Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Thoughts on the Hogs and Malzahn.

Started by Nutts and Bolts, October 16, 2005, 01:50:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nutts and Bolts

I am a first time poster but a regular reader.  I am impressed with the ideas thrown around here and just wanted to add my .02 cents.  I am a graduate of the U of A and have followed the hogs for as long as i can remember.  I am 45 yo and can remember listening to the Hogs on the radio as a little boy.  I have old video tapes of Hog Baseball, basketball, football etc. dating way way back. Even have Oliver Miller paying in the Whataburger H.S. Basketball game.  Yea, that was a while back.. I can remember being stationed in Germany and watching the Hogs play on Armed Forces TV. OMG what a proud fan i was telling all my buddies i am a hog fan.  I remember being camped out in Northern Saudi Arabia in Tent city waiting for the command to come down that we (America) were about to start the Ground assault and then saying to myself, "Oh NO, The Hogs are about to play Arizona in Basketball on Armed Forces Radio Network at 2am and i am going to miss the live broadcast". I have a Razorback Tattoo on my right calf. What a proud way to support MY University.  I have so many great memories of the Hogs.. Like sitting in Reunion Arena and watching the Hogs, going to The Cotton Bowl and watching the Hogs, Going to Texas Stadium and watching the Hogs distroy SMU right before they got the Death Penalty. (Freddie Childress was man-handling the SMU D-Line all game long).
I have sooooooooooooooooooooo many memories......I worked for a company that took me all over the Southeast and was doing well but i made excuses to my wife that "We really, really need to move back to Arkansas and start our own business" Wink-Wink... She agreed and well, to say i was happy would be an understatement.  I just wanted to be in Northwest Arkansas so that I could be around MY Hogs...  It Worked....Heck, just to be closer I became a USA Track and Field Official just so I could be closer.  I get to Officiate all the Track and Field Meets that the Hogs compete in and could not be happier.  I keep up with the  Hogs program religiously. 

And Now, my assessment of the Football program. 
As we all know, Our State is smaller (population) than ALL the other SEC States and therefore our selection of recruits is smaller.  We cannot rely on just Arkansas to get what we need.  IT can be done.  Look at Norman, OK.  Very much like Northwest Arkansas.  They do not have anything more to offer a recruit than Fayetteville.  It is all about The Head Coach and his staff to show and convince a kid that he NEEDS to be here.   It is all about The coaching Staff, Facilities, and style of Offence AND Defence. Kids want to play and just as important, they want to WIN.  As mentioned before, The U of A is already at a natural disadvantage because of Limited recruits so What do we do about it to balance that out..  Look at the History.....

U of Houston--- Run and Shoot Offence... The ONLY reason they became successful back in the days was because of the Offence.. They did NOT have Superior Athletes.  David Klingler (Holds the NCAA record for passing yards in a game at 716 yds)  and Andre Ware were in the Perfect System.  They were never a Top 25 team before and after "THAT" Offence.  They were NOT NFL Quarterbacks.  They could Never compete with Texas and Texas A&M when they were not running THAT Offence. 

Texas Tech---Run and Shoot Offence (Or Whatever they call it in Lubbock)  Texas Tech is successful now because of THAT Offence.  They are 6-0 right now.  Their QB passed for  643 yds yesterday against Kansas State because of THAT Offence and K-State is a good Football team.  And T-T was ranked 13th in the USA BEFORE yesterdays game.  They will probably be ranked in the top 10 come Monday. They beat K-State 52-20.

Can we recruit better athletes than Houston and Texas Tech? ABSOLUTELY... Can we recruit better athletes than The University Texas? Absolutely Not.  Better than OU? NOT with this coaching Staff.  So what is the solution?  At the current pace and the pace of the past 3-4 coaching staffs? We will never get anywhere unless we do something that is going to be unorthodox. We CANNOT compete Head to Head with Florida, Tennessee, Ga, etc. with a recruiting base like we have.  Yes, we will get lucky now and then but I DO NOT WANT TO JUST GET LUCKY.  I want to know that what we have out on the field has a chance to win every Saturday.

I think that Coach Malzahn brings a style of Offense that is Unorthodox and will help offset the natural handicap (Recruiting base)that we have.  It might take a year or two for him to get it all in but i for one think that it is just what we need.  I am willing to take the chance.  When a team is not use to practicing against an Offense like that, YOU have an advantage immediately.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

ballinhog

Great read!! I have thought that for a while and I couldnt have said any better than that.

mikeirwin

A good post.
In every job Malzahn has taken he has developed a five year plan from his first days on the job. That plan not only includes what he wants to have accomplished in 5 years but the steps necessary to make it happen. His plan at Springdale was to make the Red Dogs a regional and national HS power. Looks like the 5 year plan worked.
Wonder what his 5 year plan at Arkansas would include ?

hoggystyle78

That's all good and everything but who's gonna fix the defense?

lumphog

I grew up with Freddie[helluva guy], Those we`re the good ole days. I think hiring GUS is a step in the right direction' BUT you have to get rid of the cancer to cure the sickness.        HIRE BUTCH before it`s toooooo laaaate !!!!!!!!

Nutts and Bolts

The Defense will just Naturally get better when we start winning with Malzahns Offense.  With that Winning attitude, it will just naturally attract the higher quality kids.  We do of course have to have a good quality DC. I am not saying that Herring is not the right guy...It is all about winning and winning creates an attitude that can be contagious...

Nutts and Bolts

mikeirwin

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on October 16, 2005, 02:07:47 pm
That's all good and everything but who's gonna fix the defense?
I'll say this again. Until last night Auburn outscored it's opposition 106-0 in the first half of 4 straight wins.
Arkansas defense held them to 6 points.
By halftime the defense was exhausted. They were getting almost no help from the offense. Too many 3 and out's in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Put a better offense on the field and this defense would start looking a whole lot better.
Arkansas has a QB and play calling problem.
The offensive philosophy is bare bones. Peyton Hillis pointed it out.
I didn't hear Hillis say anything bad about the defense.

hawgpharmer

Unless I am reading your post wrong, it seems you think that Houston and Texas Tech are playing or were playing for championships all the time.  When was the last time that Texas Tech played for the Big 12 championship?  Everyone wants a championship not 700 yards of total offense a game.  Texas Tech gets slapped around when they play the big powers in the Big 12 because of the "gimmicky offense" and that is what will happen if we change to something like that.  It will be fun to watch but still a loss.

radar

I think we need to get back on planet earth, this pie-in-the-sky with Gus is just not going to happen as long as Frank and Houston have any control over the program. Not one head coach Frank has hired since his retirement has been considered anything but conservative offensively. Frank always played not to lose, and he expects (demands) that from his coaches now.

Nutts and Bolts

This Pie-in-the-sky offense is better than what we saw in the game yesterday.
Yes you read the post wrong.. I did not say that Houston and T-T were playing for championships... BUT.... just go back and look at the differences in their Teams. Pre-Run and Shoot and then while they DID runt the Run and Shoot.  They go from bottom 1/3 of the SWC to to Top 1/3.  Go back and look.  I Remember it because i was there and i just went back and looked at their conference standings.. Facts are Facts.... All i am saying is that Our Hogs are not going anywhere fast. We have to do something different.  And Malzahn is Different...
Go Hogs

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: radar on October 16, 2005, 02:32:20 pm
I think we need to get back on planet earth, this pie-in-the-sky with Gus is just not going to happen as long as Frank and Houston have any control over the program. Not one head coach Frank has hired since his retirement has been considered anything but conservative offensively. Frank always played not to lose, and he expects (demands) that from his coaches now.

Before piling on Frank (who i think needs to go too) one thing should be remembered that he wanted to hire Tommy Tubberville and not Nutt.

