Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Letter to Jeff Long

Started by Biggus Piggus, December 10, 2010, 10:51:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenPigsFly

Let us know when you get a response from Long.  I'm still waiting from last spring expressing concerns about the basketball program.  I emailed the same thing to Gearhart and got a repy within a couple of days.

chicub23

I was under the impression that the coaches set up the schedules.....I could be wrong though

azhog10

Quote from: chicub23 on December 13, 2010, 03:34:24 pm
I was under the impression that the coaches set up the schedules.....I could be wrong though

You are correct. Sole responsibility of the staff.

dsims2k3

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on December 12, 2010, 11:20:55 pm
Sorry, I didn't mean to "chastise you".  Morgan State is in Baltimore, and their coach is Todd Bozeman, who took over at Cal years ago, and lead Cal over Duke in the NCAA Tourney.  The same Bozeman who had recruiting problems with the NCAA etc....

As for the other comments you made out of frustration, no big deal man, I understand. 

When I registered on Hogville, I didn't realize that having a KU moniker would render me an outcast here.  I thought I might be judged by the quality of my posts rather than the content of my moniker.
That's deep. +1
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: Breems on December 12, 2010, 11:14:52 pm
I'd venture to say he's more of a Hog fan than you are, at least from how you both represent yourself on Hogville, Mr. Let's Get Rid of Jump Ball But I Really Care About Hog Basketball.

Breems-

What is the point of this forum?  All the cards are on the table.  My point was that, it is pointless for me to argue daily that Pel will never succeed, just as it is pointless for you to argue that he will.  Who knows?  Pelphrey will either make it or he won't.  Some, like yourself want him to stay, you may be correct.  I think, it's a miracle he is still here.

I love the Hogs and I'll actually be happy if Pelphrey succeeds in the long run, but I would also be shocked.

We can just disagree for now.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it, I hope you will do the same.
#FreeMarquel

g.lynn

According to Pomeroy   http://www.kenpom.com/ 
the Hogs strength-of-schedule currently ranks 75th but their non-conference strength-of-schedule ranks 298.  IMO, if they get more than 14 wins, it will be seen as improvement. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

LizardHog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on December 10, 2010, 12:05:35 pm
Again they aren't going to schedule high level teams when we don't have high level talent.

Another aspect that the coach is in charge of.  It is obvious the basketball program is in trouble with Pel in charge, he is in way over his head.  The Arkansas basketball program is an elite job and needs to have a coach who understands that and can handle that.  Clearly Pel is not the guy for this job.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: g.lynn on December 15, 2010, 08:49:32 pm
According to Pomeroy   http://www.kenpom.com/ 
the Hogs strength-of-schedule currently ranks 75th but their non-conference strength-of-schedule ranks 298.  IMO, if they get more than 14 wins, it will be seen as improvement. 

You are not reading that right.  Arkansas's schedule strength is 322nd.  Nonconference only (some teams have played conference games already), 318th.
[CENSORED]!

g.lynn

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 16, 2010, 02:12:37 pm
You are not reading that right.  Arkansas's schedule strength is 322nd.  Nonconference only (some teams have played conference games already), 318th.

I stand corrected.  They were ranked 75th with strength-of-schedule at 322 and 318, respectively.  But thats only with 345 COLLEGE BBALL TEAMS!
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

WhenPigsFly

So, Biggus, did you ever get a response from Jeff Long?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on December 10, 2010, 12:05:35 pm

Again they aren't going to schedule high level teams when we don't have high level talent. 

Why don't we have the talent to play with the big boys?

ANSWER: Coach Pel, didn't do his job.

HF#1

Quote from: Cajun Hog on December 25, 2010, 07:48:14 pm
Why don't we have the talent to play with the big boys?

ANSWER: Coach Pel, didn't do his job.

I agree.  While there have been some unforeseen issues, it falls on him. I think I posted that before I actually jumped off the Pelphrey bandwagon.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

azhog10

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on December 12, 2010, 10:37:05 pm
Embarrassed when the Hogs lost to Morgan State, or embarrassed you didn't know anything about them?  Hindsight says that game should not have been scheduled, but then again, nobody was counting on suspensions and so forth ..... now ..... rule of thumb .....
You don't buy games vs. teams who can beat you, and Arkansas figured that out, hence this year's home non-conference schedule everyone seems to be bagging on, and rightly so.  The non-con home schedule is bogus, boring, and RPI-killing, but obviously the decision was made to buy wins to upgrade the overall record.

In 2008-09, Morgan State finished 23-12 and lost to Oklahoma in the NCAA Tournament.  In 2009-10, Morgan State went 26-9 and lost to West Virginia in the NCAA Tournament.  They were far from a slouch, unlike some of the other teams you should have referenced. 

Unfortunately, given the present climate here, you can't fill the stands and generate true interest playing the SEMO's of the world, so it's a bit of a catch-22 at this point.
Hogs are 6-1, granted vs. a weak schedule to now.  Opponents are going to get much tougher when you look at Texas A&M, Texas, and the SEC East.  This Hog team still has games to play that can legitimize them as a basketball team; if they win the majority of them, making the early part of the schedule a long-lost memory.
There are still High Major schools we could have played who we are better than or give us a good measure of where we are. If you thought the SEC would be this bad then you know you have a chance to win some games in SEC play. So you schedule games against major conference schools to help you come tourny time. Obviously by this schedule Pel packed it in before the season started and we should have all seen this coming.

Porkatarian

The premise of this whole thread is wrong.  Jeff Long doesn't make mistakes.  Just ask anybody who works in the BAC.  Heck, just ask Jeff himself.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Buck Brewer

December 28, 2010, 03:06:25 pm #64 Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:08:39 pm by SherlockHog
Some are giving Jeff Long too much credit for Petrino. He ignored his first advances torward us and chased after Wake's Grobe and Clemson's Bowden only to be used for contract leverage. Petrino then presented himself again and it took his agent using an Arkansas based agent to get in contact with a BOT member for Long to wake up. If it were up to Long we'd have Muschamp as coach. Always remember that Remember Petrino persued us, Long didn't persue Petrino.

And back to Biggus's points, And have the audacity to charge 25 a ticket for this mess of a schedule.

99toLife

Quote from: SherlockHog on December 28, 2010, 03:06:25 pm
Some are giving Jeff Long too much credit for Petrino. He ignored his first advances torward us and chased after Wake's Grobe and Clemson's Bowden only to be used for contract leverage. Petrino then presented himself again and it took his agent using an Arkansas based agent to get in contact with a BOT member for Long to wake up. If it were up to Long we'd have Muschamp as coach cause.Always remember that Remember Petrino persued us, Long didn't persue Petrino.

That's the difference between Football and Basketball...nobody that's anybody WANTS to come here to coach basketball...it will take a big bag of guaranteed money!

Buck Brewer

Quote from: 99toLife on December 28, 2010, 03:10:16 pm
That's the difference between Football and Basketball...nobody that's anybody WANTS to come here to coach basketball...it will take a big bag of guaranteed money!

You'd be surprised at who would coach at Arkansas. People are still reading what happened last time way wrong.

99toLife

December 28, 2010, 03:16:27 pm #67 Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:42:27 pm by 99toLife
Quote from: SherlockHog on December 28, 2010, 03:14:18 pm
You'd be surprised at who would coach at Arkansas. People are still reading what happened last time way wrong.

Okay- Who wanted to coach here after Nolan, After Heath, After Altman and who will WANT to coach here after Pel...   Surprise me...

nextlevel

Quote from: 99toLife on December 28, 2010, 03:16:27 pm
Okay- Who wanted to coach here after Nolan, After Heath, After Altman and who will WANT to coach here afrter Pel...   Surprise me...

Yeah, we can't do better than Pel, when he got here all people wanted was for us to beat mid-majors.

The SEC needs to enact rules for Arkansas' special circumstance, every player plays an equal amount of time and the score is not kept as all the kids on the court are winners.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell