Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Florida (updated pending new coaching hire)

Steve Spurrier won the Heisman while a UF QB/PK in 1966 only one year after Stokely-Van Camp had begun selling Gatorade. As a head coach, he led the '89 Duke team to their first bowl game since the Blue Devils defeated Lance Alworth and Arkansas in the '61 Cotton Bowl.

Spurrier returned to Florida to replace Waldon-native Gary Darnell. Darnell coached UF for seven games as a mid-season replacement for Galen Hall. His first Gator squad was ineligible for post-season play.

The Head Ball Coach was 87-12 in SEC games for the Gators. Florida was conference champions in '91, '93, '94, '95, '96, and 2000.  The Gators were National Champs in '96.

Spurrier left Florida following the 2001 season. He received a five-year, $25 million contract with the Redskins.

Ron Zook was a DB at Miami (O.), "The Cradle of Coaches". Zook became an assistant for Spurrier in '91 leaving Ohio State and Zook replaced him as Head Coach beginning with the '02 season. Zook's hiring generated a lot of energy among the fan base, not all positive. Three five-loss seasons ended Zook's career at UF.

Zook did not win a home game over a ranked foe and was criticized for puckering up at home. He coached consecutive road wins over LSU, Arkansas, and UGa in '03.

Ron Zook's SEC record was 16-8.  He coached at Illinois until last season.

Batesville-native Charlie Strong coached Florida's Peach Bowl loss after Zook's last season.

Florida hired Utah head coach Urban Meyer who complimented Zook on the players he had left behind. Meyer's Utah team went undefeated winning the Fiesta Bowl over Pitt.

Urban Meyer had a 36-12 SEC record in six seasons at UF. His teams won the BCS-NC in '06 and '08 as well as the SEC-CG both seasons.  Controversy surrounded Meyer's season ends in '09 and '10 regarding whether he would return. Meyer left UF after an 8-5 '10 season to spend more time with family. He was named Ohio State's coach for the '12 season, one year after Tressel's dismissal. Meyer is the fastest coach to 100 wins since Bud Wilkinson.

In 2008, Tejas hired Will Muschamp away from Auburn to be DC. Following the '08 season, Muschamp was named coach-in-waiting to eventually succeed Mack Brown. He could not wait long enough.

Florida hired Muschamp and he completed his first season in '11. His SEC record in '11 was 3-5 and UF finished 7-6 overall after winning the Gator Bowl. 2012 was a top ten season capped with an appearance in a BCS Bowl, a Sugar Bowl loss. In 2013, UF fell to 4-8 with an FCS loss to Georgia Southern. Muschamp started 2014 on the hot seat and despite a surprise win over Georgia in Jacksonville, a loss to South Carolina including two fourth quarter blocked kicks, led to AD Jeremy Foley announcing he would not coach beyond the end of the regular season. Muschamp's SEC record was 17-15 over four seasons. Failing to get the offense on track despite their wealth of talent proved to be his undoing though he was credited with helping to improve the academic and disciplinary environment.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Network @SECNetwork  ·  12 hours ago

#TBT Nov. 20, 2004 | Ron Zook's final game with the #Gators ends with a 20-13 upset win over #10 FSU in Tallahassee!

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

George Diaz @georgediaz  ·  2 hours ago
Muschamp: "I'll hold my head up high walking out of here. We didn't win enough games. I was asked to clean up the program. I did that.

Will Muschamp: "I got to do my TV show tomorrow. That will be a blast"

After Florida gave Florida State a scare in Muschamp's last game.

jbcarol

Scott Rabalais @RabalaisAdv  ·  1 hour ago

Rough month for ex-#LSU DCs as Will Muschamp, Bo Pelini fired from their high-profile gigs. LSU fans don't want them back in SEC, of course.

jbcarol

Former Vandy head coach and Mack Brown's brother:

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
Watson Brown on demise of UAB football: 'It's like losing a family member to me' | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/Fg6PB

QuoteWatson Brown has been down this road before, and come back up from it, and that's part of what makes Tuesday's announcement that UAB is shutting down its football program so personal for him.

"I've been crying for three days," Brown said Tuesday. "It's a sad day."

Brown, now the head coach at Tennessee Tech, was UAB's coach back in 2002, when the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees charged the Blazers with reducing a $7.6 million athletic department budget deficit within three years or its football program would be dismantled then. Brown, who had transitioned the Blazers' football program to Division I-A status in 1996, added the athletic director's title to his duties around that time and found the burden for saving the program squarely upon his own shoulders.

"We had to go raise a lot of money," Brown recalled. "We had to play a lot of what I call 'bye games' - Monday games. And we had to cut budgets within all the sports. I'll never forget my first meeting with all of the coaches - baseball, basketball, all the coaches, soccer. I told them all, 'Guys, we're going to have to cut some things to save football. If you don't want to do that, I understand. I'll help you go somewhere else if you need to.' I think it was the track coach who popped up and said, 'Coach, where do I sign up?' And everybody was positive and we just went after it. It was I think four years later, we got the resolution off of us. So we fought that once before while I was there.

"I don't think there was this issue when I left, or I didn't feel that. This is a little bit of a surprise to me that it's popped back up again. ... To get the absolute that it's gone, it's just killed me."

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  1 hour ago
Freeze: "Ross (Bjork) came to me a month ago, when we were 7-0, maybe... And said we're ready to get started on working on something for you"

Freeze: "I was pretty much blown away when (Bjork) came to me with this contract. It's humbling. I'm honored. Im just glad it happened fast"

jbcarol

Dustin Dopirak @TennesseeBeat  ·  Dec 2

[Tennessee AD Dave] Hart told Volquest he's working on an extension for Jones, that there will be an increase in salary for assistants...

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo  ·  17 minutes ago

Jim McElwain hired as Florida football head coach. McElwain was 22-16 in 3 seasons as Colorado State head coach.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  55 minutes ago

New Gators coach Jim McElwain out to fix Florida football program he demolished, @bianchiwrites says: http://bit.ly/1Bhbt2m

QuoteJim McElwain, who was hired as the new coach of the Gators on Thursday, was a key member of the dynamite and demolition crew that caused the downfall of Florida's football powerhouse. Now, ironically, he has been put in charge of repairing what he once wrecked.

McElwain, who was hired as the new coach of the Gators on Thursday, was the offense coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama in 2009 when the Crimson Tide crushed Urban Meyer, Tim Tebow and the undefeated Gators 32-13 in the SEC Championship Game. McElwain's Alabama offense rolled up 490 yards that day and stampeded a UF defense that was ranked No. 4 in the nation.

Tebow -- in his final collegiate season -- cried after the game.

And Meyer quit...

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  8 hours ago
UF announcing terms of Jim McElwain's compensation package will average $3.5 million annually over six years.

jbcarol

ESPN's Chris Low: Jim McElwain's history

QuoteMcElwain's more of a spread guy at heart, but at Alabama he oversaw pro-style offenses that were always physical, balanced and disciplined, a requirement for any offensive coordinator of Nick Saban's.

Not that it's a revelation, but calling plays on offense for Saban isn't the easiest job on the planet. There's a reason Lane Kiffin is Saban's fourth offensive coordinator. But McElwain prospered at Alabama, and his last offense there, in 2011, was the only one in the SEC that season to average more than 200 rushing yards and 200 passing yards per game.

Also keep in mind that both of the national championship seasons with McElwain running the offense at Alabama came with first-year starters at quarterback -- Greg McElroy in 2009 and AJ McCarron in 2011. The game plan McElwain employed in the BCS National Championship to cap the 2011 season called for McCarron to come out throwing against LSU's smothering defense, and Alabama went on to win 21-0, with McCarron passing for 234 yards and keeping the Tigers off balance for much of the night.

In his three seasons at Colorado State, McElwain went back to his spread roots and revolutionized an offense that had been stagnant before he arrived, further proving his versatility as a coach and playcaller.

The Rams were held under 20 points in 20 of their 36 games in the three seasons prior to McElwain's arrival in 2012. This season, they scored more than 30 points in eight of their 12 games and averaged 35.9 points per game. The Rams rank 13th nationally in total offense (497.8 yards per game) and are third in yards per play (7.21).

Quarterback Garrett Grayson is second nationally in passing efficiency and has thrown 32 touchdown passes and only six interceptions. Colorado State's top receiver, Rashard Higgins, leads the country in yards per game (149.1) and receiving touchdowns (17).

Especially telling was how quickly McElwain turned things around in Fort Collins. The Rams had won a total of nine games in the three seasons before his hiring in 2012. They've won 16 of their past 20 heading into the bowl game.

The bottom line: Players believe in him and his system, and a big part of that is his blue-collar pedigree.

McElwain is not one of those guys who has had a football silver spoon in his mouth his whole career. He played quarterback at Eastern Washington and spent 10 years at his alma mater as quarterbacks/receivers coach from 1985 to 1994. He spent the next five years at Montana State as offensive coordinator/receivers/special-teams coach. There were also stints at Fresno State, Louisville and Michigan State and a season in the NFL as the Oakland Raiders' quarterbacks coach in 2006.

