Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King...Still Trying

Started by Teddyhawgeddy, September 07, 2008, 11:37:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogginbama

Why don't all of you guys that subscribe to the NWA Times email the circulation manager and let him know of your dissatisifaction with Mr. King. If enough of you speak your mind and threaten to cancel your membership if they don't censor him or remove him from his position. I am sure it will not take too long for him to find a new home. The bottom line for any organization is profit and if King is costing them money then he will go away.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

nughaud

September 07, 2008, 03:49:12 pm #51 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:54:02 pm by nughaud
Let's not forget when we got schooled by Georgia in the SEC Championship game... I thought it would be a game... I think it was 21-0 before I could sit down.  We lost 30-3.

Hrmm what about the 2001 Cotton Bowl where we had 66 yards in total offense and lost to OU?  It wasn't a blow out but it was a man handling.  On top of that I was hung over, no sleep, I froze my ass off and I was in the OU section... BAD BAD DAY.

GuvHog

Quote from: El Puerco on September 07, 2008, 02:02:26 pm
True:

"Crowd went Nutts when they announced the Ole Miss score.  Guy behind me says "That aint right, rooting against the SEC."  I said "Nutt has an exemption""

False.

Only about half of the stadium (including me) cheered wildly when the Ole Miss - Wake score was
announced (some folks just love to exaggerate).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

cbjagman

Quote from: Boarsnest on September 07, 2008, 01:17:31 pm
I watched the Ole Miss game yesterday. The announcers couldn't sign Nutts praises enough. Tired to make it look like poor Hootie was treated terrible by Arkansas! 
For the most part you're absolutely correct. Yes, once again we heard how mean those Arkansas fans were in driving off ole Hootie. However, one thing that was brought up is the fact that we never won an overall SEC title AND that we only went 2-6 in bowl games. Nice to see at least two true facts being published.

MJ4H

I can't find an embarrassing Arkansas loss under Bobby Petrino, either.

Jerkwad.

baitshop

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 07, 2008, 12:11:54 pm
Harry, after you finish licking his balls, lick mine.

.....oh, and Harry......I've got a couple that you can put on top of your ice cream and have for dessert.........
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

GuvHog

September 07, 2008, 04:21:29 pm #56 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:23:00 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: CabotHog on September 07, 2008, 04:09:50 pm
It was well move than half the stadium. Some people love to take up for Nutt.

Cabot Hog, for once read before you post! Notice I made it clear that I was one of those who cheered wildly when the score was announced. HDN made his bed, now he can sleep in it! I
am a Hog!!!

javajockey

Looks to me like he had the story written with us loosing and was either too lazy or just so un-professional that he adjusted the caca that was already written instead of coming up with another angle.  Maybe someone should compare this with other embarrasments in jounalism and send it to the Morning News. 

GuvHog

Quote from: CabotHog on September 07, 2008, 04:29:09 pm
How could I have not read your post if I quoted and replied too it?

You are either taking up for Nutt or you are blind and deaf. Maybe it's all three. Well more than the stadium cheered.

I would estimate about 60% of the stadium cheered, and I want no part of HDN thank you.
I'm a BP man!

hillhog

How about a letter to the editor explaining why you are cancelling your subscription due to the love affair their writer has with Dork and the hate he shows for our team? Why does his paper have a beat writer for Ole Miss on staff? I don't take that paper so, no, wait, I can still send a message to the editor, I don't have to use the subscription bit.

GuvHog

Quote from: hillhog on September 07, 2008, 04:47:09 pm
How about a letter to the editor explaining why you are cancelling your subscription due to the love affair their writer has with Dork and the hate he shows for our team? Why does his paper have a beat writer for Ole Miss on staff? I don't take that paper so, no, wait, I can still send a message to the editor, I don't have to use the subscription bit.

I would strongly consider it if I had a subscription, but I don't. Occasionally Harry has an article published here in the Pine Bluff Commercial but I don't take it either (For various reasons including Harry).

Shoatly

If anyone is interested, Harry's email address is:

hking@ [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com

Hollywood_HOGan45

nutt people LOVE LOVE LOVE to rewrite history books to make their hero look better.

