• 379,565 Topics
• 21,130 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting  (Read 55993 times)

dwcherr

• Senior
Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am »

In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

CallThemHawgs!

Re: Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:57 am »

grumble grumble grumble...

meh

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ZERO

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:26:56 am »

Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still not worried, however.

RedSoxFan

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:27:51 am »

Sadly, 2015 can't help them in 2013?

How can you rank a kid #1 ILB for the class after one year of HS football. He is an ACL away from dropping out of the rankings all together. Let them pound their chest when his LOI is sent in.

mmhogs17

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:35:49 am »

He's not even ranked by 247, so doubtful he'll be the #1 ILB.

3BoarsDown

• Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:56 am »

These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

RedSoxFan

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:52:15 am »

Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.

Turminator

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »

I wish the hogs would get some "Interest"

hogwild210

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »

That is a scary looking man-child. Where is his neck?

CDBHawg

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:56 pm »

In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

Okay.

Bubba's Bruisers

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 01:32:00 pm »

Come on, now.  It usually means more than that.  And most don't flip.

It's OK to admit TN, on paper, is doing very well in recruiting these days.  And me bets TN's class will finish near the top on NSD.

BigSexyHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »

Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still worried, however.

Fixed that for myself.... I usually don't get worried or concerned but I am starting to especially when all the other new coaches are having success.

regi

• We would owe Bret how much?
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »

You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »

You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.
Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »

Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

regi

• We would owe Bret how much?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 03:27:53 pm »

Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

Lets hope. Pitman, Shannon and Patridge's reps keep me from full on panic.

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

Each year the SEC remains dominant and the best of college football, the more the number of talented kids want in.  Arkansas needs to start getting their share now.

dwcherr

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »

Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

Fan1958

• Senior
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 03:41:10 pm »

Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

Ridiculous hyperbole will get as many commits as the ongoing wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45:33 pm »

I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48:17 pm »

BTW I'll agree with your panicky/suicide inducing attitude ONLY if we're still sitting about less than 25 SOLID and QUALITY commits come NSD.

dwcherr

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »

I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

870hogfan

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »

So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

No not worried...

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 03:57:49 pm »

If you bothered to withhold you latest panic induced post and read my last you'd note I've clearly stated if, and when, I'll be concerned about the final recruiting results of this upcoming class. Hint: it's in the February 2014 time frame.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.
and they shouldn't be.  since when did it become a crime to change your mind.

BigSexyHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

Good news is that some of these schools are going to fill up fast.  Maybe - Hopefully - Ah Screw it

CDBHawg

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 08:03:54 pm »

What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 08:09:11 pm »

maybe if you wait till season starts and kids see what Arkansas style and staff looks before worrying. we are in on some big time kids but they still want to see the product in play.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »

What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

Really good post.

HogWild7886

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 01:11:54 pm »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 01:15:47 pm »

As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:32 am »

In his mailbag column, Bruce Feldman addresses the recruiting buzz at UT and UK; plus A&M's Sumlin future

Sustaining the recruiting momentum is always a challenge for any new staff. Quite frankly, it's not uncommon for new head coaches to generate buzz on the recruiting trail. There's energy and excitement, and kids (as well as fans and the media) feel that and get intrigued. I saw that when I was around the Ole Miss program under Ed Orgeron while working on Meat Market, but as Orgeron pointed out then, will kids stay with you when the season comes and you start losing some games? In his case, he kept some but lost some others. For Hugh Freeze, an Orgeron disciple, a big key to reeling in a Top 5 recruiting class with a bunch of blue-chippers was the fact that the Rebels went 7-6, beat their arch-rival and won a bowl game in his debut season. That gave his pitch much-needed credibility.

I'll be surprised if either the Vols or the Cats win more than seven games this fall. Neither coach was left with a lot in terms of personnel.

Both new coaches enter a league that has never been tougher. It is incredibly top heavy. Quite frankly, the SEC is a lot stronger now than when Phil Fulmer was in the midst of his great run in Knoxville. (I'll have a column that examines this in the new few weeks.) Back to Kentucky, the odds are really against Stoops winning big there...

I think we've learned you can never say never about anything with coaches. After leading A&M to its first Top 5 finish in 56 seasons, Sumlin's already had chances to go. As I reported back in January, he turned down opportunities with three NFL teams as well as another big-time school (Auburn) to stay at A&M this year after the Aggies sweetened his deal and committed to upgrading his staff's compensation and improving the facilities.

Keep in mind before that, he was at the bottom of the league's coaches in terms of compensation, and since then has gone from $2 million per year to around $3.1. I do know his family likes it there and I've seen the huge house that they're building that's probably only about a 10-minute drive from the stadium. Also, when I was in College Station last week, Sumlin showed me a five-minute video on the near half-BILLION DOLLAR Kyle Field renovation that is jaw-dropping. He is very excited about what they're building there...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/22416428/mailbag-recruiting-buzz-at-ut-and-uk-heisman-talk-and-sumlins-future

He mentioned that Jones is more likely to be successful than Stoops.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:56 am »

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 01:10:31 pm »

As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.
Four days and still counting on that UK addition.............what a troll!!!!

sportster365

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »

This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

widespreadsooie

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »

Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

checkraiser88

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »

This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

What do you do in your free time? If you don't mind me asking?

DallasHogFan

• Senior
  • It's hip to B²
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 04:40:56 pm »

This staff will never get elite RB's (Alex Collins) or sought after offensive linemen (Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper). With national signing day being tomorrow and kids never changing their minds about verbal commits, I figure we just need to wait for basketball season.

dwcherr

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:58 pm »

Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

arkbadger

• Senior
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:58 pm »

panicking about recruiting rankings in June is always the best idea.

Uncommon

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 04:50:54 pm »

I agree that it's a little unnerving to have less verbal commitments than the other SEC teams with new head coaches (Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee), but we need to be patient.  Like other posters have already said, its June and signing day is 8 months away.  If our class isn't ranked in the top 30 come early February, then you can question our 2014 recruiting efforts.  Until then, hope for the best.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:20:01 pm by BeastBack 50 »

widespreadsooie

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »

Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

Ok, you obviously didn't get my point

HeathWimp

• Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:35 pm »

Dude, haven't you heard?  You aren't supposed to post anything that questions recruiting on here.  After all, signing day is 8 months down the road, we're being selective, kids can change their mind, and, of course, the big one - don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • WPS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:45 pm »

You guys getting upset about recruiting before the season has even started are pretty sad.

adave

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »

OP reminds me of Miami Heat fans who left the game early last night and gave interviews about losing... actually the OP is worse.

HG

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:23 pm »

Kentucky is the only anomaly here.  Both Auburn and Tennessee regularly pull in top 20, and frequently top 10 classes regardless of coaching changes.  I'm not saying not to be concerned about our recruiting (though I'm not...I just think it's a slow period right now.)  But worrying about Auburn and Tennessee is fairly futile, given that this is just par for the course for both programs.

Lysol

• Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »

Woosah

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:48 pm »

We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

Hawgfan27

• Senior
  • Sit back and watch
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:06 pm »

I KNOW AND THERES ONLY 203 DAYS UNTIL NATIONAL SIGNING DAY >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I'm Furious!

HG

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »

We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

White supremacists?  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas