Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Jamal Payette

A University of Georgia student and former football player was arrested on aggravated sexual assault charges Monday night, according to an Athens-Clarke County media release.

Jamal James Payette, a 22-year-old man from Cleveland, Ga., was arrested hours after a 23-year-old woman reported she had been sexually assaulted by Payette, police said in the release.

Payette is listed as a "member of the scout team" for 2012...

http://www.redandblack.com/cops/former-football-player-arrested-on-sexual-battery-charges/article_59da1f90-8dbd-11e3-a7c0-001a4bcf6878.html

He did not register any stats in 2013.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... J-Load, The Hefty Lefty, The Pillsbury Throwboy

Jared Lorenzen on nicknames: 'I absolutely love them'

Former Giants quarterback -- and Super Bowl champ! -- Jared Lorenzen blew up the Internet Monday night when videos emerged of him playing (and part owner) for the Northern Kentucky River Monsters of the Continental Indoor Football League while weighing in at 320 pounds.

Quote"I love them. I absolutely love them," said the 32 year old. "I was listening to some of your other ones [like] The Abominable Throwman. All of these, I love them. I was given them in college and there were websites dedicated to these things."

What's his preference, though? It used to be "J-Lo" when he hoped that Jennifer Lopez would hear about it and try to meet him. (Yeeeeeeeahhhh....) But he's now embraced "Hefty Lefty" as the top choice.

"I always said it was J. Lo," said Lorenzen. "Because I thought eventually she's going to want to meet me and that didn't pan out. So, I think its Hefty Lefty. I think that's the one everyone is stuck with."

Look at the pictures taken from Lorenzen's game and you can see that he's bigger (way bigger) than his offensive linemen. That's nothing new.

"I'm bigger than all of them," Lorenzen said. "But I was bigger than my lineman in college; I was bigger than some of them in the NFL. When I came out of the womb I was 13 pounds, 3 ounces, from the get go."

Kyle Scott        ✔ @Ky1eSc0tt
Jared Lorenzen and NKY River Monsters warming up for 8 pm kick vs Bluegrass Warhorses.
7:38 PM - 3 Feb 2014

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Isaiah Crowell

Three years ago, Isaiah Crowell was on one the of country's most sought-after prospects.

And after a year at Georgia and two at Alabama State, where he transferred in 2012, he still is.

Crowell is one of 300-plus former college players to receive an invite to the NFL's annual pre-draft scouting combine which begins Feb. 19th in Indianapolis

The former five-star recruit became a National Signing Day media darling when he pulled out a puppy to at a ceremony during which he rendered his John Hancock on a scholarship offer from the Georgia Bulldogs.

The Columbus. Ga. native was named SEC Freshman of the year after rushing for 850 yards and five scores in 2010 while helping the 'Dawgs to a league title game appearance but was dismissed from the team that following offseason after being arrested on a pair of pair of felony gun charges.

The charges were later dropped. 

Trim and focused in 2013, he rushed for 1,126 yards and 15 scores for Alabama State before declaring for the draft.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/former_alabama_state_rb_isaiah.html

jbcarol

...  GG Smith

Son of Tubby Smith who starred at and stayed with UGa is coach of Loyola, Maryland. One of his players is SJ Touhy, son of all-time SEC assists leader Sean Tuohy.

Loyola lost a tremendous basketball coach last season when Jimmy Patsos left. But they may have gained a new one in G.G. Smith, son of famous Tubby Smith.

(video story at link)

jbcarol

... run-n-gun SEC Basketball of the '60s

Exactly 50 years ago this weekend, a crowd of 12,600 jammed Memorial Coliseum to see the visiting Mississippi Rebels face Adolph Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats.

The Kentucky-Ole Miss matchup also boasted the enticing prospect of a showdown between the Southeastern Conference's two leading scorers, UK's Cotton Nash (26.9 points a game) and Mississippi's Don Kessinger [yep, the Cubs' shortstop and Forrest City native] (25.3 ppg).

Yet what the crowd in the Coliseum on Feb. 8, 1964, actually saw was Kentucky produce a mind-boggling statistical feat. In a 102-59 victory over Ole Miss, the Wildcats pulled down 108 rebounds.

QuoteIn the 1963-64 season, the racehorse pace of basketball that was Rupp's calling card was running full throttle. For the full season, Kentucky games averaged 145.7 shots a contest (both teams combined). By way of comparison, the games played by John Calipari's 2013-14 Cats are yielding 115.8 field goal attempts a game.

"It was Coach Rupp's style, he wanted his teams to get it and go," Mobley recalled last week. "A lot of teams would get caught up in our pace just trying to keep up with us."

The Ole Miss (6-9, 3-4 SEC entering the game) of 1963-64 was especially susceptible to getting sucked into Kentucky's frantic, up-and-down style.

"Mississippi, like UK, doesn't have much height. And the Rebels like to run," Larry Boeck wrote in The Courier-Journal's game preview on Feb. 8, 1964.

If you were going to draw up a blueprint for how to produce a game in which a team could get 108 rebounds, a scalding pace with horridly bad shooting would be a prime route.

As it played out, the showdown between SEC leading scorers Nash and Kessinger took an errant turn. Nash had 23 points but hit only nine of 28 shots. That was far better than Kessinger fared, however.

Today, Kessinger is best remembered for his long stint as a major-league baseball shortstop, mostly for the Chicago Cubs. In a 16-year big-league career (1964-79), Kessinger made the All-Star Game six times and twice won the Gold Glove award for his defensive prowess.

Less well recalled is that the 6-1 Kessinger was one of the best basketball players in Mississippi Rebels history. For his varsity career, he averaged 22.2 points a game and was a three-time All-SEC selection.

"Donnie Kessinger was a darned good basketball player," Mobley said.

On this night, Kessinger had a Bluegrass nightmare. He hoisted 19 shots — and made one.

Conley now works as a TV color analyst for both college basketball and baseball telecasts. He says he occasionally runs into Kessinger when he visits Oxford, Miss., to work baseball games.

"I asked him one time about this game," Conley said. "Donnie said, 'Heck, yeah, I remember it. I only hit one shot. How could I forget it?'"

As the contest played out, Kentucky launched a ridiculous 125 shots — that, too, remains the UK school record — but made only 47 (37.6 percent). Mississippi took 84 field goal attempts and hit 24 (28.6 percent).

The Rebels' starting five was even smaller than UK's, going 6-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2, 6-1. As both teams missed shot after shot, Ole Miss proved helpless on the glass. The Rebels were outrebounded 108-40.

In his game story in the Feb. 9, 1964, Lexington Herald, Ed Ashford wrote that "Many times the Kentuckians got off as many as four or five shots (a possession) as the ball seemingly refused to bounce toward the Rebels."

The Courier-Journal's Boeck in his game story referred to UK's total of 108 rebounds as "staggering."

In their first game after grabbing 108 rebounds, the 1963-64 Wildcats recorded a 65-59 victory over Mississippi State two nights later.

The Cats won the battle of the boards 34-27.

There was no shot clock needed. All five UK starters had more than ten rebounds, with four recording a double-double.

jbcarol

... Josh Maravich

After all, how could it be a disadvantage to have Pete Maravich's kid on your bench? Josh was 6-foot-3 and skinny yet aggressive and backed down to no one on the court. In preparation for college in 2003, he wanted a new look, so he changed his hairstyle to a spiky crew cut.

"First day of practice," said Josh, "we're in the video room and he says, 'Son, I don't know you and you don't know me. But that s--- right there ain't gonna fly.' He was talking about my hair."

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67624124/lsu-celtics-legend-pete-maravich-sons-jaeson-and-josh

Great article on Josh and his older brother Jaeson Maravich who lost their father at a young age.  Josh stated that Brady would directly and indirectly berate him in practice, especially when he scored against the starting five. Brady chose not to comment. Dale Brown and Butch Pierre did.

jbcarol

... Tarvaris Jackson

...the recent accomplishments of Tarvaris Jackson and Gwendolyn Boyd spoke volumes about the possibilities in the capitol city and Alabama State University.

Jackson, a Sidney Lanier alum and former Hornets, quarterback is fresh off a Super Bowl victory as a member of the Seattle Seahawks. Boyd will be inaugurated as the ASU's first female president ever in early September.

"It felt great," said Jackson, who served as starter Russell Wilson's backup under center this past season. "It was surreal for a second. The approach to the game was pretty much the same, you know. You're just trying to get ready for the game. After we won it, it didn't really hit  me until a couple days later when we were at the parade. Seeing all the fans, there were so many people out out there. We really did something special."

Jackson was a second team all-SWAC selection back in 2005 before being taken with the 64th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder, who's also had stints with Minnesota and Buffalo, earned $1.25 million this past season but there's still one more thing he'd like to achieve.

"I haven't graduated yet," Jackson said. "I gotta get that done. I want to get it done here."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/super_bowl_champion_quarterbac.html

Boyd replied to Jackson: "And we want to help you make that happen. You just let me know whatever we need to do to make that happen for you. (So) I can put my name on your diploma."

One day, when we were meeting in the gym, David Lee brought "The Three Quarterbacks": Matt Jones, Tarvaris Jackson, and "the other guy" (Sorahan).

Jackson was used sparingly in 2013.

jbcarol

... John Jerry

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL  11h
John Jerry is mentioned 106 times in the Ted Wells report on the Dolphins. Does not come out well. ...http://63bba9dfdf9675bf3f10-68be460ce43dd2a60dd64ca5eca4ae1d.r37.cf1.rackcdn.com/PaulWeissReport.pdf ...

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL  10h
Former Ole Miss player linked to NFL bullying scandal...

jbcarol

... Skip Bertman

Update: Police recover all 21 of Bertman's stolen rings

Skip Bertman is getting his LSU championship rings back, 21 of them.

Police say they have recovered all the rings stolen from Bertman's Ormond Avenue home Saturday morning, Police spokesman Cpl. Don Coppola Jr. said Tuesday morning.

Police did not reveal initially how many rings were taken.

Police arrested three teens Monday accused of sneaking into the home of the former LSU athletic director, including a relative of the Bertman's house cleaner who knew his way around the house, Coppola said.

During the scuffle, Marquez covered his face so Bertman would not recognize him, but Bertman was able to recognize Marquez's "Hispanic descent," Coppola said. Despite Bertman's best efforts to detain them, Marquez and the two juveniles escaped the residence with the rings.

Coppola said no one was injured in the struggle.

During Bertman's 18-year stint as LSU's head baseball coach from 1984 to 2001, the program won five national titles at the College World Series. He also coached the 1996 U.S. Olympic team to a bronze medal finish in Summer Games in Atlanta.

He retired as baseball coach in 2001 and was named the school's athletic director, a position he held until 2008.

http://theadvocate.com/home/8405600-125/story.html

It's hard to get good help.

jbcarol

... Calvin Broaddus

Lee Davis ‏@leewdavis17  20h
Great night! @SnoopDogg loves Mississippi State. :) pic.twitter.com/0YANEYxZJD

jbcarol

... The Unibrow

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio ·13 mins
Anthony Davis has a photo spread in the new GQ magazine, Unibrow and all.  Here are the pictures: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/anthony-davis-is-in-the-new-gq-magazine/ ...

Davis is averaging 20 and 10 for New Orleans with a league-leading 3.1 bpg.

jbcarol

... Jim McConaughey

Former "right end" for Bear Bryant at Kentucky, later transferred to Houston and was drafted in the NFL.

His son has been nominated for an Academy Award for "Dallas Buyers Club"

Credit: ANNE MARIE FOX

jbcarol

... Erik Daniels

Former UK PF Erik Daniels is playing pro ball over in Ukraine for BC Odessa. On Saturday, Daniels tweeted that due to the political problems in the country, BC Odessa decided to send all import players home, leaving Daniels without a team. Earlier today, he posted that he didn't feel safe in the country, and "Wednesday couldn't come fast enough." Fortunately, it looks like Daniels has found a way out of the chaos, and is now on his way back to the States...

Hopefully Daniels arrives home safely to be with his family, including his daughter who just had a brain tumor removed. She seems to be recovering well...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/erik-daniels

jbcarol

... Ryan Harrow

On the morning of July 9, 2012, Mark Harrow drove to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, parked in the employee lot and took the bus to the terminal, just as always.

He thought about the day of work ahead, moving baggage from planes to conveyor belts for Delta. He thought about his son, Ryan, who was in Lexington preparing for his first season as the University of Kentucky's point guard.

Life was simple and life was good. But during that short bus ride, Harrow's left leg suddenly slumped as if it had fallen asleep.

He called his wife, Fern, and she told him to go to the hospital. But Harrow was already at work, and he figured it was just a sleepy leg and there were just so many suitcases that had to be put onto airplanes.

So he took off his shoes, put on his work boots and went outside. Then he sat down. He hardly ever sat down, at least not there.

"And I couldn't get back up," said Harrow, 58. "All that time I didn't know I was having a stroke."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140306/SPORTS03/303060120/Father-s-failing-health-true-Ryan-Harrow-story-Kentucky

Sometimes a guy transfers due to a sick family member and it is legit.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on March 04, 2014, 10:33:26 am
... Erik Daniels

Former UK PF Erik Daniels is playing pro ball over in Ukraine for BC Odessa. On Saturday, Daniels tweeted that due to the political problems in the country, BC Odessa decided to send all import players home, leaving Daniels without a team. Earlier today, he posted that he didn't feel safe in the country, and "Wednesday couldn't come fast enough." Fortunately, it looks like Daniels has found a way out of the chaos, and is now on his way back to the States...

Hopefully Daniels arrives home safely to be with his family, including his daughter who just had a brain tumor removed. She seems to be recovering well...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/erik-daniels

Good luck to him and his daughter!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 20, 2014, 08:38:53 pm
... Calvin Broaddus

Lee Davis ‏@leewdavis17  20h
Great night! @SnoopDogg loves Mississippi State. :) pic.twitter.com/0YANEYxZJD

A few years ago I was at a Hog versus Old Miss game in Oxford and SnoopDog started the "Hotty Toddy" cheer on their big screen.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

... Jodie Meeks

Los Angeles (AP) - Meeks scored 24 of his career-high 42 points in the second half, and the Los Angeles Lakers beat Oklahoma City ...

Meeks had three forty-plus point games in his junior and final season for UK including 50+ to set the UK single game scoring record in Knoxville.  He did his best shooting away from Rupp.

Nike manufactured "Witness" shirts to commemorate the event and Gillispie, who was not a fan, put them in storage. They were not broken out until Calipari's first practice with the team.

jbcarol

... Rex Chapman

Former UK star for Eddie Sutton did a favor for his mom and played in a pickup game with some teen agers when he was 21 and in the NBA. Today one of them is stalking him.

http://irex3.com/2014/03/12/fan-problem

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 19, 2013, 10:20:48 pm

Apparently, Charles Barkley ruffled some feathers.

Imagine that.

The studio analyst said last week, some NCAA tournament announcers on CBS were not thrilled about working with Barkley and others from Turner Sports.

"Some of these guys are (expletive)," he said, per Newsday. "They didn't treat us very well, because they thought we were trying to take their jobs.

"You could just tell there was some tension in the beginning. I'm not trying to take your job. I'm not even sure we want to do this. But Dan Bonner was great to me and said, 'Anytime you want to talk about players or teams.' He was a great resource.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/charles_barkley_on_cbs_broadca.html

It's that time of the year.  Sir Charles chose not to name names.

jbcarol

... Michael Oher

Sean Tuohy Jr. ‏@SJTuohy ·Mar 14
Couldn't be happier for @MichaelOher & the Titans.. Haven't rocked two-tone blue in years. Sad he's leaving me in B-More but AWESOME stuff!!

Blocking for Dexter McCluster again.

Ron Higgins ‏@RonHigg ·Mar 14
@SJTuohy @dextermccluster @MichaelOher The Tuohy travel budget just got considerably lighter. Did Leigh Anne negotiate this deal?

Memphis to Nashville.

jbcarol

... Greg McElroy

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports ·33m
Greg McElroy to join SEC Network as analyst after former Alabama quarterback retires from NFL http://ow.ly/uTyMP

jbcarol

... Julio Jones

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports ·10 hrs
Foley/@AlabamaFTBL star @juliojones_11's recovery is ahead of schedule, but the @Atlanta_Falcons want to be careful. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/falcons_to_be_careful_with_jul.html ...

jbcarol

... Honey Badger

Arizona Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu tore his ACL in his left knee returning a kick.
It was a crushing blow to the team's secondary, forcing the star rookie to miss the final three games in what was otherwise a storybook season.

Since then Mathieu has had surgery and begun the rehabilitation process, and while his story may have added a chapter he was hoping to avoid, it appears he's ready to keep writing.

"He works his tail off and he's really ahead of schedule in his rehab," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told ProFootballTalk...

http://arizonasports.com/40/1718091/Arizona-Cardinals-GM-Tyrann-Mathieus-rehab-is-really-ahead-of-schedule

jbcarol

... Ryan Perrilloux

After opening to a 20-point lead in the first half, the New Orleans VooDoo surrendered five successive touchdowns in the second half and lost 37-26 Saturday at the Smoothie King Center.

Former LSU quarterback Ryan Perrilloux threw four interceptions while two other players lost a fumble each.

Perrilloux, who made the start in place of the injured Kurt Rocco, threw two touchdowns in the first half but had trouble connecting with his receivers in the second. He threw a third touchdown as time expired in the game.

O'Hara said Perriloux need to play a more complete game next time.

"His ability to rush the football was good," he said. "But sometimes his timing was a little off, the ball needs to come out earlier, he needs to see the field better but the game's quick and it's his first start in our game."

O'Hara said Perrilloux is also battling a hand injury and is unsure which one of his quarterbacks will start on Thursday at home against the Orlando Predators.

Perrilloux said that there wasn't anything the defense did to throw him off in the second half. He said the hand injury did not negatively affect his play.

Even though his performance wasn't what he wanted, Perriloux did have support from the crowd. When he stepped to the line during the VooDoo's first offensive series a group of fans chanted "L-S-U" in his support. Perriloux said it was nice to play in his home state again but also said he wants to remain focused on improving with his team.

"It feels good to be in front of family and friends," he said. "But we have to prepare this week for Orlando and get ready to go win a football game."

http://www.nola.com/voodoo/index.ssf/2014/03/turnovers_plague_new_orleans_v_1.html

jbcarol

... Arnett Moultrie

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner ·23 hrs
Former Bulldog Arnett Moultrie suspended five games for violating NBA's drug policy  http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2014/03/31/former-bulldog-arnett-moultrie-suspended-five-games-in-nba/ ...

jbcarol

... Anthony Davis

Grantland: When Anthony Davis came into the league, with ridiculous arms and guard skills honed before a late growth spurt, everyone rushed to find his NBA analogue.

People around the league don't know what to make of him anymore. They are just terrified, especially after having watched Davis average 30 points, 13.5 rebounds, and three blocks per game on 55 percent shooting over a 10-game stretch in March — a period during which he turned 21 freaking years old. He's already fourth overall in Player Efficiency Rating, behind only LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love. His game has so many elements on both ends of the floor, it's going to take years for the Pelicans to figure out the optimal uses and roster construction for him. It's hard to decide what someone is best at when the answer might be "everything."

The race to surround him with the right talent, and to figure out his ideal positional use, is already on. The Pelicans will have only limited cap flexibility in each of the next two summers...

http://grantland.com/features/building-the-brow

Would have been a junior this season.

jbcarol

April 04, 2014, 09:52:56 am #280 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:40:16 am by jbcarol
... Laurence Bowers

Played '13-14 in Israel.

Laurence Bowers ‏@LBowers_21 ·Mar 31
Grabbing dinner with my bros @TerricoWhite5 and @Cwat205 over here in Osrael. #M33MFamilia From the South to Israel. #myGuys

Laurence Bowers ‏@LBowers_21 ·16 hrs
Can't wait to interact with the youth of Columbia this summer. The city was great to me for 5 years!... http://instagram.com/p/mWCeVCFKs8

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops ·22 hrs
Having a great time today at Bowling 4 Autism. pic.twitter.com/nNVqRmn5tu

Mizzou Basketball ‏@MizzouHoops ·22 hrs
@LBowers_21 look who we found! pic.twitter.com/kmJM1PgJTA

jbcarol

... Rondo

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo  5h
Rajon Rondo got his 1st triple-double of the season yesterday. He now has 12 over the last 3 seasons, twice as many as anyone else

Freshman Chris Mills (Emory Freight package) has UK's only triple double to-date.

jbcarol

... Leon Douglas

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports  2h
Updated story on Tuskegee's Leon Douglas receiving Big House Gaines COY award w/quotes http://ow.ly/vA24h

QuoteAfter leading Tuskegee to its finest finish in school history, Golden Tigers coach Leon Douglas is set to pick up some national hardware.

The University of Alabama product and former NBA player, guided Tuskegee to a 21-12 record, a Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference title and its first ever appearance in the Division II Elite Eight this past season.

Today, he was named the winner of the the fourth annual Clarence "Big House" Gaines College Basketball Coach of the Year award. Named after Gaines, who won more than 800 games in a 47-year, hall-of-fame career at Winston-Salem State (N.C.), the award honors the nation's best minority top minority coaches each year.

"That's powerful because not only was he a coach, he was a mentor," Douglas said of Gaines. "As a coach, when you look at the old-school coaches, not this era, not the modern AAU types and all these new coaches, those guys that were trailblazers, they were father figures. That's what I try to emulate. I try to be more than just a coach. I try to be a change agent in a young man's life."

Douglas pointed to NBA great "The Pearl" Monroe who played for Gaines as a model of the type player and person, a coach/mentor can help to produce.

"Earl is doing more than just being involved with basketball," Douglas said. "He's a philanthropist. He's doing a lot of wonderful things in New York. So, you look at a guy like Big House and the type of seeds that he planted in his young men. That's the impact of this thing. To fall in that vain, it's powerful."

"When you're on a journey in life, you want to leave footprints," Douglas said. "That's what I try to get my young men to understand that. Within those four years, they have to do something that will create a legacy so that when they come back they will not be remembered as just a normal person. They will be remembered as someone that did something that changed history."

jbcarol

...  Bobby Denton

Tennessee football PA announcer since the mid-60's died of cancer.

Butch Jones ‏@UTCoachJones ·Apr 9
Without Bobby Denton there would be NO "It's Football Time in Tennessee"! Your voice will be heard forever! #RIPBobby http://ow.ly/i/5bt9i

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra ·Apr 9
"Today's concession prices are found on page 99 of your souvenir program book. We urge you to pay these prices and please pay no more."

Lou Alsobrooks ‏@LouAlsobrooks ·Apr 9
@GoVolsXtra "It's third down and the Tennessee River!" Gets me every time!

jbcarol

... Nerlens Noel

How did Nerlens Noel spend his 20th birthday? Playing bingo with the kids at St. Jude's hospital while the 76ers were in town to play the Grizzlies.

Photo: 76ers equipment manager Scott Rego, @srego76
H/T: http://kentuckysportsradio.com

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 11, 2014, 09:29:29 am
... Nerlens Noel

How did Nerlens Noel spend his 20th birthday? Playing bingo with the kids at St. Jude's hospital while the 76ers were in town to play the Grizzlies.

Photo: 76ers equipment manager Scott Rego, @srego76
H/T: http://kentuckysportsradio.com

Anytime someone visits a children's hospital to lift their spirits my respect for them goes up.

jbcarol

... Phil Pressey

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·Apr 12
Just heard Celtics are 6-4 with Phil Pressey starting this season. Anyone have the win-loss this season with Rondo starting?

jbcarol

... Christine Michael

HOUSTON - For most, prom night is one of the most memorable moments of a young girls life. For 18-year-old Taylor Kirkwood, Saturday night was her special night.

Kirkwood had everything a girl could ask for: the perfect earrings, perfect bracelet and the perfect pink dress.

In another room her date to the Anahuac High School prom was getting ready as well. He's plays football but not for the high school team.

He's Christine Michael, running back for the super bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

"I'm just here for Taylor," Michael said. "It's a blessing. Like I said, she's a beautiful kid. I'm very proud of her."

Turns out the former Texas A&M star is a friend of Kirkwood's family and he agreed to take Kirkwood to her high school prom.

"I think he's cute," Kirkwood said.

Her family wanted to do something special for her because she hasn't always had picture perfect days like these.

Not only is she autistic, up until surgery a couple years ago she suffered from scoliosis, making a night like her prom all the more special...

http://www.click2houston.com/news/nfl-player-takes-houston-teen-to-prom

Channel 2 in Houston

jbcarol

... Archie Goodwin

With dreams of reaching the postseason officially in their rear-view mirror, the Phoenix Suns were content to play for pride Wednesday against the Sacramento Kings.
In an effort to given (sic) plenty of the team's reserves quality minutes, head coach Jeff Hornacek played 12 total players, including rookie guard Archie Goodwin.

Goodwin scored a career-high 29 points on 11-of-13 from the field, Marcus Morris pitched in with 22 points off the pine and the Suns closed out their impressive, 48-win season with a 104-99 victory over the Kings.

http://arizonasports.com/41/1724025/Reserves-lead-Suns-to-seasonending-win-over-Kings-By-The-Numbers

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Marcus Lattimore

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState  1m
Lattimore is heading to 49ers minicamp on Sunday. I spoke with him about what's ahead. http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/04/19/589197/im-ready-to-play-lattimore-optimistic.html ...

QuoteNot his surgically rebuilt knees. Lattimore has devotedly rehabbed since that awful day at Williams-Brice Stadium in 2012 so that he will be ready to carry the football when the 2014 NFL season begins.

It's the waiting. From the time he was a tot, Lattimore was not only a football player but the football player. Having to wait for so much of his recent past – the final part of the 2011 season, the final part of the 2012 season and all of the 2013 season – has left a void.

He said he understands that it's a necessary part of his recovery, as San Francisco drafted him with an eye on the future, not an immediate impact. But watching from the sideline hurts.

"After my injury, I just wanted to walk again," Lattimore said on Friday. "It was tough, very tough. We're a playoff team, so we play 20-plus games. Being on that sideline, we got so close to the Super Bowl title the last three years.

"But I'm blessed to be in this situation. Never would have thought in a million years I'd be in this situation."

Lattimore leaves Sunday night for Santa Clara, Calif., and a 49ers minicamp. He's stayed with his family in the Upstate since last year's playoffs, working out in Greenville five days a week, and watched as the 49ers have made moves.

Backup running back Anthony Dixon signed with Buffalo. News broke on Friday that the 49ers might be shopping another backup, LaMichael James, for draft picks. If James leaves, San Francisco will be down to four running backs – franchise all-time rushing leader Frank Gore, top backup Kendall Hunter, Lattimore and Jewel Hampton, who, like Lattimore, never has played in an NFL game.

jbcarol

... Nick Calathes

Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk  Apr 18
Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA's anti-drug policy http://dlvr.it/5R98Ty

jbcarol

... Oliver Miller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 20, 2014, 02:51:38 pm
— Oliver Miller: I sell cars at Superstition Springs Chrysler Jeep Dodge. I've done it four months. I moved back in August for my grandson and the weather. One day at church, I ran into Alvin Heggs, who I played against in college when he was at Texas. I asked what he was doing, and he runs a dealership. I said, "Can I work for you?" and he told me to call him. I call him Monday and started on Tuesday. It's a different experience. I'm not the type to put pressure on people. I was in Washington D.C., being in trouble. It was meant for me to be here. My sister, niece, best friend and old teammates Gerald Brown, Mark West and Ced Ceballos are all here. My youngest son, Amman, just graduated from Higley High and is going to UofA to be a doctor. I guess I did something right. My oldest son, Xavier, has his own (automotive engineering) business, Spultronix. My goal is to open a jazz soul-food restaurant and then I want to coach kids in AAU from 15 to 17.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20130520phoenix-suns-players-discuss-what-theyre-doing-today.html

jbcarol

April 23, 2014, 09:04:25 am #294 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:12:47 pm by jbcarol
... DeAndre Liggins, Joakim Noah

Here is a release from the D-League:

NEW YORK, April 21, 2014 -- Sioux Falls Skyforce guard DeAndre Liggins has been selected as the 2014 NBA Development League's Defensive Player of the Year by a vote of the league's 17 head coaches, it was announced today.

Liggins (6-6, 209, Kentucky) appeared in 42 regular season games for the Skyforce, anchoring the defensive efforts of a Sioux Falls team that held their opponents to league-lows of only 45 percent shooting from the field and 100.1 points per 100 possessions. Sioux Falls' opponents averaged 102.9 points, good for second-lowest in the NBA D-League. As an individual, he averaged an NBA D-League best 2.6 steals, to go with 14.2 points and 4.8 assists.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2014/04/deandre-liggins-named-nba-d-league.html

Chicago Bulls ‏@chicagobulls ·Apr 21
Defensive Player of the Year @JoakimNoah accepts his hardware. #KiaDPOY pic.twitter.com/L0cfQJgujg

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Jon Hood

Former Top 50 BCG recruit was the only player to stick with John Calipari for all five of his first five seasons at UK.

http://www.richmondregister.com/localnews/x493473493/Wildcats-encourage-Cardinals-to-work-hard-in-school

Jon Hood, a guard on the men's team, stopped by Waco Elementary School on Wednesday to talk about the benefits of working hard in school.

Every Waco student received a free School is Cool poster that features the UK players, while students also had the opportunity to purchase a basketball or poster to be signed by the players at the end of the program. Proceeds from these sales fund the school visits, said Principal Venessa Worley.

Hood, 22, said if someone had told him in elementary school that he would one day play for UK, he wouldn't have believed it.

"But if it's worth it, you do it. You must give it your all," said Hood, who is a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball from Madisonville.

jbcarol

... David Langner

Coach Gus Malzahn @CoachGusMalzahn  ·  26m 
Saddened to hear the passing of Auburn legend and great man David Langner. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Auburn defensive back David Langner returned consecutive blocked punts for touchdowns in the fourth quarter to rally Auburn past Alabama in the 1972 Iron Bowl at Legion Field.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_0a57eb78-cd5f-11e3-8d44-0017a43b2370.html

jbcarol

... Alex Tyus, former Gator PF

Maccabi Tel Aviv BC ‏@MaccabiElectra ·20 hrs
@AlexTyus23 Named Euroleague's MVP for April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uLSH07SScg&list=PLCWRG1vLyuBLQf8dIrpYIZJeT_CH1-WeE ...

jbcarol

... John Servati

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·

Alabama swimmer John Servati 'thrived off helping others,' remembered as 'a hero every day' http://ow.ly/wj0pD

Alabama Athletics ‏@UA_Athletics Apr 29

UA Athletics extends its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of John Servati. http://goo.gl/Uc4YDG  pic.twitter.com/5d8J5o8Grm