Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 25, 2024, 07:54:55 am

Auburn

Started by SquidBilly, September 13, 2008, 06:57:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

msudawgs64

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 13, 2008, 09:48:12 pm
Sly Croom is MSU's Houston Nutt.

well at least Nutt won 10 games and has been to Atlanta.  And as much as I think Nutt is a scumbag, he can at least say he owns Croom.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: msudawgs64 on September 13, 2008, 09:33:50 pm
two things..

1. that was in fact the dumbest play I have ever seen..

2. Fire Woody McCorvey and his lame ass offensive game plan now.  If Croom don't do it this year, his days will be numbered.  If he is dead set on running the stupid West Coast offense without the players, then he damn well better get an OC who actually knows how to run it.

Don't know much about Tyson Lee, but would you have preferred that they put him in at least for a series or two since Carroll was just god awful.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: msudawgs64 on September 13, 2008, 09:50:40 pm
well at least Nutt won 10 games and has been to Atlanta.  And as much as I think Nutt is a scumbag, he can at least say he owns Croom.
And that is what really makes my heart hurt for you.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

lookawayquick

Those two QBs really make C Dick look like a world beater.  Haven't seen such poor QB play in an SEC in a long, long time.  Give the Hogs hope!

msudawgs64

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2008, 09:53:05 pm
Don't know much about Tyson Lee, but would you have preferred that they put him in at least for a series or two since Carroll was just god awful.

he can do one thing that Carroll has apparenty forgotten how to do..throw the ball.   Croom better take full blame for this one and make a public apology to the defense and the special teams.  McAdams had a hell of a night punting, usually something we really stink at.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

msudawgs64

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 13, 2008, 09:54:01 pm
And that is what really makes my heart hurt for you.

lol, +1 to ya..

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: msudawgs64 on September 13, 2008, 09:50:40 pm

Good to see you back on Hogville, MSU. Looking forward to the Hogs-Dawgs dance later this year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

SquidBilly

Auburn is going to get anihilated if they play this way against LSU next week.  I plan on attending the game when the Hogs come to Auburn and after what I saw tonight I fully expect to leave that game in a very good mood.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 13, 2008, 10:07:35 pm
Good to see you back on Hogville, MSU. Looking forward to the Hogs-Dawgs dance later this year.

thanks...I want to say I am looking forward to it, but I am afraid our offense will look like this at this dance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xi4O1yi6b0

LOL

jamie72921

Quote from: NWASooner on September 13, 2008, 09:24:42 pm
If any of you watch this game and this it's great SEC football then you don't know football.

Auburn's offense is a sloppy mess that turns the ball over a lot.

Miss State's offense is just plain bad.

None of thes teams are any good.

So you are only as good as your offense?

If your offense stinks so does your team? Since when.

South Carolina and Auburn both have fantastic defenses. They are going to be tough for anyone to beat.

Wasn't SC playing against Ga. today? Another team with an incredible defense.

While neither SC or Aubie are top material, both are very dangerous teams even when their offenses aren't working. Which by they way, everyone's offense gets better as the season wears on.
Bless your heart

Fort Swine

September 13, 2008, 10:35:46 pm #60 Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:44:28 pm by Fort Swine
Auburn fans are livid with Tony Franklin and his "new system". 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/

If Todd is the qb at Auburn when we play, we will have a chance.  He makes their offense very plain.  Burns adds a threat to run that Todd can't.  Todd can't compete at the SEC level.  Franklin brought him in because he is a "system" qb.  Franklin is too busy selling his no huddle fast break offense.  The Auburn Def. is good, but their offense stinks with Todd and Franklin running it. 

If we can get CD some time in the pocket, we will have a chance.  The big question is time.  The way the O line has looked, that will be a big IF.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: msudawgs64 on September 13, 2008, 10:16:28 pm
thanks...I want to say I am looking forward to it, but I am afraid our offense will look like this at this dance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xi4O1yi6b0

LOL

Ohhh...that's sooo good. Will that be your offense OR our defense? That's why I think it'll be a good game.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

msudawgs64

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 13, 2008, 09:22:18 pm
To me it still goes back to that stupid 4-15 call by Croom.

here is his reasoning..

