about our winning percentage, we were pretty salty from about 1910 to 1930.

PorkSoda

Quote from: carolinahogger on December 08, 2017, 06:40:00 pm
You might want to look a little deeper into that statistic.

Are we a better program than Florida State?  They rank 80th in all-time wins far behind Arkansas.  They also have played 442 fewer games than we have.  And if you want to crow about our winning percentage, we were pretty salty from about 1910 to 1930.
currently or all time? we were kicking butt when they didn't even have a program.  the stats are what they are. we have tradition and have been playing football for over a century.

carolinahogger

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 08, 2017, 06:46:02 pm
currently or all time? we were kicking butt when they didn't even have a program.  the stats are what they are. we have tradition and have been playing football for over a century.

Currently or all time?  Pick one.

Currently:  You've got to be kidding.  Nobody who knows anything whatsoever about college football would contend that Arkansas has a better football program than FSU.

All time:  Three NCs vs one NC, .679 winning percentage vs .588 winning percentage.  Which do you think is better?

Rutgers had been playing football for 25 years when the UA had their first game.  So Rutgers has a better program and a better tradition?  Of course.  Don't let go of your half-baked theory.