What do we know about Ramar Smith?

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawgzilla

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 21, 2006, 12:25:19 pm
Quote from: bigal on February 21, 2006, 11:58:42 am

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/501204.html

Hey Stewie,do you think we get both of these guys,or how do you feel this will turn out......I feel that recruiting under Stan is getting better each year......

ENHOG

Were there any Ramar signs at the game tonight?  I wonder how he liked BWA atmosphere?
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

J.A.Y.

How could you not like that atmosphere, that place was insane.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

JackJohnson

attended 4 high schools so far
huge grade risk
UCONN backed off

that pretty much sums it up.

I would rather have beverley...

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Hawgzilla on February 21, 2006, 12:33:54 pm
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 21, 2006, 12:25:19 pm

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/501204.html

Hey Stewie,do you think we get both of these guys,or how do you feel this will turn out......I feel that recruiting under Stan is getting better each year......

Shaeffer said yesterday we're only going to take one of the two.  And actually, there's a third guy but I didn't catch his name.

Anyways, Rick said he think Arkansas would rather have Beverley but the first to commit between the two will get the scholarship.  If Ramar committed last night, that would end the recruiting of Beverley.  I like that; make 'em feel like it would be a privilege for them to come to Arkansas, not for Arkansas to have them come here.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

return2glory

If we were taking 2 more, wouldn't we go after Ramar and Beverly? Who would get the second, if it is given out if it isn't Beverly?

ENHOG

I thought I heard somewhere that Cranfords schollie is expendable... Beverly!!

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: ENHOG on February 22, 2006, 10:22:57 am
I thought I heard somewhere that Cranfords schollie is expendable... Beverly!!

I totally agree..why waste a schollie on a walk-on that never plays?  Give it to someone who's going to help the team.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 22, 2006, 08:51:46 am

attended 4 high schools so far
huge grade risk
UCONN backed off

that pretty much sums it up.

I would rather have beverley...

Everything you stated was correct except UCONN didn't back off, they stated that to save face.  He is not a "HUGE" grade risk he is close.  He is this yrs version of Brandon Rush win a elite player has a lot of programs back off prematurely.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogerrific

Why could we not take both? Would you back off this kind of talent for...why??? We'd only have 13 on schollie even counting Cranford and Ronnie, assuming he doesn't go early.

Hugehogsfan

I mean you have to use those scholies for the BEST players.  Someone who has walked on deserves the scholie, BUT I think with the situation being that Stan is under so much pressure, I say give it to some real players. 

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on February 22, 2006, 12:49:40 pm
I mean you have to use those scholies for the BEST players.  Someone who has walked on deserves the scholie, BUT I think with the situation being that Stan is under so much pressure, I say give it to some real players. 
Some walk-ons eventually prove that they can contribute to the team and they EARN scholarships.  I think Heath gave Cranford one b/c at the time we had extra scholies that were going to go unused, (possibly one designated for Al Jefferson), but he hasn't earned it and doesn't deserve to keep it, quite frankly.

Coach Nutt has to do this occassionally.  If he's not willing to stay on as a non-scholarship player than Coach Heath should help him find a school who will give him one to transfer, (possibly ATU, UCA, etc.).  Bottom line: give the scholarship to Ramar Smith or Patrick Beverley if that's what it takes to get them here.  Don't let it go to waste on someone like Cranford just because he's "a good kid".

neahogfan

I dont think it would be wise to have 3 combo guards in the same class.  Which would be the case with Smith, Beverly, and Welsh if we took both Smith and Beverly.  Not sure, just makes sense to me.  They both sound like very good players though.

Fletch

Quote from: hogerrific on February 22, 2006, 12:39:49 pm
Why could we not take both? Would you back off this kind of talent for...why??? We'd only have 13 on schollie even counting Cranford and Ronnie, assuming he doesn't go early.
Returning players

1. Brewer
2. Cranford
3. Hunter
4.Townes
5.Thomas
6. Hill
7. McGowan
8. McCurdy

Incoming

9. Ervin
10. Welsh
11. Weems
12. Washington

We only have room for Smith or Beverly unless you take Cranford's Scholarship or Ronnie bolts.
I feel like $100

HighonSwine

Don't forget about Weems as a Combo in there as well.  Welsh they were saying can play point.  IMO, you can never have too many scorers or people that can shoot.  You can find a place on the floor for them.  Get them here, use Cranford's schoolie if need be, and worry about everything else afterwards.  If they can play basketball (dribble, shoot & MAKE shots, Rebound, Defend) sign em up!

Fletch

To me we need shooters, period. If we have to take 3 combo guards to fill that need, fine. We need more than one person that can fill it up. We lose Modica, Ferguson, Jefferson at guards. An extra combo that can shoot will help us more than an inadequate point guard or big man.
I feel like $100

bigred7987

Cranford has said he will give up his schollie if need be I believe I read that somewhere

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: bigred7987 on February 22, 2006, 03:03:18 pm
Cranford has said he will give up his schollie if need be I believe I read that somewhere

Scholarships are re-newed on a yearly basis and Cranford is aware of the situation and would gladly give up his schollie knowing he would immediately be qualified for a academic one. ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The Coletrain

I don't think we are going to overextend ourselves from a scholarship standpoint this year because SH knows how many really good players we have a chance at next year.  This '07 class could be the best we've seen in quite a while.  So I think he'll take one of the two guards and then pocket the other scholly for the next class (if there is another scholly available). 
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

return2glory

I noticed that Scout has an article up entitled, "Ramar Loved It". It talks about his impressions of the university and game. Unfortunately I'm not a paying member. (Being poor sucks) Anyone care to summarize the article?

