Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Extension makes Gary Pinkel SEC's 10th $4 million coach

QuoteFollowing a second straight SEC East Division championship in just its third year in the SEC, Missouri has extended the contract of head coach Gary Pinkel and rewarded him with a nice bump in pay. Pinkel's contract has been extended through 2021 with a guaranteed salary of $4.02 million.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Steve Berkowitz @ByBerkowitz  ·  16h 16 hours ago

Ten of the 13 SEC public school football coaches now slated to make at least $4M for 2015 season; exceptions are at Fla., Ky., Tenn

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  16h 16 hours ago

Of the 10 SEC coaches now making $4 million-plus, five have never won an SEC championship.

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  16h 16 hours ago

The school owes Pinkel his expected salary for the year if it terminates him without cause before the end. So, more than $4M.

Pinkel owes the school $500K if he terminates contract for any reason other than retirement from coaching before the end of the deal.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  2h 2 hours ago

There's actually some head coaching longevity in the SEC. Richt/Pinkel starting 15th season, Miles/Spurrier 11th, Saban 9th, Mullen 7th.

jbcarol

LSU Tigers @Geaux247  ·  21h 21 hours ago

Wishing a happy 50th birthday to #LSU assistant Steve Kragthorpe! #GeauxTigers

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  20h 20 hours ago
Steve Spurrier to release autobiography http://scne.ws/9b2lXv  #thestate #gg

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN  ·  2h 2 hours ago

UF will have new FB/hoop coaches same year for 1st time since Steve Spurrier, Lon Kruger (1990-91)

jbcarol

Gene Sapakoff @Sapakoff  ·  May 1

Hate to see Ron Morris announce his "retirement" today. S.C. journalism improved significantly when Ron set the bar very high.

From Oct, 2012: Spurrier has a history of going after local columnists who have been critical of him

QuoteThe Penn State comparison is what set off South Carolina's Steve Spurrier, and Spurrier was right to be upset at local sports writer Ron Morris for making it. It's too soon to use the tragedy at Penn State as a point of reference, as a warning sign, about another coach at another school who could be growing too powerful for his own good.

That's how Morris, a columnist for the Columbia State, used the Penn State comparison last week on a local radio show -- noting that Spurrier is so angry at Morris' critiques that he isn't taking questions from anyone in the media. And that the administration at South Carolina was letting Spurrier get away with it.

"This," Morris said on the radio, "is how things like Penn State happen."

Morris wasn't saying a pedophile will strike South Carolina, or that Spurrier would allow a pedophile to run unchecked. Morris was saying, quite clearly, that it's a bad idea for a coach to become too powerful at his school, just as Joe Paterno grew to be too powerful at Penn State. That's what Morris meant.

But it was a bad analogy -- wrong time, wrong situation -- and Spurrier flipped.

And in the process, Spurrier is confirming Morris' overall point.

In the days since Morris made that comment on the radio, Spurrier has made comments of his own, ominous comments about the career of Ron Morris, petulant comments about the career of Steve Spurrier, scary comments about the control of the media in a setting as provincial as Columbia, S.C., home of the South Carolina Gamecocks, who have found the best coach in program history and aren't about to let a sports writer scare that coach away...

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  May 2

4 yrs ago Derek Dooley had a Top15 signing class but it fizzled & today #Vols failed to have a player drafted for the first time since 1964

jbcarol

Bryan the Intern @BryantheIntern  ·  3h 3 hours ago

The Joker Phillips [error] in 1 stat: Phillips took 67 commitments during his tenure as head coach. Bud Dupree was his only draft pick.

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum @finebaum  ·  4h 4 hours ago
"Anything less than 10-2, people are going to be calling for his head in Baton Rouge" - Former LSU All-American @SECbooger on Les Miles

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  14h 14 hours ago

From Billy Donovan and Urban Meyer to Mike White and Jim McElwain. Oh my! #Gators

jbcarol

Replacing a legendary coach can be humbling. Pressure can come quick, and some can succumb to it.

QuoteRon Zook went 23-14 in three seasons at Florida replacing Steve Spurrier and was fired midway through his third campaign. Ray Goff lasted seven seasons replacing Vince Dooley at Georgia, but was let go after posting a 46-34-1 overall record and a 1-6 record against the rival Gators. Goff faced the added dimension of reporting to Dooley, who was his athletic director.

"It's tough because you know he's upstairs and there's someone upstairs that's done it before you and they are very much revered," Goff said. "It's very difficult. I was 33 years old. Shoot, it was hard."

