Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hurrican Ike and the Texas game [merged]

Started by Razorvet, September 09, 2008, 11:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

taintlint

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 01:36:49 pm
This may need it's own thread but just for fun......

If the Texas AD calls Fayetteville and says "Lets reschedule for the 27th", does Long go to Petrino and say "So, do you really want to play these guys because, ummmm, "logistically" we may be unable to come to terms on rescheduling."?

I'm not saying Petrino or Long don't have a set but considering that including Texas, our next 4 opponents are in the Ap Top 11, it might be in Arkansas best interest to be "unable" to reschedule.

I'll hang up and listen.

Any takers?

Hawgon

Dude, once again, it ain't the weather.  If it looks like the hurricane is going to hit Texas, they will evacuate the entire coast between Corpus and Houston.  A lot of people live in that strip.  It will swamp San Antonio and Austin, or for that matter Texarkana and Tyler with tons of extra people.

Remember the hurricane that hit Texas right after Katrina?  They turned I-45 into a one way street headed north.  If it hits a little more south, they may do that to I-35.  It will be a nightmare and the last thing Austin would need, is an extra 75,000 people coming in for a football game.

All the local churches around here were full last week with evacuees and that hurricane was a dud.  We're a lot farther north than Austin.

taintlint

If the Texas AD calls Fayetteville and says "Lets reschedule for the 27th", does Long go to Petrino and say "So, do you really want to play these guys because, ummmm, "logistically" we may be unable to come to terms on rescheduling."?

I'm not saying Petrino or Long don't have a set but considering that including Texas, our next 4 opponents are in the Ap Top 11, it might be in Arkansas best interest to be "unable" to reschedule.

I'll hang up and listen.

I know someone has an opinion on the matter. :)

itsonlyagame

September 09, 2008, 01:48:26 pm #53 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:51:07 pm by itsonlyagame
Sitting down here in San Antonio, I'm not feeling as comfortable as some of you. Noon weather places best bet for landfall at Corpus. This morning they had it drifting south of Corpus. In this part of the country, more scared of the rain than anything else. In last decade, two(2) hundred-year floods already. No evacuees here yet, but I think that's all about to change.

Clint Alan

Friend of mine(school teacher) who lives in Corpus says they are closing down her school after today. Expecting mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow evening.

Also says she cannot find a hotel room in Austin.

Im betting on this game not happening........
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on September 09, 2008, 01:45:00 pm
Dude, once again, it ain't the weather.  If it looks like the hurricane is going to hit Texas, they will evacuate the entire coast between Corpus and Houston.  A lot of people live in that strip.  It will swamp San Antonio and Austin, or for that matter Texarkana and Tyler with tons of extra people.

Remember the hurricane that hit Texas right after Katrina?  They turned I-45 into a one way street headed north.  If it hits a little more south, they may do that to I-35.  It will be a nightmare and the last thing Austin would need, is an extra 75,000 people coming in for a football game.

All the local churches around here were full last week with evacuees and that hurricane was a dud.  We're a lot farther north than Austin.

Remember all the hurricanes that EVER hit the Texas coast before Katrina and Rita?  How many of them ever did major, concentrated damage more than 60 miles inland?

Once again, there is absolutely no reason for any Texan who lives more than 50 miles from the coast to go anywhere.  There is no reason for anyone who lives in Houston itself, or any of the northern or western suburbs, to get in a car and drive to Austin.

How many hotel rooms are there within 200 miles of the Texas coast?  Why would anyone NEED to drive all the way to Austin?  I didn't ask why anyone would decide to drive to Austin, but why they would NEED to go that far. 

And hell, if they are determined to run 250 miles inland to get away from 50 mph winds, rain, hail, and thunderstorms...they can keep heading right up I-35 to Temple or Waco.  The hotel rooms will probably be cheaper there, anyway.

This is once again a matter of overblowing and overreacting, which seems to be what we do best in this country these days.

Every hurricane is not Katrina, and every city is not New Orleans...and I don't care what Governor Perry, the local TV news babe, or DeLoss Dodds says to the contrary.

