Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas and Ole Miss Recruiting Rankings for 2009

Started by BCShogs, September 12, 2008, 09:16:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nebhog70

Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 03:08:42 pm
Same can be said about the 3*s and 4 *s. Go back on rivals and check out our past classes and see who has panned out and who hasn't.

Recruiting classes should be evaluated after 2 or 3 years in terms of wins and losses.

Stars by recruitng services really mean very little -- just an estimate of potential upon high school graduation.
"Never surrender opportunity for security."
Branch Rickey

opineonswine

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 02:30:09 pm
So people can't be Nutt fans around here? Lay off.

your comment nauseates me.  Please leave.

majp51

Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 10:15:46 am
I show Ark with 14 and this class very similar to every Nutt class a few 4*'s and a bunch of 3*'s. Why compare and if your going to compare compare after signing date.

Sure, at this point, looking solely at numbers (and removing Winston, who would have been above Hooties "Pay Grade") You see similar Numbers.

Let's look a little deeper. Compare this to the 2006 recruiting class (the last time TCTWF had a 5 Star)
His top 8 players (1 5star and 2 4 Star and 5 3 star) Were all Offensive players.

Before being let go/resigning, good ole Hootie wasn't recruiting much in the way of Defensive players for the 2008 class either.

So basically his last 3 years of recruitign were dominated by Offensive players.

This year marks the 2nd year in a row Petrino has nabbed us a 5 Star (2 for 2 versus 1 for 10, ala scout.com, maybe 2 for 10 on rivals if they listed McFadden a 5 star)

And most importantly Petrino cares about both sides of the ball, whereas HDN appears to be moderately indifferent to the Defensive side.

Feralhog

September 12, 2008, 04:53:03 pm #53 Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:54:45 pm by Feralhog
As far as I'm concerned, anyone sticking up for that piece of crap gets what they deserve.  He's no longer our coach, there's plenty of Arkansas boards that not only allow Nutt lovin, it's encouraged.  Not trying to be smart but anyone who feels they must defend Nutt would probably be better off  posting on another board like scout or rivals.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

PotBelliedPig29

I wish would stop comparing Petrino to Nutt. There is no comparison. Lets start comparing upwards to like LSU, Georgia, and Florida.

Recuiting against Ole Miss is like racing your little sister.
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

Lrhog671

Quote from: PotBelliedPig29 on September 12, 2008, 04:56:26 pm
I wish would stop comparing Petrino to Nutt. There is no comparison. Lets start comparing upwards to like LSU, Georgia, and Florida.

Recuiting against Ole Miss is like racing your little sister.

1+ good post

Razorback Jedi

September 12, 2008, 05:11:43 pm #56 Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:17:30 pm by Razorback Jedi
Quote from: opineonswine on September 12, 2008, 04:22:58 pm
your comment nauseates me.  Please leave.
edit.
never mind

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Feralhog on September 12, 2008, 04:53:03 pm
As far as I'm concerned, anyone sticking up for that piece of crap gets what they deserve.  He's no longer our coach, there's plenty of Arkansas boards that not only allow Nutt lovin, it's encouraged.  Not trying to be smart but anyone who feels they must defend Nutt would probably be better off  posting on another board like scout or rivals.

By no means am I a Nutt defender ... that much is clear (except to witch hunters). What gets me is that there is an obvious hate and disrespect for anyone that says anything positive about Nutt. So Otis' board exists for the Nutt hugers, this one now seems to exist for the Nutt haters.

Where is there middle ground?

The Hawg Marshal

Who cares about middle ground. This is not a Nutt board. Sorry.

opineonswine

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 05:15:57 pm
By no means am I a Nutt defender ... that much is clear (except to witch hunters). What gets me is that there is an obvious hate and disrespect for anyone that says anything positive about Nutt. So Otis' board exists for the Nutt hugers, this one now seems to exist for the Nutt haters.

