Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playing in the SEC West: Consistent Inconsistencies

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 29, 2017, 10:05:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

The SEC West is a crazy place to play. Just when you think you have certain teams figured out, you might have to reevaluate your "figurin". Aside from Alabama, no one seems to be able to figure out who they are as a team.

Look at Texas A&M who beat us again last year 45-24. This is the same Texas A&M that lost to Miss State 35-28, a team that we beat 58-42. A&M also lost to Ole Miss 29-28, a team that we beat 34-30.

Then there is Auburn who opened their season with a narrow loss to the eventual national champion Clemson, 19-13. The same Auburn who comes back the next week and dispatches Arkansas State to the tune of 51-14 and follows that up the next week with a loss to Texas A&M, 29-16, but follows that up with a win over LSU, 18-13. The same team that only beat Vanderbilt by a single TD later in the season.

LSU seemed better than they played last year but barely beat Miss State 23-20 in Baton Rouge. They played a heck of a game against Alabama in a losing effort 10-0, but two weeks later also lost to Florida 16-10, a team that we beat 31-10. LSU ended up beating us 38-10 the week after our dominating win against Florida.

Ole Miss started out the season looking like they were going to be pretty good, leading Florida State at halftime in the opener 28-13, but getting outscored 32-6 in the second half. Two weeks later they entertained Alabama and played them close in 48-43 loss. The next week they would beat Georgia to the tune of 45-14. Three weeks later they would lose to us 34-30 and later in the season, beat A&M (who beat us) and then the week before the Egg Bowl, lose to Vanderbilt 38-17.

We know that we were a better team last year than the team that allowed La Tech to play us to within 1 point, virtually handed the A&M game to them, put up no fight and folded our tents early against Auburn, allowed LSU to run all over us and then, just absolutely gave away the last two games of our season.

Maybe every team except Alabama needs to budget for a Team Psychiatrist? Saban seems to be holding down that position along with being the HC and DC at Alabama.

We need to figure out who we are this year and then, never let our foot off of the gas.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggie17

I have Arkansas and Alabama figured out but some of the other teams will fool me this year. If Steve Spurrier were still in his prime I could figure that team, they would be winners. 

jst01

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 29, 2017, 10:05:39 am

We need to figure out who we are this year and then, never let our foot off of the gas.

I think the last 7 years has pretty much showed us who we are on average and where we will be. Anywhere from 3rd to 6th in the West, with that occasional group of great players that gets us in contention for playing in the Conf. championship. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggie17 on August 29, 2017, 10:14:30 am
I have Arkansas and Alabama figured out but some of the other teams will fool me this year. If Steve Spurrier were still in his prime I could figure that team, they would be winners. 

You might know who Alabama is, most of us do. The only thing you know about Arkansas is that you want to see them with a new Head Football Coach.

My point in this post was that most of the teams in the SEC West can't seem to put their finger on any level of consistency, except that they all tend to have some level of inconsistency that leads to everyone but Alabama, knocking each other off throughout the season.
Go Hogs Go!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 29, 2017, 10:47:24 am
You might know who Alabama is, most of us do. The only thing you know about Arkansas is that you want to see them with a new Head Football Coach.

My point in this post was that most of the teams in the SEC West can't seem to put their finger on any level of consistency, except that they all tend to have some level of inconsistency that leads to everyone but Alabama, knocking each other off throughout the season.
I might be very alone in this one but I like our current coaching staff and believe they are trending up.  Bama has the SEC as a whole figured out meanwhile everyone else is a hit or miss.  At one time the SEC was notorious for picking each other off and not having a team in national contention, nowadays it's who can actually finish 2nd in the West and will UGA, FLA or TENNER win the East.  I agree that the playing field needs to step their game to level of Bama and not continue the proverbial "who finished 2nd in the SEC???"

Inhogswetrust

I find it ironic that Bama looks like the same old Bama from Bear's days yet they wanted to change things up when they hired Mike Riley. I bet they are glad he liked booze and women so much he got fired and the rest is history..........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on August 29, 2017, 02:27:11 pm
I might be very alone in this one but I like our current coaching staff and believe they are trending up.  Bama has the SEC as a whole figured out meanwhile everyone else is a hit or miss.  At one time the SEC was notorious for picking each other off and not having a team in national contention, nowadays it's who can actually finish 2nd in the West and will UGA, FLA or TENNER win the East.  I agree that the playing field needs to step their game to level of Bama and not continue the proverbial "who finished 2nd in the SEC???"

Right, we aren't the only ones who demonstrate inconsistency in the SEC West. We just tend to not notice that in everyone else because they don't have a Hog on the sides of their helmet.
Go Hogs Go!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 29, 2017, 03:04:22 pm
Right, we aren't the only ones who demonstrate inconsistency in the SEC West. We just tend to not notice that in everyone else because they don't have a Hog on the sides of their helmet.

FIFY and TRUTH!!!