Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the End of this Search in Sight?

Started by moses_007, March 21, 2011, 03:35:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

March 21, 2011, 03:35:56 am Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:41:57 am by moses_007
When do you fellow Hogvillians think it will be over?  It's already in its second week and our nerves are on edge, we're losing a lot of sleep staying up to see if we can find out anything new, and sick to death of reading meaningless tweets on Twitter. We're also tired of sports writers in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas City giving out information that they can't substantiate about who our next coach is going to be.  How can these guys know when no one in Fayetteville or Little Rock knows?   I'm ready for the 4 p.m. presser, the big announcement day!  :razorback:

userpick

I wish it was ending soon. I guess if Anderson isn't introduced in the next couple of days, we will be looking hard at howland/Williams/Marshall/everyone else in the world. I don't think anyone outside of jeff long really knows what's going on.

moses_007

Quote from: userpick on March 21, 2011, 03:38:16 am
I wish it was ending soon. I guess if Anderson isn't introduced in the next couple of days, we will be looking hard at howland/Williams/Marshall/everyone else in the world. I don't think anyone outside of jeff long really knows what's going on.

Maybe only Jeff Long's hairdresser knows for sure.   ;D

userpick

Lol, I just don't think Anderson is our next coach. I really think we are going to get lucky and get a big-time hire. If Mike does come, however, I will be happy.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: userpick on March 21, 2011, 03:50:20 am
Lol, I just don't think Anderson is our next coach. I really think we are going to get lucky and get a big-time hire. If Mike does come, however, I will be happy.
I think Razorback Nation gets lucky as hell on one hire in getting CBP and now EVERYONE is an expert on coaching searches....one hire has spoiled the whole bunch....we got rid of what was the worst basketball coach since integration at the UA and now we won't be satisfied unless we hire the coach away from UCLA or Kansas...the two most hallowed names in college basketball....we are unbelievable
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

East Clintwood

The search will never end.  We're going to go in a totally different direction with the program.

This is the most interest that's been shown in Razorback Basketball in 10 years and JL has had his mind opened to new revenue and marketing possibilities.

Before next season, our marketing expert AD is going to turn our BB program into a TV reality show called Coaching With The Stars.   Various has-been and never-will-be stars from movies, tv, sports, or music the industries will be brought in to be guest coaches.  Pel, Stan, Dickie, and various other washed-up coaches will come in to work with the guest coaches behind the scenes and provide the actual coaching for the players.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

1highhog

I wish it was ending soon. I guess if Anderson isn't introduced in the next couple of days, we will be looking hard at howland/Williams/Marshall/everyone else in the world.

You said it perfectly right there, (I don't think anyone outside of Jeff Long really knows what's going on).  Not one poster on this Board know's 100% who the next Coach is going to be, and that's the facts, I wish we could get past the MA Rumors, I can't understand people losing sleep over this, it's going to run it's course and I would not want to see us make a quick hire, especially during this time of year when some Coaches may still be Coaching that we may want to talk to.  IMO, Mike is not the man we need as our Coach, he's a great guy and family man, will bring us an occasional big victory, a few sweet 16's, but that's not good enough for the Razorback Nation, anyone that's satisfied with that does not know Razorback Basketball.  I want our Program in the top 10to 15 every year, winning the West almost every year, face it, who should we have to Compete against in the West, no less than 2nd place every year.  We should Compete for the SEC Conference Championship and being a serious title Contender every 3to 5 years.  Mike Anderson has not progressed to that point, we need to look higher, if it cost more, so be it, we just need to keep in mind that we need to adjust CBP's payscale accordingly.

OrvilleRedenporker

We may not see anyone hired until after Kansas is eliminated or wins the tournament. This hire is important enough to wait and talk to anyone who's ever had an interest.

1highhog

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on March 21, 2011, 07:21:53 am
We may not see anyone hired until after Kansas is eliminated or wins the tournament. This hire is important enough to wait and talk to anyone who's ever had an interest.

^^^THIS^^^

MuskogeeHogFan

I would agree with this. But there isn't anything wrong with exercising some patience. I'm not a fan of hiring Mike Anderson for several reasons and I think we can do better. That being said, he is a huge upgrade over Pelphrey. But I would rather that we just take our time and get this hire as "right" as it can possibly be.
Go Hogs Go!

beebefootballfan

Considering Buzz Williams is the main guy no. It won't be over untill he loses.
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Unknown Hog

Quote from: 1highhog on March 21, 2011, 07:17:27 am
You said it perfectly right there, (I don't think anyone outside of Jeff Long really knows what's going on).  Not one poster on this Board know's 100% who the next Coach is going to be, and that's the facts, I wish we could get past the MA Rumors, I can't understand people losing sleep over this, it's going to run it's course and I would not want to see us make a quick hire, especially during this time of year when some Coaches may still be Coaching that we may want to talk to.  IMO, Mike is not the man we need as our Coach, he's a great guy and family man, will bring us an occasional big victory, a few sweet 16's, but that's not good enough for the Razorback Nation, anyone that's satisfied with that does not know Razorback Basketball.  I want our Program in the top 10to 15 every year, winning the West almost every year, face it, who should we have to Compete against in the West, no less than 2nd place every year.  We should Compete for the SEC Conference Championship and being a serious title Contender every 3to 5 years.  Mike Anderson has not progressed to that point, we need to look higher, if it cost more, so be it, we just need to keep in mind that we need to adjust CBP's payscale accordingly.

AMEN.  The quicker we put Anderson rumors behind us the better wde will be

Marshfieldhog

I'm thinking long wants to hire buzz williams, problem is the deeper he goes in the tourney the less likely that becomes

Razorpigg

Wont be over until Buzz loses, or Long decides he cant wait any longer. Im pretty sure MA isnt coming or we would have already heard something with some substance. FTR, I am good with either one, but would rather have "The Buzz"!

McBain

They played a clip on the radio this morning of Jeff Long at the press conference when Pel was fired where he said the coaching search could take until final four weekend.   

hoghiker

I don't like to write things that are stupid but I'm going to anyway. I see the situation being somewhat like high school prom. You want the best possible date. The smart, the beautiful, the curvy, but the young ladies have wants and needs of their own. The one you want says maybe, I'll tell you two days before prom. You're now in a bind. At some point you have to jump, you have to ask, because at some point the good ones are all taken. Then you go second tier ( I went for trashy, but that's a different subject) or get left out.

jmingram911

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2011, 07:29:36 am
I would agree with this. But there isn't anything wrong with exercising some patience. I'm not a fan of hiring Mike Anderson for several reasons and I think we can do better. That being said, he is a huge upgrade over Pelphrey. But I would rather that we just take our time and get this hire as "right" as it can possibly be.

Yes sir!!  Well stated, MHF!!

Blue35

Seems like Long said it would be about the time of the final four.

hog_fan

Didn't he say it could be final 4 weekend. It may, but it could be earlier

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2011, 07:29:36 am
I agree he is a great upgrade but getting too much attention because of his Nolan days and not because of what he has done since.  Hiring him would be kinda like marrying your ex-wife's less-attractive younger sister.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

longtimeHogfan

I'd like to wait for Buzz et al, but if an offer to Sexton for MA's services is out there, as Mike Irwin suggests, our search could be over within hours. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Ham Ham Pigelow

The coaching search will end when Marquette's season ends.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 21, 2011, 09:52:43 am #22 Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:55:07 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: BeoPig™ on March 21, 2011, 09:07:51 am
I agree he is a great upgrade but getting too much attention because of his Nolan days and not because of what he has done since.  Hiring him would be kinda like marrying your ex-wife's less-attractive younger sister.

Trust me, I too have my opinion on this hire and while I think he is a good BB coach, I think his hire presents a situation where there is less overall support as an entire fan base, than we might be able to achieve otherwise.

I believe we need to hire someone who has a "wow factor" or at least a "semi-wow" factor that doesn't bring with him any remembrances of the past. Some want Anderson and some don't, simply because of his past association with Nolan and all the baggage that brings with it. I'm not saying he is like Nolan, I'm just saying that he can't avoid the "association" and that leads to a potentially less galvanized, overall and enthusiastic support as we might achieve with someone with whom we haven't had a previous connection.

For the good of the program we need someone whose name alone boosts ticket sales and donations. It really has nothing to do with what Anderson has achieved or not achieved as a BB coach, but rather because of the baggage he carries due to his past association.

I really believe that we need a hire that the vast majority can get behind from the very beginning and not a hire that will leave the fan base split and therefore, in a "wait and see" mode before they render support either vocally or financially. I think that a Anderson hire certainly puts us in this particular position where many will slide into that "wait and see" mode, and that is precisely what we don't need to have.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

arrow30

WilsonHog

March 21, 2011, 09:56:53 am #24 Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:00:25 am by WilsonHog
My gut instinct is that Bernie Miklasz is right; this is business as usual for Mike, and he's going to stay at Mizzou.

However, even if that is the case the search could still conclude this week if Ben Howland wants the job and we can afford him.

Barring that, I agree that we're likely waiting on Buzz Williams. Th only way the search goes deeper is if Buzz covets the OU job more than ours.

HawgTrough

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 21, 2011, 05:01:45 am
I think Razorback Nation gets lucky as hell on one hire in getting CBP and now EVERYONE is an expert on coaching searches....one hire has spoiled the whole bunch....we got rid of what was the worst basketball coach since integration at the UA and now we won't be satisfied unless we hire the coach away from UCLA or Kansas...the two most hallowed names in college basketball....we are unbelievable

This post needs it own thread imo. I love the fire and passion but come on. The Pel fire wasn't well received in the coaching ranks, the last hiring process was a disaster, and the last decade has been forgettable to say the least. If we dont get Mike Anderson, im afraid at what this situation will turn into.
WPS

hog_fan

I think middle of next week at latest depending on Anderson. All but 4 teams should be done by then

HotlantaHog

If Ben Howland is the new target, UCLA is out of the tournament and presumably could be brought on before the NCAA action this week.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to wait on Buzz if Ben were available. Marquette plays Friday vs North Carolina, where a win wouldn't be shocking, and then Sunday vs. Ohio State/Kentucky. If Buzz is the target, next week would be the earliest he could be approached/negotiated with.

I am taking it from Hogville that Bill Self has told people he is not interested.

jkhamhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 21, 2011, 09:56:53 am
My gut instinct is that Bernie Miklasz is right; this is business as usual for Mike, and he's going to stay at Mizzou.

However, even if that is the case the search could still conclude this week if Ben Howland wants the job and we can afford him.

Barring that, I agree that we're likely waiting on Buzz Williams. Th only way the search goes deeper is if Buzz covets the OU job more than ours.

Bernie is one my favorite writers (big Cardinals fan), and he usually has a better pulse of the situation than anyone.  I think he gets it---there's a reason Mike is a coveted coach (Mizzou is #10 in the NCAA in wins over last 3 years), but there's a lot of downside to injecting himself in the internal turmoil at the UA. 
Kirk Lazarus: I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!