Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Vandy left the SEC who would replace them?

Started by Ugly Uncle, September 05, 2008, 02:31:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SRFL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 03:39:08 am
Stop and think about it. Tulsa is in the middle of a renewed committment to athletics putting their money where their mouths are. Few actually do that. They remain committed to academics, so losing Vandy would not damage the SEC in that regard. Tulsa has had a tremendous basketball program for a number of years.....where did Nolan coach before Arkansas? Tubby Smith before Kentucky? Bill Self before Kansas? The answer? Tulsa. Strong basketball school and now a strong football school(led the nation in total offense last year). This is a sleeper school and they have enough financial backing to stand up strong in the SEC. I'm telling you, it makes lot of sense. They sure as heck are not going to the Big 12 because that would put 3 Big 12 schools in a smaller state. Texas, as big as that state is, can handle 4 Big 12 teams, but Oklahoma can't handle 3. The SEC makes perfect sense and Tulsa might be a perfect fit.

Dude, during the last Skelly stadium "expansion", they reduced seats.

Tulsa in the SEC makes as much sense as Tulane.  Zero. 

Eh eh eh.  Zero.

ATLHogcallin

Quote from: IUHog on September 05, 2008, 08:21:48 am
Schools named after a city--not in the SEC
Schools who's names tell you what part of the state they are from--not in the SEC

Last time I checked Auburn University is named after the city of Auburn, Alabama.

IUHog

HogAlum99

Quote from: IUHog on September 05, 2008, 09:53:25 pm
Dear Morons,

Auburn was renamed in the 1960's!

"Schools named after a city--not in the SEC
Schools who's names tell you what part of the state they are from--not in the SEC"

OK, so what's your point?  UA was once called Arkansas Industrial College.  I'm only responding to your above quote of "Schools named after a city--not in the SEC."  Quite honestly, I don't care if they changed their name last night or in the 1960s.  The fact of the matter remains that Auburn University is currently named after the city of Auburn.  Back to you now moron.

Mike Shelton

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:21:50 am
Vandy was a founding member of the SEC.  We are 2 and 0 right now and leading the SEC East.  Our basketball team made the Sweet 16 within the last 3 years and our baseball team won the SEC regular season and tourney 2 years ago. 

A question like this on the same night that we beat a Top 25 team and moved to 2 and 0 is as ridiculous as Arkansas almost losing to Western Illinois.

Well stated... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgheaven

Tulsa would be a step down from Vandy.  dont fool yourself because malzhan is there.  Vandy is better than Tulsa in acedemics,football,baseball,basketball...  tulsa would not be an option.  i would lose alot of respect if the sec let them in. 

and we have no more right to be in the SEC than Vandy does.  last time i check we are tied. ZERO SEC championships.

Vandy has a Better Winning % in the SEC than Kentucky,South Carolina, and Miss State

so kick one of them out before vandy lol.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SRFL on September 05, 2008, 01:09:35 pm

Dude, during the last Skelly stadium "expansion", they reduced seats.

Tulsa in the SEC makes as much sense as Tulane.  Zero. 

Eh eh eh.  Zero.

Dude, if you read some of the posts above......you'd see this had already been stated and acknowledged. Once again, as I said before, my mistake.
Go Hogs Go!

pablo_escobar

Quote from: IUHog on September 05, 2008, 08:21:48 am
Schools named after a city--not in the SEC
Schools who's names tell you what part of the state they are from--not in the SEC
thats a great set of rules +1

slowride

If Vandy were to leave, I suggest getting a team that would be a sure win.  Vanderbilt used to be good for a certain win, but not any more.  In fact, that's why I wouldn't mind it if they left.  I suggest Rice because that way the SEC wouldn't lose anything in regard to academics, but we would gain a sure win on our schedule.

rihog

I say drop South Carolina and pick up Georgia Tech. GT is a better school in academics and athletics as oppsed to S.Carolina. Keep Vandy.
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ATLHogcallin on September 05, 2008, 01:18:39 pm
Last time I checked Auburn University is named after the city of Auburn, Alabama.

From 1899 to 1960 it was known as Alabama Polytechnic Institute. 
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ark30inf

Vanderbilt plays an important role in the SEC.  They leaven the bread.  I think the SEC is a better conference because of their presence even though they are not a football power.

ark30inf

Quote from: Mike Shelton on September 05, 2008, 11:53:19 pm
Arkansas State!

Arkansas State would make the most sense in regard to geography, type of school, name of school, and potential rivalries.  But ASU does not have the facilities, attendance, or statewide appeal at this point to be considered for such a thing now.  If ASU were to continue to improve, win championships, win bowl games, establish a larger statewide appeal, and then enlarge facilities and fill them, then they would be the right choice.  A long way to go before that day.

Southern Miss has established some success, unfortunately their very name limits them to a region of a state with little opportunity for long-term statewide appeal in their own state.

Memphis has a similar story, some success, especially in basketball.  They have a good populated fan base but its so geographically limited.  Not sure an urban school really fits.  Vanderbilt is in an urban area of course but it has more external appeal due to being "Harvard of the South" and can attract fans anywhere who just like underdogs or the nerdy schools.

Georgia Tech would indeed be a good fit at this time, but do we really want them.  They walked back in 1964.

Florida State, haven't researched it but think it would be a good choice off the top of my head.

VandyHog

Florida State would be a good choice for the SEC, but they declined joining the conference and that's why South Carolina is now a member.  FSU went with the ACC instead.

hawgheaven

Vanderbilt is the best choice.  You don't remove a founding member of a Conference.  AR should be kicked out before Vandy. 

and unless Vandy wanted to leave the SEC will never remove them.  i have always had a soft spot for Vandy.  because you can Never go there and assume you will win.  and screw wanting a Weaker team.  only a little panzy would want to bring in a team that = a sure win for us and other sec teams......  go join the ACC if you want that.

Torqued pork

I've heard rumblings Mizzou may jump to the Big Ten if offered.

I could see Ga. Tech, which was a member of the SEC in the past, coming back in the fold should Vandy ever leave(not likely imo).