In 1982, Ray Perkins left an NFL coaching job with the New York Giants to return to his alma mater to replace Bear Bryant at Alabama. Perkins said when Bryant called him, he told him he would walk to Tuscaloosa to take the job. Perkins went 32-15-1 in four seasons at Alabama before returning to the NFL in 1987 to coach the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"I never looked at it as being pressurized," Perkins said. "I looked at it as being a great honor. I looked at it as being a great challenge. I went about my job and expected all of the people that I was responsible for to go about their jobs in a fashion that would reflect in a good, positive way over the entire program."

jbcarol

Tony Barnhart @MrCFB  ·  May 10

Happy Mother's Day from Coach Bear Bryant: "Have you called your momma today? I sure wish I could call mine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hq9wfYb13U ...

jbcarol

Tommy Tuberville ‏@TTuberville

In Baltimore with the @SC_HBC and @UnderArmour and we're making new friends. #ThankYouVeryMuch
5:24 PM - 14 May 2015

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  May 14

I'd go on a cruise with Houston Nutt just so when we get close to shore he'd say, "You're not that far off." http://www.legendarycoachescruise.com/guests/

(Click on Houston's bio. It's straight from old Arkansas media guide. Ignoring the Ole Miss tenure is probably for the best.)

Chase Parham @RivalsChase  ·  May 14

@HKellenbergerCL FIFTY MILES FROM SHORE!! FIFTY!!!

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  May 14

"The Legendary Coaches Cruise will almost definitely probably hopefully not get lost at sea."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  May 13

Yeah we all know the SEC West is good. But what happens to the $4 million coach who loses it? http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/05/13/kellenberger-top-sec-west-far-bottom/27226391/ ...

Quote"It's a man's league." "Different styles. Different philosophies. But they're ones that work." "I think it's always been the toughest division in college football."

That's Gus Malzahn, Bret Bielema and Les Miles, respectively, and what they're talking about is the greatness of the SEC West. It's the best division in the best conference in football, which does not in any way resemble a hot take. Water is wet, the sky is blue, and the SEC West will run all over you.

So yeah, hardly news — though you do wonder if incoming Southeastern Conference commissioner Greg Sankey is going to have "It's a man's league" put on a banner and flown over Hoover, Alabama, during the SEC Media Days this July. That the coaches said it all on Tuesday, when joined by their four other division peers in a teleconference, was only because they were asked the specific question.

Here is what was left unsaid: Someone is going to finish last this fall, and that coach is going to be in a heap of trouble. Because who pays $4 million a year to finish last in its division?

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  May 14

Bill Curry told @aldotcom he was "stunned" he beat Bobby Bowden for the Alabama job in '87: http://ow.ly/MWlqd  @Finebaum

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Auburn paid $12.6 million to Tuberville/Chizik. Tennessee paid $11 million to Fulmer/Dooley. Nutt got $9 million from Arkansas and Ole Miss.

jbcarol

ICYMI From April:
Power Five college football coach rankings: Nos. 66-26

Quote65. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt: Vandy is not an easy job, and Mason deserves time to put his plan in place, but an 0-8 start in the SEC didn't help much here.

58. Mark Stoops, Kentucky: The Wildcats improved by three wins in Stoops' second year in Lexington, and if that trend continues, he'll climb up these rankings quickly.

49. Jim McElwain, Florida: If McElwain can turn the Gators around like he did Colorado State, he'll be climbing the ladder in no time.

37. Butch Jones, Tennessee: Jones has won at his previous coaching stops, and now he's trying to make Tennessee an SEC contender again.

35. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State: Things finally came together for Mullen in Starkville last season, but can the Bulldogs pull off an encore?

33. James Franklin, Penn State: What Franklin accomplished at Vanderbilt was one of the most impressive coaching performances of all time, and should it continue at Penn State, he's going to fly up these rankings in the years to come.

32. David Cutcliffe, Duke: Cutcliffe has won 19 games in the last two seasons at Duke. What more needs to be said?

31. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss: The Rebels have yet to finish higher than third in the SEC West under Freeze, but they've improved each season.

26. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M: Things have gone the wrong direction the last two years at A&M, but you can't help but feel that will turn around with Sumlin in charge.

Power Five college football coach rankings: The Top 25

Quote21. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: This is as much a testament to Pinkel's longevity as it is what he has accomplished. He built Missouri into a legitimate contender in the Big 12, and he then responded to the popular opinion that Missouri would be sacrificed to the SEC gods by winning 23 games the past two years with two SEC East division titles. So, you know, there's a reason he has been around so long.

19. Bobby Petrino, Louisville: Say what you want about Petrino -- and a lot of people have said a lot of things about him -- you can't deny the fact that he has won wherever he has been as a college coach. Whether at Louisville, Arkansas, his one season at Western Kentucky, now at Louisville again, he has a formula for success that just works.

