Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verne Lundquist: 'I don't want to stay too long'

Started by jbcarol, November 03, 2013, 01:07:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

If his knees, mind and voice hold up, Lundquist said he hopes to re-up after his CBS contract expires in 2014.

"I don't want to stay too long. We all know guys who did. I don't want that happening. I don't want the mistakes multiplying. I'm conscious, we all are. If I misidentify a guy, I feel really bad about it. You don't get to come back the next day to correct it."

QuoteHe often gives journalism students three tips that his first CBS executive producer provided 30 years ago.

1. Don't ever mention your name on television.

2. Never talk over a golf shot.

3. Don't state the obvious.

"I never dreamed that this SEC assignment would explode the way it has," he said.

There's even a Verne Lundquist Drinking Game in which viewers can take a drink depending on when he laughs or makes mistakes on a broadcast. "I'm proud of the fact that mine's not as active as (Brent) Musburger's," he said.

Lundquist tried to get CBS put a cease and desist on "Fake Verne" social media accounts. He detests anonymous criticism.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Dr. Starcs

Sorry Verne, but you already have by about 10 years.

go hogues

If he left, who would give AL-AH-bama an on-camera BJ each week? He's gotta be there to support his Tide, ya'll!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

56Hog

Vern will be gone in 2015 as will most of the CBS on screen talent.  Within 5 years ESPN will be producing the over air CBS broadcasts with their own SEC Network talent.

My guess is Dave and Hairplug will somehow survive the transition but Archie is the only CBS regular who deserves to be kept on.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

mlloyd4

I can't think of any sports media, game announcers or refs that I really like.
WPS

MojoHog

Go Hogs!
Go Pack Go!

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 19h
Verne Lundquist just trash talked Brent Musburger over Katherine Webb. Is this real life?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Verne and Gary draw the Georgia-Auburn game.

Drinking games have commenced.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum 42m
Gary Danielson told us if Auburn catches AJ's ``A-game'' on Saturday, Alabama ``will be nearly impossible to beat.''

jbcarol

Verne: They look like wrestling referees.

It's too late.

jbcarol

"Tracy, I've been doing this a long time. I have never seen a sewing machine on the field before.  Only in the S - E - C."

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jbcarol on November 30, 2013, 05:50:24 pm
"Tracy, I've been doing this a long time. I have never seen a sewing machine on the field before.  Only in the S - E - C."

"Wow!"
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jbcarol

"And it's going to be wide left...  It's blocked."

jbcarol

Long-time CBS broadcaster Verne Lundquist has been lucky enough to witness some inspiring moments in sports. Or, if you prefer, he's had the challenge of instantly describing some unforgettable sporting moments.

QuoteJack Nicklaus winning The Masters in 1986. Christian Laettner beating Kentucky at the buzzer in the 1992 NCAA Tournament. Last weekend, he called Auburn's unbelievable victory over Alabama.

Lundquist, 73, always considered Nicklaus, at age 46, winning a major the pinnacle moment of his broadcasting career. The Laettner shot was no better than No. 2.

"I initially said Saturday night that I'm a stubborn old goat," Lundquist said. "Nicklaus is going to be there forever. I'm going to be the protector of that as long as I can."

Then Lundquist, director Steve Milton and other CBS personnel began reflecting on what they saw at Auburn. Upon further review, Lundquist decided to rank Auburn-Alabama No. 1, Nicklaus No. 2 and Laettner No. 3.

"For a four-hour experience in sports, it probably had everything," he said of the Auburn-Alabama game.

Perhaps you noticed that Lundquist and color commentator Gary Danielson remained silent after Auburn won the game by returning a missed field goal attempt for a touchdown as time expired. The picture of fans rushing the field and players/coaches wearing expressions of stunned disbelief spoke louder than words.

Said Lundquist: "After 50 years in the business, I've finally learned when it's appropriate to just shut up."

Verne on Auburn kick-off that hit the cross bar: "OH MY DOINK"

Snouty

Well, it's been 4 more years of Verne since the last post, and I've got to wonder, will Verne be back again next season?  He has a great TV announcer voice, but I don't know if he can see well enough to call the plays.  He has missed so many obvious fumbles, interceptions, touchdowns, field goals, etc., etc., etc.  Not to mention that atrocious call in the Florida game where he asked whether the pass reception carried 60 yards downfield could be incomplete.  The last time Arkansas played Alabama, all he could talk about was his trip to Ireland.  Of course, that was more interesting than the game itself.

I don't dislike Verne, but it just seems like it's past time for him to hang it up. 

Southpointhog

There really aren't in good game announcers out there.

RazorRed26

Pathogen

Quote from: Snouty on December 18, 2013, 07:22:41 pm
Well, it's been 4 more years of Verne since the last post, and I've got to wonder, will Verne be back again next season?  He has a great TV announcer voice, but I don't know if he can see well enough to call the plays.  He has missed so many obvious fumbles, interceptions, touchdowns, field goals, etc., etc., etc.  Not to mention that atrocious call in the Florida game where he asked whether the pass reception carried 60 yards downfield could be incomplete.  The last time Arkansas played Alabama, all he could talk about was his trip to Ireland.  Of course, that was more interesting than the game itself.