Hawgon

QuoteThis is once again a matter of overblowing and overreacting, which seems to be what we do best in this country these days.

Every hurricane is not Katrina, and every city is not New Orleans...and I don't care what Governor Perry, the local TV news babe, or DeLoss Dodds says to the contrary.

Who gives a darn about whether they are overreacting?  Go to the political board if you want to make a statement about how pussified we have become.  This thread is about what will happen if there is a MANDATORY evacuation of the Texas coast.  If that happens, there will be millions of people needing a place to stay.  A lot of them will end up in Austin.  That could very well impact our game.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: rubmyHOG on September 09, 2008, 01:53:02 pm
Friend of mine(school teacher) who lives in Corpus says they are closing down her school after today. Expecting mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow evening.

Also says she cannot find a hotel room in Austin.

Im betting on this game not happening........
You and me both.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

Jim Harris

Quote from: Razorvet on September 09, 2008, 11:38:15 am
Ok I give up. Someone post this picture.http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/092814.shtml?5day?large#contents

Ike is headed for Texas and is scheduled to make landfall Sat. If they evacuate the coast they will turn the freeway into a one way road out of the gulf. The game will have to be moved or postponed. Someone has to have thought of this by now.

Could the game end up here?

More important do you think heading down Thursday is a bad idea?

I would hate to get turned around.

I will drive down as late as Saturday if it looks clear.

What will you do?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/092814.shtml?5day?large#contents

Austin is not on the gulf. Houston is just off the gulf. Austin will not be evacuated because of Hurricane Ike.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 01:46:15 pm
I know someone has an opinion on the matter. :)

Is Weber State available on the 27th?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

pitbull1

There will be more wind coming from the shorthorn faithful, than from hurricane Ike itself!!  Wind from from Ike around 80mph/shorthorns 160mph.......!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: drakehog on September 09, 2008, 02:03:10 pm
Austin is not on the gulf. Houston is just off the gulf. Austin will not be evacuated because of Hurricane Ike.

But if they order evacuations of Corpus, Houston, and the rest of the Texas coast, Austin will be impacted.  Heck, We had full Hotels here in Fort Smith, from the Louisiana evacuees.  Not to mention 4k people placed at Chaffee.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: longhornation on September 09, 2008, 11:46:56 am
Texas is a little different then arky .  We have more than 1 major roadway(ie: nwa).  The last time i looked Austin was not on the coast, so thanks for sucking
Keeping with the hurricane theme.................Blow Me

SRFL

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 01:56:20 pm
Remember all the hurricanes that EVER hit the Texas coast before Katrina and Rita?  How many of them ever did major, concentrated damage more than 60 miles inland?

Once again, there is absolutely no reason for any Texan who lives more than 50 miles from the coast to go anywhere.  There is no reason for anyone who lives in Houston itself, or any of the northern or western suburbs, to get in a car and drive to Austin.

How many hotel rooms are there within 200 miles of the Texas coast?  Why would anyone NEED to drive all the way to Austin?  I didn't ask why anyone would decide to drive to Austin, but why they would NEED to go that far. 

And hell, if they are determined to run 250 miles inland to get away from 50 mph winds, rain, hail, and thunderstorms...they can keep heading right up I-35 to Temple or Waco.  The hotel rooms will probably be cheaper there, anyway.

This is once again a matter of overblowing and overreacting, which seems to be what we do best in this country these days.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about Tyler boy.  Call the Jasper police department and ask them what happened to their town during Rita.  Diboll.  Several towns far inland from the coast.  Baton Rouge isn't a sandy beach town either ya know.

This is about prevention bud.  And there is no way in hell Rick Perry will ever be caught with his pants down after what happened to our neighbors to the east.  There is no way, NO WAY Rick Perry allows fans from all burgs to come into Austin with little way to get out when evac plans are put into motion.

Get a clue.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2008, 02:12:30 pm
But if they order evacuations of Corpus, Houston, and the rest of the Texas coast, Austin will be impacted.  Heck, We had full Hotels here in Fort Smith, from the Louisiana evacuees.  Not to mention 4k people placed at Chaffee.

That's insane. 

