Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are we so bad on the road

Started by S.A.D.C, January 08, 2014, 10:18:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Honestly, it's because we wait to get punched and then we try to respond.  We play on our heels.  Mike says we need to weather the storm on the road but I think we need to be the storm.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Junkyard Hog

This team will win some games on the road.  We probably will lose at least as many as we win, but we will win some.  This team is built much better to win on the road than teams we've had in the past 10-15 years.

Missing wide open three point shots has nothing to do with "style of play".  Missing countless layups has nothing to do with "style of play".
Missing free throws has nothing to do with "style of play".

We lost last night because we didn't play good.  We were nervous.  We didn't play with as much confidence.  We weren't nearly as aggressive (minus Harris).  We passed up a lot of good shots and tried to make an extra pass that too many times resulted in a turnover.

We were not prepared to win mentally last night.  We should schedule a couple of road games before conference play begins to prepare us better.

We lost last night because we didn't play good, not because of "style of play".

forrest city joe

Quote from: Sivad on January 08, 2014, 10:31:25 pm
Mike Anderson.
Quote from: Rome26 on January 09, 2014, 12:03:46 am
Losing this game had nothing to do with being on the road or coaching. It had everything to do with us not making the same shots we've been making all year. I truly believe we would have lost this game at home shooting this poorly. Qualls, Portis, and Bell shot a combined 7 of 30 from the field for 16 points. We won't win a single SEC game getting that type of production from our best players. Our defense played well enough to win. A&M only shot 40 percent but they shot the ball much better from the three than they normally do. That was the difference. You guys are overthinking this.

+ 1000. the players make layups and wide open shots and the Hogs win. has nothing to do with coaching.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: TMc on January 08, 2014, 10:24:23 pm
Part of it is we don't have very good shooters.., Eddie's and Nolan's teams had shooters.  Then the glaring issue of a point guard.

There is a lot of validity in this ^^^.  Nolan's teams had TDay, Thurman, Mayberry, Clint McDaniel and the list goes on.

Nolan and Eddie had teams that had that floor leader to keep everything in check like Ron Brewer, Lee Mayberry and Corey Beck.  Right now, there does not seem to be that go to leader on the team that can get the team over their butterflies and scaredy cat-ness. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on January 09, 2014, 09:31:34 am
This team will win some games on the road.  We probably will lose at least as many as we win, but we will win some.  This team is built much better to win on the road than teams we've had in the past 10-15 years.

Missing wide open three point shots has nothing to do with "style of play".  Missing countless layups has nothing to do with "style of play".
Missing free throws has nothing to do with "style of play".

We lost last night because we didn't play good.  We were nervous.  We didn't play with as much confidence.  We weren't nearly as aggressive (minus Harris).  We passed up a lot of good shots and tried to make an extra pass that too many times resulted in a turnover.

We were not prepared to win mentally last night.  We should schedule a couple of road games before conference play begins to prepare us better.

We lost last night because we didn't play good, not because of "style of play".

Exactly, it wasnt style of play, it was the kids being nervous and scared.  Missing layups is not coaching but being the head coach who controls where his team plays its non conference games and NOT putting the team in more situation like this so that they can get over this fear or nervousness--this part IS on Mike. That is what I mean by coaching.  He is the head coach.  He has to figure out a way to get them over this.  They have the same talent they have at Bud Walton.  Its Mike's job to get them over this.

To simply say "they missed shots" and that is why they lost is oversimplification.  Of course they missed shots.  Missed shots results in less points than the opposition and that results in a loss.  My question is WHY do they miss those shots on the road and not at home?  That is Mike's job to figure out and fix or we will be shut out of NCAA's all over again.

jkstock04

Quote from: reddogjcss on January 08, 2014, 10:41:32 pm
I love my Razorbacks but the way they play on the road is a disgrace! They can make a bad team look good. There is no excusses for this kind of play.
We seen them play at home and know what they are capable of.
This falls on the coaches. Plain and simple if the coaching staff can't get them to play a descent game on the road than it's time to consider a new coaching staff!
We just plain and simple got out coached and it happens every road game.
The Bowlweevils of UAM could beat them if they played in Monticello.
You know what the players are capable of so that leaves no one to blame but the coaching staff.
They made T A&M look like the best team in the SEC.
You could say it just because they where hot tonight but when you give them easy buckets and easy threes they start feeding off that gain confidence and they can hit anything!
There's no excuss for the 2 wins and 23 loses on the road under this coaching staff.  NO EXCUESSES
I thought A&M looked like the team they are, I think they are horrible. We were just worse. Wait til the end of the year when we see A&M total conference record and we will see just how awful they are.

As for the Hogs I have no idea where we go from here. Two very tough games at home then back on the road @ Georgia.

For myself it's not just that it was another road loss but the way we lost. Last night was bad basketball everywhere you looked. It's not like we were battling it out with a juggernaut and came up short. I mean we got absolutely curb stomped by an awful team...was not even close in final 10 minutes.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys