Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting

Started by dwcherr, June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CDBHawg

Appears they signed 22 last year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/commitments/2013/Tennessee-71

In 2012, they signed 22 as well.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/commitments/2012/Tennessee-71

If three early enrolled back in January, they could count towards 2012. Meaning 19 would have only counted towards 2013.

Leaving six available spots. So, 31 may be the number.

I don't know if it works this way or not, but it's the only way I can see them signing 30.

McHogLovin

Houston is biting his fingernails worried his modern record may be broken.

56Hog

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

jacobp

Lexington is very close to Ohio, and they pull a lot of talent from there. The Cincinnati area in particular.

SemperFi

They're promising that the UK basketball team will share their conference and national titles with them.

I agree and can't figure out what Mark Stoops is selling at UK, because they look ugly and have no tradition to fall back on.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

thefisher

It really is amazing that Kentucky has never developed a good Ohio pipeline in the past. The state puts out lots of talent geographically close to UK.

Just did a quick count and found this surprising.  Of Kentucky's 25 commits-

10 are from Ohio. Only 2 are from Kentucky!

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

regi

Looks like UT and UK offered about 300 plus kids and pressed for commits, UK said they could still visit other schools

Music City Hog

Quote from: regi on November 12, 2013, 11:32:23 am
Looks like UT and UK offered about 300 plus kids and pressed for commits, UK said they could still visit other schools

Tennessee will have 34 commits by the end of the week with several more studs leaning to Tennessee. They can only take 30.  They are literally having to choose and cut multiple studs.  Must be nice.

regi

Quote from: Music City Hog on November 12, 2013, 12:06:00 pm
Tennessee will have 34 commits by the end of the week with several more studs leaning to Tennessee. They can only take 30.  They are literally having to choose and cut multiple studs.  Must be nice.

Really? VOLS, last five recruiting rankings per rivals, #21, #17, #13, #9, #10 (reverse order) they have gone, 5-7, 7-6, 6-7, 4-8, 5-7, and currently 4-6, best SEC record in that span is 3-5, 2-6 is their average. When they win, than I will give a crap about UT recruiting rankings.

Redhogs

Quote from: regi on November 12, 2013, 12:23:04 pm
Really? VOLS, last five recruiting rankings per rivals, #21, #17, #13, #9, #10 (reverse order) they have gone, 5-7, 7-6, 6-7, 4-8, 5-7, and currently 4-6, best SEC record in that span is 3-5, 2-6 is their average. When they win, than I will give a crap about UT recruiting rankings.
New staff and coach making evaluations...4 coaches in the last 6 years..Tn. will be back with Jones.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

regi

Quote from: Redhogs on November 12, 2013, 01:30:05 pm
New staff and coach making evaluations...4 coaches in the last 6 years..Tn. will be back with Jones.

Maybe, he is now 54-32 over all, and both CMU, and Cincy dipped when he took over for Brian Kelly at both places. Never to get to the level Kelly had them at. If we had hired Jones people would lose their mind.....oh, maybe not, he does run a spread offense. Nevermind

Dropkick

Quote from: regi on November 12, 2013, 01:34:19 pm
Maybe, he is now 54-32 over all, and both CMU, and Cincy dipped when he took over for Brian Kelly at both places. Never to get to the level Kelly had them at. If we had hired Jones people would lose their mind.....oh, maybe not, he does run a spread offense. Nevermind
He runs a spread? Oh well, he would be at least 7-3 here now then........

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The new coaches in the SEC all hit the ground running and focused on recruiting above everything else.  Our guy is a little more laissez-faire, wont take a commit until they come meet him or he's able to do his in home.  Everyone else is trying to get commits in April, we're waiting until Dec/Feb. or until they've been dropped by their #1 choice.

I can't say our recruiting is lighting the road just yet.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

FearTheTusk91

Well Stoops is FROM Ohio so he has pretty strong ties to recruiting there.

And yes, they do use the success of the basketball team to highlight the university.  Often they'll have the football recruits meet with Coach Cal.

beebefootballfan

T.V. Williams   
WR
McKinney, TX
McKinney
5'9"

How long will it take for that kid to get killed?
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

redeye

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 12, 2013, 02:32:41 pm
The new coaches in the SEC all hit the ground running and focused on recruiting above everything else.  Our guy is a little more laissez-faire, wont take a commit until they come meet him or he's able to do his in home.  Everyone else is trying to get commits in April, we're waiting until Dec/Feb. or until they've been dropped by their #1 choice.

I can't say our recruiting is lighting the road just yet.

I disagree with your comments on our staff. We had a lot of early commits and already have several for next year. Things haven't gone well lately, but I think it's a good thing that they're not too eager.

I do agree about other SEC coaches, though. When people first began commenting that the SEC was closer to the NFL then other conferences, I thought it was a silly comment, but not anymore. Recruiting has exploded for all SEC teams, with the partial exception of Arkansas, unfortunately. That includes Alabama, which is probably recruiting better then any team in the history of college football. It all makes me think there's going to be some big changes down the road, because the SEC looks to be improving on it's dominance, rather then faltering any time soon.

Wildhog

Quote from: beebefootballfan on November 12, 2013, 08:34:34 pm
T.V. Williams   
WR
McKinney, TX
McKinney
5'9"

Now he'll probably win the heisman.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kicking Wing

T.V. Williams   
WR
McKinney, TX
McKinney
5'9"

I remember when MD Jennings signed with ASU he was 5'11" and about 155 lbs. but could run.  He is a starting safety for the Packers now.

ICEman

It looks like they may have a few Key and Peele all-name All-Americans committed.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

rolyat_2008

1 of the 10 ohio players committed shows an ohio state offer

looks like their strategy was to go after every 4-star or high 3-star in ohio without a buckeye offer and just have to beat the cincinnati, michigan state, illinois and indiana types

trphog

T.V. Williams   
WR
McKinney, TX
McKinney
5'9"

Remember Trindon Holliday? Didn't exactly get "killed" did he?

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: trphog on November 13, 2013, 05:25:58 am
Remember Trindon Holliday? Didn't exactly get "killed" did he?
I swear Holliday was at LSU for at least 11 years.  Some players just always seem to be on the team.  I've felt that way about Mosley at Alabama.  And Percy Hardin seemed to be at Florida the same amount of time. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/74489/mizzou-uk-try-to-keep-recruiting-momentum

While Missouri and Kentucky continue to zoom in opposite directions on the playing field, both appear to be having relative success off the field.

In the realm of recruiting, where futures are made -- and crushed -- Missouri and Kentucky are succeeding at an exciting pace, and for very different reasons.

At Kentucky, there is a new staff in town. In Mark Stoops' first year as Kentucky's head coach, he's seen he share of recruiting success without the wins. With only a couple of months to work with, Stoops snagged ESPN 300 members Jason Hatcher and Ryan Timmons -- along with junior college standouts Za'Darius Smith and Javess Blue -- in his first class. Smith leads Kentucky with 5.5 sacks, while Blue and Timmons are one and two, respectively, in catches and receiving yards.

But despite a 2-7 (0-5 SEC) season and no bowl game for the third straight season, the Wildcats are 17th in ESPN's class rankings with 25 commitments, five of which are ESPN 300 members.

UK has two verbals since the season began.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Cole Cubelic ‏@colecubelic 14 Nov
"I do know that we have some of the best fans in college football & there is not a better place to play than right out there," -Gus Malzahn
Retweeted by Kenzie Malzahn
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Steef

Quote from: jbcarol on November 16, 2013, 10:55:42 am
Cole Cubelic ‏@colecubelic 14 Nov
"I do know that we have some of the best fans in college football & there is not a better place to play than right out there," -Gus Malzahn
Retweeted by Kenzie Malzahn

Apparently, Gus hasn't met our trolls.

jbcarol

Opelika four-star cornerback Stephen Roberts has flipped his commitment from Alabama to Auburn, according to Opelika head coach Brian Blackmon.

"Stephen has changed his commitment from Alabama to Auburn," Blackmon said. "He decided this morning."

Roberts, a 6-foot, 177-pound prospect had been committed to Alabama since April 24 but has visited Auburn frequently this season. Roberts' Opelika teammate, tight end/linebacker Jakell Mitchell, is also committed to Auburn. Blackmon said Roberts first began discussing flipping his commitment when he arrived at school on Monday.

"First I got wind of it was Monday. He and I talked about it and I asked him where this was coming from and if he was sure this was the decision he wanted to make. He said he thought he had a chance to play early, it was close to home, and he had built a relationship with Coach Harbison and some of the other Auburn coaches..."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/opelika_cornerback_stephen_rob_1.html

The 5.8-rated CB is top ten at his position.

