Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we lose to Ole Miss tonight do we need to start looking for a new coach

Started by hogfan064, February 15, 2006, 07:35:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Let's be honest a loss to Ole Miss tonight will eliminate us from NCAA consideration.  Our RPI would drop dramatically and even if we won out(which we wouldn't do) we would have only 2 road wins all year. 

I'm just asking the question, but I'll promise you this.  If we do lose there will be lots of fire Heath threads tomorrow.  BWA will have lots of fans dressed up like red seats on Saturday.

PiggoBitttys

Ditto LA Hawg. We will win this game, but if Heath manages to lose it, then yes, that should remove any question of it.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: usarmyhogfan on February 15, 2006, 07:38:04 am
Ole Sis has lost 7 in a row to include 3 home games...if we lose...HEATH MUST BE KICKED IN THE SACK ON NATIONAL TV!
Absolutely!

nwarazfan

Is it 1987 again?

It sure sounds like it if you read the boards and listen to the call in shows. "I don't like the style even if we win..." "I don't understand what they are trying to do..." "He can't coach, he just rolls the basketballs out..." "We need to change coaches now..." "I don't care we have this SG coming in from the Memphis area, time for a change right now..." "I don't care that we may have the answer at PG coming next year, our coach can't coach..." "He only has his job still because he is black..." our fan base says/said oblivious to the fact that the program is showing signs of being on the edge of returning to cb prominence over the next few seasons.

I think this may be karma and there truly is a Nolan curse and its on our fan base who never deserved the thrills and championships Nolan gave them because of the spoiled and cruel impatience they showed him. Karma in a cruel way gave us a taste of the top so that we know what it feels like only to take it away. Now its punishing us again these last two years with all of these close losses. We truly don't deserve to win.

Last night a caller was asked by S Cain if he would be happy or at least satisfied if we finished the conf 10-6 and 21-8 overall(he didn't say we would) and the caller said "no" because of the style we play. He and his brother had been talking and its just not exciting enough basketball. Unbelievable how badly spoiled our fan base is. But it should be expected considering how the previous generation treated Nolan in his early years of rebuilding. History does repeat itself.

claycohog

We already have "feelers" out in anticipation of a Feb. melt down.  I'm not saying that the ball is rolling, but it is in a bowlers hand. ;)

urhogdaddi

Ole Sis has lost 7 in a row to include 3 home games...if we lose...HEATH MUST BE KICKED IN THE SACK ON NATIONAL TV!

nice
Hogs,....Nutt,......Heath,......Polish Sausage

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 09:17:32 am
Is it 1987 again?

It sure sounds like it if you read the boards and listen to the call in shows. "I don't like the style even if we win..." "I don't understand what they are trying to do..." "He can't coach, he just rolls the basketballs out..." "We need to change coaches now..." "I don't care we have this SG coming in from the Memphis area, time for a change right now..." "I don't care that we may have the answer at PG coming next year, our coach can't coach..." "He only has his job still because he is black..." our fan base says/said oblivious to the fact that the program is showing signs of being on the edge of returning to cb prominence over the next few seasons.

I think this may be karma and there truly is a Nolan curse and its on our fan base who never deserved the thrills and championships Nolan gave them because of the spoiled and cruel impatience they showed him. Karma in a cruel way gave us a taste of the top so that we know what it feels like only to take it away. Now its punishing us again these last two years with all of these close losses. We truly don't deserve to win.

Last night a caller was asked by S Cain if he would be happy or at least satisfied if we finished the conf 10-6 and 21-8 overall(he didn't say we would) and the caller said "no" because of the style we play. He and his brother had been talking and its just not exciting enough basketball. Unbelievable how badly spoiled our fan base is. But it should be expected considering how the previous generation treated Nolan in his early years of rebuilding. History does repeat itself.

While I'm not even going to touch all of the "Nolan Karma/Curse" stuff...the thing that has been nagging at me is the comments about the style of play and not scoring enough. Granted, at times we look totally lost on the floor (whether its' the stupidity of the players or the coach is up for discussion) but as far as point totals, I've been trying to look at scores of other teams around the country and it seems that the majority of games are in the range of somewhere of high 60s to low 80s. The days of the run and gun 90 to 110 point games seems to have come and gone (while those were my personal favorite type of games). Now while the way other teams get to the 70s or 80s may be more exciting...we're still putting those point totals up as well.

