Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Vandy left the SEC who would replace them?

Started by Ugly Uncle, September 05, 2008, 02:31:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

I have no idea if this would ever happen, but it probably should.  Vandy had a good game tonight, but really they are not going to be a contender EVER in the SEC. 

So, if they were to leave, who would be the choice to replace them?

Mizzou?  Maybe
Southern Miss? Doubt it.
Memphis? (when you throw in basketball)

I don't know, who would you pic?

I think Mizzou would be the obvious choice.
Retired Radio Host

SigHog87

its the Southeast Conference, not the the Grazing Plains conference!!!!

and this is the first year Mizzou has been a contender in what 30 or 40 years?

I think Vandy fits in better than Mizzou!

just my 2 cents

MuskogeeHogFan

Going the wrong direction Uncle.....Georgia Tech would be a viable contributor in both football and basketball. Louisville might be possible, though they would have to step it up a notch in football, their basketball would be solid. Still, I think not. Clemson also, might be a viable candidate at least in football, I am not sure how they have achieved in BB. Keeping it within it's current geographical boundaries is what I would be for. That would leave a Missouri out. But if you are wanting to extend the geographical boundaries, I would go after Texas because they would bring more to the table than any of the others, definitely including Missouri. If Mizzou goes anywhere at all, it will be to the Big Ten. Just my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

TomasPistola

Louisville or Clemson would be my vote too. Arkansas is a stretch for the SouthEastern Conference. Missouri is in the MidWest.

Dark Horse candidates - UCF, Miami, Georgia Tech
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hog are ya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 02:42:36 am
Going the wrong direction Uncle.....Georgia Tech would be a viable contributor in both football and basketball. Louisville might be possible, though they would have to step it up a notch in football, their basketball would be solid. Still, I think not. Clemson also, might be a viable candidate at least in football, I am not sure how they have achieved in BB. Keeping it within it's current geographical boundaries is what I would be for. That would leave a Missouri out. But if you are wanting to extend the geographical boundaries, I would go after Texas because they would bring more to the table than any of the others, definitely including Missouri. If Mizzou goes anywhere at all, it will be to the Big Ten. Just my opinion.

I was going to respond but read this post and it is pretty much exactly what I would say.  So I'll save the energy and just repost Muskogees post....

Brownie Tuggle

The SEC will never get rid of Vandy! You got to work for somebody when football is over. Vandy is the SEC Job Hook up. You might beat them in football, but one day they'll be your boss! USM and Memphis will forever be SEC Stepchildren. They've wanted in for years, but it aint gonna happen. Missouri, HA, LOL!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: uglyuncle on September 05, 2008, 02:31:58 am
I have no idea if this would ever happen, but it probably should.  Vandy had a good game tonight, but really they are not going to be a contender EVER in the SEC. 

So, if they were to leave, who would be the choice to replace them?

Mizzou?  Maybe
Southern Miss? Doubt it.
Memphis? (when you throw in basketball)

I don't know, who would you pic?

I think Mizzou would be the obvious choice.

Here's another thought if you want to go slightly outside existing geographical boundaries just a little. First, check this out. In what was a HUGE game for Vandy tonight against S. Carolina, what was their attendance? 38,000+ Who would bring good, competitive football and basketball in their resume to the SEC and be able to put more than 38,000+ fans butts in the seats for a football game every week? Tulsa. Upscale program, recent and continuing reinvestment in facilities and stadium expansion to 50,000(I think), state of the art basketball facilties and not different than Vandy in the high academic standards that they bring to the table. It would begin a natural rivalry between two schools that are not more than 120 miles apart. An invitation to join the SEC would be exactly the kind of step that a Tulsa would welcome and for a few years, they might be the doormat of the conference, but soon, unlike Vandy(in general) they would catch up.

Short of getting a Clemson or Georgia Tech, I actually think that Tulsa would make a lot of sense.
Go Hogs Go!

VandyHog

Vandy was a founding member of the SEC.  We are 2 and 0 right now and leading the SEC East.  Our basketball team made the Sweet 16 within the last 3 years and our baseball team won the SEC regular season and tourney 2 years ago. 

A question like this on the same night that we beat a Top 25 team and moved to 2 and 0 is as ridiculous as Arkansas almost losing to Western Illinois.

