Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kalen DeBoer Era in Tuscaloosa

Started by jbcarol, January 12, 2024, 10:34:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Alabama football's new offensive staff

Latest changes

By Matt Stahl |

QuoteIt's been a tumultuous offseason for Alabama football in general, but the offensive coaching staff has been particularly shaken. When Kalen DeBoer took over for Nick Saban, he initially brought offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb with him, along with offensive line coach Scott Huff.

Then, the NFL came calling. Both Grubb and Huff left for jobs with the Seattle Seahawks, prompting more shakeup in Tuscaloosa. DeBoer got back to work, finishing out his on-field staff for the 2024 campaign, barring further defections.

Nick Sheridan
After coming with DeBoer to serve as Alabama's tight ends coach, Sheridan got a promotion. After the departure of Grubb, the Crimson Tide announced he will be offensive coordinator for the 2024 season, as well as quarterbacks coach.

JaMarcus Shephard
Another coach who came over from Washington, Shephard also picked up a title change after Grubb left. He's now the wide receivers coach for the Tide, as well as assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator.

"I have a passion for coaching and developing our football players both on and off the field," Shephard said in the UA release.

Robert Gillespie
DeBoer hung on to two members of Nick Saban's coaching staff. One was Freddie Roach, who coaches the defensive line, the other is Gillespie, who is in charge of the Crimson Tide's running backs.

"After meeting both of these guys, it was very clear to me that keeping Freddie and G as part of the staff was going to be important to our success," DeBoer said

Chris Kapilovic
With Huff's departure, DeBoer needed to fill the offensive line coach role. He looked to Chris Kapilovic, who joined up after a brief tenure at Baylor.

The school hasn't made the hire official yet. However, Kapilovic updated his social media with his new position

Bryan Ellis
With Sheridan's move up to offensive coordinator, DeBoer moved to fill the tight ends coach job. He found his man at Georgia Southern, where Ellis had been working as the Eagles' offensive coordinator.

Like Kapilovic, the Crimson Tide hasn't announced the hire yet, but Ellis changed his social media bio and handle

Ellis might be familiar to fans around Alabama, having played quarterback at UAB
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

First and 10: There's still 1 big thing college football needs to borrow from the NFL
Matt Hayes |

QuoteKalen DeBoer's track record
If Alabama is going to survive the transition from the greatest coach in college football history to Kalen DeBoer, it's going to be because of DeBoer's track record of developing quarterbacks.

Beyond his work as an NCAA lower divisions star and successful FBS assistant, look at DeBoer's quarterbacks at his 2 previous FBS head coaching jobs at Fresno State and Washington.

Especially against SEC competition.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kalen DeBoer getting on Alabama media's good side

Spring practice changes

Andrew Olson | 

QuoteKalen DeBoer is starting things off on the right foot with the Alabama media.

UA football is getting ready for its first spring session of DeBoer's tenure. The new Crimson Tide head coach announced that media access will operate differently than in years past with Nick Saban. DeBoer is making Alabama assistant coaches available to speak to the media and will give the press some access to the 15 spring practices.

jbcarol

Kalen DeBoer explains why he doesn't curse

by:
Dan Morrison

QuoteHowever, one head coach who does what he can to avoid it is the new Alabama head coach, Kalen DeBoer.

While making an appearance on The Next Round, DeBoer explained:

"To me, there's a fire don't get me wrong," Kalen DeBoer said. "There's a fire and there's a competitiveness that the guys see. I think they see that already in the workouts and they feel that in how we meet in team meetings and the standard that exists, it's still the same standard, it's just messaged a different way I think.

"I just feel like you are who you are. For me, finding ways to positively reinforce. Obviously, there's a piece like you were bringing up, there's a discipline in the moment, or things like that. That still happens," DeBoer said. "But how do you message that and how do you deliver? How do you work together with these guys for the players to understand that, hey, I'm fighting the same fight you are, I want the same things you want? We all want individually and for our team to be great. That just comes through, continuing to be there, to support them, and help get them corrected.

"We talk about our coaches' jobs are to teach, critique, and demand. So, we're teaching, we're being critical of them, and we're demanding excellence and demanding as much close to perfection as we can," DeBoer said. "Their [the players'] jobs are to grind, refine, and compete. So, the guys are grinding, they're refining their skills, and they're competing to be the best they can."

jbcarol

Bama football finalizes Kalen DeBoer's 1st coaching staff

3 hires

By Matt Stahl |

QuoteChris Kapilovic will coach the offensive line, after Scott Huff, who had initially taken the job, followed Ryan Grubb to the NFL's Seattle Seahawks. Christian Robinson will take over outside linebackers, while Bryan Ellis will coach tight ends.