"I did not know if we would have a chance to get the ball back if we punted it. At that point in the game with the clock running, I was very concerned about not getting the ball back."  Before that he praised the defense..

I must have been watching a different game than Croom it appears.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 13, 2008, 06:57:55 pm
I've got to be honest, I'm not that impressed with them.  Their supposed to be running this innovative Tony Franklin spread offense and so far it hasn't looked like much.  That game may be more winnable than we all think because Petrino's offense never had problems with a Paul Rhoads defense when they were both in the Big East.

I've said it time and again, great defense but their offense is struggling more than ours. We have a chance against these guys unless they find answers between now and Oct 11.
Go Hogs Go!

donewithdale

Franklin is at Auburn because TT knew he needed a boost/edge to recruiting with Saban now at Bama.  Saban's last class was great and is a sign that Bama could catch back up to Auburn.  TT is claiming this attempt to go to the spread has helped recruiting.  It looks like a disaster though.  Hope Franklin isn't playing favorites at qb just because he has known one since high school.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 13, 2008, 11:23:43 pm
A friend down that way offered this explanation ...

"Tony Franklin, their new coordinator, is apparently totally committed to Chris Todd at QB. They did their best to rig the quarterback competition in spring ball. When Todd had a dead arm and couldn't throw for dick, they decided to extend the competition until fall camp. When Burns looked better in fall camp, they waited until the last possible moment to name him co-starter. Then Burns got banged up against La.-Monroe and they used the opportunity to stick Todd in there.

Franklin has known Todd since 8th grade and somehow decided he was the second coming - never mind that he's a JUCO transfer who couldn't hack it at Texas Tech and was only being recruited by Troy before Franklin changed jobs. It has already started to split the fan base, and could be spreading to the locker room."

Wow, are you saying that a coach is putting his ego above the team?  Sounds strangely familiar. 

KODI COME BACK HOME!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: abostian on September 13, 2008, 11:39:57 pm
Wow, are you saying that a coach is putting his ego above the team?  Sounds strangely familiar. 

KODI COME BACK HOME!!

Kodi isn't coming back, but they would be smart if, once he is healthy again, if they find a way to get him in the line up and get him the ball in space where he can make plays. Oh, and by the way, TT, LET GO and let your OC run his offense. TT is is just a "light" version of HDN.
Go Hogs Go!

idiotghos

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 14, 2008, 12:07:26 am
Oh, and by the way, TT, LET GO and let your OC run his offense. TT is is just a "light" version of HDN.

I'm not sure what you've watched that gave you the impression Todd isn't in complete control of the offense.  The personnel they have on-hand were recruited for a power-running team, not a hurry-up spread.  Not to mention that defenses are going to become better and better-prepared at stopping the spread now that the novelty's beginning to wear off.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: idiotghos on September 14, 2008, 12:24:22 am
I'm not sure what you've watched that gave you the impression Todd isn't in complete control of the offense.  The personnel they have on-hand were recruited for a power-running team, not a hurry-up spread.  Not to mention that defenses are going to become better and better-prepared at stopping the spread now that the novelty's beginning to wear off.

Please.......you are taking for Mr. Conservative #2? They may be having a hard time embracing the new offense, but we have similar players recrurited for a similar offensive style and we are way ahead of Auburn. Who do you think is in control? The QB? Try the HC and then the OC, in that order.....long before it before it gets to the QB. Todd does what he is told to do and calls what he is told to call. Don't ever think that TT isn't in control of his program.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

I've seen a 4-2 pee wee game....hootie coached one team.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JLaws

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 14, 2008, 12:07:26 am
Kodi isn't coming back, but they would be smart if, once he is healthy again, if they find a way to get him in the line up and get him the ball in space where he can make plays. Oh, and by the way, TT, LET GO and let your OC run his offense. TT is is just a "light" version of HDN.
Healthy again... Is he still out from that same cut on his leg from the last game? Did he lose a chunk of thigh or something??
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

donewithdale

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 14, 2008, 12:30:34 am
Please.......you are taking for Mr. Conservative #2? They may be having a hard time embracing the new offense, but we have similar players recrurited for a similar offensive style and we are way ahead of Auburn. Who do you think is in control? The QB? Try the HC and then the OC, in that order.....long before it before it gets to the QB. Todd does what he is told to do and calls what he is told to call. Don't ever think that TT isn't in control of his program.

