Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verne Lundquist: 'I don't want to stay too long'

Started by jbcarol, November 03, 2013, 01:07:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deserthog

I would gladly take the ramblings of Bill Walton over any of those guys!

razorJAcker

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: deserthog on March 30, 2014, 04:05:01 pm

They should hire Walton, but they are probably afraid of him being a loose cannon.  But they should learn from Barkley, fans like that..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Mike Irwin

Lundquist used to be really good. My own view is he's doing it for the money these days and is not going to bust his butt doing game prep the way he used to.

For some reason the vast majority of fans like him. If they didn't he would have been gone long ago.

All of us reach a point where we need to retire. But if you get offered a new contact and it pays a lot of money why not keep going?

If you want to blame somebody blame TV viewers because if the ratings for the games Lundquist does were to start dropping he would be gone and my guess is it would not bother him a bit.

He's made a crap load of money in his career.

East Clintwood

Quote from: razorJAcker on March 30, 2014, 03:06:30 pm
And I actually like Lundquist and Raftery.

I do too.  I think Raftery is the best in the business.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Quote from: East Clintwood on March 30, 2014, 04:50:07 pm

I do too.  I think Raftery is the best in the business.

You can't seriously like that schtick....it's so manufactured...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

GioB26

Quote from: stan the man on March 30, 2014, 01:18:21 pm
Two of the worst announcers in the history of basketball doing the game today   Unbelievable. Can't stand either of them
Should have been put out to pasture long ago
And then there's the worst of the worst in Barrett & Schaeffer.

GioB26

I'll take Bill Raftery as analyst over Jimmy the Dyke.

razorJAcker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 30, 2014, 04:29:35 pm
If you want to blame somebody blame TV viewers because if the ratings for the games Lundquist does were to start dropping he would be gone and my guess is it would not bother him a bit.

Hard to not watch when he's doing the best games and events.  He does the best SEC football game every week, now he's doing great NCAAT games.  I believe he does the Masters as well.

94 Hawg

onions!
Here's a vote for Bill & Verne
where was Gus Johnson this year though?
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Dr. Starcs

Jeffcphog

I will take any of them over Billy Packer.  My lasting memory of him was when he was rude and snide to a coach (can't remember who) whose team had been selected to be in the Tourny.  Packer told the coach, while on the air, that his team didn't deserve to be there.  I wish the coach could have been face to face with him.  Seems he "retired" a short time after that exchange.

Quote from: Jeffcphog on April 01, 2014, 12:49:20 pm
I will take any of them over Billy Packer.  My lasting memory of him was when he was rude and snide to a coach (can't remember who) whose team had been selected to be in the Tourny.  Packer told the coach, while on the air, that his team didn't deserve to be there.  I wish the coach could have been face to face with him.  Seems he "retired" a short time after that exchange.

Interesting.  I don't like the media-types who act like that and also believe they are the stars, and not the athletes/coaches.

Some examples:

Chris Berman:  he used to be one of my favorites, when ESPN was just getting started.  Now he just acts like some jerk tenured professors do.)

Stuart Scott:  Always seems to have to prove he's "cool" and up to date with the latest music, and he just "overdoes" everything.

Raftery:  He is unintelligible at times, and is too worried about getting his little catch phrases in instead of just doing his job.

Some of my favorite media-types:

Joe Buck:  His voice is now synonymous with The Superbowl and The World Series.

Kenny Mane:  great both on SC and when he does a special report which are normally hilarious.

Charles Barkley(and all the TNT crew):  They don't take themselves too seriously, yet Kenny The Jett and he have a lot of college and NBA knowledge.

Bill Walton:  If you watched our NIT game, then you know why.

Dan Patrick:  Always has something interesting to discuss

Our very own Mike Irwin - You will never meet a nicer guy in the media, yet he's just as honest.  Also has some incredible stories.  His son is a great cameraman and pretty cool guy, too.

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 2h
Congrats to @tracywolfson on joining CBS's lead NFL broadcast, but how will Verne and Gary go on without her?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Allie LaForce will replace Tracy Wolfson on the sideline with Verne and Gary.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tracy Wolfson ‏@tracywolfson May 27
Couldn't be more proud of my good friend and colleague @AdamZuckerCBS just named the host of the @SEConCBS. No one more deserving!

jbcarol

Verne Lundquist, Gary Danielson revel in their unique partnership leading to another LSU-Alabama matchup

QuoteVerne Lundquist can still vividly picture the day he first worked with current broadcast partner Gary Danielson. Their first pairing didn't occur when Danielson joined Lundquist on CBS in 2006, nor did it take place in one of the many college football coliseums both have ventured to during their careers.

