Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loisville is getting killed but would you trade Heath for Pitino at the end of

Started by Topcat, March 08, 2006, 09:48:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The real Hogules

How could ANYONE turn Pitino down for an up and coming coach?
I like Stan Heath and feel the team has improved under his watch, but we're talking about RICK "***" PITINO!!!!!
I'd take Rick Pitino over ANY college coach that is coaching today.
Sorry Stan..................................
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

fineswine

Frick Rick! He has another high-profile job, and he's not getting the job done.  It's a continuation of his Celtics job.  Now if he were half as good as his reputation...

Tater Salad

Quote from: fineswine on March 09, 2006, 06:38:24 pm
Frick Rick! He has another high-profile job, and he's not getting the job done.  It's a continuation of his Celtics job.  Now if he were half as good as his reputation...

You cannot compare a coaches success in the pros to his success on the collegiate level. Steve Spurrier, for example. Would you deny that he is a great coach?

I wouldnt consider Louisville a high profile job, either.

fineswine

Louisville not high profile?  The last time I looked they had more national championships in basketball than we do.  He has been there long enough to win; he isn't.

Topcat

Quote from: fineswine on March 09, 2006, 07:07:56 pm
Louisville not high profile?  The last time I looked they had more national championships in basketball than we do.  He has been there long enough to win; he isn't.
Pitino has been winning and he'll win more in the future. He's a proven commodity and a great coach. If AR could sign Pitino, we could return to the uptempo dominate style that we enjoyed in the late 80's to the mid 90's. Stan Heath is a good man but he'll never be the coach that Pitino is.

fineswine

I never said Heath was a better coach than Pitino.  I do say that Pitino is overrated, and he would not be on my list of great coaches.

CalHog

CalHog

Pitino has been winning and he'll win more in the future. He's a proven commodity and a great coach. If AR could sign Pitino, we could return to the uptempo dominate style that we enjoyed in the late 80's to the mid 90's. Stan Heath is a good man but he'll never be the coach that Pitino is.

Those national championships at Louisville don't belong to Petino.

WestMemphisHogFan

I disagree with you.  I don't think you can be fair and say that Stan Heath will "never be the coach that Pitino is."  Don't get me wrong, I believe that Pitino is a great coach.  But he is in his 20th year as a head coach, Stan Heath is in his fifth. 

Comparing five year totals...Pitino's record during his first five years of headcoaching (1978-1983) was 91-51.  Stan Heaths five year total up to tonight (and he isn't finished yet) is 91-61.

No Heath has not won a NC, nor taken a team to the final four.  Pitino took Boston University to the NCAA's in his fifth season as a  head coach, just like Heath is taking Arkansas in his fifth season as a Head coach.

I am only comparing the two because callhog said that Heath would never be as good a coach as Pitino.  In the years between 1978-1983 when RP was just getting started, I'm sure that there were those that thought that Pitino didn't have it in him to be one of the great ones...well he has evolved into a great one IMO. 

I believe we have one, whether he stays with the Razorbacks or not, who will evolve into a great one.  And I for one will root for SH whereever he may be, just like I always have for Eddie Sutton.

Topcat

Good points WestMemphis. I'll always root for SH too, even if he doesn't stay at AR after having some success. The biggest thing that gives SH a chance for success is his ability to recruit. He has shown he can recruit big men when there's not a whole lot to chose from in the college game.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WestMemphisHogFan

LOL notshavin!  That picture was taken right after he joined in with you by saying, "I will not comb my hair until HDN is fired!"

All kidding aside, the choices that Eddie Sutton has made down through the years involving alcohol is very sad to me.  However, I still believe that he has been a good coach, and I continue to root for him to beat his personal demons! 

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on March 09, 2006, 11:23:06 pm
I disagree with you.  I don't think you can be fair and say that Stan Heath will "never be the coach that Pitino is."  Don't get me wrong, I believe that Pitino is a great coach.  But he is in his 20th year as a head coach, Stan Heath is in his fifth. 

Comparing five year totals...Pitino's record during his first five years of headcoaching (1978-1983) was 91-51.  Stan Heaths five year total up to tonight (and he isn't finished yet) is 91-61.

No Heath has not won a NC, nor taken a team to the final four.  Pitino took Boston University to the NCAA's in his fifth season as a  head coach, just like Heath is taking Arkansas in his fifth season as a Head coach.

I am only comparing the two because callhog said that Heath would never be as good a coach as Pitino.  In the years between 1978-1983 when RP was just getting started, I'm sure that there were those that thought that Pitino didn't have it in him to be one of the great ones...well he has evolved into a great one IMO. 

I believe we have one, whether he stays with the Razorbacks or not, who will evolve into a great one.  And I for one will root for SH whereever he may be, just like I always have for Eddie Sutton.

How can Pitino be in his "20th year as a head coach" if his first 5 years were 78-83?  I think that is probably not taking into account his years as a head coach in the NBA.  I agree that it is not fair to say that Stan Heath will "never be the Coach that Pitino is".  Only time will tell.  But comparing reaching the NCAAT at Boston University and Arkansas is not a very "fair" comparison either.  In 1983, the NCAAT was only 52 teams (not 64) and I'm pretty sure that most would agree that Arkansas as a college program today is a little better off than Boston University ever was. 

Pitino has proven over and over at multiple programs that he can be successful as a college basketball head coach.  Stan Heath has even yet to coach in a NCAAT game.  Comparing SH to Pitino is like comparing bauxite to aluminum, carbon to diamonds, or even Orgeron to Holtz.  All have the opportunity and chance to turn into the finished product, but it is not a foregone conclusion that it will actually take place.

As I said before, only time will tell.  But the next time a special day comes, try giving your wife or girlfriend some carbon instead of a finished diamond and tell her that if she'll just hang in there good days are in the future.  If she's never been given a diamond before that may buy you some time.  But if she already has some diamond rings on her fingers, she might not be as impressed.  Such expectations are the same for the U of A basketball coach from its fans.   

WestMemphisHogFan

Good points anti-Otis, but if you will re-read my post, I tried to explain that I was only defending Heath from the statement "he will never be..." etc.  It is not fair to SH to say what he will be in another 15 years of coaching college BB.

Speaking of carbon, etc. if someone hadn't given Pitino time, he would have never become the "diamond" that you and others say that he is.  That is my point exactly.  We have SH, and he is sitting at 22-8 right now, with at least another SEC game, and then the NCAAT. 

It wouldn't be fair to compare the carbon with a diamond that has already developed. Wait and see, if the diamond never develops, then compare, and we can then say, "Heath is not the coach Pitino was"...

Now, I believe that the U of A has diamonds on her fingers to use your analogy.  But were they diamonds when they first came to the hill?  I don't think they were.  Eddie Sutton had proven he was a good coach at Creighton, but was not nationally recognized as a great coach until he was given TIME at the U of A.  Same thing with Nolan.  He had done some great things, won a NIT title, etc., but wasn't recognized nationally as a great coach until he was given some TIME at Arkansas.  He almost ran out of time when Arkansas State almost beat him in the NIT, but he made it through and the rest is history.  I believe they went from "carbon to a diamond" in their years at Arkansas.  IMO, the same thing will happen with SH.

My point when I first wrote my post was you can't compare Pitino to Heath and give a fair comparision.  That's like comparing apples and oranges. And you helped me make my point with the carbon and diamond analogy.

(BTW, the 20 years is indeed counting only College BB)

Salvaboar Dali

How could anyone fire Nolan after one losing season?

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 09, 2006, 11:09:23 am
How could ANYONE turn Pitino down for an up and coming coach?
I like Stan Heath and feel the team has improved under his watch, but we're talking about RICK "***" PITINO!!!!!
I'd take Rick Pitino over ANY college coach that is coaching today.
Sorry Stan..................................

Zimhogwe

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on March 10, 2006, 07:50:42 am
Pitino has proven over and over at multiple programs that he can be successful as a college basketball head coach.  Stan Heath has even yet to coach in a NCAAT game.   

Well, Coach Heath did have that little trip to the Elite Eight in the 2002 NCAAT.  With Kent State.

And the Arkansas team he inherited in 2002 bore little resemblance to the powerhouse teams of the early to mid-90's.

As to whether he will do well the next 15 years, I think the man deserves a chance to actually make his history before he's judged on it. :)

taintlint

Regardless of what Heath has or will accomplish, you should never pass on Pitino. He is bound for the Hall of Fame and is only 52. He could still coach for another 20 years. You do not pass up a guy who wins National Championships, goes to Final 4's, and consistently goes deep in the tourny with teams like "Boston" or Louisville. Heath may end up just fine but you do not pass up a legend simply because you think your coach might end up just fine.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Zimhogwe on March 10, 2006, 09:59:06 am
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on March 10, 2006, 07:50:42 am
Pitino has proven over and over at multiple programs that he can be successful as a college basketball head coach.  Stan Heath has even yet to coach in a NCAAT game.   

Well, Coach Heath did have that little trip to the Elite Eight in the 2002 NCAAT.  With Kent State.

And the Arkansas team he inherited in 2002 bore little resemblance to the powerhouse teams of the early to mid-90's.

I think the man deserves a chance to actually make his history before he's judged on it. :)

You are absolutely right and I stand corrected.  That is hard to remember after the first 3 years here without a winning conference record let alone a NCAAT appearance.  Things are beginning to look up.