Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

While Hogs were recruiting Springdale High

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 02, 2006, 08:25:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Here is what some of the other SEC schools (remember that conference that we are in and the teams we have to compete against on the field every year?) were doing:

Fla, Ga, LSU and Auburn all had consensus top 10 recruiting classes and some think 'Bama did too.

LSU signed the #1 ranked CB in the country, the #1 ranked Def. tackle in the country and the #2 ranked TE in the country.

The ole ball coach at SC signed SEVEN OFFENSIVE LINEMEN + a QB out of Alabama considered the #8 Pro Style QB in the country. I tend to think that Spurrier knows more about how to put together a great offense than does our head coach, who signed only 3 offensive linemen. And while I'm on the subject of linemen, nice pick up of 4 Def. linemen, Coach Nutt...Especially when 3 of them are DE's who don't weigh much more than our WR's. All these linemen the Hogs are getting will really take us to the top.

The coach we could have had, is working away down at Auburn. He was quoted saying, "I often judge a signing class by the number of linemen i sign."  Auburn signed ELEVEN linemen, including 8 on the defensive front. Tuberville, like Spurrier, has forgotten more than Nutt will ever know about how to recruit, sign and use linemen to win in the SEC.

Meanwhile, back on the Hill, Nutt and the Murray St. mafia (with the addition of a NFL coach and a HS coach) signed as many WR's as they did linemen. Oh, and they got an "athlete" and two more RB's too! Hooray!

By the way, Nutt stayed true to himself by not recruiting a kicker for our woeful kicking game, so look for continued 4th down plays when the Hogs are outside the opponent's 15 yd. line. Still no FG attempts of greater than 35 yards to look forward to for the Hogs.

I sure hope our punter can average in the high 30's this year again.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PAHog

I was a little disappointed in the lack of interior linemen on defense also, but we're not known as DL university like LSU.  One of my biggest gripes w/ Nutt is that he refuses to recruit Ks and Ps.  They're so valuable, especially in a conference that puts a high value on D.  Don't need 'em in the MAC and Pac10.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

hogsanity

Well why dont you go follow one of those programs now that the horns have lost their meal ticket and will underacheive for another 35 years like they did between 69 and 05.  GO watch SC continue to lose to GA every year.  You do know only 5 of those lnemen at most, can play at any one time. 

Of the players you listed for LSU, how many cam from inside their state.  Did LSU sign the best HS players in Louisiana?  Well, Ar signed the best within the state of AR. 

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2006, 08:31:44 am
Well why dont you go follow one of those programs now that the horns have lost their meal ticket and will underacheive for another 35 years like they did between 69 and 05.  GO watch SC continue to lose to GA every year.  You do know only 5 of those lnemen at most, can play at any one time. 

Of the players you listed for LSU, how many cam from inside their state.  Did LSU sign the best HS players in Louisiana?  Well, Ar signed the best within the state of AR. 

When excuses are all you have, use them heavily....and get used to 3-5 or 4-4 in SEC every year with the occasional 2-6 like last year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2006, 08:35:47 am

When excuses are all you have, use them heavily....and get used to 3-5 or 4-4 in SEC every year with the occasional 2-6 like last year.

Yes, and when posed a question you dont want to answer just sling mud, right him.  Answer the question about the LSU signees.  Did LSu sing the best players in their state?  And did Ar do the same in their state?  It is a simple question, one even someone who like the horns or lives in Tn should be able to answer. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

arkhogdog61

why do you say we on this board your not one of US you love texass remember? got a mouse in your pocket?
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

camelt

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will since you have all the answers), but didn't we manhandle all of your precious longhorn "Parade" all Americans the last 3 times we played.  These "recruiting rankings" that you seem to be hanging your hat on mean BUNK.  The hogs are consistently one of the most physical teams in the SEC and I cannot remember watching and SEC game in the past 8 eight years that I felt we were totally outgunned.

Ya if it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all, but we line up and bring it every week in the SEC.  You make it sound like we are physically outmanned.  That is simply not the case.

Mark my words.  Alabama will suck this year. Why? Because they are losing their SR QB.  Shula will be on the hot seat after this year and the 4 touchdown ass whoopin the hogs put on them. 

Another case study would be to watch the NFL draft and track how many 4 and 5 star ranked kids get drafted compared to 3 star and below.  My money would be on the 3 stars and below.

Hogs4Ever

The difference between our class ranking and the top of the SEC classes is a cumulative .5 point.  We filled our needs and got some big play makers.  We have enough talent to compete on the SEC.  It comes down to who wants it more on gameday.

Horninmemphis, you need to change your name because you are a permanent resident of:

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on February 02, 2006, 08:42:26 am
why do you say we on this board your not one of US you love texass remember? got a mouse in your pocket?

:razorback:

Agreed, if you are truley a Hog Fan there is no way you can also be a fan of texass.  I think he is full of it and is here just to stir up crap.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Hogger

I'll judge this recruiting class in 2 1/2 years.

brooks74

Hog In Memphis, why do you post crap like that .  We all know that other schools in the SEC had good recruiting years, but isn't if funny that almost every other SEC and major college program was focused pretty heavily on SHS too.  It's not like we got all excited about some decent local talent.  All 4 of those guys will be major contributors over the next 4-5 years.  Say what you want, but we have a defensive coordinator that has proven that he can build a top 5 national defense, and now we have some offensive coaches who will be very good coaches.  Let the recruit and go cheer for your little friends the Longhorns.  We don't need fans like you.

pfrg999

I agree we should have picked up a few more linemen... Signed/ walk on 3 have 11-13 on Campus... for a total of 14-16... some will redshirt..

I of course think you are a Texass worm... and should go to Tuck Fexas boards to spew your Prodigious Drivel but yet you enlighten us with your (95%) crap overview of a university that you neither support nor have to much knowledge of.
Hogsanity put it right...

You put people down when you cannot deal with the facts.... 
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

JJHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2006, 08:25:49 am
Here is what some of the other SEC schools (remember that conference that we are in and the teams we have to compete against on the field every year?) were doing:

Fla, Ga, LSU and Auburn all had consensus top 10 recruiting classes and some think 'Bama did too.

LSU signed the #1 ranked CB in the country, the #1 ranked Def. tackle in the country and the #2 ranked TE in the country.

The ole ball coach at SC signed SEVEN OFFENSIVE LINEMEN + a QB out of Alabama considered the #8 Pro Style QB in the country. I tend to think that Spurrier knows more about how to put together a great offense than does our head coach, who signed only 3 offensive linemen. And while I'm on the subject of linemen, nice pick up of 4 Def. linemen, Coach Nutt...Especially when 3 of them are DE's who don't weigh much more than our WR's. All these linemen the Hogs are getting will really take us to the top.

The coach we could have had, is working away down at Auburn. He was quoted saying, "I often judge a signing class by the number of linemen i sign."  Auburn signed ELEVEN linemen, including 8 on the defensive front. Tuberville, like Spurrier, has forgotten more than Nutt will ever know about how to recruit, sign and use linemen to win in the SEC.

Meanwhile, back on the Hill, Nutt and the Murray St. mafia (with the addition of a NFL coach and a HS coach) signed as many WR's as they did linemen. Oh, and they got an "athlete" and two more RB's too! Hooray!

By the way, Nutt stayed true to himself by not recruiting a kicker for our woeful kicking game, so look for continued 4th down plays when the Hogs are outside the opponent's 15 yd. line. Still no FG attempts of greater than 35 yards to look forward to for the Hogs.

Have one of our better recruiting efforts and you p#%$ all over it.

Perfect. Go cheer for the Memphis Tigers football program.
" Think Right, Do Right"

DukeOfPork

HogInMemphis is a b@stard.  Always has been.  He is a "Hog fan" who lives solely to crush the dreams of other Hog fans.

Having said that, he is generally correct on this.  Overall, this is not a bad class, however, it isn't nearly as good as most of our SEC rivals.  Too many WR's, too few linemen, and a continued commitment to neglecting our kicking game.

pfrg999

Gentleman.... HIM says this is the Greatest hog wesite ever... Everybody take a look

Greatest Hog football website ever!
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkPariah on February 02, 2006, 09:21:53 am

HogInMemphis is a b@stard.  Always has been.  He is a "Hog fan" who lives solely to crush the dreams of other Hog fans.

Having said that, he is generally correct on this.  Overall, this is not a bad class, however, it isn't nearly as good as most of our SEC rivals.  Too many WR's, too few linemen, and a continued commitment to neglecting our kicking game.

Well Pork, I have to disagree on the WR's.  The spread needs 6-8 good ones to run it.  I am not sure we had 6 legit Wr on campus.  It is obvious Gus looked at the WR we had and said  " I need a lot more " and he got them. 

I could go on for hours about the lines.  This is a problem that predates HDN by about 30 years. 

Tammany Tom

Did LSU sign the best players within the state of Louisiana?

Does this answer your question.......
http://lsu.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1373&Year=2006

Only every single player we targeted in the state and 12 of the top 14.

How many of our players came within the state of LA?
13 out of 24 signees.

Of the 11 out of state signees we got, these are most notable:

Charles Deas: 4 star DT and Rivals National 100 player out of Ft. Lauderdale
Matt Allen: 4 star OL and Texas Top 40 player out of Klein, TX
Derrick Odom: 4 star LB and Rivals National 100 player out of Jackson, MS
Richard Dickson: 4 star TE and MS Top 5 player out of Ocean Springs, MS

We also received an OL and 2 LB's that were ranked in Georgia's Top 50. 

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 02, 2006, 09:25:43 am
Gentleman.... HIM says this is the Greatest hog wesite ever... Everybody take a look

Greatest Hog football website ever!
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com

All the horns are wrong side up on that site.  Must be a glitch.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

hogsanity

Quote from: Tammany Tom on February 02, 2006, 09:30:37 am

Did LSU sign the best players within the state of Louisiana?

Does this answer your question.......
http://lsu.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1373&Year=2006

Only every single player we targeted in the state and 12 of the top 14.

How many of our players came within the state of LA?
13 out of 24 signees.

Of the 11 out of state signees we got, these are most notable:

Charles Deas: 4 star DT and Rivals National 100 player out of Ft. Lauderdale
Matt Allen: 4 star OL and Texas Top 40 player out of Klein, TX
Derrick Odom: 4 star LB and Rivals National 100 player out of Jackson, MS
Richard Dickson: 4 star TE and MS Top 5 player out of Ocean Springs, MS

We also received an OL and 2 LB's that were ranked in Georgia's Top 50. 

My point was that the original poster was poking fun that while we were recruiting at s-dale others were signing talent.  He then pointed out LSU.  Ar did what everyone does, they tried to sign the best players in state.  Only our state does not have that many. 

brooks74

What we did in the last month of so of recruiting was very impressive.  Next year, I would guess that we are well within the top 25 classes, and as Hogger said, none of these classes mean jack until they step on the field and prove anything.  2007-2009 will show us how good this class really is

TulsaHawg

You don't think Reggie had any input on who the recruits on D were?  Now that's funny right there!   ;D
Do you do stand-up in Memphis?

brooks74

Another reason why you don't judge recruiting classes right after they are signed.  Coaches recruit to fit there system(at least good coaches do), and I think Herring, Malzahn and Wood will do that and we will reap the benefits of that .  Just because a guy is a 2-star doesn't mean he won't become a star in a certain system.  Look at all the players who succeed with one team in the NFL, but when they go to a different system they struggle

Shag66

QuoteHaving said that, he is generally correct on this.  Overall, this is not a bad class, however, it isn't nearly as good as most of our SEC rivals.  Too many WR's, too few linemen, and a continued commitment to neglecting our kicking game.

I disagree.  I think after we see who qualifies and who doesn't we are going to be close to 4th or 5th in the SEC.  We did pick up a couple of extra WR's, but did YOU want to turn down DW and LC?  We are as deep at OL as we have been in 8 years and we signed 3 that look good and they have already said that they are expecting to get 6 OL next year.  As far as kicke goes, I agree BUT according to Rivals out of the top 25 classes only ONE SCHOOL offered a scholie to a special teams player.  I hope he finds a good kicker but its hard to blame them for not doing something that no one else does either. 

HiM... that really cool ignore button was made for guys JUST LIKE YOU!

sage_dragoon

Kinda funny he chastises HDN for signing 3 OL and then praises TT for doing the same. As far as OL go, we have 4 returning starters, a few back ups and at least 4 redshirt freshmen, add these 3 and your right around 15+ linemen. That would average out to 3 deep.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

Kevin

you guys are giving him what he wants attention.  just ignore anything he ever post.  don't get your blood pressure up over this. 

we have a very good recruiting class.  Let's enjoy that!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

brooks74

I just wanted to tell him how dumb I thought his post was.  It's definitely not worth getting upset about

jpsand

I have heard many say that ol recruits are needed for us to win will I agree to a point, but that is not the reason for the losses.  The system we have is run-run-run and if we get behind or get in trouble pass.  Well we have not been a threat to pass or at least a serious threat so the opposition stacks the line and they pass all you want.  When this new system is installed and with right personal it will be impossible to defend the run or the pass because we do them both well.  Quarterback and system not ol has been the problem. :

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: brooks74 on February 02, 2006, 10:24:23 am
I just wanted to tell him how dumb I thought his post was.  It's definitely not worth getting upset about

Simple, well thought, good job!

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Actually, I quite enjoy giving Donghorn fans a hard time. :)

Razorback Jedi

Regardless of his allegience, he makes some valid points.

I love the high profile players that we bagged, just as much as the rest of you.... But we all know that to win consistantly in the SEC you've got to have big bodies on the Line....on BOTH sides of the line.

Our team has had next to zero production from the defensive Line in many many years, thus telling us that maybe our beloved coaching staff doesn't know how to:
- recruit defensive line talent
- develop defensive lineman
- something of an anomaly

So, while the Hogs are trying to find a name for themselves with "star" players mainly on the offensive side of the ball (which has generally been the case under Nutt), other teams in the SEC are getting players that are needed for championship type teams.

Might this class usher in a new era for Nutt and co? Yes, very possibly.

Do I trust Nutt's evaluation of talent over that of his coaching counterparts at Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, etc? Absolutely NOT.

I'll change my tune with the product on the field excedes that of what we've seen over the past 6 years. I sure hope to change my tune, that's for sure.

Wooo Pig.

D-macs cuz

don't forget, mack brown was getting hammered by local media because he couldn't beat OU.  If you signed every top prospect in Texas, you would EASILY have the #1 recruiting class.  I could coach the longhorns, it's not like mack does a whole lot of anything....UH Vince, we're going to run the spread and you throw deep or run.   Great qb, sub par coach...ask applewhite when he got benched for chrissy simms.

Highway Hog Sign

I don't get it.  Should we not have recruited the Springdale players?  I understand you're not happy with our class as a whole but making an effort to recruit the Springdale players wasn't the problem, (I actually like our class and don't think there IS a problem).
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

12under

you're right memphis, we should never have been recruiting the springdale players

Hawgz4Life

It is my personal belief that defense wins championships...we aren't hurting there. RH took care to work with our D to bring it up to speed in the latter part of the season. Now that he's in place and he has the guys working it his way, our D will be even tougher. Couple that with the 1-2 punch of the spread offense and a platoon of GOOD wide recievers, and we'll do fine.

fsmhogfan

HIM,
We recruited to our needs and from my point of view, we met our needs.    SC needs help on the O-line, now. Auburn, on the D-line. You said that Auburn recruited ELEVEN linemen with 8 on the d-line. Well, that means they pulled in THREE o-linemen. Same as us. I think we look pretty good on both sides of the line right now, although I think we'll be thin on the o-line next year if all three don't work out. Additionally, I think Ziemba out of Rogers may start as a freshmen. He may be the most talented lineman out of Arkansas since Andrews. Kit Coleman will help the line, too.

Finally, I agree with most of the other posters on this thread, you should drop the "WE". Hogs and Horns are like oil and water...they don't mix well.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkPariah on February 02, 2006, 09:21:53 am

Wow. What a contradiction you posted. Kick me in the ribs then agree with me. Nice. I couldn't have done it any better.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: brooks74 on February 02, 2006, 10:00:18 am
What we did in the last month of so of recruiting was very impressive.  Next year, I would guess that we are well within the top 25 classes, and as Hogger said, none of these classes mean jack until they step on the field and prove anything.  2007-2009 will show us how good this class really is

No intelligent recruiting service will ever rank any Hog class in the top 20 overall or in the top 6 in the SEC until Nutt & Co. actually do something with them on the field. That is, start winning more than you lose in a season and in conference. Nutt has a 8 year SEC record that is below .500. That is pudding that the recruiting services look at and use to pre-judge our recruiting classes.

Until Nutt figures out how to get quality O and D linemen, we're doomed to mediocrity and being bent over and rammed once a year like last year's USC game.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Kevin on February 02, 2006, 10:23:31 am
you guys are giving him what he wants attention.  just ignore anything he ever post.  don't get your blood pressure up over this. 

we have a very good recruiting class.  Let's enjoy that!

Yeah, we got the 9th best class in  the SEC...let's have a party!!!

Can't wait for that 6-6 season next year!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hawgz4Life on February 02, 2006, 12:15:44 pm
It is my personal belief that defense wins championships...we aren't hurting there. RH took care to work with our D to bring it up to speed in the latter part of the season. Now that he's in place and he has the guys working it his way, our D will be even tougher. Couple that with the 1-2 punch of the spread offense and a platoon of GOOD wide recievers, and we'll do fine.

When you say "my", that means you...no need to throw in "personal" as we all realize that after you say "my".

Now, regarding your "personal" belief that the Hogs are not hurting on defense, ask our defense how they felt after being bent over multiple times by USC this season. I think they'd tell you they WERE hurting...very sore in the anal area.

HamShank

I realize I'm new here, and HogInMemphis, you can smite away, but if the Horns avatar weren't hard enough for me to swallow, I haven't read a positive post from you in the last three months of reading these boards.  I would love to just "avoid your posts," but you're everywhere.  Listen, I can understand skepticism, but this is the first week most of us have felt even cautiously optimistic about Hog football in a long, long time.  HogInMemphis, there's no one else on here that is so consistently down on our program yet spends so much time here.  90% of the time, the pessimists will be right in this world, but just give us a little break until the season starts and we lose a few.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HamShank on February 02, 2006, 12:34:36 pm
I realize I'm new here, and HogInMemphis, you can smite away, but if the Horns avatar weren't hard enough for me to swallow, I haven't read a positive post from you in the last three months of reading these boards.  I would love to just "avoid your posts," but you're everywhere.  Listen, I can understand skepticism, but this is the first week most of us have felt even cautiously optimistic about Hog football in a long, long time.  HogInMemphis, there's no one else on here that is so consistently down on our program yet spends so much time here.  90% of the time, the pessimists will be right in this world, but just give us a little break until the season starts and we lose a few.

I'm everywhere? They are 50 posters, at least, who post much more than I do. I go days and weeks without posting. You see what you want to...you want to see my posts.

Breaks are for winners so I can't give you one. And the Hogs probably are not going to catch a break either as long as Nutt is head coach.

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2006, 12:33:21 pm

When you say "my", that means you...no need to throw in "personal" as we all realize that after you say "my".

Now, regarding your "personal" belief that the Hogs are not hurting on defense, ask our defense how they felt after being bent over multiple times by USC this season. I think they'd tell you they WERE hurting...very sore in the anal area.

You are soooooo Gay... I realize it you always talk about being bent over and ramming...

I agree we should have picked up 1 or 2 more linemen... Signed/ walk on 3 have 11-13 on Campus... for a total of 14-16... some will redshirt..

I of course think you are a Texass worm... and should go to Tuck Fexas boards to spew your Prodigious Drivel but yet you enlighten us with your (95%) crap overview of a university that you neither support nor have to much knowledge of.

So the Springdale players were Crap or what explain that ... we should have not recruited them

12under

memphis, you are saying that recruiting services evaluate how they think these players will be coached in college to establish class rankings?  brilliant

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 02, 2006, 12:41:55 pm

You are soooooo Gay... I realize it you always talk about being bent over and ramming...

I agree we should have picked up 1 or 2 more linemen... Signed/ walk on 3 have 11-13 on Campus... for a total of 14-16... some will redshirt..

So the Springdale players were Crap or what explain that ... we should have not recruited them

Please, stop repeating yourself.

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2006, 01:01:30 pm

I of course think you are a Texass worm... and should go to Tuck Fexas boards to spew your Prodigious Drivel but yet you stay and try to  enlighten us with your (98%) crap overview of a university that you neither support nor have to much knowledge of.  Lets see  How do you come by your vast knowledge of the Razorback Program.... Talk to the Players Huh  Coaches Huh Staff Huh  On campus Much? How many games go you go to.... Did you go to school there... C'mon of Donghorn one... Tell us you Great and vast knowledge.... You are like the Wizard of Oz... Some big Bluster and pull back the curtain... nothing but a Gimpy old POS, who doesn't know Jack... Sad really

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2006, 01:01:30 pm

Answer the question .... 1) what is your need to always mention Being Bent over and anal
                                      2)  Should we have not recruited the Springdale players

brooks74

Wait and see HIM, wait and see.  Can't wait to see you eating crow over the next 5 years.

Shag66

You can only sign 25....  Who exactly should we have left off for the other 2-3 OL???

We have 3 OL coming in and more on campus than we have had in the past 7-8 years.  They have already said they wanted to sign at least 6 OL next year.  Whats your beef?