Deuce Pigelow

Quote from: return2glory on February 22, 2006, 04:53:02 pm

I noticed that Scout has an article up entitled, "Ramar Loved It". It talks about his impressions of the university and game. Unfortunately I'm not a paying member. (Being poor sucks) Anyone care to summarize the article?

Yea, I hate to be a moocher, but can some one please enlighten us poor folk on Ramar's thoughts of the game last night. What a game for him to attend.

Pignominious

Souds to me like we be in da driva's seat! 8)
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

cardinalhawg

I like the idea that Smith can score and is highly touted, but can he knock downt the outside shot.  Point guard play and outside shooting are two of the obvious weaknesses, but at least it sounds that Smith and already signed Welsh can score and handle the ball some.

I would like to get both Beverley and Smith, but if Beverley is the better shooter, I would prefer him, if he is one that can readily get that shot off.

ENHOG

He said he loved the atmosphere!! :razorback:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Highway Hog Sign

Scout.com says we're #1 on his list, for what it's worth.

STEWIE: When are we going to know something?  What's the signing day??

return2glory

Here's an article that mentions we have a deep snapper walking on. There's a blurb about Ramar at the bottom. Doesn't say much about his visit, but he does refer to himself as being able to shut down the other teams best scorer. We could use another good perimeter defender, since we are losing Ferguson. Hopefully the kid isn't tooting his own horn and really is willing to get in there and mix it up.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/146696/

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: return2glory on February 23, 2006, 09:32:04 am

Here's an article that mentions we have a deep snapper walking on. There's a blurb about Ramar at the bottom. Doesn't say much about his visit, but he does refer to himself as being able to shut down the other teams best scorer. We could use another good perimeter defender, since we are losing Ferguson. Hopefully the kid isn't tooting his own horn and really is willing to get in there and mix it up.

They all think they're shut down defenders...

dotnet

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on February 23, 2006, 09:48:55 am

No they don't.  Most of them don't care about defense and don't even mention it.  "They" just talk about how many points they scored and that is it. I would love to have someone with the confidence and reported skills to lock down the other teams best perimeter player.

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: dotnet on February 23, 2006, 10:18:16 am
Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on February 23, 2006, 09:48:55 am

No they don't.  Most of them don't care about defense and don't even mention it.  "They" just talk about how many points they scored and that is it. I would love to have someone with the confidence and reported skills to lock down the other teams best perimeter player.

Yeah they do.  They think they can guard anybody, score on anybody, hit any shot they take...hell man, they're teenagers.  They don't know any better.

The_Bionic_Pig

You guys remember Dajuan Wagner (U of Memphis) well Patrick Beverley is a clone of him offensively in that he can score on you 10 different ways and doesn't rely solely on jump shots (Chris Loften) or Quickness off the dribble (Ronald Steele).   

Now to get a sense of Ramar Smith's game (Remember I am Not comparing talent level just game)   watch Jarrius Jackson at Texas Tech  (College Level) or  Chauncey Billups (Pro Level) HUSKY/STOCKY upper body built to taking punishment while driving to the basket or creating space on the perimeter.

Neither of these guys are Jannero Pargo, Alex Dillard types....if that is what you guys/gals were thinking.  But both have very, very good handles and can play the PG position if needed.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on February 23, 2006, 11:54:04 am
You guys remember Dajuan Wagner (U of Memphis) well Patrick Beverley is a clone of him offensively in that he can score on you 10 different ways and doesn't rely solely on jump shots (Chris Loften) or Quickness off the dribble (Ronald Steele).   

Now to get a sense of Ramar Smith's game (Remember I am Not comparing talent level just game)   watch Jarrius Jackson at Texas Tech  (College Level) or  Chauncey Billups (Pro Level) HUSKY/STOCKY upper body built to taking punishment while driving to the basket or creating space on the perimeter.

Neither of these guys are Jannero Pargo, Alex Dillard types....if that is what you guys/gals were thinking.  But both have very, very good handles and can play the PG position if needed.

It's fun to speculate how these covted players would fit in our system and think that we actually have a choice, as opposed to a few years ago when you couldn't pay players to come here.  But, I think we've learned that you never really know how good someone's going to be until they actually get up here.

mtownhog

Comparing Dajuan Wagner to Patrick Beverly offensively is pretty bold.  Wagner averaged over 20 points a game as a freshmen at Memphis and once scored 100 points in a high school basketball game.  If Beverly does turn out to be another Wagner, then he'll be an all-american in 2 years.

berryhog

Quote from: hogerrific on February 22, 2006, 12:39:49 pm

Each NCAA Division 1 program can have a maximum of 13 scholarship players.  So it looks like we might have to choose between the two or pull someone's scholarship.  Hopefully, this time we choose the more productive one.  (Jefferson and Lofton)

ENHOG

We actually can use Preston Cranfords!  He even knows that last year was a fluke for him to receive a scholarship.

dotnet

I wouldn't say Steele relies on quickness off the dribble to score.  I don't know if you saw the Arkansas/Alabama game, but he looked like he could score enough by just shotting the three.