Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dre Mathieu P/G

Started by SWD26, April 09, 2013, 12:33:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SWD26

http://www.knoxfocus.com/2013/04/even-if-its-not-at-ut-mathieu-is-close-to-a-division-1-ride/

Looks like Arkansas has interest in this guy. Looks decent but he's another small one.

"We knew Dre was on the recruiting radar when news hit that he had been offered a scholarship by UCLA. The Bruins, said Mathieu, haven't been back in touch since Ben Howland was fired and replaced by Steve Alford, but Dre has heard from plenty of other Division 1 schools. He has a visit set up with Pepperdine on April 11 and Ole Miss is coming on April 14. In all, Mathieu has received offers from 14 Division 1 schools."

"Others showing interest include Arkansas, South Carolina and Texas A&M. There was a recent report that Memphis was interested in Mathieu, too."

Pragmatic PiG

These quotes caught my eye:

As for basketball, what does he feel is the strength of his game?

"I'm a passer and a leader," he said. "I make my teammates better. I'm a pure point guard. I love it. I like to pass more than I like to score."

As for academics, Mathieu said he is in good standing.

"School comes easy," he said. "I work hard. It's going good."

Also, he states that he's 5' 11" but his CC lists him at 5' 9", I am guessing the latter

azhog10

A pure point guard that can score and played well at CAC. I wouldn't be against this. Living out here in Arizona I can tell you that CAC is a big time Juco for basketball. If he was putting up those kinds of numbers I would def take a look. Plus he would have an axe to grind when we play Tenner.

The_Iceman

He looks like an upgraded version of Dee Wagner. I don't see much more than a backup PG. Thats just me though.

SWD26

Here he is when in high-school, doesn't look too bad. One thing I see is that he's quick and can really push the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9pY28kNzW-w

CDBHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 09, 2013, 07:35:48 am
He looks like an upgraded version of Dee Wagner. I don't see much more than a backup PG. Thats just me though.

I really hope Dee Wagner becomes all conference someday. He's been given no chance by most on here.

As if we're at the point where we expect to get freshmen to come in and facilitate our team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: CDBHawg on April 09, 2013, 08:00:36 am
I really hope Dee Wagner becomes all conference someday. He's been given no chance by most on here.

As if we're at the point where we expect to get freshmen to come in and facilitate our team.

I have stated many times that I believe Wagner's max potential is a 6-10 minute a game backup PG giving us around 3-5 pts, 2-4 assists per game. There's nothing wrong with that, especially given that he's 5'8". If he can backup the main PG, give us steady minutes and not turn the ball over, that is an effective backup PG.

RazorPiggie

A backup? Who we got thats good enough right now thats a true point guard? haha

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 09, 2013, 11:29:35 am
A backup? Who we got thats good enough right now thats a true point guard? haha

Well, a backup caliber PG. We should have someone on this team in the coming years better than this kid.

ricepig

Unless we can sign a for sure PG who can distribute and shoot, I say we hold on to it and give it to Gulley for next year.

Pork Twain

I am not overly concerned about how tall our PG is, as long as he is a good PG.  Short PG's have been shown to work well in the past.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

outlawhogeywells

Siva from Louisville is about 5'10"

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on April 09, 2013, 12:03:35 pm
Siva from Louisville is about 5'10"

No matter what his height actually is, he's also a former Mickey D's AA.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2013, 11:35:12 am
Unless we can sign a for sure PG who can distribute and shoot, I say we hold on to it and give it to Gulley for next year.

Just curious. Why?

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 09, 2013, 12:40:32 pm
Just curious. Why?

Unless they can contribute meaningful mimutes, I'd rather hold on to it for next year.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2013, 12:44:27 pm
Unless they can contribute meaningful mimutes, I'd rather hold on to it for next year.

I meant the Gulley part.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 09, 2013, 12:47:48 pm
I meant the Gulley part.

Well, if you have one you can use for a walkon for a year, I'd say he would be a good candidate.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 09, 2013, 12:14:28 pm
What? Surely they don't give out McDAA selections to guys under 6'?

rude1

^^^This. Looks like another reach. Shoots 29% from 3. Can't see taking another undersized point guard and hope he pans out.

The_Iceman

True. A 5'10" guy like Siva can be a McDonald's AA because he is super quick, a good finisher around the rim, an excellent defender, and solid passer.

It's kinda like how every under 6' QB is compared to Drew Brees.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 09, 2013, 09:31:54 am
I have stated many times that I believe Wagner's max potential is a 6-10 minute a game backup PG giving us around 3-5 pts, 2-4 assists per game. There's nothing wrong with that, especially given that he's 5'8". If he can backup the main PG, give us steady minutes and not turn the ball over, that is an effective backup PG.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 09, 2013, 11:31:59 am
Well, a backup caliber PG. We should have someone on this team in the coming years better than this kid.
He was offered by UCLA. I would think he's a little better than you are giving him credit for. Kid is a more explosive PG than Dee. I couldn't get a feel for his ability to shoot. Other than his size that could be one of his downfalls.

outlawhogeywells

I was just stating that you don't have to be tall to be effective.