JansterZ71

Quote from: jbcarol on November 20, 2013, 12:17:55 pm
Opelika four-star cornerback Stephen Roberts has flipped his commitment from Alabama to Auburn, according to Opelika head coach Brian Blackmon.

"Stephen has changed his commitment from Alabama to Auburn," Blackmon said. "He decided this morning."

Roberts, a 6-foot, 177-pound prospect had been committed to Alabama since April 24 but has visited Auburn frequently this season. Roberts' Opelika teammate, tight end/linebacker Jakell Mitchell, is also committed to Auburn. Blackmon said Roberts first began discussing flipping his commitment when he arrived at school on Monday.

"First I got wind of it was Monday. He and I talked about it and I asked him where this was coming from and if he was sure this was the decision he wanted to make. He said he thought he had a chance to play early, it was close to home, and he had built a relationship with Coach Harbison and some of the other Auburn coaches..."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/opelika_cornerback_stephen_rob_1.html

The 5.8-rated CB is top ten at his position.

And the rich get richer.  This is what happens when you win. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

jbcarol

Is Lovejoy WR Preston Williams the best in our nation?

QuoteIn his 37 years of coaching, Lovejoy coach Hughes has seen his share of spectacular players and all-star performers.

But the performance that current wide receiver Preston Williams had in last week's thrilling 27-23 win over Marietta was one that impressed even Hughes, as well as the stunned crowd at Twelve Oaks Stadium.

The four-touchdown performance, which included a breath-taking 47-yard reception for the game-winner on the game's final play, has made its rounds on the Internet as a highlight tape.

"That (catch) is on my list of 'Wow' type highlights," Hughes said. "It is close to the top of my list."

Williams, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound junior, has already committed to Tennessee. But after last week, his phone has been ringing consistently from college coaches and recruiting service analysts. He has 54 receptions for 1,234 yards and 13 touchdowns.

"I know I'm the best," he said...

Williams states he is still committed to the Vols.

jbcarol

I Am T.V. Williams‏@Trey1Williams
It's official!! Big blue Nation here we come!! #WeAreUK #SeeBlue http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=530957474&mt=8 ... pic.twitter.com/KkoWooL0tX

Dorian Hendrix@D_Hendrix14
Im in it till its over. Officially a Wildcat #BBN #WeAreUK pic.twitter.com/8DK77RluBX

Tweeting pics of their signed financial aid agreements.

TV is a 5.5-rated 5-9 WR from McKinney.
Hendrix is a 5.7-rated LB from Stoops' Ohio pipeline (Huber Hts. Wayne)

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 15h
Vols LB commit Jakob Johnson from Germany couldn't look any more European if he tried: pic.twitter.com/XkmnOT5nln

jbcarol

BamaDynasty ‏@Bama_Dynasty 16h
The #Vols added 2 more commits today for a total of 33. @RecruitingAJC ..They are cutting 1/3 of current team! LOL

jbcarol

A look at Tennessee's recruiting class after finally adding its 32nd and 33rd members

QuoteHow does Butch Jones plan to squeeze still more players into this signing class?

List of commits and ratings v. Vol needs at the link.

jbcarol

Brent, Clay & Blaine ‏@3HL1045 14h
TN football Coach Butch Jones said this on #3HL about Station Camp WR Josh Malone, "He's a program changer."

Malone signed a financial aid agreement with UGa but is not bound to UGa until he takes a "class, hot, or a cot".

MJ2

Has the big win already resulted in new commitments to Auburn?    They will "make hay" so to speak out of this successful year.

Never To Yield

One of Tennessee's 4-star commits opened his recruitment back up after attending the game.  Almost everyone thinks he's going to commit to Auburn in the next week or two.

The bammers seem to think we're about to flip 4-star CB Kalvarez Bessent away from them as well.

I'm sure there will be some positive fallout over the coming couple of weeks.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Never To Yield on December 02, 2013, 02:04:03 pm

I'm sure there will be some positive fallout over the coming couple of weeks.

Trading a four-star in for a five-star ain't a bad deal!  8)

JansterZ71

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: JansterZ71 on December 02, 2013, 04:10:09 pm
Auburn has 3 five stars in one class?  How many has Arkansas had in the last 10 years?
And Bama too and just this year alone
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 13h
I don't know about Josh Malone announcing exclusively to one recruiting website. Not a good trend imho

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 40m
Josh Malone is most highly-touted Tennessee WR since ... NFLer Marlon Brown, who got off to slow start at #UGA because level of HS comp

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 36m
After Josh Malone, Tennessee now has 32 commits & could add a few more. Where are #Vols going to fit them all? #TooManyBricks

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 26, 2013, 09:32:52 am
Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir and I never SliceTM. FrescaTM?

Last time I checked, this ain't Bushwood.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 18h Smoke 'em if you got 'em RT @HistoryInPix: Former Chiefs QB Len Dawson in locker room during Super Bowl I pic.twitter.com/bOxb6Bbl0E

https://twitter.com/HistoryInPix/status/408032167386951680/photo/1

Looks like Len Dawson was enjoying a Fresca during Super Bowl I.

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID 2h
5 star wide receiver Josh Malone picks Tennessee, Vols now with 18 4 and 5 star commits. Extraordinary class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Evan Woodbery: Signees and scholarships (i.e., initial counters) are two different things.

At the end of the day, the Vols — like any other team — can give no more than 25 initial counters in any year and have no more than 85 scholarship players overall.

QuoteVols could sign 35 players, but they would still have to cross the scholarship hurdle. (I outlined gray-shirting and blue-shirting as possibilities).

However, under this hypothetical scheme, coaches would have all summer to figure this out. They have the luxury of time to see who qualifies, who's ready to play, who isn't, etc. The best signees go on scholarship immediately. The rest can be gray-shirted...

Butch Jones: "If we can find a way to sign 35, we'll sign 35," from the Knoxville QB Club meeting and reported by Evan's Eleven

QuoteAs Tennessee's list of verbal commitments continues to grow (it should be up to 34 if lineman Charles Mosley commits on Friday as expected), the Vols are contending with two limits.

One is the NCAA-imposed limit on scholarships. The other is the conference-imposed limit on signees.

There's no loophole on NCAA scholarship limits. Teams can have only 85 total scholarship players, of whom no more than 25 can be "initial counters" in any given year. [The numbers will work out. They always do.]

13.9.1 Letter of Intent – Limitation. Each SEC member institution is limited to signing 25 football prospective student-athletes to a National Letter of Intent, Conference financial aid agreement and/or institutional offer of athletics financial aid from December 1 through May 31st of each year. [Adopted 5/29/09; effective immediately; revised 6/3/11; effective August 1, 2011]

the SEC bylaw collides with a new NCAA rules interpretation that impacted this recruiting cycle. Academically eligible student-athletes who plan to enroll early (in January) are now allowed to sign aid agreements with universities as early as Aug. 1.

Tennessee had a flood of players sign aid agreements last month — perhaps a half-dozen players or more. Why is this significant? By the letter of the law, those players wouldn't count against the SEC's signing limit. They're freebies, if you will.

ones has said he wants to welcome 14 mid-year enrollees in January. If the Vols were able take 10 of those players "off the books" for the purposes of the SEC signing rule, they could sign another 21 players to traditional Letters of Intent in February.

Grand total? 35.

Now the next challenge would be squeezing those 21 February signees into the remaining scholarship slots. But Tennessee would have all summer to worry about that, which is valuable time to work out details of who will qualify, who won't, who will gray-shirt and who can contribute immediately.

Gray-shirting: A grayshirt agrees to delay his enrollment for at least one semester to count against the following year's class.

In this case, a prospect would agree to push back enrollment from the summer of 2014 to January 2015. Grayshirting can be a great solution for a player who is rehabilitating a serious injury or who needs time to mature physically. But the player must be self-motivated, working out on his own and paying his own way to take classes for a semester.

Blue-shirting: This scheme was originated by New Mexico State [Hal Mumme Error] but has not been practiced widely around the nation. Here's how it works: Officially, a player arrives in the summer as a walk-on. Once football practice begins, he's awarded a scholarship. The school is allowed to count the scholarship forward — against the 2015 class — but the player can play immediately.

There's a big catch: The student-athlete may not have been recruited, as defined by NCAA bylaws. That means no official visit to campus, no in-home visits from coaches, no signed National Letter of Intent or athletic aid.

Tyler Bray was most comfortable completing passes on this practice field.