Certainly not here. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Heightshog on September 12, 2008, 12:23:57 pm
Our 22nd ranked class is still 8th in the SEC, that's not going to get it done.  We have to step it up if we want to compete with the big boys.
Yes it will get it done. anytime you recruite a top 20 class and add great coaching to it. you can beat anybody and win a championship. thats what we have in BP. a great coach. we will win big. you are flatout wrong on this one.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 03:35:15 pm
Clearly any mention of Nutt in any positive light will get you nailed by all the witch hunters around here. So I guess we can't talk fondly about Danny Ford, or Kines, or Crow, or Hatfield, or any of the other Razorbacks since they are no longer the head coach.

Tow the company line, or be tarred and feathered. Just a different variation of dictatorship that is employed at other Hog boards.

You sir, are sadly mistaken.  Coach Kines and Coach Ford, two gentlemen, did not go to our most historic rival in the SEC.  They did not attempt to torpedo our recruiting.  They made no mention of that other school as did our former head coach.  They did not proclaim themselves a Rebel through and through.  If you look at previous threads, Coach Ford may have been questioned as to his coaching style but for each person who questioned, there were those who defended him.  From personal knowledge, Coach Kines is one of those few men who is a good coach and a great man.  To put his name in the same thread as our former head coach is an insult.

As for Coach Hatfield not only did he play all four years for the university and did not transfer and graduate somewhere else, he has always been complimentary about the university and came back here to retire and still contribute.

Jack Crowe was in an impossible situation and could not have handled any situation.  As far as I know, he has never said anything critical about the University.

Our former head coach is a narcisstic person who has always put himself before the interests of his players or the school.  To mention him with the four above is an insult to those coaches.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Dances With Hogs

Ball, Nutt is no recruiter, too lazy.
Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 02:18:48 pm
Hey i have a right to post of here just like you. I'm a hog fan and this is hog board so if its OK with you I'll keep on posting. I could give a rats butt who the coach is. In my opinion they look pretty similar in recruiting and really what matters is what they do on the field.

Lake City Hog

I was a diehard Nutt supporter for about 6 years, I helped make excuses for our mediocre seasons. I actually thought we would get better, then it occurred to me that the QB position never got better. Qb's came in and regressed, their passing skills wilted away along with their leadership qualities.
After the dry years his 1st year bought a lot of time with me, but I finally reached the breaking point. Knowing the feelings of the fan base he held on and bled the Hogs for as long as he could. When the end came, this lifelong Razorback did all he could to sabotage the future of the program. His absolute refusal to enter the modern football scene and the methods he used to accomplish his agenda have forever turned me against him.
I could care less where he coaches, I would feel the same way. It hurts me to think that a man whose childhood dream was to be Razorback would turn so easily on the team of his dreams.
GO HOGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!          WPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burt B.

Just wait till Petrino starts to have some success over the next couple of years, our recruiting will improve. Most of us agree that he has already bettered TCTWF in recruiting while some say it is about the same. Even if his class is similiar in ranking, Petrino hasn't even had the advantage of putting his product on the field for any recruits to see. TCTWF had a decade.

Dances With Hogs

Heightshog

September 12, 2008, 09:44:21 pm #67 Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:35:42 pm by Heightshog
Quote from: forrest city joe on September 12, 2008, 06:26:01 pm
Yes it will get it done. anytime you recruite a top 20 class and add great coaching to it. you can beat anybody and win a championship. thats what we have in BP. a great coach. we will win big. you are flatout wrong on this one.

When was the last time someone outside the big six (FL,TN,GA,AL,AU,LSU) won the SEC in football?  You can't expect to coach up talent in this league and win on a consistent basis.  If you don't beat these guys in recruiting your not going to beat them on the field.  We can't keep taking these 3 star flyers hoping they will pan out.

1962 was the last time someone outside this group won the SEC.  Your kidding yourself if you think having the 8th ranked class in the SEC is going to win a championship. This league is full of great coaches, tell me something i don't already know.

31to6

Quote from: nebhog70 on September 12, 2008, 04:18:44 pm
Recruiting classes should be evaluated after 2 or 3 years in terms of wins and losses.

Stars by recruitng services really mean very little -- just an estimate of potential upon high school graduation.

This has been debunked time and time again.