"We were able to also secure three of the finest coaches in the nation to finish out our staff with the hiring of Bryan Ellis, Chris Kapilovic and Christian Robinson," DeBoer said in a press release. ...

jbcarol

Goodman: Will Saban come back for us when DeBoer fails :hmmm: 

QuoteNew Alabama coach Kalen DeBoer left Washington for the Crimson Tide back in January. He's got a strong reputation for being an excellent coach. The Huskies went 14-1 in 2023, losing only to Michigan in the national championship game. There isn't a hotter coach in the country. It's a new era for the Crimson Tide, and while DeBoer is apparently leaning on Saban for advice, Alabama's new coach is smart to do things his own way from the start.

What does that mean for spring practice? We're about to find out. Here's what we know already. Saban's one-voice policy with the media is out. Players, assistant coaches and staffers are free to speak with reporters with Alabama's new coach in charge. That's obviously good news for the beat reporters who cover the team on a daily basis, and I'm happy for them and fans.

More access means a better appreciation for players and coaches. Still, some people are concerned with the drastic changes.

I remember when Ray Perkins took over for Coach Paul Bryant. One of the first things he did was remove the tower. I felt, at the time, it was disrespectful. Now Coach DeBoer is undoing some of Coach Saban's tried-and-tested practices of closed practices and assistant coaches not talking to the media. Not the same thing, I know, but when you are following a very successful person into their position, it would seem prudent to me to examine why they had that in place at all.

I can't think of two more polar opposite coaching personalities than Perkins and DeBoer, so that seems like an advantage for Alabama's new coach from the very beginning. While a good coach, Perkins was known to be a prickly pear and was wound pretty tight.

If after two years or so, things do not work out at Alabama with the new coach as hoped, do you envision a scenario where Nick Saban gets bored, being on ESPN and playing golf, etc., and decides to return to coaching back at the Capstone, or is he gone once and for all?

As a journalist, it's in my nature to never rule anything out. I've seen enough buzz-beaters in my career to know that the game is never over. As for Saban's career as a coach? Let's just say I'm not expecting a 4th and 31-type comeback. The bigger question here is why doubt the current coach from the beginning?

jbcarol

O'Gara: Things Kalen DeBoer might do differently than Nick Saban

QuoteIt's a new era in Tuscaloosa. A very new era.

Kalen DeBoer and Nick Saban run a different ship. That much, we already know. In his 17 seasons on the job, Saban famously never allowed media access to practice or assistants. DeBoer already offered media access to practice and assistants.

What else will DeBoer do that Saban never did :hmmm:

1. Make a single comparison
True story: The first question I ever asked Saban was a comparison question. Don't ask me what it was about because the second he started with "I don't do comparisons," I blacked out and kicked myself for the rest of the day after committing a cardinal Saban sin.

He might not be pulling out comps like Bill Simmons, but I can't imagine that DeBoer will be as anti-comp as Saban was. Nobody is.

2. Win 15 games in a season
People forget that Saban never accomplished that feat.

3. Have a full cycle recruiting class that ranks outside of the top 5
Saban, of course, never had a class rank worse than No. 5. That includes the 2024 class.

4A. Have a scoring defense that ranks outside of the top 30
Think about this: In 17 seasons, Saban's defenses always ranked in the top 30.

4B. Not have a first-team All-SEC defender
That doesn't get talked about enough. Alabama had a first-team All-SEC defender at season's end in every year of the Saban era. How much of that was just because of his reputation?

5A. Take the podium with a Pepsi bottle
Nah. Just kidding.

jbcarol

How Alabama players are adjusting to practice, other changes

By Matt Stahl |

QuoteThe change to Alabama football practice was obvious the moment media members walked through the door for the first observation at Mal Moore:

As players ran through drills, a cluster of speakers on the concrete near the field blasted out British DJ Endor's remix of Danzel's "Pump It Up!"

That's a big change under new Crimson Tide head coach Kalen DeBoer. Under Nick Saban, who retired in January, players were listening to either piped-in crowd noise, or the ambient sounds of Tuscaloosa.