ONCE AGAIN...the evacuees are not going to be camping out on the turf at Royal Memorial Stadium in Austin.  They will be in hotels, churches, or other local shelters.

Might fans have a hard time fighting traffic to get to the stadium?  Yes.  Might there be overcrowding, or overbooking, at hotels?  Absolutely.  But I bet there would still be at least 60,000-70,000 in the stands regardless.

There is no good reason to cancel this football game, other than to make it seem like we really "care" about the hurricane and evacuees.

SRFL

I am officially embarrased that you are from East Texas.  It's very apparent you only "care" about yourself, and that's not how it works in the Piney Woods.

EastexHawg

Quote from: SRFL on September 09, 2008, 02:29:50 pm

This is about prevention bud.  And there is no way in hell Rick Perry will ever be caught with his pants down after what happened to our neighbors to the east.  There is no way, NO WAY Rick Perry allows fans from all burgs to come into Austin with little way to get out when evac plans are put into motion.

Exactly.  There is NO WAY that Rick Perry is going to let Kay Bailey Huchison, or whoever the Democrat nominee may be, tell voters that the Governor cared so little about them during a hurricane that he didn't even prevent a football game from being played.

As for Jasper...re-read my post and you may notice a couple of things.  First of all, Jasper is only about 60 miles from the coast, not 250.  Second, more people were killed RUNNING FROM the storm than from the hurricane itself.  How many people were killed or injured in Jasper or Diboll?

Third...Rita was the most intense cyclone in the HISTORY of the Gulf of Mexico.  Ike is currently a category one. 

Were there trees blown down from the Texas coast through the Jasper/Diboll/Lufkin areas?  Yes.  But there were only SEVEN people actually killed by the storm itself, while 23 were killed in one bus accident near Dallas trying to evacuate.

If you live more than 100 miles from the coast and decide to pack up and run from a hurricane, I'm not sure how you can stand to live in Texas, or anywhere else for that matter.  You must spend your entire life worrying that a tornado, lightning bolt, flash flood, ice storm, straight line thunderstorm wind, or Volkswagen sized hail stone is going to kill you.

EastexHawg

Quote from: SRFL on September 09, 2008, 02:46:21 pm
I am officially embarrased that you are from East Texas.  It's very apparent you only "care" about yourself, and that's not how it works in the Piney Woods.

And I'm embarrassed that so many of my fellow East Texans know so little about weather and geography...and that they start foaming at the mouth and panicking over a hurricane that is hitting a coastline 100-300 miles away from them.

ark525

As someone who lived in coastal areas for much of his life, the idea of postponing a game 170 miles inland due to a hurricane is laughable.  I lived through 4 hurricanes 2 miles from the atlantic coast in FL.  90% of the major damage wrought by hurricanes occurs from storm surge.  That is why New Orleans got hammered.  That is why so many coastal towns get hammered.  If you are inland anywhere far enough to avoid storm surge (usually only a mile or so), the only thing you have to worry about is a little wind damage.

Austin is 170 miles inland.  There's no way storm surge is getting to it.  Sure, it will rain and there will be some wind, but the worst case scenario is a few downed trees and maybe a little bit of roofing and some flooding due to rain.  Thats it.

And for those of you suggesting we reschedule the game for Fayetteville on the 27th- it ain't happening.  Fayetteville is completely booked that weekend with Bikes, Blues and Barbecue and there won't be any rooms, campgrounds, or roads available for traveling fans.  No way that happens.

Landonhog

September 09, 2008, 03:35:21 pm #70 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:42:00 pm by Landonhog
Quote from: lookinupthehill on September 09, 2008, 12:33:48 pm
It's Bush's best only plan for stimulating the economy...  FEAR!!!

Why on earth would the government have to have a "plan" in the first place?  Why can't the general population have enough responsibility to keep an eye on the weather if they know they live in an area commonly affected by storms...  I'm constantly amazed at how many people have such a strong desire to be so reliant on the government for so many things.  How pathetic have we become?  I guess we'll eventually just mail our income to DC each month and let them decide which government program needs it and how they'll spread it back to all the baby birds in the nest...   

Off topic, I know; but if you're tired of the government overreacting in situations just like this, then stop blaming them for every hardship that lands on your doorstep.  Be accountable and help yourselves.  :razorback: 

Landonhog

Hawgon

Quote from: ark525 on September 09, 2008, 03:19:31 pm
As someone who lived in coastal areas for much of his life, the idea of postponing a game 170 miles inland due to a hurricane is laughable.  I lived through 4 hurricanes 2 miles from the atlantic coast in FL.  90% of the major damage wrought by hurricanes occurs from storm surge.  That is why New Orleans got hammered.  That is why so many coastal towns get hammered.  If you are inland anywhere far enough to avoid storm surge (usually only a mile or so), the only thing you have to worry about is a little wind damage.

Austin is 170 miles inland.  There's no way storm surge is getting to it.  Sure, it will rain and there will be some wind, but the worst case scenario is a few downed trees and maybe a little bit of roofing and some flooding due to rain.  Thats it.

And for those of you suggesting we reschedule the game for Fayetteville on the 27th- it ain't happening.  Fayetteville is completely booked that weekend with Bikes, Blues and Barbecue and there won't be any rooms, campgrounds, or roads available for traveling fans.  No way that happens.

Once again, if it is postponed, it won't be because of the weather in Austin.  It will be because of the refugees flooding into Austin.

hogsanity

Quote from: ark525 on September 09, 2008, 03:19:31 pm

AGAIN, it has NOTHING TO DO with fear of damage in Austin, it has to do with MANDATORY evacuations of coastal cities which are as much about getting people out of town to avoid the lack of services ( power, water, gas, etc ). 

I am not saying it is right or wrong to do this, but, if they have to evacuate a large area of the Texas coast, it is likely that the roads will be contra flow, and the evacuees have to go somewhere. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

taintlint

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2008, 03:44:11 pm
AGAIN, it has NOTHING TO DO with fear of damage in Austin, it has to do with MANDATORY evacuations of coastal cities which are as much about getting people out of town to avoid the lack of services ( power, water, gas, etc ). 

I am not saying it is right or wrong to do this, but, if they have to evacuate a large area of the Texas coast, it is likely that the roads will be contra flow, and the evacuees have to go somewhere. 

Sanity we agree. Right down the date and time.

Now go answer my post in Reply #50. I want your take.

hogsanity

I'll hang up and listen.

I think they go ahead and play.  If they had not already put off the return game to 2014, or whenever, they might take the "out" if presented to them.  I also think Petrino would rather take the loss and the experience instead of trying to find another cupcake ( which we could lose to ) or only playing 11 games. 

Bama Hog™

Quote from: longhornation on September 09, 2008, 11:46:56 am
Texas is a little different then arky .  We have more than 1 major roadway(ie: nwa).  The last time i looked Austin was not on the coast, so thanks for sucking

I got a giant steaming samich for you right here.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

hogsanity

The newest forecast show tropical storm, by then, Ike parked right over Austin on 2pm Sat.

www.nhc.noaa.gov

opineonswine

HoopS

If we, the Texas coast, must evacuate, the UT campus may well be used.....per Dodds. 

This needs to hit south of Corpus.

hogsanity

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 09, 2008, 04:15:00 pm
A lot of those rooms were full because Arkansas was playing in Fayetteville that weekend. And, as far as I know, no football fan had their reservations cancelled and given to an evacuee.

Even if people evac to Austin, the game shouldn't be affected by it.

I was going by the license plates in the parking lots, especially in the Hotels at the Rogers ave exit.  This was on Tuesday and Wed.

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: Landonhog on September 09, 2008, 03:35:21 pm
Why on earth would the government have to have a "plan" in the first place?  Why can't the general population have enough responsibility to keep an eye on the weather if they know they live in an area commonly affected by storms...  I'm constantly amazed at how many people have such a strong desire to be so reliant on the government for so many things.  How pathetic have we become?  I guess we'll eventually just mail our income to DC each month and let them decide which government program needs it and how they'll spread it back to all the baby birds in the nest...   

Off topic, I know; but if you're tired of the government overreacting in situations just like this, then stop blaming them for every hardship that lands on your doorstep.  Be accountable and help yourselves.  :razorback: 
Amen!

HighcountryHog

The track is exactly what I thought it would do from the beginning.  That's put rain hitting Austin starting Friday night possibly. Austin could be in for some serious rain and wind.  I would love to play this game.  We would win!
no bumps, no fat chicks

taintlint

September 09, 2008, 04:33:42 pm #84 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 05:27:11 pm by taintlint
The local news here in Austin has a "projection" of it being just south of San Antonio, a fart away from Austin (45 min drive), at 1pm Saturday with gust up to 70mph and right on top of Austin at 2. If it continues to look this way, especially for the next 24 hours, there will be no game. And even if the weather in Austin is Sunny and 100, the coastal evacuations will be enough for the AD to say "no".

IMHO, the game is done.

Edit: 5:26pmAccording to the 5pm local Austin news, the "official projection" (take that for what it's worth), is that Austin will be hit at 2pm (I kid you not) with SUSTAINED 70mph winds and gusts up to 90MPH.

Razorbanker$$

I live in Memphis and it was full of evacuees over Labor Day weekend, and so was Desoto County, MS.  There were few if any hotel rooms available.  Again, its not about the hurricane in Austin, its about the evacuees on the Texas needing somewhere to go and not having all resources tied up for a football game.

hogsanity

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 04:33:42 pm
The local news here in Austin has a "projection" of it being just south of San Antonio, a fart away from Austin (45 min drive), at 1pm Saturday with gust up to 70mph. If it continues to look this way, especially for the next 24 hours, there will be no game. And even if the weather in Austin is Sunny and 100, the coastal evacuations will be enough for the AD to say "no".

IMHO, the game is done.

At least 1 mod has it reaching Cat 4 strength by Thursday, looks like Carpus and Galveston will be issued some sort of evacuation orders tonight or tomorrow. 

HognotinMemphis

Someone better tell Ike that you don't mess with Texas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

EastexHawg

September 09, 2008, 04:44:52 pm #88 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:48:58 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 04:33:42 pm
The local news here in Austin has a "projection" of it being just south of San Antonio, a fart away from Austin (45 min drive), at 1pm Saturday with gust up to 70mph and right on top of Austin at 2. If it continues to look this way, especially for the next 24 hours, there will be no game. And even if the weather in Austin is Sunny and 100, the coastal evacuations will be enough for the AD to say "no".

Yeah, and the forecast for Gustav called for 45-55 mph winds and 10-20 inches of rain in Tyler.  The local TV stations acted like we were on the beach at Pass Christian with Camille bearing down on us.  "Start putting together your disaster survival kit NOW!"

We got winds of about 20-25 mph and a quarter of an inch of rain.

Ike's winds are only 75 mph now, with most of the storm over the waters surrounding Cuba.  Does anyone really believe it is going to hold together well enough to blow 70 mph in Austin, 220 miles inland?

I've got $20 that says there will be no 70 mph winds in Austin on Saturday afternoon, at least not from Ike.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 04:44:52 pm
Yeah, and the forecast for Gustav called for 45-55 mph winds and 10-20 inches of rain in Tyler.  The local TV stations acted like we were on the beach at Pass Christian with Camille bearing down on us.  "Start putting together your disaster survival kit NOW!"

Ike's winds are only 75 mph now, with most of the storm over the waters surrounding Cuba.  Does anyone really believe it is going to hold together well enough to blow 70 mph in Austin, 220 miles inland?

I've got $20 that says there will be no 70 mph winds in Austin on Saturday afternoon, at least not from Ike.

The thing is, they cant/wont wait til then to make the call. 

taintlint

September 09, 2008, 04:48:53 pm #90 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:53:43 pm by taintlint

Eastex, once again, I agree with you but you have to go with "perception". People FREAK over this sort of thing. It's like in Arkansas when the weatherman says the word "flurries" and the grocery stores turn into a circus.

Same thing here. The coast will be evacuated, maybe wrongfully, and officials will overreact in order to not look like the next Katrina debacle.

Will it be an overreaction? Probably. But you are giving Joe Public and the public officials they take their marching orders from WAAAAAAY too much credit. People aren't going to use common sense. They will do as they are told and that means public officials have to be safe, rather than sorry.

Those with a job on the line are not going to wait around.

threeNout

September 09, 2008, 04:55:05 pm #91 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:59:16 pm by threeNout
best case scenario, game gets moved up to 10am

worst case scenario, it's resecheduled for Sept 27.

we need that bye week between Bama and Florida

hogsanity

Quote from: threeNout on September 09, 2008, 04:55:05 pm
best case scenario, game gets moved up to 10am

worst case scenario, it's resecheduled for Sept 27.

we need that bye week between Bama and Florida

moving this one up wnt help because the evacuations will have started 24-48 hours BEFORE the game.  They moved the LUS game up, because most evacuations were going to be AFTER the new game time ( LSU/APP ST ).

If they cant play at the shceduled time, I think it will be the 27th or not at all.

Tammany Tom

Now you boys and girls get to experience (in a very distant way) what we go through every hurricane season. It's not fun.

The way the models and the NHC have shifted this storm every day for a week now, who knows where this thing will really hit. I really don't like the way the models now have this storm going north and then NE after hitting TX. If it goes slower than projected in the gulf then it could swing north to SW Louisiana.

Rita was projected to go south of Houston 3 days out in 2005 and hit the TX/LA border.

This game may affect your game in Austin and it may still affect our game in Baton Rouge. When Rita hit, I experienced wind gusts of 30-40 mph and rain over 200 miles away in SE Louisiana.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 09, 2008, 05:04:23 pm
Now you boys and girls get to experience (in a very distant way) what we go through every hurricane season. It's not fun.

The way the models and the NHC have shifted this storm every day for a week now, who knows where this thing will really hit. I really don't like the way the models now have this storm going north and then NE after hitting TX. If it goes slower than projected in the gulf then it could swing north to SW Louisiana.

Rita was projected to go south of Houston 3 days out in 2005 and hit the TX/LA border.

This game may affect your game in Austin and it may still affect our game in Baton Rouge. When Rita hit, I experienced wind gusts of 30-40 mph and rain over 200 miles away in SE Louisiana.

Now we get to experience it?

Do you realize what Gustav did to Arkansas last week?
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

hogsanity

Quote from: Tammany Tom on September 09, 2008, 05:04:23 pm

And that is why they cant wait til game time to make a decision.

hogsanity

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on September 09, 2008, 05:10:17 pm
Now we get to experience it?

Do you realize what Gustav did to Arkansas last week?

Uh, no offense, but none of us had to get out of town because of the fear that our houses might be washed over by waves.

SRFL

I'll take that bet.  Let's make it $50.00.

The rain was forced east last Monday and into Arkansas but the winds did hit 30 plus in ET.  The mist blown up from the coast settled over ET for 3 days. 

If anyone would like to proxy the bet, I'll send my money via paypal upon agreement by ETH with the assumption he does the same.  Winner paid the $100.00.

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2008, 05:13:20 pm
Uh, no offense, but none of us had to get out of town because of the fear that our houses might be washed over by waves.

In no way am I minimalizing the effect a hurricane can have on those that live directly within the reach of a storm surge (about 1 mile inland from the coast) or in a bowl surrounded by water (New Orleans).

I am saying that Arkansas was directly affected by Gustav so it is easy to argue that we have felt the effects of a hurricane in the past. 
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

taintlint

According to the 5pm local Austin news, the "official projection" (take that for what it's worth), is that Austin will be hit at 2pm (I kid you not) with SUSTAINED 70mph winds and gusts up to 90MPH.

Now, there is ALOT of time between now and then and the weather may be beautiful, but if this "projection" holds true for another 24 hours there is not a sane official in the state of Texas that will not evacuate the coast, forcing the UT AD to cancel.

Folks, there wont be a game, regardless of Austin weather. Austin is the PRIMARY evacuation point for the City of Galveston and the overflow spot for multiple other cities.