Nutts and Bolts

Ya see??  That is the point i am making.. Most are just not getting it... It is basically more than the coaching. Tommy T would have the same results as coach Nutt had he come here..  With the handicap we automatically have with recruiting, MOST coaches that try to run a balanced offence here at the U of A will be held back because of the recruit shortage.  AGAIN, i say....  WE HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT.....

mikeirwin

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on October 16, 2005, 02:41:23 pm
Yes you read the post wrong.. I did not say that Houston and T-T were playing for championships... BUT.... just go back and look at the differences in their Teams. Pre-Run and Shoot and then while they DID runt the Run and Shoot. They go from bottom 1/3 of the SWC to to Top 1/3. Go back and look. I Remember it because i was there and i just went back and looked at their conference standings.. Facts are Facts.... All i am saying is that Our Hogs are not going anywhere fast. We have to do something different. And Malzahn is Different...
Go Hogs
Also Malzahn doesn't run a gimmick offense. If you line up to stop his passing game he'll run right over you. He puts the ball where the defense ain't. There's nothing gimmicky about that.

radar

Not piling on Frank, but who other than the athletic director can we fault for the nose dive over the last 20+ years in football?

HogFansReunited

Great post.  I couldn't agree more with anything you said.  Gus will bring in a different style of offence that the SEC is not use to playing against.  This is similar to what USC does.  The reason they are so hard to defend is because their offence is so diverse.  I think hiring him is a step in the right direction.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on October 16, 2005, 02:41:23 pm
Yes you read the post wrong.. I did not say that Houston and T-T were playing for championships... BUT.... just go back and look at the differences in their Teams. Pre-Run and Shoot and then while they DID runt the Run and Shoot. They go from bottom 1/3 of the SWC to to Top 1/3. Go back and look. I Remember it because i was there and i just went back and looked at their conference standings.. Facts are Facts.... All i am saying is that Our Hogs are not going anywhere fast. We have to do something different. And Malzahn is Different...
Go Hogs

Ok. Facts are facts. Houston won the SWC 3 out of 4 years in a row running the veer and didn't win the SWC with the run and shoot

But in general, I have long thought (since the 70s) that the best Arkansas philosophy would be a pass-first wide open offense which would draw national recruits. That was what first brought Arkansas to any semblance of prominence (in the THIRTIES) and we were quite the passing team in the 60s until the last game of the 1972 season. When JFB went to a triple option offense there were good reasons for it since we couldn't beat the wishbone if we couldn't practice against it and the rules punished passing. Unfortunately, when the rules started favoring passing teams again (liberal pass blocking, etc.) we  have never really shifted back.

I

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 16, 2005, 02:05:53 pm
A good post.
In every job Malzahn has taken he has developed a five year plan from his first days on the job. That plan not only includes what he wants to have accomplished in 5 years but the steps necessary to make it happen. His plan at Springdale was to make the Red Dogs a regional and national HS power. Looks like the 5 year plan worked.
Hey Mike, what kind of personality does Gus have? Do you think he would be a good recruiter?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgpharmer

But like I said, people don't want to just be in the top 1/3 they want championships and Texas Tech (your example) hasn't won one in the last 8 yrs.   Also, Mike never said Malzahn ran a gimmick offense but the Tech and Houston did which didn't and hasn't won championships, but Malzahn hasn't won one at Springdale either so who knows.

Nutts and Bolts

T-Tech and Houston did not win championships.. Never said they did.. I just said that they improved drastically. If we (Hogs) improve as much as Houston and T-T did then we win championships. With a higher level of recruits and a better offense... who knows but I have an idea.

mikeirwin

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 16, 2005, 03:10:09 pm
A good post.
Hey Mike, what kind of personality does Gus have? Do you think he would be a good recruiter?
He's sort of low key in person. Not like Mike Leach but he's not an HDN rah rah guy either.
I think he would recruit well. Half the job is to put an offense on their field that will attract players.
I would give him Arkansas as a recruiitng base and have him repair some of the damage that has been done at places like Warren.
I also would have him travel the state in the offseason and visit with coaches about his offensive philosophy. We need more teams like Spingdale in Arkansas. Out of state recruiiting has to improve but improving the quality of HS football in this state would have a huge impact.

Nutts and Bolts

we will lose the Marcus Monks of the world to schools that run a more wide open Offense. Our Offense is the primary reason that Damien Williams is heading out of state. He sees the history of our coaches.  I would say that the primary reason Mitch chose Arkansas is because he knows that Gus will be here with him...  It will all come (Public) out before you know it.

mikeirwin

Quote from: opineonswine on October 16, 2005, 03:28:48 pm
My only hesitation is that my own opinion of HDN is he is not very good at his profession and I hate to see Gus get tainted by Nutt. Maybe Houston will smarten up.
Maybe he won't have a choice.  ;)

Nutts and Bolts

i agree Mike i think some decisions have already been made.   And.........I personally think Frank is the best think that has ever happened to the U of A from an athletic stand point.

ThisTeetsTaken

October 16, 2005, 03:47:12 pm #24 Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 03:51:10 pm by ThisTeetsTaken
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 16, 2005, 03:34:38 pm
My only hesitation is that my own opinion of HDN is he is not very good at his profession and I hate to see Gus get tainted by Nutt. Maybe Houston will smarten up.
Maybe he won't have a choice. ;)
What do you think the chances are of HDN refusing to fire some assistants and stepping down?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Nutts and Bolts

I think that HDN has few if any decisions in the matter. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 16, 2005, 03:47:12 pm
What do you think the chances of HDN refusing to fire some assistants and stepping down?

He's coaching himself out of any place to go.

DisplacedHogFan

What do you think the chances are of HDN refusing to fire some assistants and stepping down?

Not likely...but at this point, I'd say that'd be the BEST case scenario. He's a beaten man. You can see it in his body language. If you don't believe me...watch the HDN show...watch his post game interviews. I was on the fence about Nutt, but his body language tells me he's pretty much scared to death of doing anything wrong. We can't have that in a coach and expect to win. Players will pick up that vibe (see this year, we play scared). I think he feels it slipping away from him...maybe if he truly "loves that helmet" he'll step aside. Very unlikely, though.

mikeirwin

That's one hell of a question. I really don't know. Hatfield told JFB to sitck it. Of course he didn't have a losing record at the time.
Common sense dictates that HDN is running out of options which each game that is lost.
Like WilsonHog has suggested he may not be in a position to GO anywhere else. At least not any place decent.

Boarcephus

Nutt knew what was coming and saw LSU last year as his last chance out of town for a decent gig and that's why he went after it the way he did.  He sacrificed Wommack last year and will do the same this year.   It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear him say he really isn't earning his money and offer to give some of it back to appease the lynch mob that is buildikg.   

Irwin, you sure sound like you know something regarding Gus!
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

pigfoot

I can't debate the Malzahn issue because I'm too far away to see or know much about his offense.  But most of the sports world thought Urban Meyer's spread option would work wonders at Florida.  Granted, it's their first season to use it, but he is learning the hard way that there is a world of difference between defenses he saw at Utah and those he is seeing in the SEC.  Secondly, I would suspect that Malzahn is wondering how effective he would be under HDN and I couldn't blame him for wondering.  Nutt is either the most stubborn egomaniac on the planet or he is truly and seriously delusional if he thinks he is an offensive (in the football sense) guru.  Apparently, he refuses to believe that anyone could do a better job.  And other than on this board, I don't hear anyone telling him that he's wrong in what he believes.  Even if Nutt goes, Frank will still be at the helm for another couple of years and the point has already been made about Frank's convervatism.  A truly frightening thought is that HDN will hang on another year or so, then move into the AD job as soon as JFB gets his golden parachute.  IMO, the only thing worse than having HDN as the head coach is having him the head coachs' boss.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Central_Tiger04

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 16, 2005, 03:24:29 pm
A good post.
He's sort of low key in person. Not like Mike Leach but he's not an HDN rah rah guy either.
I think he would recruit well. Half the job is to put an offense on their field that will attract players.
I would give him Arkansas as a recruiitng base and have him repair some of the damage that has been done at places like Warren.
I also would have him travel the state in the offseason and visit with coaches about his offensive philosophy. We need more teams like Spingdale in Arkansas. Out of state recruiiting has to improve but improving the quality of HS football in this state would have a huge impact.

We need more teams like Springdale?????

You mean a team that hasn't won state since 89".

No knock on them but I do feel that they get too much credit for a state that is way down this year in football.

Don't give me that they beat Evangel and Jenks crap.  Evangel has a saftey playing Qb.

Springdale is good but not great. 

Where is Brandon Martinez or Mr. Adams. 

I think that Gus is a good coach with a great O but He is not a football god. 

Please get off of his NUTTS!!!!!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Central_Tiger04 on October 16, 2005, 05:29:49 pm
A good post.

No knock on them but I do feel that they get too much credit for a state that is way down this year in football.

Don't give me that they beat Evangel and Jenks crap. Evangel has a saftey playing Qb.

LMAO Hahahahahahah this guy!....

Ok before i berate you like the 18 yr old you are.  I am a Central High Tiger myself.  I graduated in 96.  Went directly to the U of A. 

First off, we are not stating we want springdales history, or their championships.  We want a play style similar to theirs.  If you want to insult a team which will pretty much destroy any other team in the state this year, feel free.  The "I'm gonna make an ass out of myself" line is to the right. 

I am living in Tulsa right now and know how good Jenks is.  I know how good they were when they beat Union.  Those two teams have been nationally ranked for years, and trust me, Centrals stadium while great is nothing compared to the BRAND new on Union has.  Jenks got abused in the game against Springdale and so would Union.  They are good teams who look HORRIBLE against a Springdale team who is rolling. 

I will get off his nutts when you find a way to beat him this year.  Until then shut it, and don't say we did last year, because my friend, this aint last year.

bknight33

Gus Malzahn's philosophy is being used throughout the country...Michigan State and Florida are two notable examples....they are fun to watch, and can be effective, but you still must have a lot of the key components.  If Gus were at the U of A right now, do you think that it would make any difference?

Nutts and Bolts

Central Tiger, you missed the whole point of all this.   :)

pigfoot

Quote from: opineonswine on October 16, 2005, 05:21:46 pm
Quote from: pigfoot on October 16, 2005, 04:42:34 pm
I can't debate the Malzahn issue because I'm too far away to see or know much about his offense. But most of the sports world thought Urban Meyer's spread option would work wonders at Florida. Granted, it's their first season to use it, but he is learning the hard way that there is a world of difference between defenses he saw at Utah and those he is seeing in the SEC. Secondly, I would suspect that Malzahn is wondering how effective he would be under HDN and I couldn't blame him for wondering. Nutt is either the most stubborn egomaniac on the planet or he is truly and seriously delusional if he thinks he is an offensive (in the football sense) guru. Apparently, he refuses to believe that anyone could do a better job. And other than on this board, I don't hear anyone telling him that he's wrong in what he believes. Even if Nutt goes, Frank will still be at the helm for another couple of years and the point has already been made about Frank's convervatism. A truly frightening thought is that HDN will hang on another year or so, then move into the AD job as soon as JFB gets his golden parachute. IMO, the only thing worse than having HDN as the head coach is having him the head coachs' boss.

Would you take Florida's record right now? It's a sight better than ours!
Yep, I would take Florida's record over ours.  I'd take Vanderbilt's record over ours.  But my point was that most folks thought  because of Meyers and his offensive genius. Florida's record would be much better than it is now.  I'm not criticizing Gus.  He must be one hell of a high school coach.  I'm just questioning whether his offense would be the sure-fire success in the SEC that some seem to think it would be.  Admittedly, it would be better than we have now.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

wacohog

not knockin gus, but I don't hink you can equate texas tech with the houston cougars. lets not forget that it wa s mie leach's offense that acme in and set the world on fire when stoops took over OU. Texas tech has been a very crappy job to have, and leach appears to be slowly buiding it into a power. I think last year they had a higher rated recruiting class than we did, and i'd venture to say it is more difficult to recruit to lubbock thn to th U of A.

It makes me nervous to have a HS coach learning the job in the SEC; many of you know more than I do, see GUs regularly...I will defer to you on this. BUT, it makesw more sense to gid rid of NUtt and retool this whole thing. NOBODY in his right mind would scoff at the prospect of having leach as a head coach with gus helping run the offense. This is not a TT recruiting text, and the Big 12 is down now, but only a MORON would discount what Leach has done at a true midmajor team in a relatively short period of time. You want to get Mustain the Heisman...hire leach..you want our freshman RBs to each have 1000 yard seasons...hire leach.

the bottom line is this...Ttech would be undefeated at this point in our schedule, and Georgia would be sh--ting pennies trying to prepare for his team.

Frank, if you are listening, pay leach what he wants, give up your need to have the FB coach kiss your behind, and make this fun again for all of us

Rich

p.s. forgive the rant, I'm just frustrated with our football program

I know my post is based on the departure of HDN, and I have read enough here to assume that isn't gonna happen this year. However, I think that those that label TT's offense as "gimmicky" need to wait and see what happens to OU, TAMU, BAYLOR, and possibly even Texas when they play TTech.

Central_Tiger04

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 16, 2005, 05:35:00 pm
Quote from: Central_Tiger04 on October 16, 2005, 05:29:49 pm
A good post.

Don't give me that they beat Evangel and Jenks crap. Evangel has a saftey playing Qb.

LMAO Hahahahahahah this guy!....

Ok before i berate you like the 18 yr old you are. I am a Central High Tiger myself. I graduated in 96. Went directly to the U of A.

First off, we are not stating we want springdales history, or their championships. We want a play style similar to theirs. If you want to insult a team which will pretty much destroy any other team in the state this year, feel free. The "I'm gonna make an ass out of myself" line is to the right.

I am living in Tulsa right now and know how good Jenks is. I know how good they were when they beat Union. Those two teams have been nationally ranked for years, and trust me, Centrals stadium while great is nothing compared to the BRAND new on Union has. Jenks got abused in the game against Springdale and so would Union. They are good teams who look HORRIBLE against a Springdale team who is rolling.

I will get off his nutts when you find a way to beat him this year. Until then shut it, and don't say we did last year, because my friend, this aint last year.

We did it the past two years buddy!!!!!!

I dont care what you say Ar football is down this year and S'Dale is leaps and bounds above the rest of the state.  I won't even go into the agurement:  What if this years S'dale team played the Tigers last year or the year before that? 

How many D-1 players are at the other 5a schools?

I didn't miss the point I know that S'dale has a great O like I stated above but Bowling Green and Utah had great Spread option offenses but when you put gimmick offenses in the Sec you see what happens when you play the big boys of the confrence  (Tenn,Lsu,Bama).

But If he is a rare find then go get him and I will be more than happy to say that I was wrong for doubting him.

Nutts and Bolts

Kevin

i don't think two people (gus and mitch) fix our problems.  hdn is not just going to give the offense to him.  we need players and a coach who is fighting for his job cannot recruit. that will be the new excuse, i cannot recruit because everyone thinks i am getting fired. i need a longer contract.

the program is down and the count is at 7, we need to do something before it hits 10. syracuse is a great example. they lost to rutgers yesterday.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

nwarazfan

Great for you Central High had a couple of great teams.  Now stop playing Chad Hooten and leave high school behind.