The teams with the top recruiting classes year-in-year-out also have the best records year-in-year-out. There are exceptions in both directions (talented teams that underperform and less talented that win) but you will not see a dominant program that isn't also consistently raking in 4* and 5* players.

Feralhog

September 13, 2008, 12:51:14 am #69 Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:55:39 am by Feralhog

If you want middle ground, go to another board.  There's too many people around here that know, first hand, what went down.  You see, we're not like the other boards who sold out and chose to promote Nutt's lies.  And it didn't stop there.  Some of these boards willingly participated in some of the the crap the posse was doing.  Why come on this board when scout and rivals have policies more in tune with you?    Makes no sense.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hogmafia

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on September 12, 2008, 03:05:55 pm
No.  This is a Razorback message board, not a Houston Nutt fan club site.  Go see Clay or Otis for that. 
LISTEN MISTER!!!!

neahog

Quote from: BCShogs on September 12, 2008, 09:16:14 am
I know it's early.....................but

2009 recruiting rankings according to Rivals

Arkansas- 15 commitments, ranked #22

Ole Miss-10 commitments, ranked #45 (not one four star or five star)

Petrino-1
Nutt-0

And this is just the beginning.
It sounds like you're in love with Houston Nutt. It really is unbelievable how often people feel the need to compare [CENSORED] sizes with Ole Miss.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

hogninja

TCTWF is now the enemy.  He was given 3 mill to be our enemy.  He recruits the very same players WE want to play for us, HE plays us every year to beat us, He played the fans, the school, the admin for 10 years to keep his job.  The bottom line is when he moved across the river to a rivel school, there is no longer a Nutt fan that should be alive in ARKANSAS FOOTBALL.  Nuff said. :puke: :razorback:

GoHogs#1

Quote from: Feralhog on September 13, 2008, 12:51:14 am
Why come on this board when scout and rivals have policies more in tune with you?    Makes no sense.

BUT BUT BUT........Those boards are not FREE!!!
Go Hogs

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Feralhog on September 13, 2008, 12:51:14 am
If you want middle ground, go to another board.  There's too many people around here that know, first hand, what went down.  You see, we're not like the other boards who sold out and chose to promote Nutt's lies.  And it didn't stop there.  Some of these boards willingly participated in some of the the crap the posse was doing.  Why come on this board when scout and rivals have policies more in tune with you?    Makes no sense.

Good discourse is hard to find when everyone is of the same accord. Screw scout and rivals boards and all the other ones out there that give you the boot when you make a post against the 'flow'.

I couldn't care less if people think I'm a hugger or hater. But I do care for good discussions without all the sunshine pumping or vicious hate that dominates the landscape of most hog boards. For that, I loathe the previous administration and coaching staff .... there is no reason for the obvious division and line-drawing that exists.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: tbw1 on September 12, 2008, 06:45:17 pm

You sir, are sadly mistaken.  Coach Kines and Coach Ford, two gentlemen, did not go to our most historic rival in the SEC.  They did not attempt to torpedo our recruiting.  They made no mention of that other school as did our former head coach.  They did not proclaim themselves a Rebel through and through.  If you look at previous threads, Coach Ford may have been questioned as to his coaching style but for each person who questioned, there were those who defended him.  From personal knowledge, Coach Kines is one of those few men who is a good coach and a great man.  To put his name in the same thread as our former head coach is an insult.

As for Coach Hatfield not only did he play all four years for the university and did not transfer and graduate somewhere else, he has always been complimentary about the university and came back here to retire and still contribute.

Jack Crowe was in an impossible situation and could not have handled any situation.  As far as I know, he has never said anything critical about the University.

Our former head coach is a narcisstic person who has always put himself before the interests of his players or the school.  To mention him with the four above is an insult to those coaches.

It was a statement of rhetoric, not one of obvious logic or presumed reality.

Sivad

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 03:54:45 pm
Some people believe that Nutt was the best thing for Hog football.
That would be our football opponents.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 12, 2008, 03:17:41 pm
After reading Biggus on another thread, I am almost convinced the recruiting ratings don't mean so much for Nutt. As he pointed out, only about a third of Nutt's recruits ever earned any significant playing time -- most flamed out, dropped out or transferred.

If Petrino does a better job of keeping the talent he recruits and developing it (which never happened under TCTWF), the gap between his recruiting and Nutt's will be a chasm.

You left out, "run off" and "had it made known to them by various means that they were not wanted".
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on September 12, 2008, 03:30:13 pm
So, that quote he had recently about how he's got a better recruiting situation at Oxford than he had at Fayetteville is just more of his b.s., right?
That would be an affirmative, good buddy.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: nebhog70 on September 12, 2008, 04:18:44 pm

What are the W's and L's, that matter, from the Felix and Darren class through last year? 2-6 in SEC their first year I believe, with a miserable loss to USC. 7-1 in SEC their second year with another miserable loss to USC. 4-4 in SEC by skin of their teeth (thanks to Triple OT win in last SEC game of the season) last year. That's 13-11 in 3 years with the best offensive backfield in the country those 3 years. Wow...talk about doing less with more. Frank you, Nutt.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tbw1 on September 12, 2008, 06:45:17 pm

Damn, nailed it very succintly. That is the difference between Nutt and any other head football coach in U of A history. Nutt is in a class by himself among Arkansas football coaches...no one like him before and there will never be another like him, primarily because we'll never have another octogenarian as AD who was there for 50 years and because Jim Lindsay no longer controls things like he once did.

HognotinMemphis

The more I think about the Nutt situation, I conclude that for him to take the Ole Miss job makes everything he did and said while at the U of A total BS. He meant none of it, didn't "love the helmet", etc. It was just a job and he took the Ole Miss job because to him it is better than Baylor or the like. He doesn't care one bit that he's going to play Arkansas every year in the same division, doesn't care about Arkansas period. He'll be at Ole Miss for far less time than he was at Arkansas because they'll tire of hearing the same things while not winning. Nutt will never even get to .500 in SEC play in any season. My guess is he'll last no more than 5 or 6 years there.

ghog23

GHOG23

Hawgvillain

A little off topic from the rest of the thread but I wanted to point out how important it is to get these kids on campus.  Our previous class was not all that highly rated by the services but, IMO, it has already proven better than that ranking because we are already getting contributions from so many players.  While it's clear that the class of '09 will not be full of 4 and 5 star guys, I'm hopeful that under Petrino we will do a much better job than the previous coaching staff of getting guys to campus.  Honestly, a class with the talent that we have can be top 10-15 if you get everyone to campus...

Nashville Fan

Quote from: ballhog88 on September 12, 2008, 10:15:46 am
I show Ark with 14 and this class very similar to every Nutt class a few 4*'s and a bunch of 3*'s. Why compare and if your going to compare compare after signing date.
I think Petrino with 1 1/6th years of a recruiting at AR will have more 5*s on the field in 2009 than TCTWF had during his whole 10 yrs combined. Sad and inexcusable.
Pittman or Bust!

Pig In the Mud

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on September 12, 2008, 10:21:07 am
I don't think anyone, even Nutt apologists, will argue that Nutt is a better recruiter than BP. What people will say is that BP is fickle and will leave at the first sign of a better job. It really has nothing to do with production ... just perception.

I talked to Joe Biddle here in Nashville the other day, and he's got a sore spot for BP as do many of the media folks. They'll continue to bash BP about his mantra until proven otherwise. When BP sticks around for 5-7 years or more, people will change their tune. But as many on this board, and across the state, know, grudges are hard to break. You harp on the media for jumping all over BP, yet do the same thing to Nutt.

Yup.  Because Nutt was a jerk who ran our team into the dirt because of his unbelievably huge stack of ego and his incredibly small stack of ability.  You know, if the man had just realized he was a crappy coach and taken advise from his coaching team, it would have been okay.  But, his ego always came first, not the team.

BP hasn't done anything but coach up the players he has had contact with.  Maybe, he has found his home and will stay here for 10-15 winning years.

But, everytime I hear the media suck up to the worst coach in college football (who has never proved his mantra) and trash Bobby Petrino, I am going to harp on the media