Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Theolesnort

ALLVOL in all seriousness Butch is a really great recruiter and he knows how to build a program together but when gameday comes he lacks something. I will venture a guess and say leadership where his team would feed off of him for confidence. I dunno but something is missing.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 24, 2016, 04:35:45 pm
  ALLVOL in all seriousness Butch is a really great recruiter and he knows how to build a program together but when gameday comes he lacks something. I will venture a guess and say leadership where his team would feed off of him for confidence. I dunno but something is missing.
In summary TN isn't any good.

ronmahony

Man what is old Gary's deal about the HUNH this year? I have heard him explain it and put up abreviations about every game they have broadcast this year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Dr. Starcs

And Verne always follows with the "HUH?"

TNhawgfan

Florida gonna blow this ole miss style
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Martygit

This game has seriously turned around - 24 -21 Tennessee with 12 1/2 left
RIP OTR, REV

Bubba's Bruisers

I guess the FL QB and OC are alergic to the forward pass.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

wildhogman

Florida missing their  starting QB badly

TNhawgfan

That's why you don't take a purdue reject

Martygit

And, now, 31 - 21 Tenn - go Vols! (I really don't like Fla)
RIP OTR, REV

TNhawgfan

Florida defense isn't best in the nation like some said

TNhawgfan

The ref who threw that Florida player out should be suspended

Martygit

I love it after all the Fla trash talk - karma  ;D
RIP OTR, REV

tusksincolorado

Quote from: TNhawgfan on September 24, 2016, 05:50:01 pm
The ref who threw that Florida player out should be suspended

That was pathetic!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Florida just collapsed...amazing.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Martygit

38 21 w/ less than 7 1/2 - turn out the lights
RIP OTR, REV

runninhog

I guess Tennessee is the big favorite in the East again.

Martygit

Oops - back to a 10 point game - 38 - 28 - @ 4 min left
RIP OTR, REV

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KyleTucker_AJC/status/780143101541244928

QuoteJosh Lindsey, 26, had given up the second day of his firstborn child's life to come see Tennessee end the curse. It was his wife's idea. You can't miss this, she told him. This is the year. And he just knew she was right.

"I went to the bowl game last year, and after watching that, the whole drive back all I could think about is, 'We're going to be so good next year,'" Lindsey said. "And now it feels like, 'I waited a whole year for this?'"

He was going to give the Vols exactly one possession in the second half to show him something before he bolted the stadium to go spend time with his son.

Hopefully Lindsey waited two series.

"Twelve years without drinking water and dying of thirst, then you finally get a sip of water, it feels pretty good," said 36-year-old Jeff Lauer. "I'll be honest, man, I thought it was same old, same old."

Turns out, spotting them 21 points and then steamrolling your rival is a fairly cathartic way to end a losing streak. While Jones – whom fans would've fired if they could at intermission – conducted the band, they sang Rocky Top like perhaps it has never been sung before.

"Good Lord," said 26-year-old alum Chris Hoeflein, pointing to a young couple kissing as players danced into the locker room just beyond them. "Look at them right there. That's what we all feel. We've been through a helluva lot, and the one thing I was worried about was if we go down, is our crowd going to get out of it?

"But they started coming back and we came alive. God, what a great time."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Alabama still king, but Tennessee is climbing

Quote3. Tennessee: Total jubilation on Rocky Top after a thrilling 38-28 win over Florida. Not only did the Vols snap an 11-game losing streak to the Gators, but they went on a hellacious 38-0 run to do it, gaining 200-plus more yards than Florida in the second half. Tennessee is firmly in the SEC East driver's seat.

Vols are scheduled to play #1 and #2, both from the SEC-West
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/781849801956724736

Quote"You get a feel very quickly for what your own players — even the ones that were here before you came — you get a feel for what's important to them," Saban said. "It was very obvious to me that the Tennessee game was always the biggest game. It was always the biggest game for us.

"That's no disrespect to Auburn or the great Iron Bowl rivalry. But to our players and a lot of our fans, the Tennessee game (is always bigger) because of the tradition of the game. It didn't take long to figure that out."

Alabama's matchups with Tennessee have mostly been lopsided during Saban's tenure in Tuscaloosa.

jbcarol

Mike Strange
‏@Strangemike44

San Diego State lost. #Vols' 11-game win streak now second longest in nation behind Alabama.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: MartinGit on September 24, 2016, 05:59:11 pm
38 21 w/ less than 7 1/2 - turn out the lights

glad I stuck it out...
was an epic win

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SDS/status/782563801275129860

Quote1. 2016 Tennessee at Georgia

Tennessee rallied out of a 17-point hole.

It took its first lead with 2:56 to play.

Then it had to rally again. Only this time, it had one play and 4 seconds to do so.

https://twitter.com/Cbest12890/status/782369191483498496

jbcarol

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
‏@wesrucker247

I'm about to board a plane, but the postponement of that LSU-Florida game (if they can't reschedule) could really be bad news for the #Vols.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/785171418820464641

QuoteCOLLEGE STATION, Texas — This is the most inspiring Tennessee football team I've covered.

This also is the most frustrating Tennessee football team I've covered.

I'm not big on extremes, but it's tough to avoid extremes when talking about a team that absolutely refuses to die but seems equally insistent on maiming itself.

Team Evel Knievel committed a program-record seven turnovers and was penalized 12 times Saturday, and it finished the game with more than a half-dozen starters — including four All-SEC-caliber players — on the sideline or back home in Knoxville battling injuries.

Despite all of that, the Vols could have — no ... should have — beaten a top-10 team on the road.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/788711762602393600

Quoteennessee's offense line has performed among the worst in the SEC, even with four starters returning entering this season.

Vols offensive line coach Dan Mahoney attempted to explain why on Tuesday, pointing to a slow start and lack of cohesion in fall camp, and a lack of consistency.

Tennessee bottomed out in its 49-10 loss to Alabama last Saturday, with the Vols linemen thrown around like rag dolls, and starting offensive tackles Chance Hall and Brett Kendrick knocked out of the game.

"Definitely, this past week, without a doubt, it was not a winning performance," said Mahoney, whose unit generated 32 yards rushing on 32 attempts and surrendered three first-quarter sacks in the loss to the No. 1-ranked Crimson Tide.

"On the year, total, there hasn't been a bunch of winning performances," Mahoney said. "There have been guys that are too inconsistent."

The No. 18-ranked Vols haven't been able to settle on a starting offensive line. Injuries and inconsistent play have led to five different starting units in seven games.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/789649450646011904

QuoteVols senior quarterback returned to his high school in Alpharetta, Georgia Friday night and spent some time hanging out with the future Alpharetta Raiders.

https://twitter.com/AHSFootball/status/789642628178509825

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/790522794463358976

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Coaches like to say their next game is the biggest game, but in Tennessee's case, it's more than a cliche.

The Vols travel to play South Carolina at 7:15 p.m. on Saturday at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

Ranking the Vols final five games, least difficult to most difficult:

5. Tennessee Tech
Golden Eagles are 3-5 after their 21-20 homecoming win over Southeast Missouri...

4. Missouri
There's an unpredictable element about Tigers (2-4, 0-3) that always seems to make them a wild card.

Even in a transition season with a new head coach, Missouri has had its moments and should have beaten Georgia...

3. Kentucky
Yes, the Wildcats beat South Carolina earlier this season (17-10, Sept. 24), but that was in Lexington and the Vols play them at Neyland Stadium on Nov. 12.

Tennessee will be coming off a game that should allow Butch Jones to pull his starters at halftime on Nov. 5...

2. Vanderbilt
Commodores beat Georgia (17-16, Oct. 15), but that will be ancient history by the time Tennessee travels to Nashville to conclude the regular season

1. South Carolina
Gamecocks (3-4, 1-4) have played the Vols close of late, the past four games being decided by three points or less.

Further, South Carolina coach will Muschamp went 4-0 against Tennessee when he was head coach at Florida from 2011-2014.

The Gamecocks are coming off a 34-28 win over UMass —

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 3m3 minutes ago

LOOK: Young Tennessee fan's perfect Halloween costume reminds everyone that ducks can pull trucks

https://twitter.com/JackOfVolTrades/status/791023087110152192

Reminds of the all-time classic:

jbcarol

SemperHawg

The University of Tennessee's Football season.

I'm ok with using the word Karma here.

rhog1

They are this year's version of last year's Auburn. All preseason hype.

sickboy

Quote from: rhog1 on October 29, 2016, 11:01:01 pm

I'm not sure Butch Jones is going to have an opportunity to turn it around next season like Gus has done this year at Auburn.

Arazorbackguy1

Like us, UT can't afford to fire him.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

jbcarol

Tennessee's November schedule sets up nicely with home games against Tech, Kentucky, and Mizzou followed by an in-state finale in Nashville v. Vandy.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 29, 2016, 11:08:09 pm
Like us, UT can't afford to fire him.
How many coaches are they paying not to coach for them?

jbcarol

Grading out the Vols after road test

QuoteQuarterback: D

It was Josh Dobbs' worst performance (12 of 26, 161 yards) since the opener against Appalachian State, but in fairness he didn't have much support.

Overall: D

Tennessee coach Butch Jones must regroup his team, and that could mean some hard personnel decisions moving forward. The Vols have a chemistry issue, and the focus needs to be on the remainder of this season with a team-first mentality. It's not a matter of the play calls or the schemes. The players didn't show much passion nor focus

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 14h14 hours ago

John Adams: Tennessee Vols fans in full-vent mode http://knoxne.ws/2f1RgqE  via @knoxnews

QuoteEven before the Gamecocks had finished off an improbable upset, Uncle Tommy fired away: "If Tennessee loses this game, the entire staff should be fired."

You might have heard that Tennessee did lose the game. Numerous South Carolina fans have filled me in on the details through emails and tweets, all of which referred to my less-than-flattering appraisal of Gamecocks football in a previous column.

Thanks for the info, guys. Perhaps I should have treated the NCAA's lowest scoring team with more respect.

John wrote: "To be a Tennessee fan is to be like Charley [sic] Brown trying to kick the football.

"It is true they have suffered a terrible run of injuries, but this game proves they were greatly overhyped."

Vols looked like a poorly coached and poorly prepared team against South Carolina. And they looked disinterested during the early going when South Carolina was establishing superiority at the line of scrimmage and gaining the confidence that would serve it well when the Vols tried to mount a comeback in the fourth quarter.

Now, another comeback is needed from Tennessee. It has to regain the clutch touch it lost during three consecutive losses. And it has to get help from Arkansas and LSU.

But most of all, it needs to do what it couldn't against South Carolina. It needs to help itself.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/793407744594350080

QuoteTennessee

Miscues (70 percent): How does a 15-point favorite lose on the road to a conference opponent? One way is to follow Tennessee's path at South Carolina. Start slowly, get stopped on downs right before halftime (firing up the home crowd) and turn the ball over a bunch.

Gamecocks converted three Tennessee turnovers into 14 points, and in a close game, that's tough to overcome. To make matters worse, the Volunteers were whistled nine times for 87 yards in penalties Saturday.

Regression at quarterback (30 percent)...

jbcarol

Paul

Quote from: rhog1 on October 29, 2016, 11:01:01 pm
. Yep,even the preseason Heisman QB

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol