Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shotgun Spread Offense is recipe for disaster - Robert Shields

Started by Robert Shields, February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

bradyv15

what i see wrong with that is he said a torn ACL and we are one-deminsional again...no way...d-mac, felix jones, plus you can add peyton hillis, he can play as an emergency RB.....3 strings right there....and i'm sure there are several young men that sit the bench that can come in and run the ball....we won't run it quite as much this year....and in the past 3 or 4 we have more likely tha not....and at the MOST we have needed 3 RB's not as much run this year so the backs shouldn't be tortured into making a 2nd and 15 into a first down on two runs everytime....

wildhogman

I keep hearing these statemenst about Guz reading the Defenses and calling the correct plays. If Gus is on the sidelines, dont you think Wood will be in the press box watching the D's? 30+years experince, I think he's seen a defensive formation or two and can tell Gus exactly what he wants to know.

Nutts and Bolts

What a rediculous article.  Trying to compare Jack Crowe's passing game to the "Gus"  just shows how out of touch Mr. Shields is.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

rricha

HognotinMemphis

Nice article. I think the readers are reacting with emotion rather than working through some of your points without any bias.

He's probably correct about what is going to happen to Arkansas as it goes to the spread offense. It will probably kill some of the non-conf. directional schools. But without better linemen on both sides of the ball, we'll still get eaten alive by the likes of USC, LSU, GA, Fla and Auburn.

4-4 in SEC is about as good as we're going to see until Nutt can get SEC caliber linemen or he's fired and a new coach can get SEC caliber linemen.

All the Mustains and Williamses and McFaddens won't make a difference if our linemen can't hold a block on LSU and GA.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DOGALUM

For Robert Shields............

Next year, our rushing numbers will still be at or near the top of the SEC.  What Gus will do is put our passing numbers at or near the top of the SEC as well.

Even though he would never admit it, I'm sure Gus will take some satisfaction in feeding you that big Shiite burger.  If he even knows/cares who the hell you are.

I'm sure you'll write a long article next year about how you knew the spread was the answer. 

Just another uneducated idiot reprinting the same garbage you've read from others.......nothing new....nothing original. 

Fact is, this offense has been amazingly successful every year.  People who sing the praises of Gus' offense do so because they've seen it work.  People who try to knock it only do so because they've never seen it and they ASSUME it is the same as any other spread scheme.  So please........until Gus' offense has a hard time moving the ball and scoring points for an entire season.........STFU!!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 06, 2006, 11:43:38 pm

Next year, our rushing numbers will still be at or near the top of the SEC.  What Gus will do is put our passing numbers at or near the top of the SEC as well.

Even though he would never admit it, I'm sure Gus will take some satisfaction in feeding you that big Shiite burger.  If he even knows/cares who the hell you are.

I'm sure you'll write a long article next year about how you knew the spread was the answer. 

Just another uneducated idiot reprinting the same garbage you've read from others.......nothing new....nothing original. 

Fact is, this offense has been amazingly successful every year.  People who sing the praises of Gus' offense do so because they've seen it work.  People who try to knock it only do so because they've never seen it and they ASSUME it is the same as any other spread scheme.  So please........until Gus' offense has a hard time moving the ball and scoring points for an entire season.........STFU!!

Dog,

I talked to a coach the other night that said he had a HC and a D-coordinator come in and do a clinic for his HS football team this past summer.  Now, these guys were highschool coaches from out of state, but they have one of the top highschool programs in the nation.  When asked about Gus' offense they both just laughed.  The said that what Gus ran was a gimmick offense.  The D-coordinator said, "we will have no problem stopping that.  It is a joke.  It is a gimmick."  They were very sure that Gus and his offensive scheme could not score on them at all.

What school were the coaches from?  That would be Jenks Oklahoma.  So, how did Jenks do.  I think Gus probably feeds off of people doubting him.  I think he will have much fun in the next couple of years proving that he can score against the elite defenses of the SEC.  Just my opinion...but I bet those coaches from Jenks won't be the only ones to look silly.
Retired Radio Host

DOGALUM

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 06, 2006, 11:58:45 pm
Quote from: DOGALUM on February 06, 2006, 11:43:38 pm

Dog,

I talked to a coach the other night that said he had a HC and a D-coordinator come in and do a clinic for his HS football team this past summer.  Now, these guys were highschool coaches from out of state, but they have one of the top highschool programs in the nation.  When asked about Gus' offense they both just laughed.  The said that what Gus ran was a gimmick offense.  The D-coordinator said, "we will have no problem stopping that.  It is a joke.  It is a gimmick."  They were very sure that Gus and his offensive scheme could not score on them at all.

What school were the coaches from?  That would be Jenks Oklahoma.  So, how did Jenks do.  I think Gus probably feeds off of people doubting him.  I think he will have much fun in the next couple of years proving that he can score against the elite defenses of the SEC.  Just my opinion...but I bet those coaches from Jenks won't be the only ones to look silly.
Those Jenks coaches, while obviously good coaches, are arrogant pricks.  In 2002, Springdale hosted Jenks and kicked their arses.  Gus had said all week leading up to that game that he would have receivers open all night long...it was just a matter of Martinez (Jr. QB at the time) could get the ball to them.  Well....he did.  After that game, the Jenks coaches wanted out of the next game.  Turns out Jenks beat Springdale at Jenks in 2003.  After that one, the Jenks coaches said they wouldn't play Springdale and their "gimmick" offense anymore.  This game in '05, I believe, was just a one year deal that Jenks only agreed to play in because it was going to be on national tv.  It's funny......for a coach that laughs at this "gimmick" offense, he sure hates to play against it. 

Never fear my ugly friend........our offense will be more than impressive next year. 

Lando Calrissian

Speaking of gimmick offenses, anybody remember Evangel's this past season? 

Sheesh!

*THAT* is a gimmick offense.

(And Springdale shut it down like it was nobody's business)
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Reaganite

Robert,

You might want to turn on your firewall.  Otherwise Nutt will continue posting articles under your name.  Otherwise, you just keep your eye on the rushing stats next year while the rest of us watch the TD and overall ranking stats. ;-)

rayserbach

Quote from: FullMetalPiglet on February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am
Shotgun Spread Offense is Recipe for Disaster

Poorly researched with no vision. Did you even talk to Gus Malzahn???? Talk to him and try that again, please.

Sincerely,

Ray

Lando Calrissian

The more I think about it, the more I think Shields' statements are nothing more than a PR ploy.

That is a strong accusation to make, I know.

Most of the stuff, if not ALL of it, are things we dealt with right after Malzahn's hiring.

-  Malzahn doesn't run the ball.
-  Malzahn is going to forget that McFadden and Felix Jones are on the team.
-  Malzahn won't call plays for Marcus Monk, etc.

Seriously, Robert Shields, we covered all of this already:  THREE MONTHS AGO.

This is nothing more than a PR ploy.

In internet terms, it's trolling.

The two go hand-in-hand.

Now we're going to all be suckers (myself included) just to see what he has to say next about whatever it is he writes about.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Reaganite

It's almost as if it was the story he had written when he first heard that Gus would be the OC... stopped short of submitting it when it turned out the fans were elated and then it accidentally got turned it.

That's the ONLY way that piece of butt paper makes any sense.

mojobeaux

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2006, 10:41:24 pm
Nice article. I think the readers are reacting with emotion rather than working through some of your points without any bias.

He's probably correct about what is going to happen to Arkansas as it goes to the spread offense. It will probably kill some of the non-conf. directional schools. But without better linemen on both sides of the ball, we'll still get eaten alive by the likes of USC, LSU, GA, Fla and Auburn.

4-4 in SEC is about as good as we're going to see until Nutt can get SEC caliber linemen or he's fired and a new coach can get SEC caliber linemen.

All the Mustains and Williamses and McFaddens won't make a difference if our linemen can't hold a block on LSU and GA.

you need to stop using the term "we" so liberally.  you are not one of us.  you are like the freakin' anti-rick.  cheer up a little.

Porky OLeary

Some of the huggers might want to ease up on criticism of this column. If we only win 6 or 7 next year, you guys will need the "it takes some time to install this offense, get the right players" excuse to justify keeping nutt around. And that will be somewhat difficult after spending all spring and summer telling us how we are going to lead the sec in both rushing and passing.
I'm all about gus' offense, but to think it's going to be easy, the first year, especially on the line, I think is going overboard.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Porky OLeary on February 07, 2006, 05:24:43 am
Some of the huggers might want to ease up on criticism of this column. If we only win 6 or 7 next year, you guys will need the "it takes some time to install this offense, get the right players" excuse to justify keeping nutt around. And that will be somewhat difficult after spending all spring and summer telling us how we are going to lead the sec in both rushing and passing.
I'm all about gus' offense, but to think it's going to be easy, the first year, especially on the line, I think is going overboard.
Yahtzee.

