Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama, Texas, Florida and Auburn in consecutive weeks

Started by Hogdomer, September 10, 2008, 09:09:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogdomer

This is the toughest four week stretch I can remember as a Hog fan. 

This also made Texas' schedule a little harder, with us, at Colorado, OU and Mizzou in consecutive weeks now. 

cityhog

Blue35

Should be a very good training period for Petrino and his young players.

Bama Possum

Yep, everyone is about to run out of cupcakes for a while.

I really don't like the fact that ya'll are going to have some extra prep days for the Tide now.

GuvHog

Stupid, just plain stupid!!! Somebody up there in Fayetteville needs their head examined!!!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rizzohoghead

might be a blessing gives us extra time to prepair for Alabama, and give us time to get healthy and work some of the kinks out that showed up in the first two games.

Feralhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:17:06 pm
Stupid, just plain stupid!!! Somebody up there in Fayetteville needs their head examined!!!!
What the frik would you propose they do?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Rod6275

how about.... they come play up here.......or we  ust dont playthem at all..seeing  how  we  are  not playing them  next year due to the TX AM contract......lets skip the game on the 27th and  take the  week off to heal and  get a much needed break in the SEC...
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

Cave City Joe

"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

GuvHog

rizzohoghead

I say if we can win one of those games it would be big this is a learning season, so maybe this stretch of games will toughen us up and help us beat teams like miss st, ole miss, Tulsa, and Kentucky

Feralhog

Quote from: Rod6275 on September 10, 2008, 09:23:10 pm
how about.... they come play up here.......or we  ust dont playthem at all..seeing  how  we  are  not playing them  next year due to the TX AM contract......lets skip the game on the 27th and  take the  week off to heal and  get a much needed break in the SEC...
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

IMAballHawg

... all because of the possibility of some wind and rain.

Frankly we should cancel.  This is crap
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

GuvHog

Quote from: rizzohoghead on September 10, 2008, 09:24:39 pm
I say if we can win one of those games it would be big this is a learning season, so maybe this stretch of games will toughen us up and help us beat teams like miss st, ole miss, Tulsa, and Kentucky

Or most likely it'll put most of the Hog starters out for the rest of the season!!!

Lake City Hog

This makes for an unreal 4 weeks in a row, someone please names me a team that you think could survive 4 weeks in a row like this. Can anyone ever remember any team even facing such a schedule?

peakhog

I will still take 3-3 at the end of that stretch.
Besides the potential clean up in Texas after Ike could be overwhelming. They are still not back to normal in Baton Rouge.

HighcountryHog

all I know is that if the Hogs don't get some respect for grueling through this schedule WITH freshmen, then the sporting world can lick my balls.
no bumps, no fat chicks

OahuHawg

I say move the game down to Galveston and take Ike head on.......WE AREN'T SCARED OF YOU STUPID HURRICANE!!

hognelson

Quote from: highcount_hog on September 10, 2008, 09:33:17 pm
all I know is that if the Hogs don't get some respect for grueling through this schedule WITH freshmen, then the sporting world can lick my balls.
Amen to that brother!

PORKINATOR

My opinion, for what its worth, if you want to hunt with the big dogs, gotta get off the porch and play somebody. You want a nationally recognized  and ranked program, it starts with this four week  stretch of baptism under fire for the youngsters. You don't get better playing little sisters of the poor, and beating Ole Piss and Piss lite twice a year, we'll take our lumps this year and some next, but watch out in 2010.

Feralhog

September 10, 2008, 09:44:27 pm #20 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:46:52 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: PorkOpine on September 10, 2008, 09:33:48 pm
Why?  This is a rebuilding season and a bowl game is almost completely out of the question.  How would this young team be better served by playing only 11 games this fall?
Exactly, not to mention canceling the game all together would be a license to be BBQ'd by the entire football nation, PLUS, it would cost us millions in television revenue and more millions to reimburse Tejas for the millions they would lose.   I can't believe I was stupid enough to bite on this earlier.  This might be the single most ignorant proposition in the history of the internets.     

WBOBO

just a quote from the legendary darrel royal, "if a dog is gonna bite, he's gonna bite as a pup".  let
these pups get an extra three days for bama at HOME.  i'm more excited than ever.  bama is our
measuring stick, and we need a couple more days of practice to get ready for the SEC.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 10, 2008, 09:33:48 pm
Why?  This is a rebuilding season and a bowl game is almost completely out of the question.  How would this young team be better served by playing only 11 games this fall?

