Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verne Lundquist: 'I don't want to stay too long'

Started by jbcarol, November 03, 2013, 01:07:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mbd1475

Quote from: Jean-Luc_Pigard on November 23, 2014, 07:53:34 am
My favorite from yesterday's game, was when they asked if Austin Allen's hands felt the same as Brandon's to the center since they are brothers.

Cinco de Hogo

No one, absolutely no one earns the right to call their own shots in business.  Business is about success, it's about supporting the owners yes but even more the employees that make it operational.  One man should never be that important unless he is 100% owner and then he can run his business into the ground if he is that big of an idiot. 

At 74 Verne should have a few years left but he is really messing up his part of the broadcast so I don't know that he can be just a kept man.  Dainelson, at this point is simply hopeless.  Completely inane commentary the whole game.

Seebs

He is getting a Harry Carey vibe.  I enjoyed his final years, will do the same with Verne.

Harry called former Met Howard Johnson, Ho-Ho Eggnog once. I cried a gallon of laughter tears from that.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

mhsbc59

Quote from: Hog N Bama on November 23, 2014, 07:31:08 am
Ya'll back off Verne. >:( He's one of my favorites.

He might have been good 30 years ago. Why do old men wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY past there prime get hold on to these types of jobs. He should have been put out to pasture long long ago. Let the younger generation in your time is over and your holding back the world with your selfishness.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

B-Ross2417

Yes, he may make a few mistakes here and there, but his voice to me is synonymous with SEC Football and some of the greatest games in the history of college football.  Not to mention his affiliation with The Masters, THE Greatest sporting event of all time.  I agree that he's getting old and should probably hang it up soon, but he's earned his stay in the booth and I'll miss his voice when he's gone.  Don't have a problem with Danielson either.  I'm not a big fan of "These announcers hate our team" rant!  It's usually because our team is playing like dog crap and they are getting excited about the other team playing so well!  Make big plays and the announcers will get excited for our team, simple as that.  Like they did yesterday...

rljjr

I don't mind Verne and Gary. MUCH better than Musberger. However, while I would love to see and hear Ron Franklin again, I'm afraid that will never happen.

YtownHog

I swear when Allen threw that first TD he said "Mallett back to pass."  It may have just been a jumbled "Allen."  I never went back to listen.

hawg IQ

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on November 23, 2014, 06:40:52 am
Henry Hunter.  Calling us Ole Miss.  I swear at one point he called Bret "Coach Jen Bielema."
At least he didn't call us Badgers all night.  I know I missed a few more. 
Should he be fired? 
CBS most horrible announcing ever. You would think Bo Wallace was long lost son returning geez!  When Hogs had them beat down to a pulp they were still ranting along about the great Ol Miss defense..

go hogs go !

Randy Johnson

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 23, 2014, 08:33:57 am
CBS most horrible announcing ever. You would think Bo Wallace was long lost son returning geez!  When Hogs had them beat down to a pulp they were still ranting along about the great Ol Miss defense..

That's goofy he is award winning. He was the voice of the Dallas Cowboys back in the 70's and was awesome. He has worked for CBS for 20 years. In broadcasting circles, Lundquist is affectionately known as "The Golden Throat". He is certainly not the most horrible anncr ever for CBS.

NEA_Hogfan1

Yes, I heard that. When Vern or Gary, I can't remember which said Henry Hunter, I thought, "who in the hell are they talking about. Do they mean HUNTER HENRY?"
I can't tell how sick I was of hearing, "just one TD from OM could change the game. The last time I heard them say that was in the third quarter at 27-0. Were they even watching the same game? I use to think ESPN gave us no love but crap I've never heard such embarrassing commentary, and when I say embarrassing I mean embarrassing for Vern and Gary. Bet Vern was butt hurt last night.
Above all else, I'm a Hog lover.
After that, I'm  a Tiger hater.

Kevin

i have never heard so much slobbering over a team getting it rear kicked as danielson did yesterday with ole miss.

all he talked about was bo this, bo that, & how well their defense was playing.

check the scoreboard gary
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ex-Trumpet

I really don't understand the hate for Verne...I'm just glad it isn't Phil Simms.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

NEA_Hogfan1

My favorite from yesterday's game, was when they asked if Austin Allen's hands felt the same as Brandon's to the center since they are brothers.

