Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hurrican Ike and the Texas game [merged]

Started by Razorvet, September 09, 2008, 11:38:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorvet

September 09, 2008, 11:38:15 am Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:26:07 pm by Razorvet
Ok I give up. Someone post this picture.http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/092814.shtml?5day?large#contents

Ike is headed for Texas and is scheduled to make landfall Sat. If they evacuate the coast they will turn the freeway into a one way road out of the gulf. The game will have to be moved or postponed. Someone has to have thought of this by now.

Could the game end up here?

More important do you think heading down Thursday is a bad idea?

I would hate to get turned around.

I will drive down as late as Saturday if it looks clear.

What will you do?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/092814.shtml?5day?large#contents

McKdaddy

The sky isn't falling--my plans haven't changed.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

OnYourToes

Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Razorvet

Quote from: longhornation on September 09, 2008, 11:46:56 am
Texas is a little different then arky .  We have more than 1 major roadway(ie: nwa).  The last time i looked Austin was not on the coast, so thanks for sucking

If there is a God in heaven he will wipe you and your ilk off the face of the earth. Wow that Mack Brown is some coach. Ran off Jevan Snead to keep Colt. Snead is by far the better QB. Must be kin to the coach or a big booster. That one is gna come back to bite him. Of course he keeps his retarded brother on the sidelines even after the dope picked up a ball while it was still in play so I dont expect anything more from him.

DEVIL DOG HOG

If anything they may move the game time ahead, Like LSU and App.State game was.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hawgitect

Uncle_dad

We're just afraid that all of the shorthorn sucking is going to pull the storm in.  Also, the traffic on I-35 makes all of our dirt roads look like the Autobahn.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Uncle_dad on September 09, 2008, 11:59:32 am
We're just afraid that all of the shorthorn sucking is going to pull the storm in.  Also, the traffic on I-35 makes all of our dirt roads look like the Autobahn.
Shorthorns suck pretty damn hard. You may be right, Uncle_dad!  8)

taintlint

September 09, 2008, 12:08:53 pm #8 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:17:27 pm by taintlint
Athletics director DeLoss Dodds told the American-Statesman Tuesday morning that "we're trying to look at all our options."....

If the game is postponed, it could be scheduled Sept. 27, when both the Longhorns and Razorbacks have a bye week.......

Dodds said he'd have to consider contingency plans if the state "locks down all our roads and the campus is used for an evacuation spot."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/09/09/ike_may_threate.html

I still see this as a slim chance but wouldn't pushing it back only benefit us?

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

DubHawg

Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Landonhog

COCHISE

Texas is a little different then arky .  We have more than 1 major roadway(ie: nwa).  The last time i looked Austin was not on the coast, so thanks for sucking
No sir, thank YOU for sucking...

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/09/09/ike_may_threate.html

EastexHawg

The overreaction caused by all the Katrina hype is amazing.  Last week, on the day that Gustav made landfall in Louisiana, my wife and I went into Wal-Mart for a few items.  One of the things we needed was bread.

Well, we were out of luck.  ALMOST EVERY LOAF OF BREAD IN THE STORE WAS GONE, other than the Sara Lee stuff that their rep was stocking while we were there.

We saw people with entire shopping carts full of bottled water.  There were people everywhere whose carts were so full they were overflowing...or they were pushing one and pulling another.

There were two pallets at the front of the store, one with flashlights and one full of batteries.  I told my wife I expected some moron to come driving in with a forklift and load up all of them.

What do these people think was going to happen?  Tyler is about 275 miles inland from the nearest point on the Texas coast.  Not only that, but THE DAMN HURRICANE HAD ALREADY MADE LANDFALL...IN LOUISIANA...SEVEN HOURS EARLIER.  It was already down to a category one, and was still 350 miles away from us.

Crap, what were they thinking...that a giant tsunami was going to blast out of the Gulf, reach Tyler (about 400 feet above sea level)...and that their bottled water and flashlights were going to save them?

How many freaking hurricanes have hit the Gulf Coast in the last 250 years?  And exactly how many of them have caused catastrophic damage 100 miles or more inland?

Geez, people, unless you live near the coast and BELOW SEA LEVEL...a.k.a. in New Orleans...I don't think you really have to worry about another Katrina-like scenario.

But, since so many people (especially politicians) took so much heat because so many stupid New Orleans residents ignored the warnings that they had been hearing not only for days as Katrina approached, but for decades due to the negative altitude and levee system there, now everyone has to overreact about 10,000 fold every time a hurricane blows up in the Gulf.

Rant over.

California Hog

I don't think it will be that big of an issue. The weather may be bad, but I don't think it will be bad enough to postpone the game.

HighcountryHog

could be a blessing.  we get more time to get our stuff together before playing them.  but, that means we gotta start SEC play with Bama, Florida, and Auburn. 
no bumps, no fat chicks

taintlint

September 09, 2008, 12:25:18 pm #16 Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:28:01 pm by taintlint
 :'(

taintlint

No one is too concerned about the weather in Austin, much like Baton Rouge is not exactly going to suffer the full blow of a hurricane. The concern is that Austin and San Antonio are points that people will "flee" to. If the Governor starts declaring disaster areas ahead of time, you know where this is going.......

The weather in Austin may be fine but that will not matter.

DeltaBoy

Well as long as they honor the ticket I paid a total of $91.00 for I am OK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bigfoot

I can see the headlines now!                                                                                                                                                   
Hurricane Ike winds propel Hogs to victory!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Papawhog

I believe that was actually M.Brown's step-son who touched the ball while still in play. I tell ya, they got some smart ones down there.

Razorvet

Quote from: Papawhog on September 09, 2008, 12:29:04 pm
I believe that was actually M.Brown's step-son who touched the ball while still in play. I tell ya, they got some smart ones down there.

I think it was his stepson and his brother. Thats how those horns roll.

EastexHawg

From the Weather Channel regarding Austin weather for Saturday:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX0057?dp=windsdp

40% chance of rain.  NE winds at 22 mph.

If we cancelled every event with weather like that forecast, no one would ever play golf in Scotland...or Florida.

We have become a nation of pantywaists.

taintlint

On a positive note, if it were moved to the 27th, that is the Austin City Limits Music Festival weekend. You can go to Zolker park with hundreds of thousands of hippies and watch incredible performances. :)

taintlint

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 12:31:30 pm
From the Weather Channel regarding Austin weather for Saturday:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX0057?dp=windsdp

40% chance of rain.  NE winds at 22 mph.

If we cancelled every event with weather like that forecast, no one would ever play golf in Scotland...or Florida.

We have become a nation of pantywaists.

It's not the weather in Austin. It could be sunny and 100. It's the point that the entire coast would be fleeing to Austin.

If an Earthquake wiped half of NW Arkansas off the map and Fayetteville stood unscathed, the game would be postponed.

threeNout

I think it is to our advantage to play it now, no postponing.

We'll likley need that bye week later on down the road, conference play is what is going to matter then.

I also think this is the best time to ambush them.

Best case scenario IMO is to have the game moved up to 10 or 1030 am, and then play it in perfect weather.

EastexHawg

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 12:32:14 pm
It's not the weather. It could be sunny and 100. It's the point that the entire coast would be fleeing to Austin.

Are they going to bunk down on the football field?

hogsanity

The storm will do an abrupt turn and head for the FLA panhandle.  Why?  Because i am supposed to be on the beach in Destin Sat afternoon. 

Seriously, I think there is a 25% chance the game is moved/postponed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

taintlint

Quote from: threeNout on September 09, 2008, 12:32:40 pm
and then play it in perfect weather.

It's not the weather IN Austin that is the concern.

lookinupthehill

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 12:21:37 pm
The overreaction caused by all the Katrina hype is amazing.  Last week, on the day that Gustav made landfall in Louisiana, my wife and I went into Wal-Mart for a few items.  One of the things we needed was bread.

Well, we were out of luck.  ALMOST EVERY LOAF OF BREAD IN THE STORE WAS GONE, other than the Sara Lee stuff that their rep was stocking while we were there.

We saw people with entire shopping carts full of bottled water.  There were people everywhere whose carts were so full they were overflowing...or they were pushing one and pulling another.

There were two pallets at the front of the store, one with flashlights and one full of batteries.  I told my wife I expected some moron to come driving in with a forklift and load up all of them.

What do these people think was going to happen?  Tyler is about 275 miles inland from the nearest point on the Texas coast.  Not only that, but THE DAMN HURRICANE HAD ALREADY MADE LANDFALL...IN LOUISIANA...SEVEN HOURS EARLIER.  It was already down to a category one, and was still 350 miles away from us.

Crap, what were they thinking...that a giant tsunami was going to blast out of the Gulf, reach Tyler (about 400 feet above sea level)...and that their bottled water and flashlights were going to save them?

How many freaking hurricanes have hit the Gulf Coast in the last 250 years?  And exactly how many of them have caused catastrophic damage 100 miles or more inland?

Geez, people, unless you live near the coast and BELOW SEA LEVEL...a.k.a. in New Orleans...I don't think you really have to worry about another Katrina-like scenario.

But, since so many people (especially politicians) took so much heat because so many stupid New Orleans residents ignored the warnings that they had been hearing not only for days as Katrina approached, but for decades due to the negative altitude and levee system there, now everyone has to overreact about 10,000 fold every time a hurricane blows up in the Gulf.

Rant over.

It's Bush's best only plan for stimulating the economy...  FEAR!!!

taintlint

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 12:33:23 pm
Are they going to bunk down on the football field?

Did you read the article and the AD's comments?

IF THE UNIVERSITY IS USED AS AN EVACUATION POINT, OR THE GOVERNOR STARTS BLOCKING ROADS AND THINGS OF THAT SORT, THE AD WILL HAVE TO PUT CONTINGENCY PLANS IN PLACE.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WEATHER IN AUSTIN.

taintlint

Same reasons Death Valley isn't being played in

taintlint

I'll just throw it out there one more time since someone is going to come along and point out, once again, that the weather in Austin will be tolerable.

The game would be postponed if people on the coast have to leave their homes. Their options are limited. Austin is an option. The AD recognized this and is preparing for a worst case scenario.

The weather in Austin will have nothing to do with it.

Bigfoot

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 12:39:24 pm

Will the weather in Austin have anything to do with it?  ;D

lookinupthehill

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 12:39:24 pm
I'll just throw it out there one more time since someone is going to come along and point out, once again, that the weather in Austin will be tolerable.

The game would be postponed if people on the coast have to leave their homes. Their options are limited. Austin is an option. The AD recognized this and is preparing for a worst case scenario.

lol.  Nice.  Problem is:  if they didn't get it the first 4 times, they're from Texas and lack the mental capacity to comprehend. 

[Texan] Taaar-nations!  Head for the cellar Betty Sue, a hurrikan's a-cummin for Lewizzianna!  I know we're in Austin, darnit but I can feel those winds a buildin!!  [/Texan]

EastexHawg

Quote from: taintlint on September 09, 2008, 12:35:15 pm
Did you read the article and the AD's comments?

IF THE UNIVERSITY IS USED AS AN EVACUATION POINT, OR THE GOVERNOR STARTS BLOCKING ROADS AND THINGS OF THAT SORT, THE AD WILL HAVE TO PUT CONTINGENCY PLANS IN PLACE.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WEATHER IN AUSTIN.

And you aren't getting my point. 

Why would roads in or north of Austin be blocked?  Austin is 160 miles farther inland than Houston.  When was the last time anyone heard of severe enough damage in Houston that people needed to evacuate their homes?

The whole hurricane hysteria movement has been caused by one thing...Katrina, and the heat that politicians took over what happened in New Orleans.  Neither Rick Perry nor any other politician wants to take a chance on his political career being torpedoed because some voters think he didn't do enough to prepare for a hurricane.

There are HUNDREDS of towns between Austin and the Texas coast.  San Antonio, a city of over a million and one of the most heavily built hotel markets in America...and 77 miles closer to the coast than Austin...is one of them.

There is absolutely no freaking reason whatsoever why anyone would need to evacuate San Antonio...or San Marcos...or Houston...or Conroe...or any other city that is at least 50 miles inland.  There is also no reason why anyone who DOES live nearer the coast needs to drive past Houston, or San Antonio, or Seguin, or any of other countless cities, to get to Austin or beyond in order to flee the storm.

Hence my comment that we have become a nation of pantywaists.

I know the weather Saturday afternoon in Austin is not going to be bad enough to postpone a football game.  I also know that there is no reason why anyone in his right mind needs to drive 250 freaking miles from the Texas coast, to Austin, to get away from a hurricane.  Hurricanes fall apart and rapidly lose strength almost immediately when they make landfall.  By the time the center of the storm gets 75-100 miles inland, it will almost certainly be no more than a tropical storm. 

Yeah, 50-60 mph winds suck if I'm out on a boat, or trying to play golf...but do I really need to evacuate my home to escape them?  Or do I just need to show some common sense, stay inside, and let the storm pass.

There is no good reason to postpone this football game, especially since we really don't even know where the storm is going to make landfall.  The only reason a postponement would happen would be so every politician and "concerned" administrator along the way can try to cover his ass.

taintlint

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 12:52:13 pm
And you aren't getting my point. 

Why would roads in or north of Austin be blocked?  Austin is 160 miles farther inland than Houston.  When was the last time anyone heard of severe enough damage in Houston that people needed to evacuate their homes?

The whole hurricane hysteria movement has been caused by one thing...Katrina, and the heat that politicians took over what happened in New Orleans.  Neither Rick Perry nor any other politician wants to take a chance on his political career being torpedoed because some voters think he didn't do enough to prepare for a hurricane.

There are HUNDREDS of towns between Austin and the Texas coast.  San Antonio, a city of over a million and one of the most heavily built hotel markets in America...and 77 miles closer to the coast than Austin...is one of them.

There is absolutely no freaking reason whatsoever why anyone would need to evacuate San Antonio...or San Marcos...or Houston...or Conroe...or any other city that is at least 50 miles inland.  There is also no reason why anyone who DOES live nearer the coast needs to drive past Houston, or San Antonio, or Seguin, or any of other countless cities, to get to Austin or beyond in order to flee the storm.

Hence my comment that we have become a nation of pantywaists.

I know the weather Saturday afternoon in Austin is not going to be bad enough to postpone a football game.  I also know that there is no reason why anyone in his right mind needs to drive 250 freaking miles from the Texas coast, to Austin, to get away from a hurricane.  Hurricanes fall apart and rapidly lose strength almost immediately when they make landfall.  By the time the center of the storm gets 75-100 miles inland, it will almost certainly be no more than a tropical storm. 

Yeah, 50-60 mph winds suck if I'm out on a boat, or trying to play golf...but do I really need to evacuate my home to escape them?  Or do I just need to show some common sense, stay inside, and let the storm pass.

There is no good reason to postpone this football game, especially since we really don't even know where the storm is going to make landfall.  The only reason a postponement would happen would be so every politician and "concerned" administrator along the way can try to cover his ass.

Hey, I agree with you Eastex. 100%.

I was just trying to point out that the weather in Austin will be fine and if there is a postponement, it's for other reasons.

Dwight_K_Shrute

They should move the game to WMS.

It can withstand a direct hit from a Cat 5 hurricane, an F-5 Twister, and a 9.0 Earthquake.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

taintlint

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 09, 2008, 01:06:10 pm

It can withstand a direct hit from a Cat 5 hurricane, an F-5 Twister, and a 9.0 Earthquake.

+1

UroHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 09, 2008, 12:21:37 pm

My family just moved to Tyler, and we were truly amazed about the panic that set in despite how far we were from the coast.
Can't wait for the first threat of winter weather!

DeltaBoy

+1
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

EastexHawg

LMAO

earlenehawg

I understand how far Austin is from the coast but anyone that lives in Hot Springs or Little Rock knows that lots of damage can be done even this far from where a hurricane hits.  We just played golf at Chenal in Little Rock and the winds from Gustav uprooted 40 trees on the golf course, one of which is about a 30 ft pine that is laying in my yard.  Hot Springs got a little more than 13 inches of rain from Gustav, the governor has declared several counties as disaster areas.  The amount of rain and wind is pretty unpredictable after it hits land and travels inland.

razorsharptusk

Wow, 22MPH winds.  Talk about having the wind at your back.  You might could go for an 80 yard pass through the air...how awsome would that be.  Of course, you would have to have a heck of line to let your recievers get that far down field. LOL
GO HOGS!!

taintlint

This may need it's own thread but just for fun......

If the Texas AD calls Fayetteville and says "Lets reschedule for the 27th", does Long go to Petrino and say "So, do you really want to play these guys because, ummmm, "logistically" we may be unable to come to terms on rescheduling."?

I'm not saying Petrino or Long don't have a set but considering that including Texas, our next 4 opponents are in the Ap Top 11, it might be in Arkansas best interest to be "unable" to reschedule.

I'll hang up and listen.

EastexHawg

Quote from: earlenehawg on September 09, 2008, 01:27:47 pm
I understand how far Austin is from the coast but anyone that lives in Hot Springs or Little Rock knows that lots of damage can be done even this far from where a hurricane hits.  We just played golf at Chenal in Little Rock and the winds from Gustav uprooted 40 trees on the golf course, one of which is about a 30 ft pine that is laying in my yard.  Hot Springs got a little more than 13 inches of rain from Gustav, the governor has declared several counties as disaster areas.  The amount of rain and wind is pretty unpredictable after it hits land and travels inland.

Understood.  But did anyone in Little Rock or Hot Springs feel the need to evacuate his home?

Unless you live in the Big Thompson River canyon of Colorado, one day of heavy rain isn't exactly cause to uproot your family, get in the car, and start driving.

I sat in my truck on a boat ramp, with my boat on the trailer behind me, about two weeks ago as a thunderstorm packing 60-70 mph winds passed directly overhead.  Significant damage to strong buildings, like most homes, isn't going to happen with tropical storm force winds.  And, a tornado could hit you just as easily 250 miles from the coast, in Austin, as it could in Corpus Christi.

Porcius Magnus

I worked a seminar in Austin earlier this year.  45 out of 350 people had arrived by the 8 A.M. start, we were informed by the participants that the turnout was low because it was raining.  Every major highway in metro Austin was backed up due to accidents from wet roads.  Sorry, I along Highway 7 south of Hot Springs and deal with Texass drivers on a daily basis, and have absolutely no confidence in their driving ability.

SwinedMelon

I would bet $200 (of someone else's money) that this game won't happen this weekend.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"