At every stop, there was a common theme.

"He's one of the most relatable coaches I've ever been around," McElroy said. "His ability to feature players in game plans and getting players to buy in are a few of his greatest strengths. He's a diligent worker and is fiercely competitive.

"Florida Gator fans should rejoice."

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  14 hours ago

Scott Stricklin optimistic that an extension for Dan Mullen will be 'wrapped up pretty soon.' http://on.thec-l.com/1CWL0Jl

Mullen said no recruit asked him about his future at Mississippi State. Said he's build chemistry and recruits have faith.

Scott Stricklin says he and Dan Mullen have had some positive talks so far. Said they are 5 for 5 in extending him.

Stricklin: "We want to make sure we reward Dan for what he's done.. also continue to invest going forward not only in him but his staff."

Stricklin on people placing Mullen's name at other jobs: "Those are the same people that told me he was on the hot seat last year."

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  16 minutes ago

If you're making less than $3.5 million now in the SEC, you're slumming. By my count, nine of the 14 head coaches make $3.5 million or more.

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  19 minutes ago

Tennessee's Butch Jones gets a two-year extension through 2020 and his salary is bumped from $3 million to $3.6 million per year.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  1 hour ago

Butch Jones on extension: "It's just closure to a lot of things. Now we're able to focus on the things we need to focus on."

Jones on TaxSlayer: Dave Hart walked into my office with a big smile. Dave deserves applause and great appreciation for making this happen.

Butch Jones: 14 points on our side of the division was the difference this year

Dave Hart: You reward people for a job well done, not because "someone is coming to get them."

Butch Jones gets a 2-year extension at $3.6 million per year, per Dave Hart.

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  Dec 8
I remember when Spurrier became SEC's first $1 million coach in mid 1990s. Now, we're on cusp of 13 of the 14 making more than $3 million.

jbcarol

Greg Auman @gregauman  ·  2 hours ago
Former Kentucky coach and Gators assistant Joker Phillips is up for the head coaching job at Florida A&M. Story:
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/2014/12/10/search-committee-decides-top-famu-head-coaching-job/20220617/ ...

jbcarol

D.J. Durkin is now the fourth official interim coach in the history of Florida football. Here is how the other three fared as interims:

Quote1984: Galen Hall.

Record: 7-0...

1989: Gary Darnell.

Record: 3-4...

2004: Charlie Strong.

Record: 0-1.

Strong coached Florida in the 2004 Chick-fil-A Bowl where the Gators were trounced by 14th-ranked Miami, 27-10. It was a distracted team as many of the assistant coaches wore Illinois shirts and were less than focused for the weeks leading up to the game.

Why he was the interim: Ron Zook was fired and finished out the regular season. But Zook, who had accepted the head coaching job at Illinois, left Florida hanging about his decision whether or not to coach the bowl game. Jeremy Foley finally made the decision for Zook, naming Strong as the interim for the game...

jbcarol

MrSEC @MrSEC  ·  1 hour ago

Now here's a bit of a surprise. Gary Pinkel, not Dan Mullen, has been named the SEC's Coach of the Year for 2014.... http://fb.me/1rlyKnwt9

As voted by his fellow coaches

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  6 hours ago

Reviewing what's new (and what isn't) in Butch Jones's revised deal with Tennessee + a look at his staff's salaries. http://bit.ly/169SWIH

QuoteKNOXVILLE — As part of its new deal with Butch Jones, the University of Tennessee increased the buyout its second-year football coach would have to pay for leaving.

According to the contract addendum released by the university Wednesday afternoon, Jones would owe $4 million if he terminates his deal before Feb. 29, 2016.

Under his original deal, signed in December 2012, Jones's buyout through that date was $3 million.

Based on the terms of the new deal, Jones would owe Tennessee $3 million for leaving between March 1, 2016, and Feb. 28, 2017, and the buyout is $2 million in the final three years of the contract, which was extended two years through the 2020 season.

The contract addendum also includes a clarified set of incentives for Jones.

He would receive $500,000 for a national championship, $400,000 for appearing in the championship game, $350,000 for appearing in the College Football Playoff's semifinals, $300,000 for an appearance in the CFP selection committee's "New Year's Six" bowl games, $200,000 for a Citrus or Outback Bowl appearance and $100,000 for any bowl game.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  37 minutes ago
More changes possible for Auburn as Will Muschamp joins staff http://s.al.com/AC9taO

QuoteIn the past, Tigers coach Gus Malzahn has built his staff around the input of his coordinators, and Muschamp may want to bring in the assistants who've worked with him at Florida.