18. Bret Bielema, Arkansas: His personality might rub some people the wrong way, but you can't deny what Bielema has done as a coach. He won three straight Big Ten titles before leaving for Arkansas, and after a rough start in 2013, the Hogs were a lot better than that 7-6 mark in 2014 might have you believe.

10. Gus Malzahn, Auburn: The 2014 season was the first in Malzahn's career as a head coach that didn't end in a conference title. Even so, he's still a rock star with Auburn fans, and there aren't many college football fans in the country who wouldn't enjoy having Malzahn run their offense. He's both fun and successful so far, and that's a nice combination.

7. Mark Richt, Georgia: When it comes to Richt, people spend too much time focusing on what he hasn't done rather than what he has. The man has coached 184 games with the Bulldogs and he has won 136 (74 percent) of them. He has won two SEC titles (the only two Georgia has won in the past 32 years) and six SEC East crowns. The only thing he has been guilty of has been coaching in a conference that has been the home of some of the best coaches and teams in the country the past 20 years.

6. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina: The Head Ball Coach has accomplished plenty in his time as a college football coach -- his run at Florida was extremely impressive and included a national title in 1996 -- and he deserves to be ranked in the top 10. I would be lying to you, though, if I didn't say that his personality definitely bumped him up a few spots. He's just fun.

4. Les Miles, LSU: Do I think Miles is a bit overrated here? Yes, yes I do. If he wasn't the cartoon character that is Les Miles, he would no doubt drop a notch or two, but you know what? He has still been an excellent coach throughout his career. He helped reverse Oklahoma State's fortunes before taking over at LSU, and since going to Baton Rouge, he has won 78 percent of his games. One of those games was a BCS title game in 2007 (one of the 22 percent he lost was a BCS title game in 2011). The Mad Hatter has been both mad and successful.

1. Nick Saban, Alabama: It says a lot about what Saban has done at Alabama that when the Tide go two years without winning a national title you start to wonder if Saban's losing "it." Putting aside the fact that Saban has won four national championships and five SEC titles as a coach, though, there's another fact about Saban that blows my mind. Think about how powerful the SEC has been since the dawn of the BCS era. Now realize that in his 13 seasons as an SEC coach, he's lost only 23 SEC games. That's right, in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country, Saban has managed to win 77 percent of the time. Hell, at Alabama he's only lost 11 SEC games in eight seasons...

jbcarol

Donovan McNabb✔ @donovanjmcnabb

It bothers me to see the decision being made by my alma mater to u retire the legendary 44. The great RBs who wore the number put SU on the
8:18 PM - 19 May 2015

Alex Willis, a Ribault High grad and former Florida wide receiver, wore Steve Spurrier's retired No.11 during spring practice in 1998. Spurrier, a 1966 Heisman Trophy winner for the Gators, brought his number out of retirement when he became the team's head coach in 1990. Spurrier gave Willis his number, but Willis switched to No.80, his idol Jerry Rice's number, in the fall.

"I didn't realize the real importance behind the number and what was going on until after practice. All the reporters were gathering around me talking about the number and from that day forth as long as I had No. 11, everything I did at practice people watched it," said Willis, who played at UF from 1998-2000. "As long as you're doing good, you get a lot of publicity and a lot of hype, but if you're not performing well it's vice-versa. It's really going to tear your career apart."

QuoteBen Hanks, who played linebacker for the Gators from 1992-95, was the first Gator player after Spurrier to wear No.11. Former Florida linebacker Scot Brantley agreed to unretire his No.55. The university honors Spurrier and 1996 Heisman Trophy winner Danny Wuerffel with their painted jerseys on a wall inside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

"When Spurrier came back in 1990, he said, 'I want my jersey unretired because I don't think it's appropriate,'" said Norm Carlson, UF's assistant athletics director for communications. "He never was comfortable having his jersey retired to begin with because he felt it was a subjective decision and there are a lot of people whose jersey should be retired. I think that's pretty much the feeling here.

"Where do you draw the line? You've got so many great players. Where do you say this guy gets his jersey retired and this guy who did just as much as he did but doesn't?"