Sivad

Hey Harry:

Nutt is gone.

So is your credibility.

Big Dog

Here is what I sent Mr. King. I know it won't do any good!!!!

Mr. King,

I cannot believe you still continue to support Houston Nutt. You want to talk about forgettable losses how about both the drumming the hogs took from USC and lets not forget losing to Vanderbilt at home. Just let it go, he left and Bobby Petrino is the coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks and Houston Nutt is the coach for Ole Miss. The reason that the defense cannot stop anybody is because Houston Nutt did not recruit a lick on the defensive side for the last 3 years. The reason he left because he knew what was left and that there was no way he could win with this team so just like he did when he went to Stillwater, he quit and took the job at Ole Miss. We Frank Broyles gone he knew Jeff Long would fire him if he had another losing season.

Golfer

Quote from: Teddyhawgeddy on September 07, 2008, 11:37:43 am
"There were no embarressing losses during the Houston Nutt era" wrote Mr King today in his column...Oh Really...I was in the Coliseum in 2005 and RRS in 2006 when USC treated us like a directional school...I also remember a day in Knoxville when we held EOE-East to 66...not to mention losing to Kentucky twice and Vanderbilt AT HOME...Mr King...give it up...your boy ain't coming back!!

That is totally untrue. I have the newspaper in my possession as I type. Nowhere in the article did he say "there were no embarrassing losses during the Houston Nutt era". At least get the facts straight..

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Golfer on September 07, 2008, 07:31:39 pm
That is totally untrue. I have the newspaper in my possession as I type. Nowhere in the article did he say "there were no embarrassing losses during the Houston Nutt era". At least get the facts straight..

But the tone of his column is consistent with one who is pumping Nutt and slighting Petrino.  Did Harry King EVER write anything this critical of Nutt in 10 years?

I don't think so.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

parrishw

Quote from: kitshicker on September 07, 2008, 12:51:52 pm
Kinda what I was wondering. I hate to blast off on Harry without knowing definetely that he said something so stupid.

Oh yeah
It was that stupid

Morning news front page sports section one of the first lines in the article

HoggieStyle

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 07, 2008, 04:04:52 pm
False.

Only about half of the stadium (including me) cheered wildly when the Ole Miss - Wake score was

nm

RazorbackRon

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 07, 2008, 04:04:52 pm
False.

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 07, 2008, 04:32:22 pm
I would estimate about 60% of the stadium cheered, and I want no part of HDN thank you.

Guvhog, you must have been sitting in the Ole Piss section of the stadium.  It was well more than  half of the stadium that cheered when the Wake Forest-Ole Piss score was announced.  Later on even in one of your own posts you admit that 60% of the stadium scored.   Which was it.......only about half or 60%.   

You shouldn't post when your wasted. It makes it hard to remember what you said in prior posts.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

webbgem

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 07, 2008, 04:32:22 pm
I'm a BP man!

I would say 60% is about right.
Matthew 6:34

Sivad

75%, and it was loud and long.

Nutt's hometown showed their dislike of the dork in a big and publc way.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

Sivad

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 07, 2008, 10:03:46 pm
Harry King is not a homer. His column today wasn't a bash of Petrino, nor praise of Nutt.

I agree that Harry is not a homer.
Unless of course, home is where the nutt is.

HogCzar1

No matter what was said in Harry King's article. or not, it is very obvious to anyone that Mr. King cannot objectively cover Coach Petrino or his staff.
  I know that many of us here on Hogville along with the moderators will keep a sharp eye out for any future columns by Mr. King. Even if we had lost last evening, it would have in no way compared to many of the losses endured over the past 10 years. The job the previous staff did in recruiting will leave a stain on this program for another couple of years.
  The encouraging news is that we have a professional now in charge. He will make no excuses, and his staff, led by Tim Horton will outwork Nutt's staff in recruiting by a mile.
  I was also listening to Randy Rainwater after the game last night. When asked about the future of the program, he seemed to question 3-4 times whether the new staff would be able to recruit effectively enough on the defensive side to compete at the top SEC level.
  We all know of those who are biased toward the former staff. To all you guys, get over it. Nutt is gone. He is not coming back. The majority of fans do not want him back. The majority of donors do not want him back. The question of whether or not Petrino will exceed Nutt's level of winning will take care of itself. It is my belief that he will and more. At the very least he deserves the same opportunity as HDN got in his 10 years.
  Until then, the rest of us are going to support this new staff unlike any other we have had. To you in the Nutt Media, nothing you can write or say will change that.

hog.goblin

Quote from: SteveInArk on September 07, 2008, 03:09:46 pm
Found it:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/09/07/columns/harry_king/090708king.txt

Modified:  Found it second, or third, or    "NM"

;)

Thanks...here is the quote in question...assuming I can post it.

"Nothing in Houston Nutt's 10 years was as surprising as the outcome that was in the making Saturday night. There were some close calls against so-so opponents, but not once was Arkansas on the short end against an opponent from the Sun Belt conference."

I guess King thinks Saban is a real loser to since his team ACTUALLY LOST to ULM last season.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 07, 2008, 12:28:16 pm
That 63-20 loss at Tennessee comes instantly to mind.  What many may not remember about that game is that we were down 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.

That's enough embarrassment for a whole game and Nutt brought it to us in the FIRST QUARTER HARRY!
Yeah I remember that game clearly. I remember Dale saying that if you take away the first quarter and I thought we played pretty well.

unkosher

Was it after the Tenn beatdown that Nutt made the infamous, "they score so fast it just messes you up" quote or was it after the USC game?

football17

September 08, 2008, 12:02:41 am #78 Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:04:40 am by football17
Harry King is not a homer. His column today wasn't a bash of Petrino, nor praise of Nutt.

Harry King is very Pro-Nutt. That is a fact.

So is Nate Allen.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: WMHawgfan on September 07, 2008, 10:21:18 pm
Yeah I remember that game clearly. I remember Dale saying that if you take away the first quarter and I thought we played pretty well.

I remember that didn't make me feel any better about forking over money for tickets, driving 13 hours, sitting 5 rows from the top of the upper deck in my seat that was about 8 inches wide, and suffering through about 473 Rocky Tops from the band.  Thanks again, Nutty.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

jamie72921

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 08, 2008, 12:09:45 am
I've read every word Harry has written for several years. I've never gotten the sense he was in Nutt's pocket. If anything, he's the most objective columnist working in the state.

Of course, at this point, anybody who dares to say anything remotely critical of Petrino is painted as a Nutt fan. Even when it's not true.

You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

King literally put out lies that Houston Nutt told directly to King in an interview about the Mustain situation.

Then King, the great objective journalist, didn't even do any homework to find out that when Nutt had told him in the interview that he hadn't talked to Mustain about his comments in the book it was a freaking documented lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mustain had been quoted 2 weeks before Nutt's interview saying that he and coach Nutt had talked about the very subject and that it was behind them!

Was there ever any follow up to this public lie by any "journalist" in the Arkansas media? %&*# NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Objective my arse.

You know who isn't objective? SCOTT FALDON!

Criticize any journalist and the media apologist for Arkansas comes running to save the day and point out that you and I are Wee littlte intellects up beside such "professionals". We are biased, but journalists, even though they are people and have biases also, do not let them influence their work.

If it weren't so sad, it would be down right funny.
Bless your heart

HogCzar1

Of course, at this point, anybody who dares to say anything remotely critical of Petrino is painted as a Nutt fan. Even when it's not true.

[/quote]

I would have to respectfully disagree with that. There are some valid criticisms with everyone. Petrino is not perfect. However, the author of the story in question was the one who made the comparison between last night's game and the previous coaching staff even before the game had come to a conclusion.

Sivad

I've read every word Harry has written for several years. I've never gotten the sense he was in Nutt's pocket.
Sorry Scott, but you can't read Old Harry's latest column and not see just how hard he had to stretch out to try to compare our comeback win with something he felt showed his friend Nutt should not have been fired.

There was absolutely no reason for King to even bring Nutt into the conversation unless he was nursing some grudge.

King's column last week was just about as bad but this one is so blatant that everyone caught him slamming his bias against Bobby Petrino and love for Nutt in our face.

I'll bet Harry King faxed this column on to the rest of the Nutt Posse in Oxford with a big smile as soon as he wrote it.

idochog

Harry King: Waste of perfectly good ink. and good for killing brain cells
I love Jesus!

Dutch Creek Hog

There are only two options:

1)  King is still hugging the Nutts, or
2)  King has less of a grasp on Hog football than your everyday average fan.

Either is reason enough for that shitstain to never have another article published referencing the Hogs.
I love guntr.

Feral Hog on 9/10/08 on Nutt's inability to conserve timeouts:
QuoteHe eats Timeouts like cocktail nuts... They're like quarters in the pocket of a 3 year old in a candy shop.

Verity

September 08, 2008, 01:09:35 am #85 Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:23:00 am by Verity

I've read every word Harry has written for several years. I've never gotten the sense he was in Nutt's pocket. If anything, he's the most objective columnist working in the state.

Actually, you have previously been one of the most objective columnist. 

But I disagree with your post.  What was the purpose for Harry to compare a loss, that did not occur, with HDN's tenure?  Quoting Harry's article:

LITTLE ROCK -- Late in the third quarter, when the scoreboard showed Warhawks 24, Hogs 6, I dug out the Arkansas media guide looking for the Razorbacks' most forgettable loss in recent history.

Nothing in Houston Nutt's 10 years was as surprising as the outcome that was in the making Saturday night. There were some close calls against so-so opponents, but not once was Arkansas on the short end against an opponent from the Sun Belt conference.

In writing this article he did not mention 2002 and this narrow Sun Belt escape by Nutt: Louisiana-Lafayette 17, Arkansas 24 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=223200008

Was last night's 28 to 27 comeback victory over ULM more surprising than:

Nutt's career 2 wins vs 3 losses to Kentucky?  HDN's loss to Vanderbilt in Fayetteville?  The bowl game loss to UNLV?  The combined two game whippings from USC by a total of 120 to 31?  The list could go on and on. 

Again, what was the purpose of Harry's analogy? 

Hopefully you won't let your contrarian nature impede upon your own credibility.

jamie72921

September 08, 2008, 01:13:40 am #86 Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:30:21 am by jamie72921
Nothing in Houston Nutt's 10 years was as surprising as the outcome that was in the making Saturday night.

Nothing in his career?! Are you kidding me! How about the UNLV game in LR, since we are talking about the mere potential for an upset?

The 60 something Tenn hung on us? Vandy anyone?

There were some close calls against so-so opponents, but not once was Arkansas on the short end against an opponent from the Sun Belt conference.

What conference was UNLV in when they hung 30+ on us?

By the way, could leaving out the fact that this poor little Sunbelt Conf team owns a win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa only last season, something we couldn't do with Dmac and Felix, could this be an example of bias for Nutt and against Petrino?

Faldon says you are a cospiracy theorist to think the ommission of such useless context could possibly be an indication of bias.

Yep, definitely no bias in that statement. It is clear that Hog fans are just too in love with Bobby Petrino to be objective.

Faldon, you should be embarassed.
Bless your heart

aaaactionvp

Ok Scott.  People may be a bit touchy about Nutt, but in this article, why even bring nutt into it?  Why make the comparison?  That is something that shows intent.  If he isn't biased it sure seems like he was taking a shot at someone.

football17

Harry is on the Buzz every Monday morning with Tommy and Baz. Listen to him on there and you will see.

razorhog29

This guy did'nt have a single positive thing to say about this team.  Not one thing. It may have been a close game but It was exciting to see so many players making plays. It actualy looks like a whole team effort instead of a one or two man show, like nutt ball of the past. If this offence does'nt get you excited about things to come, there is no hope for you. Harry King you are a disgrace to this state and to the razorbacks.

Wooisme

Where are the articles from Arkansas shillers that focus on the BARE CUPBOARD (particularly on defense) that the former coach left?

Where are the articles focusing on the NUMBER of true freshman starting and playing more than a few snaps in critical positions this season?

Does the previous "coaching staff" bear ANY responsibility for the talent, training, work ethic of the these UPPERCLASSMAN? 

Yeah.  Don't be "holdin' yo bref" waiting to see THOSE articles....
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

aaaactionvp

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 08, 2008, 06:19:57 am
That is simply not true.

I will, however, point the absurdity of things like the wild Blank/Home Depot/ESPN conspiracy. And the mindset that if you say anything that remotely appears to be praising Nutt, that you're in the bag for him and against Petrino.

Sometimes I think the movement to oust Nutt caused the fanbase to turn into a pack of sharks. Highly-tuned, able to rip victims to shreds and looking for a feeding frenzy.
You still didn't answer the question as to why YOU think harry even mentioned nutt in an article that has nothing to do with him.

Wooisme

HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

Kim Jong Il

Harry,

Did you not catch the back to back butt rapings courtesy of USC?

Or how bout the Vandy game in Fayetteville, when Nutt used neither Felix nor Mcfadden.

C'mon Nutt would have been absolutely pitiful this year and that is why he left. Petrino is playing with Nutt's players and they are young and inexperienced or old and not the greatest. You said it yourself this morning that the Defense is bare. had HDN stayed there is a very good possibility he would have hasd 2 more losing season in a row and that would have been 4 losing seasons in 6 years. No way in hell he would have escaped this year with a winning season so that is guranteed 3 out of 5 losers

10thPlanet

Faldon, just inform Harry the paperman just throws the Times to one house out of 14 on my circle, and if he keeps this Nutt Loving up he'll be saving the man some gas. You guys do cover the River Valley better than anyone, but my kids playing days are over, and I now look for sports on a wider geographical area.

lazyj70

September 08, 2008, 08:30:39 am #95 Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:32:40 am by lazyj70
Quote from: Reaganite on September 07, 2008, 11:53:40 am
Two weeks in a row he references El Dorko.

Perhaps he should get his arse on I-40 East and stay on it till he hits the Mississippi line.

He should also take note of who his audience is.  I heard that WMS cheered wildly upon learning that Wake beat Ole Pi$$.

nm

Biggus Piggus

Harry last week said Nutt would be Petrino's scapegoat all season, which was as blatantly pro-Nutt a statement as anyone could make.  Why would Harry declare that Nutt deserves no blame for what happens this season?  It's ridiculous.
[CENSORED]!

RazorNineOneOne

Quote from: Big Dog on September 07, 2008, 07:19:57 pm
Here is what I sent Mr. King. I know it won't do any good!!!!

Mr. King,

I cannot believe you still continue to support Houston Nutt. You want to talk about forgettable losses how about both the drumming the hogs took from USC and lets not forget losing to Vanderbilt at home. Just let it go, he left and Bobby Petrino is the coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks and Houston Nutt is the coach for Ole Miss. The reason that the defense cannot stop anybody is because Houston Nutt did not recruit a lick on the defensive side for the last 3 years. The reason he left because he knew what was left and that there was no way he could win with this team so just like he did when he went to Stillwater, he quit and took the job at Ole Miss. We Frank Broyles gone he knew Jeff Long would fire him if he had another losing season.

I hope that's not the exact email you sent to him.  Seriously, you guys should proofread before you write to insult a WRITER.  You lose all your credibility when you can't form a proper sentence.

Reaganite

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 08, 2008, 06:19:57 am
Sometimes I think the movement to oust Nutt caused the fanbase to turn into a pack of sharks. Highly-tuned, able to rip victims to shreds and looking for a feeding frenzy.

Did it ever occur to you that if the media had been doing their JOBS the past 3 or 4 years it might have kept the fan base from having to rise up with torches and pitchforks?

But noooo, they had to prop Nutt up, defend him, minimize the fan discontent, and basically act as his shills for the most part (yourself excluded Scott).

King was very much apart of that the past few years and now he can't quit writing about Nutt and making comparisons as Petrino trys to make something of this season with the players he has inherited from the Dork.

I understand the desire to take up and defend collegues you are acquainted with, but this is blantant, obvious, and typical for King.  King's a big boy and I doubt he needs you to defend his pining for the smoke draw days.

RazorNineOneOne