I don't dislike Verne, but it just seems like it's past time for him to hang it up.

How did you even find this thread?  And what were you looking for?  And why did you think it necessary to respond to it?  And...Never mind...

Hoggish1

Oh        My       Goodness.....

Hope not!

Jackrabbit Hog

Has there ever been a luckier pbp announcer in the history of sports?  I mean, think about all the memorable moments in sports the last 30 years and then think how many Verne got to call.  It's shocking he wasn't calling the USA v. USSR hockey game in '80.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rickm1976

Quote from: OBHOG on December 18, 2013, 07:46:58 pm
There really aren't in good game announcers out there.

I miss Keith Jackson and Frank.  They were a great team, unless Keith was covering Notre Dame, USC, etc.

Pigdiana Jones

I can't stand him or Danielson. Both slobber all over Tebow, the prison badger, and $cam Newton's nuts. If they are covering a hog game, I will mute it fir the entire game. They suck that bad.

I hope they both are gone.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

DeltaBoy

Verne like the Battery bunny he just keeps going and I just keep hitting the mute button.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

CBS finally ranks the 10 best games and will reair on CBSSportsNetwork during the bowl season

Quote7. SEC Championship: No. 4 Florida vs. No. 1 Alabama (12/6/2008) – Airs Saturday, Dec. 28, 8 p.m.

Tim Tebow's three touchdowns lead Florida to a 31-20 upset win over Alabama and gives the Gators a shot at their second national title in three years.

6. No. 15 Texas A&M at No. 1 Alabama (11/10/2012) – Airs Sunday, Dec. 29, 5 p.m.
Johnny Manziel is spectacular in leading Texas A&M past top-ranked Alabama in the Aggies' first ever trip to Tuscaloosa.

4. No. 25 Georgia at No. 7 Auburn (11/16/2013) – Airs Monday, Dec. 30, 8:00 p.m.

The "Immaculate Deflection." Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall connects with Ricardo Louis on a miracle 4th-and-18 pass from the Tigers 27-yard-line...

3. No. 2 Auburn at No. 11 Alabama (11/26/2010) – Airs Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2 p.m.

Cam Newton and the Tigers erase a 24-point Alabama lead to win 28-27 win in the biggest comeback victory in school history.

1. No. 1 Alabama at No. 4 Auburn (11/30/2013)

Seven distinct SEC schools are included in the top ten listing.

jbcarol

Cody Joe ‏@codyjoe352  3m
@gatorhoops @GatorZoneChris @MWhoops Verne Lund calling the 4 seniors 'the Oh-10s'.  Uh oh...

jbcarol

Verified account ‏@MarchMadnessTV ·20h  Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery, and @ALaForce in 1988. #tbt #MarchMadness pic.twitter.com/qs9cY9WZly

jbcarol

Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas  20h
Bill Raftery and Verne Lundquist at a timeout during UConn-Iowa State at MSG. pic.twitter.com/IvizglJchh

yraciv

I think he should have retired by this point and sometimes he does botch things, but for a guy that is 73 I'd say he is pretty sharp in his calls.

jbcarol

stan the man

Two of the worst announcers in the history of basketball doing the game today   Unbelievable. Can't stand either of them
Should have been put out to pasture long ago

Jackrabbit Hog

......and for a completely different point of view:

http://grantland.com/features/verne-lundquist-bill-raftery-2014-ncaa-tournament/

This guy thinks they are the best team doing college basketball. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ronmahony

To be honest though, Lundquist doesn't piss me off as much calling bb games as he does football, so there's that anyway.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

HF#1

Personally, I think Marv Albert and Steve Kerr do a great job during the tournament. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Starcs

Kevin Harlan and Reggie Miller are awesome. Could do without Len Elmore

HF#1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 30, 2014, 01:42:16 pm

I can't handle Reggie's voice.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  Dude is the black Screech.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogFan#1 on March 30, 2014, 01:41:21 pm
Personally, I think Marv Albert and Steve Kerr do a great job during the tournament. 

Yes. 

And so glad Packer is gone. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HF#1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 30, 2014, 01:52:34 pm
Yes. 

And so glad Packer is gone. 

Packer was a liability towards the end.

Music City Razorback

Lundquist absolutely uses the "WOW" way too much.  I can't understand what Rafferty is saying half the time.  So.....I have to agree with you.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

Dr. Starcs

"A little lingerie on the deck". Lol.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Raftery is annoying yet I guess someone things he's clever.

Sounds like he's on acid.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Dr. Starcs

Similar to you on the radio. Lol

ZING!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 30, 2014, 02:16:23 pm
Similar to you on the radio. Lol

ZING!!!

Dude, I'm much worse....
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Dr. Starcs

Lol!!

Don't be so hard on yourself. That's what we're all here for. Lol

razorJAcker

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 30, 2014, 01:42:16 pm

Agree.

razorJAcker

And I actually like Lundquist and Raftery.

BPsTheMan

Bill Rafferty should be beaten with a frying pan