[Then] FSU athletics director Dave Hart said the school only honors jerseys, recent ones being Warrick Dunn's No.28 and Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke's No.16. However, the Seminoles will leave their five retired numbers alone, including Sellers' No.34. The others are Fred Biletnikoff (No.25), Ron Simmons (No.50), Deion Sanders (No.2) and Charlie Ward (No.17).

jbcarol

Chelsa Messinger @ChelsaMessinger  ·  18h 18 hours ago

College football coaches have sweet business cards. Need to step my BC game up after seeing these #Auburn #Louisville

jbcarol

Butch Jones @UTCoachJones  ·  May 21

Happy 80th birthday to a good friend of mine - Legendary Coach Johnny Majors!!! Love ya coach & enjoy the day!!!

jbcarol

SN College Football @sn_ncaaf  ·  May 18

How good is @Duke_FB coach David Cutcliffe? He's No. 1 in our @theACCfootball coach rankings. http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4643995-acc-coach-rankings-2015-cutcliffe-jimbo-fisher-dabo-swinney-paul-johnson-petrino ...

jbcarol

Gary Pinkel inducted into MAC Hall of Fame

QuoteGary Pinkel is about to enter his 15th season as Missouri's head coach. That's a long time in any job, and especially long as a head football coach at a Power Five institution. Long enough for Pinkel to pass a pair of College Football Hall of Fame coaches in Don Faurot and Dan Devine as Mizzou's all-time winningest coach.

From 1991-2000, Pinkel guided Toledo to a 73-37-3 mark. He guided the Rockets to an 11-0-1 mark in 1994, claiming a MAC championship and a top 25 final ranking. Pinkel's teams also won the MAC West Division in 1997 and 1998...

Pinkel won enough to become Toledo's all-time winningest coach, joining him with Steve Spurrier as the only active coaches to hold the all-time wins mark at two separate schools.

And on Wednesday, Pinkel was inducted into the conference's hall of fame.

"When I got the call that this happened I had tears in my eyes, that I could be honored like this," Pinkel told Cleveland.com. "I am very, very appreciative of this award. This (getting to the dinner) was really important to me."

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 3h3 hours ago

Salary details for 3 new Auburn assistants coming into focus http://ow.ly/NCFLZ

QuoteFOI: Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's contract, valued at more than $1.6 million in each of the next three years, will be released "pretty soon," athletics director Jay Jacobs said Wednesday.

Auburn open records show Muschamp is being paid $250,000 per year through the university, though most of his contract is being compensated by Tigers Unlimited Foundation, the private fundraising arm of the athletics department.

"We put as much as we can on the Tigers Unlimited side because that's where we generate the revenue to pay for that other part of the salary," Jacobs said.

Muschamp's buyout has not yet been released, but those details will be tied directly to his overall compensation.

Muschamp is also being paid $2.1 million over the next two years by Florida, which bought him out after four seasons as the Gators' head coach. His total compensation is above $3.7 million per year.

Meanwhile, salary figures for secondary coach Travaris Robinson and outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson are nearing transparency. Robinson is being paid $575,000 per year, according to payroll records. Thompson's salary is somewhere between $450,000 and $500,000, according to the records.

The new contracts represent an increase of $1.8 million in the salary pool, with an estimated total of least $6.1 million for salaries on Auburn's nine-man staff.

jbcarol

Sam Upshaw Jr. ‏@CJ_Upshot 2h2 hours ago

.@CoachPetrinoUL & @UKCoachStoops with Billy Reed at Gov. Cup luncheon. #L1C4 #BBN @jeffgreer_cj @KyleTucker_CJ

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 19h19 hours ago

Former Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman opens up about coaching HS football http://es.pn/1Ju0TIi

QuoteNORTH EASTHAM, Mass. -- For years, Mike Sherman has been casting off from the outer shores of Cape Cod, fishing under the shadows of Nauset Lighthouse for stripers, blues or anything else that will nibble on his line.

Nauset Regional High School, which sits less than a half mile from Sherman's fishing spot, garnered national attention over the weekend when athletic director Keith Kenyon announced the hiring of the former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M head coach as the new head coach of the football program.

Sherman did not get to coach A&M in the SEC but did some classic matchups in the renewed rivalry with Arkansas.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 19h19 hours ago Bryan, TX

Kevin Sumlin joked that sitting in the SEC spring meeting room with 13 other football coaches, "I'm the only nice guy in the room."

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 13h13 hours ago

Ray Graves' former players gather to remember their coach - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150607/ARTICLES/150609743 ...

QuoteRay Graves always affectionately referred to the players who played football for him at Florida as his boys, even after they'd grown into aging, graying men in their 60s and 70s.

His boys got together one last time for Graves on Sunday to celebrate his long and remarkable life, and to say goodbye to their beloved coach during a one-hour memorial service in the Touchdown Terrace at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Graves, the former UF coach and athletic director, died at age 96 on April 10 in Clearwater.

"Daddy always called the players his boys, and he said all of you are extended family," said Katherine Graves Springfield, one of Graves' three daughters. "So, it's nice to see all of this family here today."

Graves' wife of 72 years, Opal, could not make the ceremony, but there were 63 former players from the Silver Sixties in the audience of about 200. Late in the ceremony, each former Graves' player was asked to stand and identify himself.

