Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCurdy 1 Minute!!!!!!

Started by austinhogfan, January 21, 2006, 05:54:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spahoopsfan

McCurdy is SEC material.  If a couple of turnovers is an indicator that a player is not SEC material then we wouldn't have any players. How many turnovers did Jefferson have last year? How many has Ferguson had in his four years? As a coach you realize that freshmen will make mistakes, it doesn't mean you don't play them. One of the best things about McCurdy is his energy. Now you are going to take that away and he will be scared to play, just like Jefferson was last year.  In the Alabama game who made the stupidest turnover? Brewer, we he bounded the ball on his foot. Players make mistakes. 19 turnovers yesterday. Baby steps.. With our guards we need to develop players. Practice is okay but it isn't like a game. Modica improving his dribbing happens in practice.  McCurdy needs game experience.

Fletch

Quote from: djgaffer on January 22, 2006, 10:45:58 am
FYI...

Dontell Jefferson is leading the SEC in assists in conference play. Not sure if it's been mentioned.
But he has to be dead last in points scored. He does some good things but to me the honest truth is that we are deficient in talent at most guard spots other than Brewer. It's not a matter of who is the best on the team it's a matter of none of  them being good enough. They are O.K. We will just never win anything big with them. We still have an overall talent deficiency despite the high school rankings of some of Heath's recruits.
I feel like $100

silvertip

Quote from: dirthog on January 21, 2006, 06:34:45 pm
how will hee ever adjust to the speed of the game if he gets no PT?
Quote from: austinhogfan on January 21, 2006, 08:58:50 pm
A one minute breather???? and no attempts.....you let a good shooter put a couple up to see if hes hot........one minute..no shots...no chance!!!

Dontell got more than one minute on the bench. Someone else came in for McCurdy. Hunter also came in for 1 minute, immediately in-bounded under our basket to an Auburn player for 2pts that helped spark Auburn's 10-0 run. Fumbled another pass, but we kept it. Stan yanked him as quick as he could because Auburn was making a charge.

Auburn was bothering all our guards all night with traps when we crossed mid-court. Jefferson, Brewer, Ferguson and Modica all were harassed by their quick guards. Sean is just not ready for that.

silvertip

Quote from: Fletch on January 22, 2006, 11:01:48 am
FYI...

Dontell Jefferson is leading the SEC in assists in conference play. Not sure if it's been mentioned.
But he has to be dead last in points scored. He does some good things but to me the honest truth is that we are deficient in talent at most guard spots other than Brewer. It's not a matter of who is the best on the team it's a matter of none of them being good enough. They are O.K. We will just never win anything big with them. We still have an overall talent deficiency despite the high school rankings of some of Heath's recruits.

I don't know if Dontell is "dead last" in scoring "among SEC PDs or not. Just to stir the pot, I'll say that he isn't. Why don't you go find the stats for SEC PG scoring & enlighten us? You can find the info at secsports.com

While you're at it, how about you check on RBing & steals for SEC PG, as well as FG%, and FT%. I would bet Dontell is among the top 5 overall SEC PGs when you consider all that. I moght do all that some day---not today.

I say DONTELL'S ONE OF THE TOP 5 SEC PGs. Someone prove me wrong.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: silvertipI say DONTELL'S ONE OF THE TOP 5 SEC PGs.

I know yesterday's win was good, but damn...
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Buck Ocean

Sure he should have played more in the cupecake schedule as said before, but McCurdy is not
Karreem Reid.  When Reid arrived everyone knew he was going to start.  Fact.  Then he got injured, which kept him from gaining playing experience, but the year he took off gave him time to see how Div 1 basketball was played.  Say you you want, but Reid was a great [CENSORED] point guard.  And we havent had one since.  He didnt shoot too well, nor was every pass on the money, but NEVER was our offense standing around workin the ball around the horn.  For being 510, he had an uncanny left hand that would allow him to beat a man off the dribble and throw it up over 7 footers with the bucket and the foul.  If any body wonders what we are missing, just check Reids stats.  10+points and 6+ assists over a lifetime.  Plus, the dude tenacity on the court filled the arena with electricity...slap the floor....pull your shorts down....get in the oppositions kitchen.....thats how you do it in the SEC.
Think like a Jedi

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: Tomcat on January 21, 2006, 06:43:29 pm
Quote from: dirthog on January 21, 2006, 06:34:45 pm
how will hee ever adjust to the speed of the game if he gets no PT?
It's a catch-22 ain't it? Heath can't afford giving him the PT right now, b/c he realizes his job is hanging in the balance with each win/loss...
Right on the Mark, Stan needs his job more than he needs to break in this Freshman.

Adam Stokes

Just a small stat, when Mccurdy plays 11 or more minutes, we are 5-0.  When he plays less than 11 minutes, we are 8-5.

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: pigfeet on January 21, 2006, 10:52:57 pm
Quote from: Kevin on January 21, 2006, 06:13:57 pm
he cannot play at the sec level

I know this oppinion won't be popular, but I agree that McCurdy cannot play a full game at the SEC level. I don't think Jefferson should be running the point either. McCurdy's 2 turnovers in the Alabama game (in my oppinion) sparked their rally. So I somewhat agree.
The turnovers got Bama going,not question.I hope he pans out..but, I'm not holding my breath.

Temprees

Quote from: Pig in a Poke on January 22, 2006, 09:26:05 am
Quote from: nobballconcept on January 21, 2006, 06:18:27 pm
my ass he can't play in the SEC. if would get more minutes, he would make don'tell sit on the end of the bench. stan is making a statement.
In his brief stint against Bama.2 TO's lead directly to 5 points.I have not seen what people see in him.
What they see in him is his complexion.  His complexion is like theirs.  That's it.

Temprees

Quote from: ajs15razorman on January 22, 2006, 12:56:00 pm
Just a small stat, when Mccurdy plays 11 or more minutes, we are 5-0. When he plays less than 11 minutes, we are 8-5.
That proves the point.  You can play McCurdy against the cupcakes.  He struggles against the tougher teams.

Ugly Uncle

Tempress...your assessment of those of us that want to see McCurdy play more as being racist...is unfounded, unfair, and ignorant.

1.  Almost everyone of us list as our favorite PG of all time as Beck.  My favorite is actually Alvin Roberson.
2.  McCurdy is a scorer. (Jefferson is not)
3.  McCurdy has shown strong leadership skills.  More than I have seen from Jefferson
4.  McCurdy attacks the defense. (Jefferson does not)
5.  McCurdy doesn't pick up his dribble just past half-court. (Jefferson does)
6.  McCurdy makes some freshman mistakes...but he is a freshman.
7.  Jefferson makes many freshman mistakes...and he is a senior.
8.  The offense takes on the personality of the PG.  If you have seen a game in person and know anything about basketball you would know that we are much more active with him in the game.
9.  McCurdy plays hard every play.  Jefferson seems to take some plays off.

Before you throw out something STUPID like it is a race thing...try to learn something about basketball or the people you are talking about.  I'm not saying you are stupid, but what you said was.  You have no credibility.  At least I can respect Silvertip because he speaks to the topic and brings the other side of the argument.  You just make shallow accusations toward those that have different opinions.  Grow up.
Retired Radio Host

Adam Stokes

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 02:21:32 pm
Tempress...your assessment of those of us that want to see McCurdy play more as being racist...is unfounded, unfair, and ignorant.

1. Almost everyone of us list as our favorite PG of all time as Beck. My favorite is actually Alvin Roberson.
2. McCurdy is a scorer. (Jefferson is not)
3. McCurdy has shown strong leadership skills. More than I have seen from Jefferson
4. McCurdy attacks the defense. (Jefferson does not)
5. McCurdy doesn't pick up his dribble just past half-court. (Jefferson does)
6. McCurdy makes some freshman mistakes...but he is a freshman.
7. Jefferson makes many freshman mistakes...and he is a senior.
8. The offense takes on the personality of the PG. If you have seen a game in person and know anything about basketball you would know that we are much more active with him in the game.
9. McCurdy plays hard every play. Jefferson seems to take some plays off.

Before you throw out something STUPID like it is a race thing...try to learn something about basketball or the people you are talking about. I'm not saying you are stupid, but what you said was. You have no credibility. At least I can respect Silvertip because he speaks to the topic and brings the other side of the argument. You just make shallow accusations toward those that have different opinions. Grow up.

Although I agree greatly with what you are saying and believe Mccurdy is better for the position, you have to take a few things into account.  Jefferson leads the SEC in assists with 5.8 and has a Assist to turnover ratio of 2.39, which isn't bad at all.  Nonetheless, he isn't a great defender and cracks under pressure.  When the pressure is on McCurdy, he pops one from half-court.  Jefferson should play more than McCurdy because he is more experienced and we see McCurdy can get a little sloppy when he plays to much.  I think we should just play McCurdy more than he is now and Jefferson less, but when things get important, put in McCurdy.

Temprees

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 02:21:32 pm

1. Almost everyone of us list as our favorite PG of all time as Beck. My favorite is actually Alvin Roberson.
2. McCurdy is a scorer. (Jefferson is not)
3. McCurdy has shown strong leadership skills. More than I have seen from Jefferson
4. McCurdy attacks the defense. (Jefferson does not)
5. McCurdy doesn't pick up his dribble just past half-court. (Jefferson does)
6. McCurdy makes some freshman mistakes...but he is a freshman.
7. Jefferson makes many freshman mistakes...and he is a senior.
8. The offense takes on the personality of the PG. If you have seen a game in person and know anything about basketball you would know that we are much more active with him in the game.
9. McCurdy plays hard every play. Jefferson seems to take some plays off.

Before you throw out something STUPID like it is a race thing...try to learn something about basketball or the people you are talking about. I'm not saying you are stupid, but what you said was. You have no credibility. At least I can respect Silvertip because he speaks to the topic and brings the other side of the argument. You just make shallow accusations toward those that have different opinions. Grow up.

Lespaulhawg had the same assessment as I did. 

Just because you say that Beck is your favorite point guard of all time, has nothing to do with your current infatuation with McCurdy.  It is McCurdy's race that is driving many of the favorable assessments about McCurdy that I have seen on this board.  Either it is McCurdy's race, or the people making the assessment are ignorant about basketball, or blind.

By the way, I know more about basketball, than you will ever know. 

Ugly Uncle

Making a blanket statement is always illadvised. 

Blanket Statement 1:  We all are infatuated with McCurdy because he is white.  (Well, I just gave you reasons why I like McCurdy.  Nothing to do with race.)
Blanket Statement 2:  I know more about basketball than you ever will. (Well, since you don't know me, nor have you produced a resume, nor have you said something intelligent about this situation...)  Again, illadvised.

Try saying something with at least some degree of intelligence.  This, "You are all racist and I am smarter than you will ever be." Just isn't cutting it.  Next, are you going to tell me your dad can beat up my dad?  Come on...you can do better than that.
Retired Radio Host

TheSportsGuy

a lot of u make this way to deep and complicated...
*jefferson is a tall rangy guard.  he doesn't have a shooter's instinct, even though he has a good shot.
*he doesn't penetrate the defense real well because for one, he is tall, but somewhat slow.  if your tall, u have to at least be fast to be able to play the point(ronnie somewhat).  he doesn't have that great of speed to offset his height.  he will stay on the outside, feed the post, go set the occasional screen on the wing, and take a shot if he has to. this is where he gets his league-leading assists from.  but in turn, this makes the offense look really boring.
*sean is a point at heart.
*he is something new, which intruiges us
*he is shorter, can shoot the three sometimes (better chance than anyone else of making it)
*he is faster than dontell, and that along with his size, he can penetrate much easier, which he does. this makes our offense look really fun sometimes...remends us of the old days..kareem reid, mayberry, beck, ect..
*the game moves to fast for him at times, which is very evident. 
*gets out of control because he tries to do too much sometimes.  i love his attitude, and he is only a freshman. 
*maybe the best attribute he has is when he screws up, he doesn't back down whatsoever and will come at you with all he's got the next time around.  this makes me feel like he is a winner with confidence, which is something that is hard to teach.  that makes me feel like he can CONSISTENTLY play at this level.   but will need seasoning
***i think heath is doing the perfect job with playing time between him and dontell.  by the way, we don't see practice, but just the games.  we don't know what all is really going on.  it is deeper than just what u see in games.

Ugly Uncle

Sportsguy...now that was a reasonable logical argument.  Karma for you.
Retired Radio Host

Fletch

Quote from: silvertip on January 22, 2006, 11:16:18 am
Quote from: Fletch on January 22, 2006, 11:01:48 am
FYI...

But he has to be dead last in points scored. He does some good things but to me the honest truth is that we are deficient in talent at most guard spots other than Brewer. It's not a matter of who is the best on the team it's a matter of none of them being good enough. They are O.K. We will just never win anything big with them. We still have an overall talent deficiency despite the high school rankings of some of Heath's recruits.

I don't know if Dontell is "dead last" in scoring "among SEC PDs or not. Just to stir the pot, I'll say that he isn't. Why don't you go find the stats for SEC PG scoring & enlighten us? You can find the info at secsports.com

While you're at it, how about you check on RBing & steals for SEC PG, as well as FG%, and FT%. I would bet Dontell is among the top 5 overall SEC PGs when you consider all that. I moght do all that some day---not today.

I say DONTELL'S ONE OF THE TOP 5 SEC PGs. Someone prove me wrong.
So we have a top 5 SEC point guard, the best player in the SEC, and we still can't win. I suppose you think Steven Hill and Darian Townes are 2 of the best big men in the conference as well (despite the fact they get dominated inside by every other major team we play.) I love the hogs, but we have decent players and a decent team. Not real good, not real bad, but above average. Great PG's win games for their teams, other than Kansas DJ doesn't make plays. He's the football equivalent of "playing not to lose."
I feel like $100

johnny cash

We got a win with or without Mcurdy I believe that is the main subject.  We lack in Quality guard play.  If we could get constistancy from the low block or get someone that can hit the jumper from fifteen or so it will open up a outside game that Mcurdy could benefit from. He did turn the ball over some during the Alabama game.  Maybe that played a factor.  If someone could teach Townes and Hill to come down with the rebound and go back up strong, instead of playing tip drill we could open some kind of outside threat to open up our poor guard play.

Kevin

he cannot guard anyone in the sec.  i stand by the statement a recruiting guru told me "he cannot play in the sec."  this same guy told me ryan appleby could not play at florida.  i trust what he says.

if he could play, why didn't he play more against the cupcakes? 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 12:11:25 am

1. You are an idiot
2. You haven't watched any games this year
3. You have a hidden agenda

1. you are the idiot
2. I watch the games and he can't play, you need to learn the game.
3. Real fans unlike yourself don't have hidden agendas they just want the team to win. You would rather the football team lose to make nutt look bad, than the team to win and you having to give Nutt any credit.

Kevin

outside of his son name another point guard from that school.  mccurdy is NO bobby hurley.  remember hurley started every game at duke.

that is the problem if he is the best we are bad at that position.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 09:52:58 pm
Quote from: mi-ky on January 22, 2006, 09:34:59 pm

1. You are an idiot

1. you are the idiot
3. Real fans unlike yourself don't have hidden agendas they just want the team to win. You would rather the football team lose to make nutt look bad, than the team to win and you having to give Nutt any credit.

I have no hidden agenda. Nutt hasn't deserved any credit yet.
Back to McCurdy. He runs the offense better than anyone. He can play, you haven't been watching when he is in.

He plays no defense, he is slow, oh what is his assist to tunover  and what is DJ. I'm not saying DJ is a great PG, b/c he isn't, he sucks but he is better than McCurdy right now. McCurdy may never start for Arkansas, Irvin (sp) most likely will start next year and if we get Ramar Smith McCurdy won't see the starting lineup.

Ugly Uncle

I am kind of tired of this, "Real fans unlike you" stuff.  That is just ridiculous.  We are all huge fans on here or we wouldn't be posting and so passionate about it. 

Just because you support the coach no matter what doesn't make you a better fan.  IMO it makes you someone that settles for mediocrity.  I wouldn't call you "not a real fan."  How about we don't keep running down our own players.  I do, as I have stated, believe that McCurdy is much better than Jefferson and better than some of you are giving him credit for.  That isn't a hidden agenda...that is my opinion.

However, when you run down a player that most people can clearly see is better, it appears that you are only trying to defend the coach.  I'm not sure, but I think that is what notshavin was talking about.  It sometimes appear that your hidden agenda is trying to keep Heath from looking like he doesn't know what he is doing. 

I haven't heard anyone say that they hope we lose out so Heath will be fired.  I want the hogs to win.  I haven't been pushed off the cliff completely with Heath.  I do think he has to win this year or he probably will be gone.  I think McCurdy gives him the best chance.  See, no hidden agenda...it's out there for you to see.

Doesn't make me a better fan, and doesn't make you a worse one...let's keep things in perspective.
Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 10:33:54 pm
Quote from: mi-ky on January 22, 2006, 10:28:30 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on January 22, 2006, 09:52:58 pm
Quote from: mi-ky on January 22, 2006, 09:34:59 pm

1. You are an idiot

1. you are the idiot

I have no hidden agenda. Nutt hasn't deserved any credit yet.
Back to McCurdy. He runs the offense better than anyone. He can play, you haven't been watching when he is in.

He plays no defense, he is slow, oh what is his assist to tunover and what is DJ. I'm not saying DJ is a great PG, b/c he isn't, he sucks but he is better than McCurdy right now. McCurdy may never start for Arkansas, Irvin (sp) most likely will start next year and if we get Ramar Smith McCurdy won't see the starting lineup.

To compare STATS of DJ and Sean is dumb. McCurdy hasn't been given enough PT. Starting to sound to me like you are the one with the hidden agenda..

It's funny that people with hidden agendas always say others have hidden agendas! There is a reason he isn't getting playing time! OH let me guess, you know more about basketball and coaching than Heath! NO hidden agenda, your a funny dude!

Ugly Uncle

Either way Mi-Ky, you lose.  Either your hero can't recruit SEC type players, or You are wrong and he can't coach.  Jefferson, if he is better, which he is not, but if he is...is not that much better than McCurdy. I'm not sure what area you would think Jefferson was better in... McCurdy does run the team better in games...if you've seen them you would know.  If you've seen the games and you don't know that...then we have bigger issues to discuss than basketball knowledge.

Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 22, 2006, 10:36:13 pm
I am kind of tired of this, "Real fans unlike you" stuff. That is just ridiculous. We are all huge fans on here or we wouldn't be posting and so passionate about it.

Just because you support the coach no matter what doesn't make you a better fan. IMO it makes you someone that settles for mediocrity. I wouldn't call you "not a real fan." How about we don't keep running down our own players. I do, as I have stated, believe that McCurdy is much better than Jefferson and better than some of you are giving him credit for. That isn't a hidden agenda...that is my opinion.

However, when you run down a player that most people can clearly see is better, it appears that you are only trying to defend the coach. I'm not sure, but I think that is what notshavin was talking about. It sometimes appear that your hidden agenda is trying to keep Heath from looking like he doesn't know what he is doing.

I haven't heard anyone say that they hope we lose out so Heath will be fired. I want the hogs to win. I haven't been pushed off the cliff completely with Heath. I do think he has to win this year or he probably will be gone. I think McCurdy gives him the best chance. See, no hidden agenda...it's out there for you to see.

Doesn't make me a better fan, and doesn't make you a worse one...let's keep things in perspective.
I am tired of stuff just like this. If I or someone supports the coach then we accept mediocrity! WOW, are you serious. You said in your statment that it doesn't make you a better or worse fan and i totally agree. But don't act like if i support the coach or think that the coach actually knows more about his sport and coaching than people on this board than i'm some how wrong or miss informed or even have a hidden agenda. I'm not the one who started the hidden agenda crap, I don't care who plays. I really don't, just help us win. From what i have seen, DJ isn't that good, but he does have a good assist to turnover ratio. McCurdy IMO is slow, can't play defense (not to say he won't in time). Again if McCurdy started play 30 min per game fine, if it helps the team win. But please don't makes statements like I accept Mediocrity because I support the coach. You don't know me that well. I shouldn't have said the statement about "real fans unlike yourself". My bad. but i like you don't have a hidden agenda.

Mike Tencleve

January 23, 2006, 07:54:23 am #77 Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 08:00:57 am by mi-ky
Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 07:51:18 am
Either way Mi-Ky, you lose.  Either your hero can't recruit SEC type players, or You are wrong and he can't coach.  Jefferson, if he is better, which he is not, but if he is...is not that much better than McCurdy. I'm not sure what area you would think Jefferson was better in... McCurdy does run the team better in games...if you've seen them you would know.  If you've seen the games and you don't know that...then we have bigger issues to discuss than basketball knowledge.

Again people like you love to attack, but don't like it in return. I promise you i have watched the games, and to compare my knowledge of basketball to you!! Poor you. First I never said that McCurdy didn't do some things better than DJ. The one area that DJ is better is in experience and if you know sone much then you know that is very inportant part of the game. If you know so much than how did we as a program into this spot? Heath was behind the eight ball when he got here. If you look the SR class sucks, we as a program haven't recovered yet, i think we are heading in the right direction. My hero!! your funny, you say that as if you should take it as a cut down. Time will tell if he can get it done.

Ugly Uncle

I did say it was my opinion and my perception of the situation, that to continue to support a coach that is not getting the job done makes one look like one is settling for mediocrity.  I still do not think that makes me better or you worse.  Man, I am just glad my wife was willing to settle for mediocrity.

I do not think that I know more than the coach.  I do feel that he should play McCurdy more...so, maybe I am saying that...

However, I do feel that there are others out there that could do better than the two HC we have right now.  I do think Heath is improving, but not fast enough to get us back to a very competitive team in the next few years.  However, I haven't totally given up on him.  Maybe he can turn it around. HDN is another story...pushed me off the cliff and there is no going back...for obvious reasons....but enough about "the figure head".

I really do hope Heath turns it around....but McCurdy has clearly performed better (IMO) in games than Jefferson.  But, I will give you the point that we don't know what happens in practice.  Matt Jones never performed well in practice either.
Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

First, i will say it again, if McCurdy plays more i don't care. I don't have anyhing against the kid, nor do i have anything against DJ. I don't think either one of them are getting the job done. But I can say that about several players on this team. I don't feel that i'm a better fan then anyone else, i don't want anyone to think that at all. I agree we all love the hogs and want the best. IMO DJ plays more because of the fact that he has more talent and has more experience. I'm not saying he is doing so much more with it, just that he does have it.

hogfankb

I for one am a huge McCurdy fan. But I don't think he should be getting more PT than Jefferson.

McCurdy brings a spark off the bench on the offensive end. He penetrates well (even against a zone), he supposedly shoots well,and he is better on the ball defender than most think because he does play extremely hard but he has to to make up for his lack of athleticsm. He will get better at defense because he will learn to play defense with his heart/mind and not with just athletiscm. He does make freshman mistakes on both ends at times.

Jefferson makes the offense more stagnant because he doesn't move from the top of the key hardly at all. Doesn't penetrate or seem to move away from the ball after he passes it. On the other hand, he rebounds well for a PG which with this team needs during the stupid "cant get a rebound to save our life" lapses. He plays good defense because he has the length/athleticsm to contend shots that most PG cannot. He takes care of the ball but can't do anything on his own scoring wise.

Because these players are so completely different it makes it hard to determine who should get more PT. To me it is very situational. If the offense is having trouble going or when we are in one of our classic scoring slumps McCurdy should be in. The only problem with playing McCurdy in these situations is that if we are scoring we don't need to be giving up easy baskets on our defensive end which his turnovers can lead to.

I for one have liked the way stan has used them both. Bringing in McCurdy when we need a spark or when teams are not pressuring the ball as much(why he didn't play as much against auburn). Leaving dontell in when we need defense and ball control. McCurdy should be getting great experience going up against Ferguson/Ervin everyday in practice so he will be getting better every week.

DOGALUM

Regardless of who is better....etc...etc...........the topic of this thread was about McCurdy's 1 minute of playing time.  THAT....is stupid.  You have to give him more than 1 minute.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: DOGALUM on January 23, 2006, 11:42:27 am
Regardless of who is better....etc...etc...........the topic of this thread was about McCurdy's 1 minute of playing time. THAT....is stupid. You have to give him more than 1 minute.

Not even trying to make this a race discussion but you ever try to get in a pick up game at the hyper building on UofA campus being a shorter white guy?  It's almost impossible no matter how much skills you have.  It's the plain truth, which many will probably disagree with, that white people have to prove themselves more and create their own scoring opportunities on the court than your typical black (or afro american to be p.c.) basketball player who more than often jumps higher and plays with more style.  Unless you are a 7 ft. tall white dude you just aren't going to see the ball much.  That's why the John Stocktons and Bobby Hurleys of the world focus on their defense and assists.  Just my 2cents. 

hogsanity

Everyone relax.  McCurdy is  FR.  Not only that but he did not play much of his hs SR season last year either.  He gets torched on D all the time.  He WILL BE A GOOD PLAYER at the UA, but right now he just does not justify his playing over either DJ or EF.  Believe me, if STan feels his Job is on the line, he will put the players out there that he thinks gives them the best chance to win. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsrmyfav36

Temprees,

Saying that people are racist if they want McCurdy to have more playing time is an assinine argument.  The same argument could be made against your defense of Jefferson as the point guard.  Hands down the best player on the team is Ronnie Brewer and I think anyone and everyone will acknowledge that fact and he's not white.  Darrian Townes is our best inside threat to score and he's not white.  Hill is our best shock blocker and he is white.  Jefferson is repeating what he did last year.  He looked great against non-conference teams but choked during conference play.  RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.  It's about how the team performs when either point-guard is in the game.  To this point, Jefferson has shown more production but McCurdy shows flashes of greatness (and stupidity, he's only a freshman) that indicate he merits more playing time.
F&*!NG INTRANET

Ugly Uncle

Good to see you posting again hogsrmyfav. 

Great post.

Glad you are back.
Retired Radio Host

Ark Blitz

He can't guard anybody in the SEC.  He is lucky to get that 1 min.  He goes in the game and just runs around making turnovers.  And if you say he is better than Jefferson, then that is not saying much.  He has had his oppurtunities when he got into the game and he hasn't done anything.  It is a good thing that he came to U of A because if he was playing anywhere else no fans would want him in the game.

Ugly Uncle

Okay Blitz...if you aren't going to be serious...this topic needs to end.  You have no idea what you are talking about (if you were actually serious with that statement.)
Retired Radio Host

Ark Blitz

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 04:40:59 pm
Okay Blitz...if you aren't going to be serious...this topic needs to end. You have no idea what you are talking about (if you were actually serious with that statement.)

What has McCurdy done? 

nobballconcept

me thinks mi-key and arkblitz are really Dontell and Stan sitting in Stan's office posting when they should be learning how to not pick up a dribble at half court, fouling a three point shot with 10 seconds to go and allowing an assistant coach do the coaching and you just do the recruiting

Ugly Uncle

He sparks the offense.  He attacks the zone. He can shoot outside.  I am not saying that he hasn't made freshman mistakes, but he plays all out and brings energy to the team.  To say that he doesn't deserve even the one minute he got is just crazy.
Retired Radio Host

Ark Blitz

Quote from: nobballconcept on January 23, 2006, 04:44:45 pm
me thinks mi-key and arkblitz are really Dontell and Stan sitting in Stan's office posting when they should be learning how to not pick up a dribble at half court, fouling a three point shot with 10 seconds to go and allowing an assistant coach do the coaching and you just do the recruiting

You are real smart...You caught us.  Thanks for the lame tips also.  Let me guess the rest of you are McCurdy cousins.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: uglyuncle on January 23, 2006, 04:46:39 pm
He sparks the offense. He attacks the zone. He can shoot outside. I am not saying that he hasn't made freshman mistakes, but he plays all out and brings energy to the team. To say that he doesn't deserve even the one minute he got is just crazy.

I am sure this starting lineup would make you happy.  I don't think this lineup would make 1 mistake.  They would not pick up the dribble at half court, they wouldn't foul a three point shot with 10 seconds and they can shot the ball to get the other team out of a zone.

Sean McCurdy
Luke Allen
Preston Cranford
Steven Hill
Sammy Munsey

Ugly Uncle

He also shoots 83% from the line (Jefferson 65%)

He also hit .429 from 3's (Jefferson .211)

While looking at the stats I think we have a bigger issue to be discussing...Jefferson is second on the team in turn overs...but he does have 105 assist (with 44 T.O.) 

Modica has 45 T.O.'s compared to 26 assist.

In fairness McCurdy has 23 assist to 12 T.O.'s

Modica's stats are really out of whack!
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Blitz...you are just being idiotic now.  Throwing out the race card when you have no argument is inexcusable.

I have said that my favorite player is Charles Thomas....then R. Brewer...then McCurdy.  That is because I think they are our three best we have...and I like the way they play.

Maybe you are a racist since that is the only thing you can come with in this discussion.  That stuff just makes me sick.

I am sure that we have racist out there (on both sides), but this isn't the reason that I (and I think most) think McCurdy is worthy of more time.  It is because I have been to every single game (pre-season and during the season) that they have played at home.  I have watched every away game that was on T.V. and have listened to everyone that wasn't on the radio.  It is my humble opinion that McCurdy would give us a better chance to win.  That is all I care about.  It wouldn't matter what color the kid is.

Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

People lets not go there, i don't agree with uglyuncle, but to throw outthe race card? I don't think McCurdy is ready, but DJ isn't very good either. Uglyuncle i do agree with you about Modica, he IMO isn't a player that we can win on a big time level with. Very selfish, no defense, turnover waiting to happen.

Hey nobballconcept its mi-ky, and is that the best you got?

Ugly Uncle

January 23, 2006, 05:34:39 pm #96 Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 05:37:02 pm by uglyuncle
See Mi-ky...you know we are poles apart on this topic.  But you are right...lets keep it civil.

Modica is a T.O waiting to happen.  He is also only shooting 67% from the line.

Ferguson 61% from the line 34 assist...31 T.O.'s  Not exactly great.  29% from 3.

So, our guards cannot shoot FT's or shoot outside the 3....and besides Jefferson Turn the ball over more than they give assist (62 assist to 76 T.O.'s Modica and Ferguson combined.).  Wow, no wonder we can't win on the road...and barely at home.

Compared to those guys, Jefferson does look good.
Retired Radio Host

Mike Tencleve

Honestly i don't like any of the guards on this team ( except Brewer) We have one post player that is a very good defender and not much (but getting better) on offense and another post player that can't or won't play defense. We don't shoot the ball for shitttttttttttttttttte. Damn i'm not posting on this thread anymore, i'm getting depress.

Ugly Uncle

I think you may be right.  We should probably stop talking about why Jefferson gets more minutes than McCurdy and start talking about why Ferguson and Modica get more minutes than Jefferson and McCurdy.
Retired Radio Host

TDHog

Wow, I just recently registerd here (longtime poster at hawgville), and I am shocked at the anger some fans seem to have toward McCurdy,
He cannot play? He is Slow? He cannot defend? Are you serious?

I will base my opinion strictly on what his coach says, quote "Sean has proven in games and in practice he deserves more PT, I would like 15/35 or in some situations 20/20"

Sean has a tremendous basketball IQ, don't believe me, watch him bring the ball up agains a zone, he does not dribble the ball straight to the middle, but leans to one side, against a zone this forces the defense to shift, this is important because we are trying to get the ball to the high post, a cutter on the baseline, or the opposite wing.  A defense cannot cover those three options shifted to the ball side.  He also does not just stand there and swing the ball side to side, something that drives me crazy about Jefferson, he fakes a penetration, or actually penetrates, or fakes one way and swing the ball back.

Sean is also a great leader, go to a game, watch him bark out plays and orders, he gets the offense moving.

This "he cannot defend" stuff is bull at the first of the year yes, but the LSU game had 2 35 sec clock violations with tall shooting guards, guess who was in for both? McCurdy

He is slow - that is just stupid

what has he done?  Well in the LSU game our run from being down double digits started with a no look pass for a dunk, followed by his 3-pointer, follwed by his diving on the floor to recover the loose ball, after that our intensity magically picked up.

I think anyone who complains about McCurdy is doing so off of Alabama, yes he had a turnover - he must suck.  He did not turn it over twice against the press, just once where he was given Hill to help him break the press.  The pass to hill wasn't the best but hill did not help him out by coming to the ball.

The turnover at Auburn was not his fault it was a great pass, that Townes did not go up for (even the announcer said if Townes goes up for it, it's a dunk).

Those are the facts, no hidden agenda.  One passs in one game  does not determine a players worth, if anything Heath hurt him by not getting him back in sooner, I'd rather have his confidence strong than playing like he is afraid of makiing a mistake.