I happen to believe this Hog team has a good chance at a bowl, but if they play this stupid 4 game stretch there is a good chance that most of the starters could be lost for the season. Remember
the year Tennessee scored 63 points on the Hogs and embarrassed them on nationwide TV??? Thats
what happens when most of the starters on Both sides of the ball are out due to injury! Would you
care for a repeat??? Not me!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Feralhog on September 10, 2008, 09:44:27 pm
Exactly, not to mention canceling the game all together would be a license to be BBQ'd by the entire football nation, PLUS, it would cost us millions in television revenue and more millions to reimburse Tejas for the millions they would lose.   I can't believe I was stupid enough to bite on this earlier.  This mike be the single most ignorant proposition in the history of the internets.    

Then By George let em Bar-B-Que!!! What's right is right!!! Screw em all!!!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:24:38 pm
Cancel the blasted thing! Period!

Why?  So we may get a berth in the New Orleans Bowl?  Puleeease.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:44:38 pm
I happen to believe this Hog team has a good chance at a bowl, but if they play this stupid 4 game stretch there is a good chance that most of the starters could be lost for the season. Remember
the year Tennessee scored 63 points on the Hogs and embarrassed them on nationwide TV??? Thats
what happens when most of the starters on Both sides of the ball are out due to injury! Would you
Remember the 70 something to 14 S. Cal game nut produced by making it a sight-seeing vacation.  Maybe we shouldn't play at all.  That way we will never be embarrassed.  Fear is not a worthy motive for decisions.  If Arkansas wins enough games to go to a bowl, there will be many challenges.  Never run from an opportunity.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Feralhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:48:42 pm
Then By George let em Bar-B-Que!!! What's right is right!!! Screw em all!!!
you're regressing.  What about the millions in revenue we'd lose?  Screw that too?  Hell, I guess those millions we threw away on Nutt set a precedent, easy come easy go. 

Lake City Hog

Somebody, anybody name me one of the "big dogs" that has a schedule even close to this 4 game stretch. This is by most accounts the 2nd toughest schedule in the country, take out the bye week and I ain't sure its not #1.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:26:21 pm

Or most likely it'll put most of the Hog starters out for the rest of the season!!!

So let me get this straight.  We play this weekend, we survive fine with no injuries.  We play the same four games without a Saturday off, and MOST of our starters get hurt. 

My vote for stupidest post ever.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

September 10, 2008, 09:56:00 pm #29 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:58:52 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: bphi11ips on September 10, 2008, 09:50:56 pm
Why?  So we may get a berth in the New Orleans Bowl?  Puleeease.

No, the Music City Bowl. The SEC does not have a tie-in to the New Orleans Bowl.
It's C-USA vs SUNBELT. For this young team, the Music City Bowl would be a good Accomplishment. It would be a whole lot better than sacrificing those young men
just to look good PR wise!!!

Feralhog

I think I'll bow out of this thread while I still have a lick of sense left.

3kgthog

They've known about the last two hurricanes for 2 weeks. An alternative site with proper seating capacity could've been chosen and reserved just in case one of the hurricanes did hit Texas. That wasn't done and now we are losing our bye week in the middle of the toughest stretch of games in Razorback history. Failure to plan is planning to fail. Thank you Texas.

Hogdomer

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 10, 2008, 09:54:05 pm
So let me get this straight.  We play this weekend, we survive fine with no injuries.  We play the same four games without a Saturday off, and MOST of our starters get hurt. 

We would have had a Saturday off in between Alabama and Florida if the schedule wouldn't have been changed.

Choctaw Hog

Agreed.  Some of these post are absolutely ridiculous.  Play the damn game!

porkurina

Thank the Lord we have a different coaching staff for this four week run.

budcampbellfan

I agree.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

El Puerco

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 10, 2008, 09:44:38 pm

When you get a chance, can you get me the data that show that players are more likely to be injured if they alter the sequence of their off-week?  Nevermind, I found it.  I see here how Mcfadden's toe and Monk's knee were injured by playing too many SEC games in a row.

GuvHog

Nothing stupid about it. IF the game had been played this weekend, you would've had 2
heavyweights back to back (Texas, Alabama), then 2 weeks to heal, then 2 more heavyweights back to back (Florida, Auburn), and maybe you get through that stretch mostly healthy. Instead
we have this week off and play all 4 heavyweights back to back and we'll be lucky if we don't
have more starters on the bench for Ole Miss than are playing. You are looking at a young team
that will be beaten and battered and possibly their confidence shattered after a 4 consecutive
game stretch like that.

PORKINATOR

Uhhh, competition at the highest level always makes you stronger. As someone else said, never run from a challenge. Our schedule is our schedule. It was set before most of the players and almost all of the current coaches were even on the hill. btw last time I checked, they don't give out trophies for toughest schedule, or for just trying to win, Only for winning, so Just win, baby. Al Davis.

GuvHog

Quote from: PORKINATOR on September 10, 2008, 10:11:18 pm
Uhhh, competition at the highest level always makes you stronger. As someone else said, never run from a challenge. Our schedule is our schedule. It was set before most of the players and almost all of the current coaches were even on the hill. btw last time I checked, they don't give out trophies for toughest schedule, or for just trying to win, Only for winning, so Just win, baby. Al Davis.

standing up to a challenge is one thing, But Committing blatant SUICIDE is quite another!!!
Stupid, just plain stupid!!!

elksnort

Some of you guys?

You play the darn game the 27th of September. It is not like they have to play two games in a day like Georgia did in basketball.

If Arkansas wants to be big time, then step up and challenge some of these teams.

GuvHog

Quote from: elksnort on September 10, 2008, 10:28:51 pm
Some of you guys?

You play the darn game the 27th of September. It is not like they have to play two games in a day like Georgia did in basketball.

If Arkansas wants to be big time, then step up and challenge some of these teams.

Oh they're going to step up alright, the decision has been made to play on Sept. 27th. We'll be lucky
if half of the Hog team is physicly able to play against Ole Miss. They will be in my prayers 'cause
they're certainly gonna need it!!!

elksnort

Just because the other team is better does not mean that our team is going to physically get beat.

We got size and speed also. If Petrino's off season camp was so bad a$$, then these guys ought to be able to handle it, even though they might get their a**es beat on the scoreboard.

hview

If you want to be great, play the best. I say we win some of these gains. I just hope we've got enough players to suit up after this stretch.

Arkapigdiesel

I foresee a win-less September.  Frick.

CBP will right the ship sooner than later.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

verticalhog

I like the schedule change.  Alabama is a conference game and is, therefore, more important to us.  If Petrino had any sort of new wrinkles that weren't used in the first two games, he can now save those for Alabama.  I would also say that an open date can have negative consequences just as well as positive.  I don't think we'll be any worse off by having the open date now.

hawaiianhogster

I just hope by the time we play Florida we have an upset in the making. Yea this schedule doesn't look good for a team that is learning to win. It can happen since we play the game on the field. I wish our team the best. Use this week to ready for Alabama. Maybe the extra time will get us prepared better and any injuries gone.

Remember to Believe.

jgphillips3

I was against rescheduling the game into our off week at first.  However, the more I have thought about it, it does one good thing for us.  Any rational person would have to say that of Texas, Florida, Alabama and Auburn, Alabama and Auburn are the two games that we have the best shot of winning.  Now, we get a week and a half to plan for Alabama.  While Texas is a huge game to us for historical reasons, beating Alabama would be more meaningful in conference and so improving our odds of beating them is a plus.  IF...repeat...IF having this extra time to focus on our conference opponent gives us a better chance of beating Alabama, then it is a good thing.  Now, a better chance doesn't mean we will beat Bama, but improving the odds is fine with me. 

Also - and I know this is crazy talk - say we beat Bama and look much improved.  I would think our chances of putting up a better fight with Texas would be improved and even if we lose we wouldn't lose by as much due to the team getting extra practice reps between now and then.  Maybe this silly storm will be a blessing after all.  I hate losing the open date, but maybe it will help us.  Lord knows we need all the help we can get at this point with the schedule we are facing.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on September 10, 2008, 10:41:45 pm
I foresee a win-less September.  Frick.

Ummm...we beat ULM on September 6.  So it won't be a "winless" September.   :)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 10, 2008, 09:09:17 pm
This is the toughest four week stretch I can remember as a Hog fan. 

This also made Texas' schedule a little harder, with us, at Colorado, OU and Mizzou in consecutive weeks now. 

Otherwise known as, "Murderer's Row". We will be two of four in this stretch of games. Surprised? You shouldn't be. Can you say, "Bobby Petrino?"
Go Hogs Go!