It was an all-star lineup from the 1960-69 era that included Steve Spurrier, Guy Dennis, Steve Tannen, Gene Peek, Carlos Alvarez, Allen Trammell, Richard Trapp, Mac Steen and many others.

jbcarol

Former University of Kentucky head football coach Guy Morriss has joined Lexington Christian Academy as an assistant coach

QuoteMorriss will join the staff immediately and serve as a special assistant coach with a focus on linemen and special teams.

"We are thrilled to add Coach Morriss to the LCA football staff," Athletic Director Terry Johnson said in a news release. "We have a terrific young staff and we are constantly looking for ways to improve our programs. Certainly adding somebody with Coach Morriss' experience and integrity will be terrific for our football student-athletes."

Morriss, 64, coached Kentucky in 2001 and 2002, putting UK football back on solid ground in the wake of the recruiting scandal that took down the program of his predecessor, Hal Mumme. Morriss' teams went 2-9 in 2001 and 7-5 in 2002.

Morriss then surprised UK fans by leaving the Wildcats to become head coach at Baylor, where he went 18-40 in five seasons.

Morriss briefly returned to the Bluegrass as an assistant at Kentucky State before serving as head coach for four seasons at Texas A&M Commerce. He stepped down from that job in 2012 and worked in athletic administration at the school.

Morriss returned to the high school ranks last season as an offensive line coach at Warren Central.

"I am very excited to join the staff at LCA and be back in central Kentucky," Morriss said. "It is a terrific school with a great young coach and outstanding facilities. I can't wait to start working with the young men."

Morriss graduated from Texas Christian University and played 15 years as an offensive lineman in the NFL for Philadelphia and New England before launching his coaching career. Morriss played in the Super Bowl for the Patriots in the 1985 season.

jbcarol

Which SEC coaches' seats are hottest in 2015?

QuoteSEC football coaching carousel has been fairly quiet in recent years, with just one coaching change in the league in both 2013 (Vanderbilt) and 2014 (Florida).

Will 2015 be any different?

Unlike Florida's Will Muschamp last year, it doesn't appear any SEC coach heads into this season in imminent danger of being fired. However, circumstances could change with a few bad losses.

1. Mark Stoops, Kentucky

2. Les Miles, LSU: Miles is most dangerous when he appears wounded, and 2014 was a tough season for "The Hat."

3. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M: Sumlin's reputation and $5 million salary...

4. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina: There's virtually no scenario by which Spurrier would get fired, barring a Paterno-esque off-field scandal. But...

5. Gus Malzahn, Auburn: Yes, Malzahn is just two years removed from an SEC title and near-miss in the BCS National Championship Game. But we know how quickly things can and do change on the Plains. Terry Bowden was fired less than a year after an SEC West title. Tommy Tuberville was shown the door after seeing a 6-game winning streak over Alabama snapped. Gene Chizik won a national championship, and was out a scant two years later. Auburn suffered a few embarrassing losses in 2014, sliding back to 8-5. Georgia and Alabama both visit Jordan-Hare in November, and another late-season collapse might spell doom for Malzahn.

jbcarol

The Solid Verbal ‏@SolidVerbal Jun 8

Assembled media applauding a company's presentation? Apple and SEC Media Days should just join forces at this point.

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmersonAJC Jun 8

@SolidVerbal I've covered SEC media day for years and can't remember the last time there was applause in the main room.

Jody Abbott ‏@VandyPilot

@SethEmersonAJC Robbie Caldwell got a huge round of applause in 2010. Unfortunately, that was the high point of his head coaching career.
11:13 AM - 8 Jun 2015

Seth Emerson ‏@SethEmersonAJC Jun 8

Seth Emerson retweeted Jody Abbott

This is actually true. Probably shouldn't have happened, but he killed it so much that some media couldn't help it.

jbcarol

Whatever happened to Robbie Caldwell?  The Vandy assistant claimed he was lining the practice field when he got called in and was informed he was replacing Bobby Johnson as Vandy's (interim?) head football coach.  After making a huge splash as SEC Media Days, the reality of the SEC schedule caught up with him and he was replaced by James Franklin.

Robbie Caldwell
Clemson Assistant Coach / Offensive Linemen

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 1m1 minute ago

Auburn's Gus Malzahn has small school to thank for his career http://ow.ly/OeZ0k

QuoteThe Auburn coach is scheduled to speak at his old high school today at a leadership seminar in Arkansas. It's here at Fort Smith Union Christian -- formerly Fort Smith Christian -- he'll reminisce about his playing days, his meteoric rise through the high school coaching ranks and share his advice for success.

If they play close attention, they'll also discover what drives Malzahn, the third-year Auburn coach who hasn't experienced a losing season since his second year at Hughes (Arkansas) High in 1992.