"A lot of people liked when he mentioned about playing music during practice," running back Jam Miller said. "It's a good thing."

The playlist ranged from early 2000s hip-hop, to more recent rap from the likes of Drake and Kodak Black, to Morgan Wallen's manufactured pop country. Miller said he wasn't given input into the soundtrack, noting that it fades into the background as practice goes on.

Alabama wideout Kendrick Law said having music playing helped keep focus on the practice:

"I think the music, it kind of takes you mind away from when you do mess up," Law said. "It's kind of like, 'OK, next play, let's go.'"

The music isn't the only thing new under DeBoer. Players have to figure out the logistics of practice in a way they never had to under Saban.

There's new drills, and new locations for them. Alabama is also down a practice field, with one of them currently under construction, separated from the rest of the facility by a green fence.

Players said the new practices have been high-energy. Defensive coordinator Kane Wommack has been incorporating his "accountability circles" for his unit, tracking "loafs" and having players watch their teammates do up-downs to keep them moving fast.

Milroe said the new staff has been packing more into each practice session.

"There's more periods that go on," Milroe said.

jbcarol

Breaking down how Kalen DeBoer's offensive lines

Will differ from Saban's

by:
Barkley Truax

QuoteAlabama is getting a complete makeover under new head coach Kalen DeBoer. He's know for his high-flying, fast-paced tempo that was showcased at Washington in recent years — that philosophy has made its way to Tuscaloosa.

BamaOnLine publisher Tim Watts has noticed some clear differences between DeBoer's philosophy and that of longtime head coach Nick Saban.

"With Kalen DeBoer, it's more about his scheme with his offense. A lot of quick passes, a lot of quick hits, guys pulling and moving," Watts explained. "The one thing about [offensive line] Coach [Chris Kapilovic] that, when I was talking to people that knew him, they kept talking about vertical blocking which is basically just get in front of your man and push him back. You're gonna have to be athletic, have good feet and have quickness to get out there and move that around."

Kapilovic has already named returning OL Tyler Booker the alpha of the group

jbcarol

DeBoer finally addresses comments by Nick Saban regarding recruiting, NIL

by:
Andrew Graham

Quote"I think the times have changed and you have to adjust, adapt," DeBoer said. "I think I've been able to do a good job with that. I think our staff will have the type of personalities and type of want to to just continue to keep the main thing the main thing, and that's coach these guys up. Understanding, also, that NIL is a part of it. The portal is a part of it. So, one day at a time. I think we've just gotta keep working, keep doing what we do, and kind of find the hearts and minds of these guys.

"I think it's one of those things where we all got into coaching for different reasons, right?" DeBoer said. "And we love the game, we love impacting the lives of these guys that we get a chance to coach and it's fun seeing them 10, 15, 20 years from now and where they've gone to and the families that they've raised. But, if you just try to really hone in on that and the moment we're in, I think that's the key. Not get overwhelmed by the things you can't control.

"I think that's really good and that's something I'm excited to see the ways and things that could happen over the next year or two with people like coach Saban helping lead the charge. I think the key is to have a sustainable model that allows the student athletes to get NIL or some version of that or whatever it may be. Definitely am in favor of that. I think there is an opportunity that they should be able to take advantage of," DeBoer said. "But also a model that is, like I said, sustainable. Things that we can do within the athletic program, department to where it isn't just — at Alabama we'll continue to find ways to move forward, but there's a lot of programs that don't have the same backing, the same resources and just for the game itself, I'd love to see us continue to work together to try and figure out what's best moving forward in years to come."

jbcarol

Kalen DeBoer finally addresses the Elephant that won't leave the room

The challenge of replacing Saban

by:
Matt Connolly

QuoteKalen DeBoer was well aware that it would not be easy to replace Nick Saban when he accepted the head coaching job at Alabama.

However, DeBoer is confident in his ability as a coach and believes he has what it takes

DeBoer recently joined Stewart Mandel and Bruce Feldman:

"There's a lot of thoughts that go through my mind. ... I think a lot of it is you just have to enjoy what you're doing and the people you're with. Then that leads to the perspective," Kalen DeBoer said. "I guess what I would say is when every day you enjoy going to work. And the people you're with, you trust and believe in them, it allows you to not have to put on this face. You're still the leader of the crew and you provide the guidance and organization and helping the program really uphold the standard that you have set."

jbcarol