Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama Game-Some Perspective-Maybe You'll Be Surprised

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 15, 2008, 08:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

For those who think we are going to get hammered and those who are hoping we don't, here is some factual comparisons of per game averages between the two teams. I'll have my comments at the end, but you check this out and decide for yourself.

Bama-O     Hogs-D         Hogs-O      Bama-D
Rushing             206.3         114             129.5         42.7
Passing             176.3        187.5            320.5        178.7
Total Offense     382.7        301.5            450.0        221.3
Scoring Off         31.7          25.5              28.0          7.7
T/O's                  1.0           0.0               1.0           1.33
Sacks                 1.33         1.5               4.0            1.67
Tackles For Loss   3.67         6.0               7.0            7.0
Red Zone Eff        .82           .86               .86            .75
3rd Down Conv    54.8%       40.6%          54.2%        26.8%

Alabama has blocked one punt in three games, we have blocked none.

Alabama averages 3.3 QB Hurries per game, we average 4.5.

Alabama averages 1.33 forced fumbles p/game, we average 1.5.

Alabama averages 3.3 pass B/U's per game, we average 5.

Alabama averages scoring 14.3 points in the first quarter, 8 points in the second, 8.3 in the third and 1 point in the fourth quarter. Their opponents have averaged 0 in the first, 4.3 in the second, 2.3 in the third and 1 in the fourth.

Arkansas averages scoring 0 points in the first, 6.5 in the second, 7.5 in the third and 14 in the fourth. Our opponents have averaged 1.5 in the first, 8.5 in the second, 10.5 in the third and 5 points in the fourth.

Alabama's passing offense averages 9.8 yards per reception while we average 13.6 yards per reception. Their rushing offense averages 4.95 yards per attempt while we average 4.54.

In Field Goals, Alabama is 4 for 4 inside the 30, but only 2 for 5 outside the 30(40%). Regrettably, we are 0 for 2 at any yardage.

Alabama's most difficult opponent so far has been Tulane who burned the Alabama secondary for 232 yards with only a 58% completion percentage and 0 INT's. But Tulane never scored a TD and their 6 points came from FG's.

For us to win this game I think we have to do the following:
1. Control the LOS on defense and limit their running game.
2. LB's will have to be active to not only support the run, but be aware of zone responsibilities since their average yardage per completion is only 9.8 yards.
3. Shut them down during the first half. Alabama scores 45.3% of their total points in the first quarter and 25.26% of their points in the second quarter(70.56% of their points) and if the Hogs can do this they will disrupt the Alabama rhythm and game plan.
4. Execute well on the punt/return and kick off/return teams.
5. Hit every FG we line up.
6. Play 4 full quarters of football without stumbling coming out of the blocks.

If we do these things, we will win. If we don't, we will literally give them the game.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

I believe that if we accomplish these things we will  win this game 27-24. If we don't, we may lose 27-20. This may not be a high scoring game like many think. We ALWAYS play Alabama close. It's our turn to win at RRS. Go Hogs Go!
Go Hogs Go!

hoghearted

I think we stand a better than average chance of succeeding with 4,5, and 6.
We have struggled with #1, may do better with #2 (considering some of our more experienced LB's will be coming back), but #3 is a big old question mark.

I'm still picking the Hogs to win.

I know, I know. Hopeless homerism, but it is what makes me a fan. :)
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Lake City Hog

I think the experience or maybe the maturity of the linebackers coming back will make a big difference in run support. Covering the receivers is my one question, if we don't give up the big play we will be OK.

farhan

Yah but we have played ULM/WI and struggled BAD.

Alabama has played Clemson, and devoured them, worked tulane and a western kentucky team....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: farhan on September 15, 2008, 08:33:20 pm
Yah but we have played ULM/WI and struggled BAD.

Alabama has played Clemson, and devoured them, worked tulane and a western kentucky team....

Yah, but Clemson turned out to be an imposter(for that game anyway) and like Tulane and Western Kentucky are leading the NCAA in productivity? Give me a break.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgwild child

Bama scores more in the first half cuz they have there starters in...im sure they have 2nd string in the 4th quarter

Golfer

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 08:38:31 pm
Yah, but Clemson turned out to be an imposter(for that game anyway) and like Tulane and Western Kentucky are leading the NCAA in productivity? Give me a break.