"He called me two weeks ago and he asked me, 'David, why did we go to school there?'" said David Little, Malzahn's close friend and teammate at Fort Smith Christian. "I said, well, for football. And he said you're right. Look at the doors that it opened up for us."

Fort Smith Christian maintained a football program from 1982 through 1987...

jbcarol

Warren Ball Jr. @WarrenB_

What happens when you park in Coach Meyer's spot lol blocked in until he leaves
12:25 PM - 15 Jun 2015

jbcarol

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 14h14 hours ago

Cowboys WR coach Derek Dooley asked about being able to feel Dez Bryant's energy when he's in the building

jbcarol

Guy Morriss wants Lexington to be his home again. Morris joined Lexington Christian Academy as an assistant coach.

QuoteMorriss led UK in 2001 and 2002 following a recruiting scandal that dismantled the program under Hal Mumme's watch. Morriss guided the Wildcats to 2-9 and 7-5 seasons before leaving to become the head coach at Baylor, where he went 18-40 over five seasons.

"It's just kind of a chapter we had to go through," said Morriss of leaving Lexington for Waco, Texas. "We just had to do what we had to do. That's the only way to describe it. ... It worked out OK."

The old mantra says "You can't go home again," but Morriss is eager to buck that notion in returning to an area he grew to adore over a decade ago. He kicked off his return to Kentucky last season as an offensive line coach at Warren Central. Bowling Green was nice, he said, but he and wife Jackie needed an eastward move to feel more at ease.

"My wife and I, it didn't feel like home to us," Morriss said. "When I came in '97 with Coach Mumme, we just fell in love with Kentucky. (Lexington) is what we consider our home. We want to retire here."

Atchley was excited to bring Morriss aboard, citing the wide range of things he's experienced over his career as crucial to the team's and the second-year head coach's success.

"I want to surround these guys with as much experience as I can," Atchley said. "You can already tell he's had an impact."

Morriss perceives himself more as an accessory than essential to Lexington Christian's development, but still thinks he'll bring a differing perspective to the staff as "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

The Eagles — whose campus is four miles from Commonwealth Stadium — employ the Air Raid, an offense Morriss helped architect...

jbcarol

OXFORD – It's a slow and easy pace on Billy Brewer's porch, one that fits its occupant better now than it once did.

A widower soon to turn 80, the former Ole Miss football coach has earned the pace.

Overlooking his in-town tree-shaded property that resembles a country setting, Brewer recently chose the porch and its rockers to entertain questions about his career.

The career wasn't at a slow pace. It was mostly successful, at times volatile, always feisty and taking on SEC teams from the underdog's perspective.

QuoteMore than triumphs and hard knocks on the field it included a humbling brush with humanity. Brewer watched helplessly as a player who personified his work ethic, Roy Lee "Chucky" Mullins, was paralyzed while tackling a Vanderbilt player in 1989.

What followed was an outpouring of support and the hope of a nation, but Mullins was dead in less than two years.

"I don't know how younger people see it, but the job he did recruiting and getting us back to being competitive, the transformation he had to make from where the program was to where it was when he left it ... it's as good as any that's been done at Ole Miss ever," says John Darnell, a quarterback for Brewer in 1986-89.

Brewer was 67-56-3 in 11 seasons at Ole Miss, coaching from 1983 through '93.

His teams won eight or more games four times, nine games twice, and twice finished the season ranked in the top 25. Twice on his watch, the program was placed on NCAA probation.

The fact that NCAA lawlessness was much more commonplace among SEC teams then didn't get Brewer a pass from his administration. The second time cost him his job, and his defensive coordinator, Joe Lee Dunn, was named interim coach for 1994.

Brewer remains the school's second-winningest coach. He took on the task of rebuilding a once proud program that had lost its way since the retirement of John Vaught, who led the Rebels to six SEC championships and had teams recognized as national champion three times by various media outlets.

Brewer, a Columbus native, was a defensive back under Vaught, but by the time he became coach Ole Miss had won just 20 games over the previous five seasons and had not appeared in a bowl game since 1971.

"There were no facilities, no money for anything. Budget-wise we were last," Brewer said.

Weight training was a challenge, and rain showers forced the Rebels to walk through plays beneath the stands.

Still, Brewer's teams got in their licks against the league's best, a 21-19 win at No. 11 LSU in 1986 being one example.

Brewer left a type-written letter at the dressing space for each player before that rare afternoon game in Baton Rouge calling on them to play mistake-free football with courage.

"Typical coach Brewer letter. It gave me goosebumps," Darnell said.

The Rebels, in turn, gave LSU fits.

Ole Miss would knock off Alabama in Tuscaloosa the next year, something that hasn't happened before or since.

