Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB change?

Started by John Futrall, October 16, 2005, 05:38:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

John Futrall

KNWA was reporting tonight that HDN may have a QB change for upcoming games......

Sounds like Mortenson MIGHT have a shot this week against the Dawgs..

TulsaHogFan

Frick Mort, no offense but come on, GIVE DICK A CHANCE NUTT!!

I wanted to say that but i honestly would love to see Casey get some PT

Boared

What would it hurt? The season's over and for you eternal optimists, you know it will be after the Georgia game. If not Mort, why not Barthel or Dick?

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: mikeyg31 on October 16, 2005, 05:38:10 pm
KNWA was reporting tonight that HDN may have a QB change for upcoming games......

Mort is probably a good kid but he is no better than Johnson. We've seen him in mop up and he actually is probably worse than RJ.

94 Hawg

Quote from: mikeyg31 on October 16, 2005, 05:38:10 pm

why, is something wrong?  ;)
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

ThisTeetsTaken

Makes no sense to keep the redshirt on Dick if you're expecting MM to start immediately.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SultanofSwine

Fish will probably get the start in hopes that the GA defense can't find his little ass. Can they run the draw with Hillis toting Fish?

The Max Swineberg 7

Mort returning to his home state as a starter for the Hogs?

It will not matter who starts a QB against Georgia.  We will lose....and lose big.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

Adam Stokes

Mortensen Stats.

Pass Completions  5
Pass attempts     16
Yards                 58
Pass Percentage  31.3
Yards per Pass     3.63
TD's                   1
Interceptions       2
QB Rating           57.3

I think some of these stats are because he never really has a chance to work the offense, but they aren't anything to brag about.  I think RJ is better than Mort, and we should stick with RJ unless we burn some redshirts.

kremlinhog

two choices, either nutt is afraid to admit he was wrong about johnson or those other qbs are actually worse (is that possible).
i really expected to see another qb late since johnson looked so bad last night. tells me alot that no other one got a chance.]
i always thought mortensen was recruited on name only.

Bacons Rebellion

I think it's time to try somebody different. QB is the weak link.

This was game 6 of year 3 for RJ. R. Johnson is now exactly halfway through his 5 years and this is what we've gotten so far. He's had spring practices, fall practices, and in- season work last year when MJ was hurt and not practicing. He's not learning. You can argue no one's teaching, but it's irrelevant to the present season.

As long as I can remember Hog fans have been crying for the second team quarterback, whoever it was  -- Jackson for Jones, Taylor for Jones, Scanlon for Calcagni, Ferguson for Montgomery, (honestly, I can remember playing with trains on the living room floor while my uncle was complaining about Marshall, whom I liked because I liked because he had a neat cowboy sounding name -- hurt my little feelings a bit, it did!). I have usually stayed with wanting the first team guy (notable exception for Pete Burks), but RJ has given me no reason to believe he can improve enough.

The coaches said how he distanced himself in fall practice, but that was practice and sometimes you just need a gamer -- which would to me suggest Barthel, but I haven't seen them so I don't really know.

kremlinhog

bacon you are right, as an earlier post said the fans favorite player is the second string qb till he gets in the game. but it cant be argued its time for someone else. i feel badly for the others, what other evidence do you need to try someone else.

yraciv

I enjoyed seeing Clarke Moore, Brett Goode, and Casey Dick on the bench together in that order.  Last name is the key.

Cajun Hog

It doesn't matter who the QB is, we don't have one until next year.

TheSportsGuy

robert did throw better than any of the other qb's during the spring and the first two open practices.  wasn't even a comparison, except for Dick.  he held his own. dick has a really good throwing motion and has a really good football brain, which robert will never have.  there was an old retired coach at the 2cd open practice.  i don't know his name, but even the arkansas coaches would call and talk to him on the sidelines during practice.  he was a somebody.  we talked and he told me that even if mm comes to the hill, dick will make everybody forget about mm.  he said he would be that good.  it kind of excited me.  GIVE CASEY DICK A CHANCE.

Feralhog

Quote from: kremlinhog on October 16, 2005, 07:45:24 pm
two choices, either nutt is afraid to admit he was wrong about johnson or those other qbs are actually worse (is that possible).

Exactly what in HDN's past would have anyone think he's good at evaluating players and getting the right ones on the field?  There is no rhyme or reason to anything this man does.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Bucksnort

HDN "we're just gonna look at it hard" . . . no kidding.  But what the hell do we have to turn to?  Storm clouds a'brewin on 'da Hill.

HogBall94

Quote from: PulledPork on October 16, 2005, 10:37:43 pm
Sports Guy,
Did you say "Dick held his own"?? :o
Ha HA that is FUNNY ;D ;D

BigPapaHawg

Hell yeah, let's give Mortenson or any of our other QB's a chance, because it's way to late to finally make a move at QB. We sure have wasted a few to many games on RJ!    :(
WOO PIG

Doyle Hograves

Yeah, RJ sucks BAD... I think my daughter has a better grasp on what a QB should actually do than RJ. Fumbled snaps, INT's, taking a sack... heck, last year in the GA game he stood there in the North end zone and took three straight sacks. Hello... get rid of the ball. If he's the best we have, then how did any of the other QB's get a college scholarship offer?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

vbgonz46

October 17, 2005, 12:14:36 am #20 Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 12:24:05 am by vbgonz46
difference in HDN scheme??? your kidding.. I think most of you are missing what the real problem is.. Here are a few random questions for you..

Why is David Tompson playing 70% of the game??
Why isn't Monk in the game every play??
Why does Nutt change alteast two players every play??
Why isn't Hillis in the game every offensive play??