But, let these saps revel in their false glory for now...it's all they have. Reality will set in the first game of the year since it's against USC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HogDodging

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 06, 2006, 10:06:45 am
Complete and total moron.  I guess he didn't watch a SINGLE game that Springdale played last season.  If he did, and he were such an expert, he would know that Springdale ran the ball OVER 50% of it's plays... I don't really see how anyone could define that as "one dimensional."

Next time, dude needs to put a little research into his article, before he makes himself look like such a fool.

If you watched any Springdale game, you'd know that Malzahn's offense was heavily pass-oriented with MM in the lineup.  Once the mercy rule was invoked in the second half, MM was pulled and Jeremy Paxton took over.  The offense then changed to run oriented because that was Paxton's strength.
It's probably true that at the end of the game, the number of passing vs. running plays balanced themselves out.  But, that can be a deceiving stat.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 07, 2006, 09:13:59 am
If you watched any Springdale game, you'd know that Malzahn's offense was heavily pass-oriented with MM in the lineup.  Once the mercy rule was invoked in the second half, MM was pulled and Jeremy Paxton took over.  The offense then changed to run oriented because that was Paxton's strength.
It's probably true that at the end of the game, the number of passing vs. running plays balanced themselves out.  But, that can be a deceiving stat.
Watch the first half of every game at www.bulldogtvonline.com 
OR
add up the # of rushes by each of the starters -- Clinkscales, Williams, Norman & Pongonis (A. Jones in 2 games) http://www.springdalebulldogfootball.com/gamestats_2005.htm

That's where the 50-50 assertion comes from.   

Posted previously on this thread...
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,47256.msg520151.html#msg520151

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 07, 2006, 09:09:52 am
Quote from: Porky OLeary on February 07, 2006, 05:24:43 am
Yahtzee.

But, let these saps revel in their false glory for now...it's all they have. Reality will set in the first game of the year since it's against USC.

And if it doesn't what you gonna do then Blower.... With the changes I feel we will win 8 next year... I do not believe we will be 9 or 10 land yet... But I do not think we will be in the 6 or 7 range either
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rricha on February 06, 2006, 10:38:10 pm
he pissed alot of you off with this mess

It's just so sloppy.  Don't know why Shields would be so sloppy.  It's so unlike him.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

CorningHog

What is so predictable about some on here, like HiM, (don't know why I give him any attention) is that no matter what happens they all want to run off and say they "predicted" it long before someone else.  The argument about the linemen and not being ready to pass is such a load of bull.  South Carolina's success this year was not because Spurrier inherited a strong set of pass blockers.  It was more because the QB had a nice arm and the ability to read his keys on where the ball should be going against certain defenses.  It also helped that Sidney Rice was a phenomenal receiver.

Regardless of all the speculation either for what could be great success for Arkansas this coming season with the changes on the coaching staff and the new "signees" like Mitch & Damian and the other 5 or 6 wr's, te, etc... the sad part is that some on this board will rattle things off no matter if Arkansas beats USC on Sept 2nd, then reels off 4 or 5 straight wins.  The first loss will be all it takes to bring out the pessimistic rants and glass half full gripers and moaners. 
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

PulledPork

It's amazing how Clinkscales got a 1000yds this year in a "pass heavy" offense...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 07, 2006, 09:09:52 am

What's astonishing is you have some fans going around saying this was OUR BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN HISTORY, which is an insult to a lot of better ones.

I'd be embarrassed making such a claim.  "Yup, fellers, a class that was DOA in December finished as our best ever!"

We can recruit our best-ever class even when we strike out on 80% of our summer A list and signing a fistful of complete unknowns.  We don't have to sign a lot of blue chips to have our best class ever!  We can do it and still pad the class with reaches.

Not all of our reaches were unknown, that's a misstatement.  We signed some guys who had been evaluated by other schools and were either rejected or kept on a string as potential last-minute fallbacks (like Mister Alexander).  This was a robust year for talent, and many of our rivals didn't have to offer kids who were coming off major knee injuries, or played receiver in option offenses, or need to increase their body mass by 15-20% before they can play.

These kids may be great long-term investments, but they are by definition more speculative and less likely to be able to help soon.  Weirdest thing to me is we were unable to sign anybody who looks like immediate help at linebacker.  Somebody will have to play, but that's not ideal at all.  The rest of the SEC signed four of Scout.com's top eight linebackers and 14 of the top 50.  Who had a better playing time proposition than we did?  If Ole Miss could sign stud linebackers, we surely should be able to do it.

At safety, our help consisted of two junior college players both of whom appear to play the same position, strong safety.  Free safety was a trouble spot in most of our games last year.

How much improvement will be visible by game one?  Almost all the reinforcements come in August.  We'll struggle to have enough linebackers to hold spring drills.  Passing work will be underpopulated with receivers in spring.

It was not really smart to move the USC game to week one.  We'll still win a lot of games, though.
[CENSORED]!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 07, 2006, 10:59:15 am
Passing work will be underpopulated with receivers in spring.

Unless you're in the SHS fieldhouse where MM, DW, AN, and BC will be practicing together using the Hogs' new playbook. ;)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on February 07, 2006, 10:09:20 am
What is so predictable about some on here, like HiM, (don't know why I give him any attention) is that no matter what happens they all want to run off and say they "predicted" it long before someone else.  The argument about the linemen and not being ready to pass is such a load of bull.  South Carolina's success this year was not because Spurrier inherited a strong set of pass blockers.  It was more because the QB had a nice arm and the ability to read his keys on where the ball should be going against certain defenses.  It also helped that Sidney Rice was a phenomenal receiver.

Regardless of all the speculation either for what could be great success for Arkansas this coming season with the changes on the coaching staff and the new "signees" like Mitch & Damian and the other 5 or 6 wr's, te, etc... the sad part is that some on this board will rattle things off no matter if Arkansas beats USC on Sept 2nd, then reels off 4 or 5 straight wins.  The first loss will be all it takes to bring out the pessimistic rants and glass half full gripers and moaners. 

Classic Houston Nutt would be to beat USC then lose the first 2 or 3 SEC games they play. Whether it's the players or the no-talent coaching staff, it's HDN's baby and he has to answer. He has a sub .500 SEC record over 8 seasons as head coach. He'll Frank up this coming season too. 4-4 is the best he'll get in SEC even with a favorable schedule...we all know RRS is no home field advantage for the Hogs.

pfrg999

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 07, 2006, 12:29:10 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 07, 2006, 12:04:25 pm
...the no-talent coaching staff...

Which of the coaches on staff do you categorize this way?  Are their any exceptions or does every coach get painted with the same brush?

I guess he couldn't answer that one ;D
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HognotinMemphis

Which of the coaches on staff do you categorize this way?  Are their any exceptions or does every coach get painted with the same brush?

Nutt, Allen, Vaughn, Shibest and Markuson for sure. Rocker is an exception, as is Red Herring. We'll see what the new hires do this next season.

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 07, 2006, 01:42:06 pm

Nutt, Allen, Vaughn, Shibest and Markuson for sure. Rocker is an exception, as is Red Herring. We'll see what the new hires do this next season.

I'll Agree with That.... Rocker, Herring, Wood and GM are all good....

jkstock04

Nutt, Allen, Vaughn, Shibest and Markuson for sure. Rocker is an exception, as is Red Herring.
As much as you get drilled on this website...I dont think too many will argue with you on that...
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 07, 2006, 01:45:24 pm

Nutt, Allen, Vaughn, Shibest and Markuson for sure. Rocker is an exception, as is Red Herring.
As much as you get drilled on this website...I dont think too many will argue with you on that...
As a matter of fact...about three weeks ago a buddy of mine who is a former Hog and now in the NFL and I were talking and I asked him to honestly tell me which coaches for the Hogs he thought sucked...he told me Shibest and Vaughn had no busness being college football coaches....but, surprisingly he said Markuson was a good coach and knew what he was doing...I told him he was full of s**t and I thought Markuson was horrible...he just laughed at me.  Of course he said he believed Nutt was a good coach...evidently a lot of 'em do.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogInaStrangeLand

I propose the NCAA institute mandatory drug testing for journalists...

pfrg999