"We were going in for a touchdown in 1985 when they intercepted a pass and ran it back 99 yards for a touchdown and beat us. That was hard to take," former Auburn coach Pat Dye said. "We had the better football team, and they beat us. They never quit. They just never quit."

Brewer, on the porch, imitated Dye's gravelly voice...

Few games were played each season at a campus stadium with no lights. The Ole Miss "home games" often included a 21⁄2-hour bus ride to Jackson where depending on proximity the SEC opponent might have close to as many fans.

"It seemed like LSU had as many as we did," Darnell recalled.

Playing in Jackson was not Brewer's call, but it fit his MO.

There were some wild swings in his 11 years, five losing seasons including a low-water mark of 3-8 in 1987 during a probationary period. Brewer finished with a 34-37 SEC record in spite of winning only one conference game in a season three times.

But the highs – like playing for the SEC championship against Tennessee in Memphis in 1990 – were invigorating. They weren't slow and easy.

"I sold them on being underdogs," Brewer said. "I sold that to them, and they took pride in it."

jbcarol

Michael Casagrande ‏@ByCasagrande  4h4 hours ago
Why Lane Kiffin didn't get a raise along with other Alabama assistants. http://ow.ly/OHMrh

QuoteWhen asked for the reason Lane Kiffin didn't get a raise, the university answered quickly with a prepared statement.

"Due to his former relationship with USC, Kiffin is in a unique situation that does not require an amendment to his original contract with UA," read the statement from university spokesperson Deborah Lane.

Kiffin is still being paid by USC, who fired him as head coach in 2013. His pay at Alabama only subtracts from the money owed by USC. So unless his salary at Alabama exceeded his buyout from USC, he's still receiving the same amount annually.

The exact amount of Kiffin's buyout isn't known since USC is a private school exempt from public records requests. But the Los Angeles Times reported Kiffin was making $3.4 million a year at USC when he was fired

Similar to the Pelphrey deal at Florida.

jbcarol

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 9h9 hours ago

Happy Gary Pinkel Getting Married Day, everyone!!!

jbcarol

Coach Steve SpurrierVerified account@SC_HBC

Me. And. Several. Heisman. Dudes

10:05 AM - 1 Jul 2015

jbcarol

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 17h17 hours ago

Slive: I've really enjoyed Bret Bielema. He's been really great for the league. Every time we get together, we share a talk & a cigar.

jbcarol

Oral history of the Derek Dooley era at Tennessee

QuoteTennessee's football program appears to be on the cusp of returning to national relevance.  Two straight Top 10 recruiting classes and a lot of preseason hype going into the fall are proof of that.

It wasn't long ago that the Vols were at their lowest point in the program's 124-year history.

The hiring of Derek Dooley, and the 36 games that followed (2010-2012), will be remembered for an Orange Dog, the growing of bamboo, shower discipline, "Opportunity is Nowhere," a Vols' loss when Tennessee had 13 men on the field and a Vols' loss when their opponents had 18 men on the field...

Part I: Kiffin Leaves, Now What?

The surprise resignation of Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin on January 12, 2010 came as such a shock that UT students burned a mattress and local media had a meltdown.

Josh Ward:  Host of "Sports 180" on Sports Radio WNML in Knoxville.

People began giving their opinions on who Tennessee should hire as soon as Kiffin was gone. A lot of fans wanted a coach in place quickly. It didn't help that Mike Hamilton put a three-day window on the hiring process.  Kiffin left just a few weeks before signing day, which meant there wasn't much time to salvage the 2010 recruiting class. I didn't think that should have been the focus -- finding the right coach was the most important thing.

Chris Low:  ESPN.com College Football Reporter.

I remember thinking that Tennessee was really behind the eight ball. They weren't going to get their first choice, or even their fourth choice.  This was going to be their third coach in three seasons...

jbcarol

Perryn Keys ‏@KeysAdvocate Jul 17

Our updated story on the death of former #LSU coach and Bill Arnsparger: http://theadvocate.com/news/12939707-123/reports-former-lsu-head-football ...

Les Miles ‏@LSUCoachMiles Jul 17

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Arnsparger. A true gentleman & great coach. It's been an honor to follow in his footsteps at LSU.

QuoteBill Arnsparger, who came to LSU at a relatively advanced age to reverse the Tigers' football fortunes in the mid-1980s, died Friday in Athens, Alabama. He was 88.

Arnsparger only coached at LSU for three years, but he immediately elevated the Tigers' standing and was twice named Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year. He never finished worse than second in the league, which was not yet split into divisions.

He left with antagonistic feelings in some quarters to become athletic director at the University of Florida after what appeared to be a failed coup against LSU's then-athletic director, Bob Brodhead, the man who hired him.

A taciturn man with an often prickly personality, Arnsparger was known as "Two-Reel Bill" because of his penchant for watching film by the hour.

Arnsparger already was a legendary defensive coach, the architect of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins and their famed 1982 "Killer Bs'' unit...

A World War II Marine, Arnsparger was a protege of Kentucky's Blanton Collier and later was an assistant under Woody Hayes at Miami of Ohio and Ohio State. Later he was on the Kentucky staff with Shula, and the two forged a bond.

One of the reasons for the transformation was physical condition. Stovall's last team was nicknamed the "Lunch Bunch" for its bulk.

"The first time we got together, I just thought many of (the players) looked too fat, and that was before the tests we did," Arnsparger said.

So he set demanding body-fat ratios — 15 percent for lineman, 10 percent for backs and tight ends, 6 percent to 8 percent for skill positions — and almost every player met the requirements by the start of preseason camp.

"I cut out late-night snacks, rice and white bread,'' said offensive tackle Lance Smith, who dropped 40 pounds to end up at 265.

A year later, the 1985 Tigers, who went 9-2-1, picked up the nickname "The Lean Machine.''

LSU went 9-3 in 1986 and won the SEC for the first time since 1970.

Arnsparger's record then was 26-8-3 — at the time the best of any third-year coach in Tigers history. He had coached the Tigers to victories over the best of the best in college football: Southern California, Alabama, Notre Dame and Florida.

Only postseason struggles marred Arnsparger's LSU record. He lost two Sugar Bowls to Nebraska and a Liberty Bowl to Baylor. He also was at the helm in 1986 for one of the Tigers' most surprising losses ever, a 21-12 defeat to Arnsparger's alma mater, Miami of Ohio...

When Sports Illustrated ran a cover story headlined "Crazy Days at LSU,'' Arnsparger stormed into Brodhead's office demanding something be done about men's basketball coach Dale Brown because all the negativity was damaging football recruiting. He threatened to go back to the NFL if something wasn't done.

Shortly, Brodhead was called into the office of Chancellor James Wharton, who informed him that the football coach was more important to the university than the athletic director.

In "Sacked," Brodhead wrote, "I assume Arnsparger and the chancellor cut some sort of deal and that the athletic directorship (meaning Arnsparger would be in line for the job) came up during the discussion."

Just before the 1986 season opener against Texas A&M, with Brodhead out of town — and without Arnsparger contacting his boss to ask permission — Arnsparger went to Gainesville, Florida, to check on the open AD's position at Florida.

The upshot was a bizarre news conference in which Brodhead and Arnsparger, with long faces, sat at opposite ends of the head table, with Arnsparger saying he had "withdrawn" his name from the Florida opening.

"I think the case is closed,'' Brodhead said, but it wasn't.

After the SEC champion Tigers ended the regular season with a victory against Tulane, Arnsparger said he was stepping down as head coach. A week later, he became AD of the Gators.

Arnsparger is survived by his wife, BJ, son David and daughter Mary Susan.

jbcarol

Scott Carter ‏@GatorZoneScott 8h8 hours ago

#Gators HC Jim McElwain and HBC on way up to ESPN this morning...McElwain/Spurrier making "Car Wash" rounds today

jbcarol

John Clay ‏@johnclayiv 20h20 hours ago

For those interested, here is the obituary, including arrangements, for Bill Arnsparger http://www.hinton-turnerfuneralhome.com/index.php?P=32&FILENUMBER=971&ObituaryId=971 ...

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 19h19 hours ago

There's been 124 losing seasons by current SEC teams since @SC_HBC's 1st yr as an @SEC head coach. Spurrier has none!

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 4h4 hours ago

Larry Fedora on new DC Gene Chizik: "He was my top guy but for a long time it was a pipe dream. He's had an impact since day we hired him"

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3h3 hours ago

David Cutcliffe said he's had "6 serious offers" from NFL/college teams to leave Duke. "I love our people. Finishing something is important"

David Cutcliffe said he'd be on @CFBPlayoff selection committee after he's done coaching: "I'm a glutton for that type of punishment"

David Cutcliffe w/unique take on recruiting: "You can't let talent dictate your values & principles"

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 5h5 hours ago

Why Gus Malzahn has no interest in the NFL http://ow.ly/Ql0uj

QuoteThe third-year Auburn coach, whose name was connected to the Cleveland Browns job in late 2013, has a simple explanation as to why the idea of coaching in the NFL doesn't entice him like it may other college coaches.

"To me, that's business," Malzahn told AL.com. "There's a line separation. That's business. I like the daily contact with an individual, working with them to help them reach our goals and dreams within our team -- and individually. That feeling. That goes all the way back to high school and now I've just got them a couple years older, but it still feels the same. I love high school football, I love college football. They're really close."

Malzahn has often identified himself as a high school and college coach at heart...