TT conservative?  TT is not any version of HDN.

idiotghos

They may be having a hard time embracing the new offense, but we have similar players recrurited for a similar offensive style and we are way ahead of Auburn.

I'd attribute that more to us having a better offensive coaching staff than Auburn.  We'll get an idea of how far along both offenses really are after next week.

Who do you think is in control? The QB? Try the HC and then the OC, in that order.....long before it before it gets to the QB. Todd does what he is told to do and calls what he is told to call. Don't ever think that TT isn't in control of his program.

I would say Franklin is in control... he said he would implement a hurry-up spread, and that's exactly what he's done.  Just because they look awful doesn't necessarily mean that TT's meddling.  TT certainly didn't tell the offense to fumble the ball twice in the fourth quarter, or rack up 94 penalty yards, or only convert 3 third downs all day.  Todd rarely was given enough time to throw downfield.  There were lots of problems, certainly, but none that point to Franklin being muzzled.

SquidBilly

They may be having a hard time embracing the new offense, but we have similar players recrurited for a similar offensive style and we are way ahead of Auburn.

Difference is our OC is on the same page as our HC.  Tuberville is a power running game coach that embraces the pass just slightly more than Hootie did.  He brought in Franklin to appease his fan base but as we found out in our situation a couple of years ago, bringing in an OC who runs an offense which is completely different than the HCs philosophy will only cause problems.  Only difference in the two situations is that Tuberville has more decency and integrity than TCTWF did so it shouldn't end nearly as messy.  Also, I have long questioned the notion of hiring an OC who has a website and does seminars promoting the selling of his offense to anyone wanting to pay for it.  It's one thing for teams to watch game film and figure out tendencies that way but to be able to buy the playbook and learn all of the OCs philosophies is a recipe for disaster in the SEC.

UAbandalum

I thought the two schools had hockey teams and that they played last night instead of the fooball teams . . . . . .

retired-rambler

That 4 and 15 by Croom might have cost him his job at the end of the year.  Could not believe he tried it with the way his defense and offense(?) is playing.  Man was really desperate.

NWASooner

QuoteSo you are only as good as your offense?

You're at least half as good as your offense.  The days of teams winning national titles with power running games and stingy defenses are over.  (Ohio State pulled it off in 2002, though.)  To win big time in college, you need ballers on offense.

QuoteSouth Carolina and Auburn both have fantastic defenses. They are going to be tough for anyone to beat.

South Carolina gave up 500 yards rushing to Arkansas last year and all those starters are back.  They can't be that good.  They gave up 20+ points to Vandy in a loss.  Auburn's defense is solid but their offense is horrible.

Just because a baseball game ends 1-0 doesn't mean it was because of the pitching.

SquidBilly

Quote from: NWASooner on September 14, 2008, 09:17:20 am
Just because a baseball game ends 1-0 doesn't mean it was because of the pitching.

As a Braves fan I totally agree with that statement.  We have made a lot of teams' 3rd and 4th starters look like Cy Young this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JLaws on September 14, 2008, 12:38:54 am
Healthy again... Is he still out from that same cut on his leg from the last game? Did he lose a chunk of thigh or something??

From what I saw, he didn't play yesterday. Didn't see the game, but he wasn't mentioned in any of the stats.
Go Hogs Go!

Fort Swine

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 13, 2008, 11:23:43 pm
A friend down that way offered this explanation ...

"Tony Franklin, their new coordinator, is apparently totally committed to Chris Todd at QB. They did their best to rig the quarterback competition in spring ball. When Todd had a dead arm and couldn't throw for dick, they decided to extend the competition until fall camp. When Burns looked better in fall camp, they waited until the last possible moment to name him co-starter. Then Burns got banged up against La.-Monroe and they used the opportunity to stick Todd in there.