RebelliousHog

Say what ya want. You say "WE" like "WE" have a voice in the question. That aside, the pass given HDN will negate anything being done to SH. Not saying it is right or wrong, just stating my opinion. HDN has done things to right the ship. Hopefully they will show fruitation this fall. Not sure of the problem with SH. Seems to recruit OK. Is getting players. Players, however, show little progress or desire to play a full 40 minutes.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

nwarazfan

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on February 15, 2006, 09:30:00 am
Is it 1987 again?

While I'm not even going to touch all of the "Nolan Karma/Curse" stuff...the thing that has been nagging at me is the comments about the style of play and not scoring enough. Granted, at times we look totally lost on the floor (whether its' the stupidity of the players or the coach is up for discussion) but as far as point totals, I've been trying to look at scores of other teams around the country and it seems that the majority of games are in the range of somewhere of high 60s to low 80s. The days of the run and gun 90 to 110 point games seems to have come and gone (while those were my personal favorite type of games). Now while the way other teams get to the 70s or 80s may be more exciting...we're still putting those point totals up as well.

CB has changed.  Pitino adapted.  BD adapted.  MA adapted.  We are in the top 5 in the conf in scoring at around 73 per game.  UAB avg about 75 per game with their style. 

hogfan064

I don't care about the style of play and I don't think most fans do.  What we want is a winner.  Arkansas is not a winner right now.  We're average at best.

RAZORBART

unfortunately it appears that Stan will be back next year no matter what happens the rest of this year.

12under

if heath must be kicked in the sack, then you must line up every player and boot them all too.

nwarazfan

Is it 1987 again?

OK - Why the hell was this post moved?  Was it so a moderator with an opposing view could hide it?  Heath must be fired.  Coaching change.  Every other post on the board is about firing Heath yet mine is moved and hidden. 

chillinhoggie

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 09:35:37 am
Is it 1987 again?

CB has changed.  Pitino adapted.  BD adapted.  MA adapted.  We are in the top 5 in the conf in scoring at around 73 per game.  UAB avg about 75 per game with their style. 
What?   Sorry you lost me.... CB? MA? BD?

nwarazfan

Quote from: chillinhoggie on February 15, 2006, 10:09:11 am

Is it 1987 again?

What?
What what?  You don't understand the changes in the game over the last 10 years or so?

HighOnHogs

The only Nolan curse Arkansas has is the curse that we had that racist here at all.  He has hurt the future of UA Basketball big time.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HighOnHogs on February 15, 2006, 10:14:02 am
The only Nolan curse Arkansas has is the curse that we had that racist here at all.  He has hurt the future of UA Basketball big time.

But the racist we still have up there hasn't hurt the future of UA basketball?  Remember, Nolan would have had no reason to act the way he did, if he wasn't treated the way he was. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

pfrg999

That is funny...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

nwarazfan

Quote from: dubyacee on February 15, 2006, 10:18:23 am

But the racist we still have up there hasn't hurt the future of UA basketball?  Remember, Nolan would have had no reason to act the way he did, if he wasn't treated the way he was. 

Posts like HoH's still amaze me for some reason.  Its like he doesn't know, remember or (most likely) doesn't care what happened when Nolan first got here and doesn't want to admit the effect it had on the end.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 10:10:23 am

Is it 1987 again?

What?
What what?  You don't understand the changes in the game over the last 10 years or so?
Sorry part of my message I guess didn't make it.... What does CB MA, and  BD stand for?

pfrg999

Blah Blah Blah..... Racist this... No proof he said -  he said... Leave the "Racist" card at the Door... Then why is Nolan Not coaching.... Maybe he believed his own BS... and that is the death nail for anyone.... He thought he was the U of A...Hell even said that... He is not bigger than the U of A... and JFB was the person who Hired Him.... So was he racist then and racist when he left Poor Nolan go and is still paying him 500K per year ???  Hell treat me like crap and pay me 500K.... all of this is crap... He BAD MOUTHED THE UNIVERSITY.. .. If you do that about your job and your company to the papers.... How long before you are fired... That not racist ..that is stupidity... believed his own hype...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 10:22:01 am

Posts like HoH's still amaze me for some reason.  Its like he doesn't know, remember or (most likely) doesn't care what happened when Nolan first got here and doesn't want to admit the effect it had on the end.

but, I would bet, that during the hay-day's of the 90's, he was proud to have Nolan here. 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 15, 2006, 10:24:47 am

Blah Blah Blah..... Racist this... No proof he said -  he said... Leave the "Racist" card at the Door... Then why is Nolan Not coaching.... Maybe he believed his own BS... and that is the death nail for anyone.... He thought he was the U of A...Hell even said that... He is not bigger than the U of A... and JFB was the person who Hired Him.... So was he racist then and racist when he left Poor Nolan go and is still paying him 500K per year ???  Hell treat me like crap and pay me 500K.... all of this is crap... He BAD MOUTHED THE UNIVERSITY.. .. If you do that about your job and your company to the papers.... How long before you are fired... That not racist ..that is stupidity... believed his own hype...