Lundquist and Danielson first worked together on the rainy island of Kauai in 1992 for a television syndication of the Senior Quarterback Challenge, an event which drew the likes of Archie Manning, Roger Staubach, Joe Theismann and Jim Plunkett.

Danielson, who reported from the sideline during the telecast, said he immediately noticed Lundquist's welcoming demeanor, a trait Danielson believes has led to longstanding success for the 32-year CBS announcer.

"People watch him and feel like he's their next door neighbor or best buddy, and that's how I felt when I met him," Danielson said. "It was like I already knew him."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: deserthog on March 30, 2014, 04:05:01 pm

Now that's desperate!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

jbcarol

Without fail, the mere mention of the letters C-B-S elicits immediate reaction.

Emails arrive and Twitter goes nuts. Announcements of 2:30 p.m. kickoffs on a broadcast network mean...  a vocal sect of the fan base aren't celebrating.

Not Verne and Gary, they say. Not again.

vern.jpg
CBS broadcasters Gary Danielson, left, and Vern Lundquist.
Print
Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com By Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on November 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM, updated November 14, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Reddit

Alabama Football 2014

On the Beat: CBS' Gary Danielson hears critics, only frustrated by one aspect of it
    Unbeaten and No. 1 in the nation, Mississippi State still playing with chip on its shoulder
    Peewee from Grand Bay surprises Nick Saban at radio show, asks first question in person
    Navy SEAL who inspired 'Lone Survivor' to meet with Alabama day before Mississippi State game
    Nick Saban provides one last update on Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama ― Without fail, the mere mention of the letters C-B-S elicits immediate reaction.

Emails arrive and Twitter goes nuts. Announcements of 2:30 p.m. kickoffs on a broadcast network mean Alabama's playing the week's top SEC game, yet a vocal sect of the fan base aren't celebrating.

Not Verne and Gary, they say. Not again.

The duo of play-by-play man Verne Lundquist and analyst Gary Danielson has been broadcasting games together for eight years. Danielson, a Purdue graduate, has been calling college games since 1991. His hyper-sensitive detractors say he's biased and wants Alabama to lose.

Of course it's absurd, but he hears it.

"It frustrates me that I don't do a good enough job that people actually think that I care about one team more than another," Danielson said by phone this week. "I don't think that's their problem. It might be partly, but it frustrates me that I can't do a good enough job getting my communication skills to go across the airwaves."

None of that makes Danielson gun shy. He's was an NFL quarterback for 13 years, so criticism is nothing new for the 63-year old.

Preparation for a broadcast is somewhat similar to his old approach to a game. Danielson watches taped broadcasts of previous games for the teams he's about to cover. He does it with the volume muted so he doesn't subconsciously borrow a thought from a fellow broadcaster.

Advance work for the 2:30 p.m. Saturday game between Alabama and Mississippi State shouldn't be too difficult. It'll be the fifth time he's seen the Crimson Tide play this season, but his approach remains the same. He still planned to be out there watching practice Thursday afternoon, partly so coaches don't think he's mailing it in.

But, unlike some others in his profession, Danielson does not pal around too much with the coaches he covers.

"It's tough when you're their buddies," he said. "It's a business relationship..."

Steef

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on April 02, 2014, 12:29:40 am
Interesting.  I don't like the media-types who act like that and also believe they are the stars, and not the athletes/coaches.

Some examples:

Chris Berman:  he used to be one of my favorites, when ESPN was just getting started.  Now he just acts like some jerk tenured professors do.)

Stuart Scott:  Always seems to have to prove he's "cool" and up to date with the latest music, and he just "overdoes" everything.

Raftery:  He is unintelligible at times, and is too worried about getting his little catch phrases in instead of just doing his job.

Some of my favorite media-types:

Joe Buck:  His voice is now synonymous with The Superbowl and The World Series.

Kenny Mane:  great both on SC and when he does a special report which are normally hilarious.

Charles Barkley(and all the TNT crew):  They don't take themselves too seriously, yet Kenny The Jett and he have a lot of college and NBA knowledge.

Bill Walton:  If you watched our NIT game, then you know why.

Dan Patrick:  Always has something interesting to discuss

Our very own Mike Irwin - You will never meet a nicer guy in the media, yet he's just as honest.  Also has some incredible stories.  His son is a great cameraman and pretty cool guy, too.

I agree that is a great list. 

I miss Frank Broyles, Daryl Royal and Vince Dooley calling College games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

duskflyer

of Mississippi State's mascot, Bully.   I just about spat my beer across the room when they cut straight from Bully to a shot of Verne.  They could be brothers. 