Malzahn hasn't ruled out the possibility of more staff changes after the Tigers play in the Outback Bowl against Wisconsin on New Year's Day.

"We're going to hire a defensive coordinator, and then I'll kind of go from there," Malzahn said in an Outback Bowl teleconference on Sunday.

Florida defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, a former Tiger who played at Auburn from 1999-2002, is a possibility to join Muschamp in his return to the Plains, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

If Robinson or other Florida assistants join the staff, Malzahn will have to make corresponding moves to open spots on his staff.

All of Auburn's remaining staff members are signed through at least the 2016 season after signing extensions in the wake of Auburn's SEC title in 2013. Defensive line coach Rodney Garner and co-defensive coordinator/safeties coach Charlie Harbison are both signed through 2017, and cornerbacks coach Melvin Smith is signed through 2016. Both Harbison and Smith were hired in part due to their history with former defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

Malzahn and Muschamp will be able to answer further staffing questions when Muschamp is formally introduced at a press conference at 10:30 a.m. on Monday...

jbcarol

Thomas Goldkamp @ThomasGoldkamp  ·  42 minutes ago
Muschamp gets 50% of buyout money from #Gators in first 30 days after firing, 12.5% on anniversary of firing next four years.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  17 minutes ago
Auburn's Jay Jacobs comfortable handing Gus Malzahn blank check to build coaching staff http://s.al.com/MSW3eBg

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  37 minutes ago
Nick Saban stops by Nicks Kids Luncheon, honors RISE School Director Martha Cook  - Story-> http://ow.ly/FQssx 

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 13, 2014, 01:20:39 pm
Thomas Goldkamp @ThomasGoldkamp  ·  42 minutes ago
Muschamp gets 50% of buyout money from #Gators in first 30 days after firing, 12.5% on anniversary of firing next four years.

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  17 hours ago
Will Muschamp will be highest-paid coordinator in college football, according to source familiar with process. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/12/will_muschamp_reportedly_hired.html ...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 13, 2014, 02:46:04 pm

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  17 hours ago
Will Muschamp will be highest-paid coordinator in college football, according to source familiar with process. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/12/will_muschamp_reportedly_hired.html ...

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  9 minutes ago
If my math is right, UF will pay Will Muschamp $5.9 mill this calendar year: $2.74 salary + $3.15 mill 50% lump buyout (h/t @ThomasGoldkamp)

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  3 hours ago
Your thoughts on Mark Richt being finalist for national coach of year? RT @DoddTrophy http://bit.ly/1DIlOq9

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  19 minutes ago
.@TravHaneyESPN It's like a Deadspin headline: National Coach of Year award named after GaTech coaching legend snubs current GaTech coach

jbcarol

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  · 3 hours ago
Blog: Gary Pinkel is one of 12 finalists for the Bobby Dodd Trophy, given to the nation's top coach- http://bit.ly/136qS73 .

jbcarol

Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP  ·  4 hours ago
Finalists for Dodd coach of the year.

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  3 hours ago
Interesting to hear some of the grumbling among South Carolina fans right now. Is it time for a history lesson?

jbcarol

John Segars @JohnSegars8  ·  8 hours ago
More fertile grass too RT @ClowESPN: Why would Les Miles leave LSU for Michigan? LSU is a better job with a more fertile talent base.

jbcarol

Kevin Scarbinsky @KevinScarbinsky  ·  4 hours ago

Live at 9 with Kevin Scarbinsky: The old Urban Meyer may be back, but Nick Saban never left. Discuss. http://ow.ly/G2WjB

QuoteMike Bianchi knows Urban Meyer. The longtime sports columnist for the Orlando Sentinel doesn't necessarily like Meyer, but he does respect his coaching ability.

Bianchi respects the coaching ability of an apparently tanned, rested and ready Meyer so much, he issued this warning in anticipation of the Jan. 1 semifinal between Ohio State and Alabama:

"Beware, Bama. Be worried. Be very worried. The Urbanator is back."

It's a nice theory, but it fails to take into account one major factor.

The Sabanator never went away.

While Meyer couldn't handle the pressure to keep Florida on top after winning two national titles in three years in 2006 and 2008, Alabama's Nick Saban has written the blueprint on how to get to the top and stay there in the postmodern era.

Did Saban have health problems after losing three games in 2010, including that devastating collapse in the Iron Bowl?

jbcarol

Josh Kendall @JoshatTheState  ·  Dec 13

Nice work. "@DavidSPaschall: Muschamp will make roughly $3.7M in 2015 ($1.7M Aub & $2M Fla buyout), while Richt is set to make $3.3M."

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum        ✔ @finebaum

If Jim Harbaugh ends up making $8 mil at Michigan per @RapSheet, Nick Saban won't be happy making a paltry $7.5 a year.
6:35 PM - 17 Dec 2014

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 16, 2014, 08:35:41 pm
Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  3 hours ago
Interesting to hear some of the grumbling among South Carolina fans right now. Is it time for a history lesson?

Justin Hokanson @JHokanson  ·  18 hours ago
Recruiting takes a hit and Spurrier is back on the "four or five" year plan.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  3 hours ago
Kentucky fans, get to know your new offensive coordinator through the eyes of his old boss, Hal Mumme: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/uk-beat/2014/12/18/hal-mumme-new-oc-a-great-move-for-kentucky/20613457/ ...

Mumme: What Shannon Dawson is doing coming to UK is like what Mike Leach did leaving Lexington: making his own name.

jbcarol

ESPN CollegeFootball @ESPNCFB  ·  23 hours ago
Notable head coaches on 2006 Florida Coaching Staff

jbcarol

Dan Mullen™ @CoachDanMullen  ·  18 hours ago
Merry Christmas from the staff party.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  2 hours ago
Pinkel in his Darth Gold look today.

Final Mizzou practice before team leaves for Orlando...

jbcarol

Forbes @Forbes  ·  6 hours ago
Nick Saban is college football's top power broker: http://onforb.es/1zVI8ZK

Austin Kim @AustinKKim  ·  6 hours ago
#Mizzou's Gary Pinkel ranked No. 5 most powerful college football coach by Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/12/22/the-most-powerful-coaches-in-college-football/ ...

Les Miles (No. 10)

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  2 hours ago
Steve Spurrier: A season of sound bites. http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/12/25/661006/steve-spurrier-a-season-of-sound.html ...

Video of he best of South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier's postgame press conferences from the 2014 regular season.

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  Dec 26
Horrible RT @clarionledger: Belhaven football player killed by drunk driver http://bit.ly/1EqqTUx

QuoteTrey Rich, a Belhaven University football player, had just left his job on his bike when he was struck from behind by a motorist on Christmas Eve.

Richland Police Chief Russel James said Rich had just left work on Wednesday and was riding down 49 when he was struck from behind. It's not yet clear if charges will be pressed against Davis in connection with Rich's death.

"The driver went another 200-300 yards out of control and crashed into another truck," James said.

Rich, 26, a senior wide receiver from Memphis, was pronounced dead on the scene. He leaves behind a team that respected his work ethic and what more than a few people described as his "infectious smile."

Belhaven Head Coach Hal Mumme said Rich's bright smile and positive attitude made him an integral part of the team.

"He was always happy, always willing to do what you ask," Mumme said. "He really endeared himself to his teammates."

Rich was older than most of the other players because he had taken some time to work his way through his schooling.

"He was a hardworking kid in everything he did, school and football and everything else," Mumme said.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  3 hours ago

Lane Kiffin gives us more reasons to believe he could be the Alabama head coach one day. http://ow.ly/GydGK

Coach-in-waiting?

jbcarol

BWW Citrus Bowl @BWWCitrusBowl  ·  10 hours ago
#MCM: 42 years ago today @GaryPinkel played in the 1972 Tangerine Bowl...

jbcarol

Courtney Cronin @CourtneyRCronin  ·  1 hour ago

Nick Saban wins the Bobby Dodd trophy after a 12-1 season. It will be officially announced during tomorrow's Peach Bowl.

jbcarol

Chuck Dunlap @SEC_Chuck  ·  6 hours ago
Asked about coaching salaries across country, Saban mentions that being relative to value brought to a given university

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  1 minute ago
Mark Richt laughed when asked about retirement rumors. Is he coming back? "That's the plan," Richt said.

jbcarol

It's official:

AP Top 25 @AP_Top25  ·  43 minutes ago
Alabama's Saban wins Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year http://apne.ws/1K1NLtO

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  17 minutes ago
Gene Chizik reportedly expected to become North Carolina's defensive coordinator http://ow.ly/GG7Yq

jbcarol

R C Slocum @rcslocum  ·  8 hours ago
Proud of Coach Sumlin and 12th Man for creating an atmosphere that makes A&M attractive for a coach like Chavis. Great hire.