I didn't catch that one. What a physiological thought for Vern. What BS.
Above all else, I'm a Hog lover.
After that, I'm  a Tiger hater.

Porkette

I like Verne. I did not like Gary Danielson's three-hour lovefest over a team that was doing nothing. He was STILL "saluting the Ole Miss defense" at the 30-0 mark and never gave us any real props. I try not to gripe about commemtators because everyone thinks every network hates them, but wow that was awful.
GO HOGS GO!

Ex-Trumpet

Gotta admit, I was a bit uncomfortable watching/hearing this in mixed company!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Vantage 8 dude

Yep and one other thing: how many times, even after it got to be 20-0, did we hear both of them, especially Danielson, tell us that with just one score OM would be right back in it? I mean even my wife noticed this and asked me "Who are these guys announcing for? Is it CBS or Ole Miss"?

Hogfan46

Verne is the Frank Broyles of broadcasting. A legend for sure but hanging around a little too long at the end.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 23, 2014, 09:18:33 am
Yep and one other thing: how many times, even after it got to be 20-0, did we hear both of them, especially Danielson, tell us that with just one score OM would be right back in it? I mean even my wife noticed this and asked me "Who are these guys announcing for? Is it CBS or Ole Miss"?

Had Ole Miss scored at 20-0 Danielson would have been right.  But they didn't!

AloRaptor

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 23, 2014, 09:18:33 am

It's called trying to keep people interested in a blowout so they won't change the channel. Believe it or not that is their job. ???

sowmonella

Quote from: The Boar War on November 23, 2014, 07:36:35 am
You got tired of them talking about how great Ole Miss' defense was?  You would have thought they were pitching the shutout.
This ^^^^^^^^^
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawg IQ

Quote from: RazorWorld on November 23, 2014, 08:49:05 am
That's goofy he is award winning. He was the voice of the Dallas Cowboys back in the 70's and was awesome. He has worked for CBS for 20 years. In broadcasting circles, Lundquist is affectionately known as "The Golden Throat". He is certainly not the most horrible anncr ever for CBS.
Guess I was talking about Danialson, not the old guy Verne, I don't mind him so bad. I don't even know if its the announcers, its more their format is bad. Its like the game is a side light to the main event of analyzing, analyzing and little info tidbits of crap nobody cares about.

Hey hogs doing a beatdown of 8th ranked team in the country is the storyline CBS.
go hogs go !

Hogfly

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on November 23, 2014, 06:40:52 am
Henry Hunter.  Calling us Ole Miss.  I swear at one point he called Bret "Coach Jen Bielema."
At least he didn't call us Badgers all night.  I know I missed a few more. 
Should he be fired?

His best two for me:

1) The goal line stand where they got the penalty on 4th and we ended up getting a TD. He said, "Ole Miss has to be really happy with that goal line stand and encouraged by it." Ummm.. no.  They don't. We freaking scored a touchdown. That's demoralizing.

2) Then they drove down the field and Bo got his first pick on the throw to the end zone. "Ole Miss has to be really happy with that drive down the field. It was really successful." Umm. No. They got no points. That's demoralizing.

elksnort

Quote from: Lanny on November 23, 2014, 07:42:28 am
I like Verne, he needs to leave when he is ready
Amen, and Gary is an excellent color analyst. 

PORKULATOR

my fiancee, had a shocked look on her face when GD said that. I made her assume the centers position and snap me the ball so she could understand the violations that these big old boys feel. Really, I did...
Verne's reaction... I'm not touching that Gary.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hehawg

Score..30-0 and Gary says "this Ole Miss defense has really kept them in this game"...WHAT???  Gary thescore is THIRTY YES THIRTY TO NOTHING! Give the HOGS a little props please
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

hoghiker

Seems like they are pretty good at their jobs to me. Verne does stumble a bit but I find it humorously charming for the most part. It amazes me that so many people in this world are always looking to fire someone. Verne's put in his time. He's probably some past his prime but he makes up for it, IMO,  with his genuine love for the game. He tells good stories.

ricepig

Quote from: Lanny on November 23, 2014, 07:42:28 am
I like Verne, he needs to leave when he is ready

He's ready, he just can't remember he's ready.

N HOG

Here are examples of Verne's profound observations:

"Wow".

"Oh my gosh".

Don't even get me started on Gary.

LZH

Me too.  From all that I read, he's a very nice guy.  I say rock on brotha.

JenksHawg

did anyone else think Gary asked Verne towards the end of the game, "Have you ever done an 8 Ball?" (he actually said "Have you ever done an Egg Bowl"?)

Ayahuasca

True Freshman Austin Allen!

ATLHog

Neither Verne nor Gary had their A game yesterday. They were fumbling and stuttering most of the telecast.

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: YtownHog on November 23, 2014, 08:32:30 am
I swear when Allen threw that first TD he said "Mallett back to pass."  It may have just been a jumbled "Allen."  I never went back to listen.
Yea! He said Mallett.

Dr. Starcs

And don't forget "how do you do".

BroyledNutts

I think Alabama needs to make it official and put Verne and Gary on the payroll, and let them park next to Eli Gold every saturday in Tuscaloosa....Bama games are the only time those two are animated and accurate.

Bring back Todd Blackledge and Brad Nessler....

lechon

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 23, 2014, 09:16:53 am
Gotta admit, I was a bit uncomfortable watching/hearing this in mixed company!!

mixed ?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Ex-Trumpet

bruisemeister

I almost swore he said "Touchdown, Ole Miss" on that Gaines touchdown.  He quickly corrected his Freudian slip.

HognitiveDissonance

There was a funny clip there once:
Studio host: "And Verne, did you know that Nick O'Leary is Jack Nicklaus's grandson?"
Verne: "Yes sir!"

LAHog124

As much as I don't like Verne I can't help but like him just because of his short appearance on Happy Gilmore, "And an amazing drive by...Happy Gilmore......who the hell is Happy Gilmore?". Gary, on the other hand, well I don't wanna get started on him.
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

YankHog

I was more upset with Danielson than Verne, heck we were up 27-0 and he was still talking about Ole Miss and not how well the Hogs were playing, the game commentary was absolutely awful.....

Arkamedes

I like Verne and can usually tolerate Gary (although the obsession with the Ole Miss defense was a little strange). I'm just glad there's no possibility of them having to call a bowl game between us and Wisconsin - that would probably force Verne into retirement.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

Redhogs

Exactly...hard to stomach...really was true, i'm a homer but this is NOT an exaggeration. OM scores a touchdown and it's a whole different game, bet he said it 50 frickin times when the score was 17-0....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2014, 09:11:17 am
i have never heard so much slobbering over a team getting it rear kicked as danielson did yesterday with ole miss.

all he talked about was bo this, bo that, & how well their defense was playing.

check the scoreboard gary
1000% correct. Only + thing Danielson said all night about the hogs was he did admit we should have won the A&M game...and that was less than ethusiastic...that's it.

Redhogs

Quote from: AloRaptor on November 23, 2014, 09:28:06 am
It's called trying to keep people interested in a blowout so they won't change the channel. Believe it or not that is their job. ???
O.K....how about not looking stupid and not showing favoritism while doing it.....and at least giving the team doing the beat down a compliment now and then...apparently that was too much to ask from Gary the clown.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: Hogfly on November 23, 2014, 09:34:39 am
His best two for me:

1) The goal line stand where they got the penalty on 4th and we ended up getting a TD. He said, "Ole Miss has to be really happy with that goal line stand and encouraged by it." Ummm.. no.  They don't. We freaking scored a touchdown. That's demoralizing.
'

I was at the game and have only watched the 1Q so far, but I caught that comment too.
After we scored on tough goal line drive, either Vern or Gary one were saying how that goal line stand had to really fire up the Ole Miss D... There was no goal line stand, we scored 6, that is not a stand!

Sportster365

I like Verne too, but if you're waiting on him to tell you which Razorback defensive player made that tackle then don't hold your breath waiting.

jm

Quote from: mhsbc59 on November 23, 2014, 08:14:20 am
He might have been good 30 years ago. Why do old men wAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY past there prime get hold on to these types of jobs. He should have been put out to pasture long long ago. Let the younger generation in your time is over and your holding back the world with your selfishness.

Because "old men way past their prime" own the companies that buy the advertising. When you are the primary sponsor of these events you can request a different commentator. Why do so many people bitch about the inadequacies of the guys that are far more successful than themselves?

LRHawg

I continue to have trouble understanding how they continue to have a job. They are absolutely terrible at them, in more ways than one.

MTBrookHog

I quit listening to Vern after the Florida debacle. Him saying incomplete pass after Childs ran 40 yds. and fumbled into the endzone done it for me.