I like Verne, but that was funny.

Melorock089

DeltaBoy

For us listening to these games on Radio in the 1970's 90% of today's bunch Sucks. Joe Buck for Pro, The TNT crew for Pro Basketball none for College.

vandybuff

i like Verne!  geez, I can see what a team does on a play, and I really don't care who the nose-tackles' uncle's granddad's half-brother was, or if the rb is averaging 88 yards a carry, so I like Verne!

And after all, it is just entertainment.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

WardamnHOGGLE

Henry Hunter.  Calling us Ole Miss.  I swear at one point he called Bret "Coach Jen Bielema."
At least he didn't call us Badgers all night.  I know I missed a few more. 
Should he be fired? 

hoggusamoungus

Was the short segment on his 50th year in the booth a hint he may be retiring?

regi

Dude is a legend, he want be fired. At 74, he may retire soon

Vildsvin

It's definitely time to put Mrs Tebow out to pasture

Hogfaniam

A legend.  He needs to become Broadcaster Emeritus and just make speeches. Walk away Verne.  I know it's fun but it's time.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

big dread hog

tongue tripped over all teeth left and brain trailed the field watching us play and making the connection of who and whom we were.

Pigdiana Jones

We can only hope. Him and Danielson both suck. I get tired of the boneheaded stupid crap they say every single game.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

B501

ive had to mute him for years now hes turrible

rtr

No, he wont nor should he be fired.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: rtr on November 23, 2014, 07:04:51 am
No, he wont nor should he be fired.

He's earned the right to call his own shot.

casken

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on November 23, 2014, 06:40:52 am
Henry Hunter.  Calling us Ole Miss.  I swear at one point he called Bret "Coach Jen Bielema."
Should he be fired? 

When speaking in a public forum for 3 hrs plus at a pop it isn't at all unusual to miss a few words now and then. Not a big deal. It happens. Call it verbal typos!
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Hog N Bama

Ya'll back off Verne. >:( He's one of my favorites.

The Boar War

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on November 23, 2014, 06:58:40 am
We can only hope. Him and Danielson both suck. I get tired of the boneheaded stupid crap they say every single game.

You got tired of them talking about how great Ole Miss' defense was?  You would have thought they were pitching the shutout.

WardamnHOGGLE

He's a loveable jolly fat dude.  I 'm just razzin.

jimmur74

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on November 23, 2014, 06:40:52 am
Should he be fired? 

I love Verne. He is a staple in CBS SEC football along with other CBS programming. To suggest his sometimes flubs due to aging are a reflection of his quality as an announcer are to dismiss all his legendary and memorable calls behind the mic. I for one hope he stays as long as he can. It will not be the same when he's gone.

Lanny

I like Verne, he needs to leave when he is ready
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Jean-Luc_Pigard

My favorite from yesterday's game, was when they asked if Austin Allen's hands felt the same as Brandon's to the center since they are brothers.

ElDoradoHog

It almost seems like they have a script written for them, before the game, on how 'someone' thinks the game will play out & they just read it, without ever really talking about or changing with the game.
I love how Danielson would say for certain what our next play would be & we'd do something completely different.
I just wish they would be somewhat fair to both teams, evenly.

Go Hogs!   :razorback:
GO HOGS GO!!!

flowermoundstan

the guy i can't stand is gary danielson, the guy will not shut up and all he ever talks about is himself.

makes me want to jab pencils in my ears

while i'm on the subject, why in the cbs sec pregame do we have two big 12 guys brian jones and spencer tillman, and that i'd like to slap that smirk off his face adam zucker who graduated from syracuse.

are their no sec homers out there

david bazzel ought to go after that gig

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Jean-Luc_Pigard on November 23, 2014, 07:53:34 am
My favorite from yesterday's game, was when they asked if Austin Allen's hands felt the same as Brandon's to the center since they are brothers.

Austins should be softer, right?  Fewer callouses? Right?

ldfergu

Lee Corso needs to retire as well. I watch Gameday and just feel sorry for him, he needs to hang it up

Jeffcphog

Quote from: flowermoundstan on November 23, 2014, 07:55:01 am
the guy i can't stand is gary danielson, the guy will not shut up and all he ever talks about is himself.

makes me want to jab pencils in my ears

while i'm on the subject, why in the cbs sec pregame do we have two big 12 guys brian jones and spencer tillman, and that i'd like to slap that smirk off his face adam zucker who graduated from syracuse.

are their no sec homers out there

david bazzel ought to go after that gig

They are out there.  On the SEC Network.  Just sayin.