Robert Johnson is not the problem. When have you seen RJ completley not see, or miss an open WR?? I don't recall seeing it..
It goes deeper than who is playing QB.. Its being able to setup a pass play to get WR's open. If they aren't open how can RJ complete a pass? Every time you see him almost get a throw picked is because he has NOBODY open and he is trying to force and make a play.. RJ has good enough poise and decent enough accuracy to be an SEC QB, it WILL NOT matter who is playing QB because of HDN jr. high offensive scheme... Peyton Manning couldn't save this offense in HDN's system.. Very predictable, elmentary, defensive coordinators dream.. HDN is a terrible X and O's person..
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

dirty stanchez

RJ has made some bad decisions, but he isn't the reason why we suck.

I've actually seen him use his athleticism to get us out of sticky situations.

You're right, vbgonz46, Rojo ain't the problem.  It starts at the top.

FIRE THE OC!!!!!  I'm not too happy about the HC either!!!!

vbgonz46

Thank you 

Also, in 2nd and 3rd down situations it would be hard for ANY QB to make a play when he only has 2 and sometimes 3 wr's to throw to when the defense is expecting the obvious.. HDN needs to get 4 to 5 different options to thow to.. 5 yard outs and passes to the flats 9 times out of 10 wont convert 3rd and 6,7+ers'.. The shceme is to simple for SEC defenses and its not RJ's fault he doesen't get the opportunity to have open WRs to throw to.

razorback4life

Sending out only 2 WRs on 3rd and 20 doesn't seem to help much.  Consistantly throwing behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and long doesn't help either

vbgonz46

I noticed it was edited, if fixed it, thanx

dirty stanchez

It's funny how we throw passes of less than five yards on a consistent basis when we have a TB who runs for eight yards on a consistent basis.

Hmmm....

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Thehammer on October 16, 2005, 10:56:31 pm
Quote from: BigPapaHawg on October 16, 2005, 10:50:20 pm
Hell yeah, let's give Mortenson or any of our other QB's a chance, because it's way to late to finally make a move at QB. We sure have wasted a few to many games on RJ! :(

It would be foolish to waste Casey Dick on this lost season. He's had no reps in practice and to play him now would just destroy his confidence.

Do you honestly think that Casey Dick is going to have a chance to start in two years with MM in the mix?  Come on, i keep hearing that GM will be taking over the offensive play calling.  Who do you think will run the system better?  Casey Dick a RS Sophmore starting his second year with GM, or MM starting his what 6th?

CarolinaHog1176

there's an article today that says that Nutt's going to reevaluate the QB position to make sure that we've got the best people on the field.  as I read through the article it frustrated me for several reasons.

1.  yea, RJ hasn't looked the part of an SEC QB, but HDN makes it sound like it's ALL on RJ that he's not making plays...  how about the bonehead play calling that frequently gets our offense into 3rd and long?  how about the 1 WR routes that the defense quadruple teams???  I like HDN, but he's a freakin' retard when it comes to running an offense.

2.  here's a quote from HDN:  "We tried to come out throwing, mixing it up and you've got to be able to handle that.  Last year's quarterback would've handled it (MJ)."  alright, it was nice to have MJ but that's in the past.  you can't dwell on what you used to have or you'll never make any progress.  plus, he just took whatever confidence RJ had left and squished it under his foot.

3.  and another quote:  "Right now, we'll just look at it hard and try to do what's best for our team."  and my answer:  PUT YOUR EGO TO BED AND HIRE A FREAKIN' OC
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

AFWarrior83

It's a little late to make a switch after we are already pretty much done for! I miss Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hogville member since 2005.

Boarcephus

Once again, let's throw the blame everywhere but where is truly belongs.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

AFWarrior83

I just wish Herring would knock Nutt on his arse!

Hog1751

Nutt's playcalling does suck it sucks major arse, but we have to have a better QB than Johnson. Its not all on Johnson but your QB should not be hitting recievers in the back during a game. I want a change at QB even if it means pulling a redshirt even though 5-6 is the best we can hope for, maybe a different QB would give us a chance in the other 2. Im at a loss but Im ready to see a different QB, even if it's Mortensen.

AFWarrior83

I just think why not give the other guys some reps in a real game, since we are done for this year anyways...

Boarcephus

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on October 17, 2005, 06:58:19 am
I just think why not give the other guys some reps in a real game, since we are done for this year anyways...

No doubt.  This season has gone down the tubes in a hurry.  To put it in perspective, we've started the 4th quarter and we're down about 42-7.  A comeback is possible but not probable.  Get the others some reps.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoggystyle78

And this took our genius precious only 6 games into the season to figure out that ROJO isn't the best choice we have at QB, what a freakin embicile! and once again the blame is put everywhere but where it should be, on that dumbass that is sending our beloved football program even deeper into the toilet!

LA HAWG

What is the deal.  I mentioned three weeks ago that we should look at other guys at QB and everyone on here jumped on me like I was stupid.  How long does it take everyone to realize this should have been done.

Tomhog™

HDN will never start Casey and here's my tremendously deep insight about this.  There are already two Nutts in the game, if we started Dick, we'd not only be the lauging stock by getting pounded daily, but also to the references of Nutts and their Dick. LOL

A-Town Hog Fan

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 16, 2005, 06:06:12 pm
Fish will probably get the start in hopes that the GA defense can't find his little ass. Can they run the draw with Hillis toting Fish?

That is funny as hell.
Lord help us all!

A-Town Hog Fan

We could win some games if we had a QB.  I honestly do not think that Johnson could start for many High School teams.  He is horrible.  We should have been up 28-0 at the half.  It is time for a change.
Lord help us all!