And is ULM and WIU producing anything??

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Golfer on September 15, 2008, 08:55:23 pm
And is ULM and WIU producing anything??

No, so we are about even, that's the point. We haven't played anybody and really, they haven't either since Clemson turned out to be a pretender. But what's your point? Are you one of the "we are gonna get hammered" group?
Go Hogs Go!

hawgwild child

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 08:58:11 pm
No, so we are about even, that's the point. We haven't played anybody and really, they haven't either since Clemson turned out to be a pretender. But what's your point? Are you one of the "we are gonna get hammered" group?
No way are we even with them

Golfer

No, I am not saying we will get hammered, but as bad as I hate to say it, I think we will lose.  Another thing you may not be considering, is that they have played three games to our two so that gives their young players more experience in games. I hope we "hammer" them, but being realistic, I think it will be a miracle if we win. Just my opinion, of course, just like your thoughts are only your opinion, right?

Bama Possum

The second string played the last few minutes of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter against WKU. Bama could have padded the score even more in that one. The 5th string RB, Upchurch, coughed up the ball inside the 10, then Alabama drove to the 5 yard line with the 3rd string QB and took the victory formation with almost 2 minutes left. There could have easily been 14 more points scored with 2nd and 3rd string players.

Clemson came in overconfident and got smacked hard enough to knock them completely off their game.

Tulane played waayyy over their heads, but still couldn't score more than field goals.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgwild child on September 15, 2008, 08:54:20 pm
Bama scores more in the first half cuz they have there starters in...im sure they have 2nd string in the 4th quarter

I would have thought that too, but do you think that when Tulane played them close that they didn't have their starters in? Wilson was in the entire game and if he was, You can be sure the rest of the starters were as well. Vs. Clemson, the starters were in the whole game. Against W. Kentucky the starters played the first 3 quarters.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Golfer on September 15, 2008, 09:01:46 pm
No, I am not saying we will get hammered, but as bad as I hate to say it, I think we will lose.  Another thing you may not be considering, is that they have played three games to our two so that gives their young players more experience in games. I hope we "hammer" them, but being realistic, I think it will be a miracle if we win. Just my opinion, of course, just like your thoughts are only your opinion, right?

No, no, everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinion.....I guess it was just the way you said it that set me off. Bama fans are going to make excuses and act like they have really played somebody(which as it turns out...they haven't) and will act like we haven't really played anybody either(which we haven't). Just see the post from Bama Possum above to see what I mean. The only time the starters have come off the field was against Western Kentucky(1 game) and they still have only scored 3 points in the 4th quarter.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

we have to finish off drives.  When we get the kinks out, our offense will be hard to stop.  A healthy Michael Smith adds a lot to this team.  Now we have to finish drives.  No more devastating holds.  Got to catch it if it is catchable.  Casey has to get rid of it if nothing is there or run, but the sacks need to be cut at least in half. 

Our special teams right now are putrid.  I mean horrible.  Pathetic.  You name it.  We need a reliable placekicker, punter, and kick off man.  Right now, we suck at all three.  The potential is there, but the results are not. 

We have to get some sacks.  We need some turnovers. 

And finally, we need a break or 2. 

We get those things straightened out, and you may see a suddenly confident young team build some momentum.  The potential is there, but again, the results -- not so much right now.

I have a good feeling about this team.

hawgwild child

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 09:18:04 pm
No, no, everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinion.....I guess it was just the way you said it that set me off. Bama fans are going to make excuses and act like they have really played somebody(which as it turns out...they haven't) and will act like we haven't really played anybody either(which we haven't). Just see the post from Bama Possum above to see what I mean. The only time the starters have come off the field was against Western Kentucky(1 game) and they still have only scored 3 points in the 4th quarter.

These stats are decieving...they are always in a big lead in the 2nd half so more than likely they run the ball to control the clock, im sure there not doin many play action passes and throwin many passes...there just wasting as much time as possible to get the game over with

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

RickyRoma

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 09:18:04 pm

Exactly...when a team (Tulane) gives them a game it's the classic "They played way over their heads".  Because nobody should even be allowed to play on the same field as bummer.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgwild child on September 15, 2008, 09:22:38 pm
These stats are decieving...they are always in a big lead in the 2nd half so more than likely they run the ball to control the clock, im sure there not doin many play action passes and throwin many passes...there just wasting as much time as possible to get the game over with

OK, fine. Whatever. Check the stats, maybe you are right, Check each drive and see if they were throwing or not. It isn't like they throw a lot to begin with. I'll say this, if you read above you know that the only game they removed their starters was in the last game against W. Kentucky. If they weren't serious about moving the ball, I doubt they would have left their starters in and take a chance on getting them injured with so much of the season still in front of them, but hey, maybe I am wrong and you are right.
Go Hogs Go!

HairyLegs

Nice analysis MuskogeeHogFan.  Downers want to look at previous games when we didn't have all def players back, Smith for only one game and the nation's top center saying he felt like a freshman.  Special teams play is horrific and we need to create turnovers. If we put it altogether, or even most of it (no pass drops, Casey gets rid of the ball sooner when pressured, defense steps up and ST doesn't do anything stupid), we are in this...and we're at home. I like our chances.

Oliver

Just keep saying, "Great things are on the horizon." when you watch games this year.  It's going to be a rocky season but great things are on the way...we MAY even see a few this season.

hogfan@heart

Quote from: Bama Possum on September 15, 2008, 09:09:43 pm

Clemson came in overconfident and got smacked hard enough to knock them completely off their game.

I wonder if your boys learned anything from them???

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on September 15, 2008, 09:40:33 pm
Just keep saying, "Great things are on the horizon." when you watch games this year.  It's going to be a rocky season but great things are on the way...we MAY even see a few this season.

I think it is quite likely that we will see a few this season, perhaps when we least expect it..........like when everyone(including some Hog fans) think it is a lost cause and we are defenitely going to get beat. We will be tougher this weekend than anyone thinks we will be.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan@heart on September 15, 2008, 09:44:26 pm
I wonder if your boys learned anything from them???

Are you kidding? That would mean that they have the ability to learn. :)
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan@heart

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 09:50:28 pm
Are you kidding? That would mean that they have the ability to learn. :)

Good point. Forgot about that!

Bama Possum

Bama has primarily ran the ball in the 4th quarter to control the clock. Moreso against Clemson and WKU. The only 4th quarter passing has really been on 3rd downs, and they were primarily dump offs to the flats to TE's and screens.

Alabama possessed the ball for over 9 minutes of the 4th quarter versus Clemson, almost 11 minutes in the 4th against Tulane, and 12 minutes in the 4th against WKU. Long drawn out drives to eat the clock.

Saban uses the offense to keep the opposing offense off the field. It also keeps the D rested.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bama Possum on September 15, 2008, 09:59:08 pm
Bama has primarily ran the ball in the 4th quarter to control the clock. Moreso against Clemson and WKU. The only 4th quarter passing has really been on 3rd downs, and they were primarily dump offs to the flats to TE's and screens.

Alabama possessed the ball for over 9 minutes of the 4th quarter versus Clemson, almost 11 minutes in the 4th against Tulane, and 12 minutes in the 4th against WKU. Long drawn out drives to eat the clock.

Saban uses the offense to keep the opposing offense off the field. It also keeps the D rested.

You guys better hope we don't put four quarters of football together this weekend or you will be getting a healthy dose of your own medicine, that which you just prescribed.
Go Hogs Go!

Bama Possum

Well, unless there is a major change, I can pretty much already tell you Saban's game plan.

Offense: The offense will attempt to score on each possession in the first half, but do it methodically. They will try and rip off big first downs and pound the last two or three yards out. The passing will be pretty conservative with a few long balls thrown in to keep the safeties honest. If the running game produces at all, expect to see some play action thrown in to TE's over the middle. Coffee and Ingram will be the initial go to guys. Expect to see fronts with two and sometimes three tight-ends, one used as a blocking back. If the power fails, you will see edge and seam attacks with Grant. The offense has the goal to not only score, but keep Arkansas's offense watching on the sidelines.

Defense- Multiple fronts and looks. Look for the rush with 3 and 4. The blitz will come rarely unless they feel they can get to Dick. If they can get to him with 4, pressure is enough, sacks are not necessary, then expect an occasional corner or safety blitz. If they feel that Dick needs more pressure, they will stunt and blitz a little more. I would imagine the nickel will be the primary set, although the dime might come in occasionally. The defense will try and keep everything in front of them, not give up big plays, and hawk the ball. Expect to make some first downs off passing, and I expect Petrino's offense to score.

Special teams- Smart move not to punt to Arenas. Tiffin is not the same player that he was two years ago. He is vastly improved and is capable of long field goals. Two of his misses have been on blocked kicks, not wide or short kicks. The coverage team is pretty good, and they have only had one breakdown against Spiller.

hendrix08hog

Muskogee, I admire your optimism, and I wish I had it. I'm just not convinced, though. The more we look at how we fared against inferior teams, the less encouraging it is.
FTS BABY

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Bama Possum on September 15, 2008, 10:25:14 pm
Well, unless there is a major change, I can pretty much already tell you Saban's game plan.

Offense: The offense will attempt to score on each possession in the first half

Really? I always wondered what made Saban a different coach. At least they wont be trying to score in the second half.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

c-townfan

To win this game. What we will have to do is force some turnovers and capitalize on them. We haven't done that yet. And I believe it to be our difference maker this year. I don't believe our defense is going to be good enough to stop SEC caliber offenses'. So therefore turnovers are crucial.

pablo_escobar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 08:38:31 pm
clemson, regardless of their  first game..  is light years ahead of the competition weve faced...

think about it..ULM is the best team weve played, and we won via a few  miracles...

Razorback Jedi

at this point in the season, i don't think stats really mean that much. Once you get into SEC play, then you can start analyzing what the numbers suggest. Good work on your facts and analysis, I just don't think they come into play all that much this early in the season.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: pablo_escobar on September 15, 2008, 10:43:22 pm
clemson, regardless of their  first game..  is light years ahead of the competition weve faced...

think about it..ULM is the best team weve played, and we won via a few  miracles...
Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner.

Clemson AND Tulane are pretty decent teams this year -- no, not Florida or Tennessee, but well above ULM and W Illinois.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 15, 2008, 10:44:07 pm
at this point in the season, i don't think stats really mean that much. Once you get into SEC play, then you can start analyzing what the numbers suggest. Good work on your facts and analysis, I just don't think they come into play all that much this early in the season.

exactly.  Miss State barely lost to Auburn this weekend.......i repeat, Miss State lost by 1 point to Auburn.

Anything is possible.  If you dont believe that, you're dead inside
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

GuvHog

No, the Hogs won because the Hog Offense finally quit screwing up in the second
half and put points on the board. Now if they can do that for an entire game, who
knows what could happen......
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

September 16, 2008, 07:50:18 am #36 Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:59:04 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Bama Possum on September 15, 2008, 10:25:14 pm

Offense: The offense will attempt to score on each possession in the first half, but do it methodically. They will try and rip off big first downs and pound the last two or three yards out. The passing will be pretty conservative with a few long balls thrown in to keep the safeties honest. If the running game produces at all, expect to see some play action thrown in to TE's over the middle. Coffee and Ingram will be the initial go to guys. Expect to see fronts with two and sometimes three tight-ends, one used as a blocking back. If the power fails, you will see edge and seam attacks with Grant. The offense has the goal to not only score, but keep Arkansas's offense watching on the sidelines.

Defense- Multiple fronts and looks. Look for the rush with 3 and 4. The blitz will come rarely unless they feel they can get to Dick. If they can get to him with 4, pressure is enough, sacks are not necessary, then expect an occasional corner or safety blitz. If they feel that Dick needs more pressure, they will stunt and blitz a little more. I would imagine the nickel will be the primary set, although the dime might come in occasionally. The defense will try and keep everything in front of them, not give up big plays, and hawk the ball. Expect to make some first downs off passing, and I expect Petrino's offense to score.

Special teams- Smart move not to punt to Arenas. Tiffin is not the same player that he was two years ago. He is vastly improved and is capable of long field goals. Two of his misses have been on blocked kicks, not wide or short kicks. The coverage team is pretty good, and they have only had one breakdown against Spiller.

A lot of what you are pointing out here is just basic football philosophy. Yeah, I would imagine that under the circumstances you outlined, that is what Saban would do. But apparently you haven't been watching your own kicker. Oh, he's 4 for 4 inside the 30 yard line, but he is only 2 for 5 outside the 30. Whether that is because of blocked kicks or not, that is a problem for you guys. Two blocked kicks in 3 games?

You have a great D-Line and your front 7 play the run very well, but your DL has only slightly more sacks than our DL and your secondary isn't setting the world on fire. We will finally have our full contingent at LB returning this weekend and hopefully they have knocked the rust off in practice.

We have had some work to do on our O-Line but make no mistake, they are a solid group. We also got Smith back at RB and he tore off 150 yds last week. You guys are tough in the red zone but I suspect we will be trying to punch it in from further out to avoid that.

The biggest thing that has held us back from scoring more points than we have has been our slow start. If we put together 4 quarters of football this weekend, we will score 28 or more points on your strong defense. If we are ahead or even close at the end of 3 quarters, we will win the game.

This is Arkansas-Alabama and you can throw all the records out the window. However it comes out, it will be close.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Ordinarily, I wouldn't disagree, but for that particular game, they weren't any better. In any case our biggest problem is not the competition, it has been us.....our inability to put together four full quarters of football. If we had done that, no one would even be bringing up who we have played compared to who they have played.
Go Hogs Go!

Bama Possum

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 16, 2008, 07:50:18 am
A lot of what you are pointing out here is just basic football philosophy. Yeah, I would imagine that under the circumstances you outlined, that is what Saban would do. But apparently you haven't been watching your own kicker. Oh, he's 4 for 4 inside the 30 yard line, but he is only 2 for 5 outside the 30. Whether that is because of blocked kicks or not, that is a problem for you guys. Two blocked kicks in 3 games?

You have a great D-Line and your front 7 play the run very well, but your DL has only slightly more sacks than our DL and your secondary isn't setting the world on fire. We will finally have our full contingent at LB returning this weekend and hopefully they have knocked the rust off in practice.

We have had some work to do on our O-Line but make no mistake, they are a solid group. We also got Smith back at RB and he tore off 150 yds last week. You guys are tough in the red zone but I suspect we will be trying to punch it in from further out to avoid that.

The biggest thing that has held us back from scoring more points than we have has been our slow start. If we put together 4 quarters of football this weekend, we will score 28 or more points on your strong defense. If we are ahead or even close at the end of 3 quarters, we will win the game.

This is Arkansas-Alabama and you can throw all the records out the window. However it comes out, it will be close.

I will agree that most of that is basic football philosophy. The problem is that most teams have to veer away from it because of either being outmanned or poor execution. So far, Bama has done it fairly well.

The blocked kicks were against 2nd and 3rd string linemen (three 2nd stringers played against Tulane because of minor injuries, the one against WKU was in the 4th), so it's really not that big of an issue. The other miss was from 52 yards. Bama's kicking game is NOT a weak spot, or at least it shouldn't be, anything is possible.

Of course my crimson glasses make my view a little different. I will be honest, I have not seen a single play of Arkansas football this season. The games haven't been televised, so all I have seen are highlights. This current Hog team is a mystery to me.

Bacon The Saddle Again

The biggest piece of information that has me a little optimistic when it comes to us keeping it close is that we get some defensive front seven guys back.  I think the offense will be fine.  It's our defense that scares the daylights out of me.  But we have some talented guys coming back from suspension/injury that I think will help.

TMc

I'm hoping for a win.., I am a homer.. however, I've seen nothing to convince me we will control the lines of scrimmage - which is where this game is going to be won.  They are big and physical on both sides.., we are still adjusting somewhat.., if this game is close - I'll be suprised.  I think they are going to control the clock and win this one easy.  I hope I'm wrong - either way.. we will know what we have, and how much work we really have to do after this game.

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 08:06:41 pm
For those who think we are going to get hammered and those who are hoping we don't, here is some factual comparisons of per game averages between the two teams. I'll have my comments at the end, but you check this out and decide for yourself.

Bama-O     Hogs-D         Hogs-O      Bama-D
Rushing             206.3         114             129.5         42.7
Passing             176.3        187.5            320.5        178.7
Total Offense     382.7        301.5            450.0        221.3
Scoring Off         31.7          25.5              28.0          7.7
T/O's                  1.0           0.0               1.0           1.33
Sacks                 1.33         1.5               4.0            1.67
Tackles For Loss   3.67         6.0               7.0            7.0
Red Zone Eff        .82           .86               .86            .75
3rd Down Conv    54.8%       40.6%          54.2%        26.8%

Alabama has blocked one punt in three games, we have blocked none.

Alabama averages 3.3 QB Hurries per game, we average 4.5.

Alabama averages 1.33 forced fumbles p/game, we average 1.5.

Alabama averages 3.3 pass B/U's per game, we average 5.

Alabama averages scoring 14.3 points in the first quarter, 8 points in the second, 8.3 in the third and 1 point in the fourth quarter. Their opponents have averaged 0 in the first, 4.3 in the second, 2.3 in the third and 1 in the fourth.

Arkansas averages scoring 0 points in the first, 6.5 in the second, 7.5 in the third and 14 in the fourth. Our opponents have averaged 1.5 in the first, 8.5 in the second, 10.5 in the third and 5 points in the fourth.

Alabama's passing offense averages 9.8 yards per reception while we average 13.6 yards per reception. Their rushing offense averages 4.95 yards per attempt while we average 4.54.

In Field Goals, Alabama is 4 for 4 inside the 30, but only 2 for 5 outside the 30(40%). Regrettably, we are 0 for 2 at any yardage.

Alabama's most difficult opponent so far has been Tulane who burned the Alabama secondary for 232 yards with only a 58% completion percentage and 0 INT's. But Tulane never scored a TD and their 6 points came from FG's.

For us to win this game I think we have to do the following:
1. Control the LOS on defense and limit their running game.
2. LB's will have to be active to not only support the run, but be aware of zone responsibilities since their average yardage per completion is only 9.8 yards.
3. Shut them down during the first half. Alabama scores 45.3% of their total points in the first quarter and 25.26% of their points in the second quarter(70.56% of their points) and if the Hogs can do this they will disrupt the Alabama rhythm and game plan.
4. Execute well on the punt/return and kick off/return teams.
5. Hit every FG we line up.
6. Play 4 full quarters of football without stumbling coming out of the blocks.

If we do these things, we will win. If we don't, we will literally give them the game.

Nice job Muskogee.  Looks like a Hog win to me :)

biggiepiggie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 15, 2008, 08:18:06 pm
I believe that if we accomplish these things we will  win this game 27-24. If we don't, we may lose 27-20. This may not be a high scoring game like many think. We ALWAYS play Alabama close. It's our turn to win at RRS. Go Hogs Go!

It's our turn to win at RRS?  Didn't we win the last time they came up here?

Hogginitall

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on September 16, 2008, 08:26:32 am
The biggest piece of information that has me a little optimistic when it comes to us keeping it close is that we get some defensive front seven guys back.  I think the offense will be fine.  It's our defense that scares the daylights out of me.  But we have some talented guys coming back from suspension/injury that I think will help.

Who?

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogginitall on September 16, 2008, 11:11:00 am
Who?

Freddie Burton, Elston Forte (Defensive Captain), Wendel Davis (full strength), Ryan Powers.
3 of these 4 were listed as projected starters in the pre-season.

Hogginitall

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 16, 2008, 11:17:14 am
Freddie Burton, Elston Forte (Defensive Captain), Wendel Davis (full strength), Ryan Powers.
3 of these 4 were listed as projected starters in the pre-season.

I want help on the DLINE.  They need to pressure John Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson if we are to be successful.

GuvHog

September 16, 2008, 11:28:29 am #46 Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:42:39 am by GUVHOG
Quote from: Hogginitall on September 16, 2008, 11:22:39 am
I want help on the DLINE.  They need to pressure John Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson if we are to be successful.

I agree the Hogs need to put more pressure on Bama's QB and I believe these more experienced and talented LBs finally getting to play will help greatly.

upperdeck_hawg

clemson is an imposter after 2 games? remember 3 years ago, people were calling us imposters too after usc drubbed as in fayetteville.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Hogginitall

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 16, 2008, 11:38:33 am
clemson is an imposter after 2 games? remember 3 years ago, people were calling us imposters too after usc drubbed as in fayetteville.

We didn't start 2006 ranked in the top 10.  Clemson was ranked in the top 10 this year to begin the season.

GuvHog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 16, 2008, 11:38:33 am

If that game had been played in the bottom half of the schedule that year, it would have been a totally different game. Playing USC first was suicide.