Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just flipped on Fox sports radio for a minute....

Started by Danny J, April 04, 2014, 11:37:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

And the host and his co-host bring up the final four.

He states "could anybody care less about the final four this year....we have talked all week about Deshaun Jackson, Tiger Woods, blah blah but we have hardly mentioned the final four and here is why...there are no storylines and I bet most casual fans can't name any of the starters especially on Wisconsin maybe Napier at Uconn or Randle at UK and that is it....what would make this final four interesting would be these matchups coming out of each region...Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse and Okla State because of Marcus Smart and his antics.....we would get to see Boeheim and Ennis rematch with Duke and North Carolina versus Duke again and could Marcus Smart beat Coach K all by himself.....

I stopped listening after that. This is a national host basically flatout stating that unless the ACC has a majority representation in the final four it just isn't worth watching. Goes on about Coach K versus Marcus Smart....

LMAO @ Duke/OSU losing in first round and this asshat stating that would have been the best matchup. Do these people hate the SEC that much? Is it more just their elitist attitude that the east coast teams are the only teams that play "real" basketball? I tried to get into his show but lines were busy. I would have embarrassed him on his own show. What ignorance.

dsims2k3

East coast media bias. Mixed in with lazy research.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

3kgthog

I heard the same segment and it sounded more like he was wondering where the star power is. UF doesn't have any real superstars. Wisconsin doesn't, either. He's right in that at least with Duke you'd have Parker and The Rat. With UNC or Syracuse you'd have coaching legends. How many do you think know who coaches Wisconsin and UCONN?

hawgmasta

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 05, 2014, 01:41:41 am
I heard the same segment and it sounded more like he was wondering where the star power is. UF doesn't have any real superstars. Wisconsin doesn't, either. He's right in that at least with Duke you'd have Parker and The Rat. With UNC or Syracuse you'd have coaching legends. How many do you think know who coaches Wisconsin and UCONN?

I agree but all you have to do is watch Kentucky if you wanna see multiple guys that will play in the NBA.

sooie84

I really don't care what some shock jock trying to stir the pot says. I am in favor of close games with exciting basketball and the tournament really delivered this year.

Danny J

Quote from: sooie84 on April 05, 2014, 12:49:04 pm
I really don't care what some shock jock trying to stir the pot says. I am in favor of close games with exciting basketball and the tournament really delivered this year.
That was my thought as well. I thought it was a good tournament for the most part. I found it interesting the different point of views depending on where you live. I would still watch the final four if the teams he mentioned were all there but I wouldn't care as much. I could care less about Duke, UNC and Syracuse I guess the same way he cares about Florida, Wisconsin and UK.

Hogarusa

He's correct in saying that the Final 4 was not a sports story this week.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Danny J

Quote from: lowberh on April 05, 2014, 02:36:02 pm
I agree....it wasn't. He said because there were no good storylines like Duke vs Syracuse part 3. What about UK and UF part 4? Why would anybody want to watch two teams knocked out of the first and second rounds respectively, one by Mercer LOL, play each other again when we can watch 4 teams playing their best basketball right now? Hell....OSU couldn't even get out of the first round and Smart is one of the most over-rated players I have seen this year.

yraciv

Quote from: lowberh on April 05, 2014, 02:36:02 pm

Turn on ESPN.  It's been plenty of a story.

hoglady

I believe the last team to beat Florida this year was UConn by 1 point.
Florida has reeled off 30 straight since - now they meet again in the Final Four.
That's a pretty good storyline for any sports guy that wants it to be.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BigSexyHog

This is a boring final four.    How gives a crap about either of the 4 teams... Worst final four in a long time.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HawgnCorona

Can't say I care who wins but I wouldn't call it boring...However the assumption that any other group 4 (ACC, Big12 whoever) would be anymore exciting in bull.

The problem is there are no real marquee players that people wnt too see play.

And playing up UF 31 game win streak does absolutely nothing. Same goes for the Fab5 2.0...

Otherwise its FIXED news, on the radio.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hogarusa

Quote from: yraciv on April 05, 2014, 02:55:58 pm
Turn on ESPN.  It's been plenty of a story.

It's the day of... There's no doubt in the days leading up to the games that the Final 4 was pretty far down the pecking order.  Desean Jackson and Clowneys pro day were bigger stories this week

Hogarusa

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 05, 2014, 02:55:32 pm
I agree....it wasn't. He said because there were no good storylines like Duke vs Syracuse part 3. What about UK and UF part 4? Why would anybody want to watch two teams knocked out of the first and second rounds respectively, one by Mercer LOL, play each other again when we can watch 4 teams playing their best basketball right now? Hell....OSU couldn't even get out of the first round and Smart is one of the most over-rated players I have seen this year.

obviously in his hypothetical world, Duke being in the final 4 means they wouldn't have lost to Mercer and Smart would have been a huge story based off how turbulent his season was.

yraciv

Quote from: lowberh on April 05, 2014, 05:59:02 pm
It's the day of... There's no doubt in the days leading up to the games that the Final 4 was pretty far down the pecking order.  Desean Jackson and Clowneys pro day were bigger stories this week

You are downplaying how much coverage it got.  Yes there are other sports stories in the world, but Clowney and Jackson didn't get more coverage  Clowney's pro day was on Wednesday, teams didn't start arriving to Dallas until late that night. Not a lot to report until that point, but Thursday though we were getting look in's at shoot around, press conferences, etc.  And it's not like ESPN didn't talk about it earlier in the week, just obviously upped the coverage more and more leading up to gameday.

hardtimes79

The reason why the final four has become so boring is because the players do not stay long enough for fans to know them.  Next year will be a new batch of one and dones that only real college junkies know who they are.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

hoglady

For anyone that really likes college basketball this year's tourney has been great. If you watched nothing else but the Kentucky games - it's delivered everything a fan of the game could hope for.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality