Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ty Waller's performance

Started by Pigonometry, February 20, 2010, 09:15:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigonometry

Just finished watching the game on my DVR.  Waller's preformance today reminded me of the game down there in 1995.  We took our NC team into Auburn and that little white guard named Lance Weems went off from the three-point line and had 35.

Gotta hand it to Auburn today -- they shot out of thier minds.  I really felt like we played better today than in some of the games that we have won.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Arazorbackguy1

Give it up for the True Freshman in Marshawn Powell.  Basically matched the output from Waller.  If the coaching had been worth a dang, we would have locked down Waller like most teams lock down Clarke. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

tiber

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 20, 2010, 10:00:12 pm
Give it up for the True Freshman in Marshawn Powell.  Basically matched the output from Waller.  If the coaching had been worth a dang, we would have locked down Waller like most teams lock down Clarke. 

Fish tacos are great with a little white sauce, but the tomatillos have to be fresh and the tortillas can't be cold or mushy.

DoubleJ

Was Lance Weems left wide open all game long?

cubsfan5150

Can you post some examples of where the COACH screwed things up?
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

revolution

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on February 20, 2010, 10:40:21 pm
Can you post some examples of where the COACH screwed things up?

How about after the guy hits two early on, you assign Britt to shadow him at all times?  I know, I know, it's a crazy idea . . . but if we took Auburn by surprise, it just might work!  You know, do something they don't expect - LIKE PLAY SOME FREAKIN' DEFENSE! 

Yes, we're better this year.

Yes, we sucked tonight defensively.

And there's no excuse for that.

Marshfieldhog

Its funny teams can shut clarke down but we can't shut their 3 shooter down..coaching anyone?

31to6

Be fair. Auburn was using a very sophisticated "passing the ball" style offense that got them tons of wide open looks. Pel will get all over this "passing the ball" thing soon and we'll be just fine.

Hater.

songofthesword

god damn some of you know jack darn about basketball.

pel's probelm is a catch 22.

his best player is actually his worst defender

fortson is HORRIBLE on defense. why do you think britt guards the point guard?

half the time waller was open it was fortson's fault.

when they took the lead off his last 3, forston left him to go double down on a man and they swung it right back to him and he hit a 3.

when he hit the last 2 pointer he blew right by fortson and fortson just stood there and watched the ball go up.

forston is a hell of a player, but you can't blame pel for this performance.

it's like the kid on SNL that keeps saying "FIX IT!"

OUR DEFENSE was sound today. some of our defensive players weren't.

defensive principles aren't hard to teach. a junior high kid can play sound defense if he has a good coach. regardless of the level the fundamentals stay the same. the only thing i would have done differently is switch on all screens and don't guard their men out past the three point line. they bank on getting by your guard and making the defense collapse.

that's why Washington had like 5 charges. he played good today.

we might have to go to a zone just to keep teams from exploiting fortson. I mean if you actually sit and watch him play defense, any real offensive threat he's toast.

mmhogs17

its not as easy to lock someone down as it sounds and its not easy when most of arkansas guards are vertically challenged.

Niels Boar

There is really no excuse for surrendering a 72% effective FG percentage (1.2+ points per possession) to a 3-8 team. The D has been steadily getting worse the last three games.  We didn't play much D against USC either, but we didn't need to.   At the very least we should have been able to make someone besides Waller beat us in the second half.

DoubleJ

Quote from: songofthesword on February 21, 2010, 12:48:26 am
god damn some of you know jack crap about basketball.

pel's probelm is a catch 22.

his best player is actually his worst defender

fortson is HORRIBLE on defense. why do you think britt guards the point guard?

half the time waller was open it was fortson's fault.

when they took the lead off his last 3, forston left him to go double down on a man and they swung it right back to him and he hit a 3.

when he hit the last 2 pointer he blew right by fortson and fortson just stood there and watched the ball go up.

forston is a hell of a player, but you can't blame pel for this performance.

it's like the kid on SNL that keeps saying "FIX IT!"

OUR DEFENSE was sound today. some of our defensive players weren't.

defensive principles aren't hard to teach. a junior high kid can play sound defense if he has a good coach. regardless of the level the fundamentals stay the same. the only thing i would have done differently is switch on all screens and don't guard their men out past the three point line. they bank on getting by your guard and making the defense collapse.

that's why Washington had like 5 charges. he played good today.

we might have to go to a zone just to keep teams from exploiting fortson. I mean if you actually sit and watch him play defense, any real offensive threat he's toast.

Uh, let's see.  Pel is the one that had Fortson (a horrible defender) guarding the hottest shooter on the court.  I'd say that falls squarely on his shoulders.

What's with all the "you don't know basketball posts?"  Just because someone has a different opinion than you does not mean that they don't know basketball.

songofthesword

because the fact that you are blaming pel for forston picking up a man in transition, shows you don't' know crap about basketball.

and i don't care about pel either way. but some of this crap is just funny it's so bad i'm reading.

DoubleJ

February 21, 2010, 01:13:57 am #13 Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 01:19:18 am by DoubleJ
Quote from: songofthesword on February 21, 2010, 01:05:50 am
because the fact that you are blaming pel for forston picking up a man in transition, shows you don't' know crap about basketball.

and i don't care about pel either way. but some of this crap is just funny it's so bad i'm reading.

The fact that you said our defense was sound today shows that you don't know crap about basketball.

See how easy that is?

And when did I blame Pel for Fortson picking up a man in transition???

Danny J

Quote from: Niels Boar on February 21, 2010, 01:01:41 am
There is really no excuse for surrendering a 72% effective FG percentage (1.2+ points per possession) to a 3-8 team. The D has been steadily getting worse the last three games.  We didn't play much D against USC either, but we didn't need to.   At the very least we should have been able to make someone besides Waller beat us in the second half.
Yes and we have quit the press all together. We have done a little 3/4 court press but thats about it. When we used the trapping press against ole miss and georgia it seemed to work very well. Pelphrey has got to do a better job of scouting teams. Transition D has to be sound when playing a team like auburn that likes to quickly jack up alot of 3's. Our players must learn to find 3 point shooters in transition.

Niels Boar

Quote from: headhawg7 on February 21, 2010, 02:10:19 am
Yes and we have quit the press all together. We have done a little 3/4 court press but thats about it. When we used the trapping press against ole miss and georgia it seemed to work very well. Pelphrey has got to do a better job of scouting teams. Transition D has to be sound when playing a team like auburn that likes to quickly jack up alot of 3's. Our players must learn to find 3 point shooters in transition.

The D was lousy in the first half against UGA but very good the second half.  We started attacking, perhaps out of necessity to cut the lead, their weakness in ballhandling.  The disappointing aspect of this game is that the D got even worse the second half.  We scored 47 points in the second half and lost ground.  Not a single Auburn player who shot the ball more than once had an eFG% below 50%.  Pitiful.

That said, any critical analysis has to recognize the role of the officials.  Relative to the first game, there was a swing of 37 FTAs in FT difference against us.  Both teams were in the same neighborhood of percentage of trey attempts to total FG attempts.  Auburn shot less treys but still 40% of their total.  Just ridiculous.  Auburn got a lot of even-up for losing an overtime game in which they shot 19 fewer FTs.  Just call the games fair in both houses.

songofthesword

Quote from: DoubleJ on February 21, 2010, 01:13:57 am
The fact that you said our defense was sound today shows that you don't know crap about basketball.

See how easy that is?

And when did I blame Pel for Fortson picking up a man in transition???
we gave up 80 points. who in the hell said we had sound defense?

our defense was horrible becuase of the people playing it.

31to6

I have noticed that Pel does a pretty good job of adjusting to the opposing coaches moves but does a poor job of recognizing and adjusting to the 'hot hand' and the referees. It's almost like he says "this guy shoots 39%, so if he's made 5 of 7 he will miss 4 of the next 5". But we all know that bball doesn't work that way and you have to recognize when someone is heating up and do something to change that.

For another example, why did he keep having guards driving into the lane in the first MSU game when Vanardo had demonstrated that he was going to a) block everything and b) do it without getting fouled. Pel fed him 4 or 5 blocks he never should have gotten in that game.

I could be horribly wrong, but that's how it seems from my limited perspective.