You make it out like JFB made a decision to pay him that 500k per.  It was in his contract, JFB wasn't just being a nice guy.  These points have been argued on here to no avail.  JFB admitted during the trial that he used racial slurs while Nolan was here.  Even Rick "O.G. sunshine pumper" said that Nolan's quote was taken out of context and just that one little snippet was played over and over again on the National news stations and they were forced to take action.  And I'm sure if you got fired and took a 50% paycut, you'd be pissed also. 

nwarazfan

Is it 1987 again?

What?   Sorry you lost me.... CB? MA? BD?
Sorry - college basketball, Billy Donavan, Mike Anderson

pfrg999

Quote from: dubyacee on February 15, 2006, 10:31:43 am

You make it out like JFB made a decision to pay him that 500k per.  It was in his contract, JFB wasn't just being a nice guy.  These points have been argued on here to no avail.  JFB admitted during the trial that he used racial slurs while Nolan was here.  Even Rick "O.G. sunshine pumper" said that Nolan's quote was taken out of context and just that one little snippet was played over and over again on the National news stations and they were forced to take action.  And I'm sure if you got fired and took a 50% paycut, you'd be pissed also. 

Been there and done that... except I never said that they could have my Job .... I heard the Comment... So then if JFB is this flaming Racist why did Nolan Lose (he had no case)... and why isn't he working ??? I was a no 1 Nolan Fan... until he stopped trying... and then when he made his comment... I was ready for a change.... 

chillinhoggie

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 10:44:06 am
Is it 1987 again?

What?   Sorry you lost me.... CB? MA? BD?
Sorry - college basketball, Billy Donavan, Mike Anderson
"I'm not a smart man, Jenny" Forest Gump
That makes much more sense now. You're right, too.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 15, 2006, 10:48:31 am

Been there and done that... except I never said that they could have my Job .... I heard the Comment... So then if JFB is this flaming Racist why did Nolan Lose (he had no case)... and why isn't he working ??? I was a no 1 Nolan Fan... until he stopped trying... and then when he made his comment... I was ready for a change.... 

He isn't working because of the lawsuit, and, yes, that is his own fault.  I don't think he stopped trying, I think he had hit one of those bad stretches.  I have a theory just like my old boss did about producing. 
He had a salesman that routinely made him $1 mill a year.  He said with him performing like that, that salesman could have come in and taken a dump on his $5k glass desk and he wouldn't fire him.  I just think that winning solves all ills, and even though the wins had decreased, I still think that if Nolan was still there, we would have gotten back to winning again. 

PennHOG

I'm not a basketball expert so explain to me how college basketball has changed.  Also, explain to me how Pitino has adapted to anything.  I think he's still reeling from his failure in Boston.  Donovan is pretty young so did CB change recently?  Put Mike Anderson as a head coach at a real division I school and I'll agree with you on him.  I just don't see have you can refer to these coaches as progressive and able to adapt to your alleged recent changes to the college basketball game.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

nwarazfan

Quote from: PennHOG on February 15, 2006, 11:13:49 am

I'm not a basketball expert so explain to me how college basketball has changed.  Also, explain to me how Pitino has adapted to anything.  I think he's still reeling from his failure in Boston.  Donovan is pretty young so did CB change recently?  Put Mike Anderson as a head coach at a real division I school and I'll agree with you on him.  I just don't see have you can refer to these coaches as progressive and able to adapt to your alleged recent changes to the college basketball game.

Hand check rules and enforcement made the style of defense played in the 90s especially early 90s very difficult to play especially on the road.  Extra timeouts were added with the 30 sec timeouts which hinders the strategy of wearing the other team out unless you are in a tourney setting where teams get very little rest.  Those are two of the big changes besides opposing teams especially in conf devising ways to attack and force their style of play contrary to the up tempo into the games.  CB has changed alot in 10 years. 

Pitino is reeling?  Didn't they just go to the Final 4?  And Donovan has been at UF for a number of years now.  He played at PC in 87 which makes him about 41-42 right now.

cardinalhawg

If Stan and the Hogs do lose tonight against Ole Miss, then Heath will definitely be more behind the 8-ball than he already is.  The Hogs then would be running out of chances to push for the NCAA tourney bid, outside of doing well at the SEC Tournament.  The Hogs just cannot afford to be beaten by a lesser team at this point, and Ole Miss and Georgia on the road will be tough wins to get. 

I think it would take more than a loss tonight to get the ball rolling, but unexpected losses at home, and losing the rest of the road games could.

PiggoBitttys

Is it 1987 again?

Yes, our fan base should love watching Stan and the Hogs win 3 out of 29 SEC road games. Poop on me for expecting more than a .103 winning percentage in road conference games.

Yes, we watched good basketball previously. And we watched it for many years. So sorry if we're "spoiled", I guess we should be expecting NIT invites every year, hopefully .500 in conference(man, wouldn't that be sweet!), and a SEC road win ONCE a year. Who cares if we probably have the second best arena in the conference, a bigger fan base than the vast majority of college basketball, oh and all that tradition that spoiled us.

Yeah, what were we thinking with these expectations???

pfrg999

Quote from: dubyacee on February 15, 2006, 11:06:37 am

He isn't working because of the lawsuit, and, yes, that is his own fault.  I don't think he stopped trying, I think he had hit one of those bad stretches.  I have a theory just like my old boss did about producing. 
He had a salesman that routinely made him $1 mill a year.  He said with him performing like that, that salesman could have come in and taken a dump on his $5k glass desk and he wouldn't fire him.  I just think that winning solves all ills, and even though the wins had decreased, I still think that if Nolan was still there, we would have gotten back to winning again. 

I will agree completely on that.... and If we would have been 28-3 ranked #4 and headed into the Dance strong He would have NEVER been "Released" from his contract ....

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 15, 2006, 11:38:50 am
Quote from: dubyacee on February 15, 2006, 11:06:37 am

I will agree completely on that.... and If we would have been 28-3 ranked #4 and headed into the Dance strong He would have NEVER been "Released" from his contract ....

Soooo true.  Hell, if we had been 21-7 ranked in the top 20 he wouldn't have been.  Karma for having a civil discussion about Nolan.  First one I've ever had on here. 

litmachog

The answer to the question is no not yet.  What if Arkansas gets beat by Ole Miss and the players come back and have a players only meeting and they start playing like a team and win the rest of the games this season going into the tourney and make it to the big dance.  What I'm saying is that we still have to wait until it is all said and done.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: litmachog on February 15, 2006, 11:44:08 am
The answer to the question is no not yet.  What if Arkansas gets beat by Ole Miss and the players come back and have a players only meeting and they start playing like a team and win the rest of the games this season going into the tourney and make it to the big dance.  What I'm saying is that we still have to wait until it is all said and done.

If they haven't already had a players only meeting to decide to start playing like a team, then why start now.  If that was going to happen, it should have happened after LSU, or Bama, or KY.  It is too late now.  they have to suck it up and win. period. 

VoR

When you play almost all cupcakes in your non-conf schedule, people tend to base your success off your conference schedule, and rightly so, and if this would be a normal year in the SEC, I think most folks would be okay with an 8-8 record, but this is not a normal year, that added to the fact of choking on games where we have had (what most would consider) insurmountable leads only adds fuel to the fire. The general consensus before the beginning of the year was this was an NCAA-T team and that if they failed to meet that goal then this would be Heath's last year and there was no reason for this not to happen, health has been good all season, there is nothing happening that you can say that has caused this team not to succeed except that it has not played with heart and emotion, and at many times a team that was focused. While how a player plays is not directly attributable to a coach, their heart, emotion, and focus is direct results of their teaching, and this is where I have problems with Stan Heath, and I think that is the most underlying reason for most of the dissension amongst my darkside brethren.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

jackel1h

I think that the only way SH gets canned is if the rest of the season goes down hill like the end of last season.
If your not the lead dog........The view never changes.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Munich swine

I'm sure this has all been said before, but the blown leads and not closing out games boils down to coaching.  This is most obvious in our pathetic road record over the past few years.  In a hostile environment, the hogs lack the ability to withstand pressure and to make adjustments to the other teams at crunch time.  This is all coaching, the player talent is obvioulsy there if we are in these games this late.  I have been supportive of Heath through the years, but even my patience is starting to wear.  If we don't get some march madness this year, we all know what needs to be done.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.- Ernest Hemingway

silvertip

Is it 1987 again?

Great post nwarafan. Same shiite-different day.

I have no doubt some of the people calling for Stan's head now were doing it to Richardson his first couple of years.

As far as the whiner & his brother who won't be satisfied until our style amuses them---I say good luck, dummies. There are very few coaches that do it Nolan's way because it hasn't worked for years except in weak conferences like Conf-USA. I am one of many Hog fans who got fed up with Nolan's "40 Minutes of an Unpleasantly Warm Afternoon" style of BB. Never even got a SEC-West title once Corliss left.

hogmary

As far as not liking the style of play, that was one reason so many wanted Ken Hatfield gone...all that boring running.  Who cared that we were winning.  Nutt keeps his job running, and not winning.
How do you know what Heath's style of play is?  The players look like they enjoy running up and down the floor and playing pressure defense.  Most of the time, it's walk it up and down.   That, I do not like.
I also do not like the SEC road record for the past 4 years and the way we have lost the games we've lost.

arthurhawgerelli

Should Houston Nutt have been fired after losing to Vanderbilt at home?  Many would agree that he should have.  Should Stan Heath be fired if he loses to Ole Miss at their house, on a 7 game game losing skid?  Many would agree that he should be.

He won't be.  He will be your coach next year.  In stead of looking for something negative, try and be positive.  Heath is not going to be fired if he loses the rest of the games we have.  Bet your mortgage on it.  Bet your kids' college fund on it.

HighOnHogs

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 10:22:01 amIts like he doesn't know, remember or (most likely) doesn't care what happened when Nolan first got here and doesn't want to admit the effect it had on the end.

Doesn't care would be right.   He was lazy and sucked his last several years here and needed to be fired. Hell, he even asked for it.  He was a great coach who could have ended up one of the greatest in history.  But he shi.t it all away. End of story.

nwarazfan

Quote from: HighOnHogs on February 15, 2006, 12:37:33 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 10:22:01 amIts like he doesn't know, remember or (most likely) doesn't care what happened when Nolan first got here and doesn't want to admit the effect it had on the end.

Doesn't care would be right.   He was lazy and sucked his last several years here and needed to be fired. Hell, he even asked for it.  He was a great coach who could have ended up one of the greatest in history.  But he shi.t it all away. End of story.

Calling him lazy and sucked is different from calling him a racist.  And when you call him that, you also need to look at why he may have certain views based on his life and the way he was treated.  Way to try to take the easy way out.  I agree he should have been let go due to job performance. 

HighOnHogs

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2006, 12:52:48 pmCalling him lazy and sucked is different from calling him a racist.  And when you call him that, you also need to look at why he may have certain views based on his life and the way he was treated.  Way to try to take the easy way out.  I agree he should have been let go due to job performance. 

Easy way out???  Give me a break.  I haven't said one thing that wasn't true.  He is a racist.  I don't give a crap about his views based on his life.  I care about one thing and one thing only when you are the Hog coach and that is  Win,  Win,  Win.  I don't get paid enough money to listen to your sob stories as the head coach.  But, you get paid plenty to win.  So FREAKIN win!

That goes for football too.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 15, 2006, 12:24:06 pm
He won't be.  He will be your coach next year.  In stead of looking for something negative, try and be positive.  Heath is not going to be fired if he loses the rest of the games we have.  Bet your mortgage on it.  Bet your kids' college fund on it.

I do not see how Heath would keep his job if he lost the rest of the games this year.  I do not want that to happen, but still losing the rest of the games would seal the fate.

hogsanity

If they totally collapse, lose 4 or 5 of their last 6, I think he would "resign".

NWARAZFAn got it right.  In 87 people hated the style because we were losing and had gotten to the point where winning "like that" would not even be acceptable.  People have "style" envy.  We have seen it in FB.  They want the TT "style" never mind that they lose every time they play a decent defense.  They want the UAB/Nolan "style" never mind that UAB is in serious doubt of making the NCAAT, and that style scored a whopping 37 against UTEP.

I dont not care how our teams win on the field, the court or the diamond as long as they win.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan160

If the Hogs lose tonight at Ole Miss, will you still go to watch them play Florida on Saturday at Bud Walton?