Franklin has known Todd since 8th grade and somehow decided he was the second coming - never mind that he's a JUCO transfer who couldn't hack it at Texas Tech and was only being recruited by Troy before Franklin changed jobs. It has already started to split the fan base, and could be spreading to the locker room."

The man love for Todd and Franklin continues even though he stunk it up last night and couldn't move the offense.  Franklin said in post-game comments that Todd didn't do anything wrong.  As long as Todd is in the game, you don't have to play the read option, HE CAN'T MOVE!  Todd makes AU a 2nd or 3rd place team in the West, which is great.  Just hope TT keeps Todd in there for the Hawg game.  Better chance of winning. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

idiotghos

Quote from: Fort Swine on September 14, 2008, 01:09:32 pm
As long as Todd is in the game, you don't have to play the read option, HE CAN'T MOVE!

Agreed.  Unless Todd starts showing the ability to throw downfield, it's pretty much the same Auburn offense as last year, but with the threat of the run diminished because of the spread sets.

That said, we'll probably manage to make them look like Mizzou when we visit.

idochog

I am not impressed at all so far w/ Auburns new QB or offense.  I hope they perform that badly against us. 
I love Jesus!

1highhog

I think we have a good chance against the warbirds.

razorsharptusk

I am glad to hear yall think what I am.  I really think we have a chance at beating many of these teams.  WE just have to have an A game when we play them.
GO HOGS!!

JLaws

Quote from: idiotghos on September 14, 2008, 01:17:48 pm
Agreed.  Unless Todd starts showing the ability to throw downfield, it's pretty much the same Auburn offense as last year, but with the threat of the run diminished because of the spread sets.

That said, we'll probably manage to make them look like Mizzou when we visit.
As much as Brandon Cox screwed the pooch on a regular basis last year, you figure TT would have learned his lesson regardless of the OC's system. At the college level, when you have an effective runner under center (or good enough to make the defense respect the threat)it at least gives the offense more to work with.
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

WarEagle

This was an absolutely brutal game to watch.  We just looked pathetic on offense, as we did in the first game.  I thought we had made some improvements from the first week to the second, but we definitely took about ten steps backwards Saturday night.  I think Miss State has a good defense, but a lot of our problem was just shooting ourselves in the foot. 

When you look at our stats, they were not horrible.  We had 154 yards passing and 161 rushing.  But all the penalties, fumbles, missed FGs, and just general inability to put points on the board were certainly discouraging.  I think the things that are most disconcerting are:

1.  Lack of improvement from week to week.  We didn't expect the offense to fully click from the start, but we expected it to get better as the season goes on.

2.  Thoughts that we don't have the best players on the field.  Where were Kodi Burns and Mario Fannin?  Is CTF playing favorites? 

3.  Lack of redzone productivity.  When you get your chances, you have to make them count.  We have been horrible in the redzone with this offense.
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

Bama Hog™

I was listening to the Opening Drive radio show here in B'Ham this morning. After hearing many of the fans and hosts comments, this is my assessment of current state of Auburn football:
Tommy Tuberville = Houton Nutt (06)
Tony Franklin = Gus Malzahn (06)
Codi Burns = Mitch Mustain (06)
Chris Todd = Casey Dick (06)

Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

WarEagle

Quote from: Bama Hog™ on September 15, 2008, 11:00:49 am
I was listening to the Opening Drive radio show here in B'Ham this morning. After hearing many of the fans and hosts comments, this is my assessment of current state of Auburn football:
Tommy Tuberville = Houton Nutt (06)
Tony Franklin = Gus Malzahn (06)
Codi Burns = Mitch Mustain (06)
Chris Todd = Casey Dick (06)

I'm not sure about your comparisons.  I thought Arkansas fans liked Malzahn.  Most Auburn fans are very happy with Tub.  We are just concerned that Franklin's new offense is not working.  We have been unimpressive in wins over three teams we should have handled fairly easily.  We are now looking down the barrel of some tough games, starting with LSU. 
I have descended into college football's Grand Canyon.  I have stood in its Alps.  I have gazed at its ocean sunset.  I have attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama and I've been changed forever. ~ Bud Poliquin

toozakpig

What BamaHog was trying to say is Arkansas was in the same position in 06 so we do understand your frustration.

GuvHog

Miss. States biggest problem on offense is their Offensive Coordinator (Woody McCorvey?).
The Guy is just plain terrible (possibly worse than HDN?).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

spudhog

I've got to be honest, I'm not that impressed with them.  Their supposed to be running this innovative Tony Franklin spread offense and so far it hasn't looked like much.  That game may be more winnable than we all think because Petrino's offense never had problems with a Paul Rhoads defense when they were both in the Big East.

Rhoads never had this type of defensive talent before either. Not saying he'll get the best of BP but he's got a lot more to work with at Auburn than Pitt.

You are right, Auburn's offense is not productive. They have a couple of key problems.

1) No dynamic qb. Todd is a decent qb but he's not going to beat you. He'll manage the offense decently well and make most of the plays he should. That being said, their spread is predicated on having a qb that can make some rare plays. He's not the one.

2) No gamebreakers. They have some fine backs and o-line but no gamebreakers or guys you have to plan to stop. Their wr's are not break away guys and simply not greatly skilled.

Tough to run a spread with an average qb and wr's.

GuvHog

Quote from: spudhog on September 15, 2008, 12:02:13 pm
Rhoads never had this type of defensive talent before either. Not saying he'll get the best of BP but he's got a lot more to work with at Auburn than Pitt.

You are right, Auburn's offense is not productive. They have a couple of key problems.

1) No dynamic qb. Todd is a decent qb but he's not going to beat you. He'll manage the offense decently well and make most of the plays he should. That being said, their spread is predicated on having a qb that can make some rare plays. He's not the one.

2) No gamebreakers. They have some fine backs and o-line but no gamebreakers or guys you have to plan to stop. Their wr's are not break away guys and simply not greatly skilled.

Tough to run a spread with an average qb and wr's.

If things don't improve drasticly and soon, TT is likely to take the offense away from Franklin just
as he did to Al Borges on several occaisions but unlike Borges, Franklin is likely to quit on the spot and walk off causing serious problems for TT.

spudhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 15, 2008, 12:11:58 pm
If things don't improve drasticly and soon, TT is likely to take the offense away from Franklin just
as he did to Al Borges on several occaisions but unlike Borges, Franklin is likely to quit on the spot and walk off causing serious problems for TT.

I totally agree with you. TT is a good hc, but he doesn't have a great offensive mind. And also, you have to recruit for that style. Imagine how bad bp's offense would've looked if he hadn't recruited his kids here?

TT has got to change his style. They have a good o-line and some decent backs. Go get you some stud wr's and te's and  you'll be dynamic. Your defense is good enough to win now.

Bama Hog™

Quote from: WarEagle on September 15, 2008, 11:19:55 am
I'm not sure about your comparisons.  I thought Arkansas fans liked Malzahn.  Most Auburn fans are very happy with Tub.  We are just concerned that Franklin's new offense is not working.  We have been unimpressive in wins over three teams we should have handled fairly easily.  We are now looking down the barrel of some tough games, starting with LSU. 

Nutt was very popular at the start of the 06 season for his promise to install the HUNH spread offense, etc....
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

GuvHog

September 15, 2008, 12:36:03 pm #94 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:37:51 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: WarEagle on September 15, 2008, 11:19:55 am

That's why I believe that TT should let Franklin go, then apologize to Al Borges, hire him back, get out of his way, and leave him alone.

neahog

You may be right, it looks as though it may take Auburn a couple of years to adapt to such a vastly different offense than what they are used to. Once they get the players in on the offensive side of the ball to run that offense though, it should be scary based on what we saw Troy do. Auburn's defense is scary good though. It will be hard to score more than 6-10 points on them.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

GuvHog

Quote from: neahog on September 15, 2008, 12:39:06 pm
You may be right, it looks as though it may take Auburn a couple of years to adapt to such a vastly different offense than what they are used to. Once they get the players in on the offensive side of the ball to run that offense though, it should be scary based on what we saw Troy do. Auburn's defense is scary good though. It will be hard to score more than 6-10 points on them.

Who has Auburn played that makes you think that they have a "Scary Good" defense ????  Mississippi State's offense is terrible!