Hog are ya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 03:18:05 am
Here's another thought if you want to go slightly outside existing geographical boundaries just a little. First, check this out. In what was a HUGE game for Vandy tonight against S. Carolina, what was their attendance? 38,000+ Who would bring good, competitive football and basketball in their resume to the SEC and be able to put more than 38,000+ fans butts in the seats for a football game every week? Tulsa. Upscale program, recent and continuing reinvestment in facilities and stadium expansion to 50,000(I think), state of the art basketball facilties and not different than Vandy in the high academic standards that they bring to the table. It would begin a natural rivalry between two schools that are not more than 120 miles apart. An invitation to join the SEC would be exactly the kind of step that a Tulsa would welcome and for a few years, they might be the doormat of the conference, but soon, unlike Vandy(in general) they would catch up.

Short of getting a Clemson or Georgia Tech, I actually think that Tulsa would make a lot of sense.

Oh Muskogee, nothing but love for you bro, but are you serious!!!!?  Tulsa?  Eveyone Ugly Uncle mentioned in my opinion would be better.  I liked your previous post better..... just saying

Hog are ya

September 05, 2008, 03:36:44 am #9 Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:39:14 am by Hog are ya
Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:21:50 am
Vandy was a founding member of the SEC.  We are 2 and 0 right now and leading the SEC East.  Our basketball team made the Sweet 16 within the last 3 years and our baseball team won the SEC regular season and tourney 2 years ago. 

A question like this on the same night that we beat a Top 25 team and moved to 2 and 0 is as ridiculous as Arkansas almost losing to Western Illinois.

Hey brother, I most always pull for you guys unless you're playing the hogs and am not in favor of your departure from the SEC.  But you are from Vanderbilt so please DON'T get cocky!!???!!!?

edit:  unless you want to get cocky about how much more you are making with your degree than I am with my U of A degree.  I'll give you that!....

DMacIsASaint

Tulsa? are you serious? memphis is way ahead of tulsa with the plans to upgrade facilities (renovation to the liberty bowl and they already play in the fed ex forum)  and tulsa will fall back once gus leaves them..and tulsa is um..in oklahoma..it has to be georgia tech with clemson coming in second

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog are ya on September 05, 2008, 03:30:23 am
Oh Muskogee, nothing but love for you bro, but are you serious!!!!?  Tulsa?  Eveyone Ugly Uncle mentioned in my opinion would be better.  I liked your previous post better..... just saying

Stop and think about it. Tulsa is in the middle of a renewed committment to athletics putting their money where their mouths are. Few actually do that. They remain committed to academics, so losing Vandy would not damage the SEC in that regard. Tulsa has had a tremendous basketball program for a number of years.....where did Nolan coach before Arkansas? Tubby Smith before Kentucky? Bill Self before Kansas? The answer? Tulsa. Strong basketball school and now a strong football school(led the nation in total offense last year). This is a sleeper school and they have enough financial backing to stand up strong in the SEC. I'm telling you, it makes lot of sense. They sure as heck are not going to the Big 12 because that would put 3 Big 12 schools in a smaller state. Texas, as big as that state is, can handle 4 Big 12 teams, but Oklahoma can't handle 3. The SEC makes perfect sense and Tulsa might be a perfect fit.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on September 05, 2008, 03:37:48 am
Tulsa? are you serious? memphis is way ahead of tulsa with the plans to upgrade facilities (renovation to the liberty bowl and they already play in the fed ex forum)  and tulsa will fall back once gus leaves them..and tulsa is um..in oklahoma..it has to be georgia tech with clemson coming in second

You can't even begin to compare Tulsa and Memphis in overall quality in athletics AND academics and financial backing that they bring to the SEC table.
Go Hogs Go!

VandyHog

Hey, I think we can be a little "cocky" after beating the Gamecocks two years in a row.

I can tell you point blank that Vandy is not leaving the SEC.  Our basketball and baseball teams compete very effectively in the SEC and our football team is turning the corner.  Bobby Johnson is a very good coach and recruiter and it is starting to show. When you consider the size of Vandy's student body and the requirements for admission vs. the other schools in the SEC, what Johnson is doing there is nothing short of phenomenal. 

I love the Hogs, but they didn't exactly prove themselves superior to Vandy the last two times they played (a win for Vandy and a 2 point win for Arkansas).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:44:07 am
Hey, I think we can be a little "cocky" after beating the Gamecocks two years in a row.

I can tell you point blank that Vandy is not leaving the SEC.  Our basketball and baseball teams compete very effectively in the SEC and our football team is turning the corner.  Bobby Johnson is a very good coach and recruiter and it is starting to show. When you consider the size of Vandy's student body and the requirements for admission vs. the other schools in the SEC, what Johnson is doing there is nothing short of phenomenal. 

I love the Hogs, but they didn't exactly prove themselves superior to Vandy the last two times they played (a win for Vandy and a 2 point win for Arkansas).

Exactly why you could be easily replaced by Tulsa, who might be a better partner in the long run. That being said, I am not one to be an advocate of wholesale changes in conference structures, I tend to be a traditionalist. I really do not want to see Vandy go and I don't think they will. I was however, just answering the question of the thread and giving my opinion and still think that Tulsa would be a better long term partner for the future for the SEC than Vandy. Sorry guy, no offense, just my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

RZRBack_FAN

I agree with VandyHog, there is no reason to even consider replacing Vanderbilt. It is one of the finest academic schools in the country. They have had a better basketball program than we have in the last 4 or 5 years. Their baseball team has been very good. The football program is slowly progressing into a  respectable program. They arent going to dominate any sport but they have been for competetive as of late.

Hog are ya

Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:44:07 am

I agree.  The only area, which is THE area that you have lacked has been in football.  And with Johnson, and hopefully a cinderalla season this year, you can turn that around.  I'm pulling for you guys.  But even though you have had some success against the hogs, I'm sure you're not trying to equate the programs on the same level are you?

VandyHog

Do you really think Tulsa could go into Columbia and beat South Carolina?  Into Knoxville and beat Tennessee?  Into Gainesville and take Florida into double overtime?  Into Athens and beat Georgia? Into Fayetteville and beat Arkansas?

Do you really think they could play an SEC level basketball schedule and win?

Do you really think they could win the SEC baseball tournament or regular season title?

Seriously?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:53:40 am
Do you really think Tulsa could go into Columbia and beat South Carolina?  Into Knoxville and beat Tennessee?  Into Gainesville and take Florida into double overtime?  Into Athens and beat Georgia? Into Fayetteville and beat Arkansas?

Do you really think they could play an SEC level basketball schedule and win?

Do you really think they could win the SEC baseball tournament or regular season title?

Seriously?

In a word......yeah.
Go Hogs Go!

VandyHog

Quote from: Hog are ya on September 05, 2008, 03:53:12 am
I agree.  The only area, which is THE area that you have lacked has been in football.  And with Johnson, and hopefully a cinderalla season this year, you can turn that around.  I'm pulling for you guys.  But even though you have had some success against the hogs, I'm sure you're not trying to equate the programs on the same level are you?

No, I'm not.  I think Arkansas over the long haul has had a much stronger football program. How can you not love the atmosphere of a Razorback game?  Vandy is not there, but they are moving.  The black out in Nashville tonight was impressive and our season ticket sales are at record levels.  We have our largest class of 3 start commitments in history this year and have our first 4 star commitment in years on the field this year.  The football program is turning around.  Vandy will probably never have the football fan base of an Arkansas or Alabama simply because it is a small school in a big city that also has pro sports. But I do think it can field winning football teams and start going to bowl games and have little doubt that Bobby Johnson will get us there.

I have all the love in the world for Arkansas and was just using Nutt's two games against Vandy to make a point.  Over the last three years, Vandy has not been that far from moving across the 6 win line.  If Nickson stays healthy and our defense plays to form, our schedule is favorable and we should get there this year.

SquidBilly

The SEC needs Vandy if for nothing else to bolster the conference's academic numbers.  Georgia Tech, as some might not remember, used to be in the SEC and their rivalry with Auburn used to be a heated one.  If there were going to be a change adding Tech would make the most sense, but I agree with VandyHog that there is no compelling reason to even consider Vandy leaving or being forced out. 

VandyHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 03:57:01 am
In a word......yeah.

No offense, but I'll believe Tulsa can beat Tennessee in Knoxville and Georgia in Athens when I see it.  I'm a little concerned about Arkansas in Fayetteville, but have confidence that Petrino will get things cooking before then.  It is a long way from CUSA to the SEC.

If the SEC were to expand, there are a number of teams that I think would be a much better fit.  Some that come to mind are Southern Mississippi, South Florida, Troy, etc.  All are much bigger schools and much better geographical fits.

Hog are ya

Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:59:09 am
No, I'm not.  I think Arkansas over the long haul has had a much stronger football program. How can you not love the atmosphere of a Razorback game?  Vandy is not there, but they are moving.  The black out in Nashville tonight was impressive and our season ticket sales are at record levels.  We have our largest class of 3 start commitments in history this year and have our first 4 star commitment in years on the field this year.  The football program is turning around.  Vandy will probably never have the football fan base of an Arkansas or Alabama simply because it is a small school in a big city that also has pro sports. But I do think it can field winning football teams and start going to bowl games and have little doubt that Bobby Johnson will get us there.

I have all the love in the world for Arkansas and was just using Nutt's two games against Vandy to make a point.  Over the last three years, Vandy has not been that far from moving across the 6 win line.  If Nickson stays healthy and our defense plays to form, our schedule is favorable and we should get there this year.

Vandyhog, just know, that I am pulling for you guys in every game this year!  And you are a MUCH more worthy opponent in any sport than Tulsa.  (Even though we could lose to them this year like we have to you in the past)

VandyHog

I really think that Arkansas is a much better team than it showed against Western Illinois.  The level of talent from top to bottom and the depth is just much better than Tulsa.  I think that Petrino will get the Hogs on the right track and honestly do not think the Tulsa game will be that close, but who knows?  They will come in fired up, I'm sure, and on any given day anything can happen.  That's what makes football so much fun.

Hog are ya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 03:57:01 am
In a word......yeah.

Muskogee, I won't profess (is that a word?) to know what backing Tulsa is suddenly getting.  But it hasn't been all that good to this point.  They prolly won't keep this coaching staff for to long, and with T. Bone Pickens doing what he is for Oky State and OU what it already is, I don't feel to good about the future for Tulsa athletics being able to have a big boost.  They just don't have much reach you know?...

Hog are ya

Vandyhog, let me take this time to say congratulations on the game tonight.  When it first started, my girlfriend asked me who do we chear for, I said well, we should chear for S.C. since we play them later on and there ranked and it'd prolly be best for the SEC if they rolled tonight.  So she says okay, I'm for S.C. Then after Gamecocks scored the first T.D. I looked at her and said, I'm pulling for Vandy!

1highhog

every conference has to have a school like Vandy, rgw SEC would give up Arkansas before they would Vandy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hog are ya on September 05, 2008, 04:13:00 am
Muskogee, I won't profess (is that a word?) to know what backing Tulsa is suddenly getting.  But it hasn't been all that good to this point.  They prolly won't keep this coaching staff for to long, and with T. Bone Pickens doing what he is for Oky State and OU what it already is, I don't feel to good about the future for Tulsa athletics being able to have a big boost.  They just don't have much reach you know?...

Little known to anyone is the fact that the University of Tulsa has probably produced more multi-millionaires in the energy business than any other school in the country. Tulsa, the city, at one time was the known as the Oil Capital of the World. Much of that business has moved to Houston, but many of the graduates who are deeply rooted in that business, came from Tulsa. You cannot believe the money that they have access to. It has been a well kept secret and the only reason I know, is beacuse I grew up around it. They have not done a good job or reaching out to their affluent alumnus in the past, but in recent years, they have really made huge inroads and have put on a full court press for giving and endowments. Tulsa football in the 1960's was as good as any in the nation and their record against top teams proved that out. It fell on hard times during the 70's and fo most part during the 80's, but during the 90's, a resurgence began and as they built synergy towards their goals, you are now seeing the fruit of that for which they aimed. It has taken them longer because they are a smaller school and they did not have the committment to athletic excellence as they have now. They regularly beat OSU and for 2-3 quarters last year, they gave OU all they wanted. I thnk you will feel differently about Tulsa after you see them on the field at RRS on Nov. 1st.
Go Hogs Go!

ErieHog

The problem is the 'veto' of expansion;  the SEC will never include Georgia Tech, Louisville or Clemson (the most natural possibilities) again [Tech was a founding member of the SEC] because of the vetoes enjoyed by Georgia, Kentucky, and South Carolina.

Wake would be a natural candidate to take up the role of Vanderbilt as the academic, basketball-savvy institution, and wouldn't face any in-state programs opposed to their inclusion.   Miami or FSU would likely be blocked by Florida.    North Carolina would be an outside shot, but their basketball program is so deeply entrenched in the ACC, it would take a sport-shattering scandal to rock them out of their conference ownership.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

Hog are ya

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 04:35:41 am
Little known to anyone is the fact that the University of Tulsa has probably produced more multi-millionaires in the energy business than any other school in the country. Tulsa, the city, at one time was the known as the Oil Capital of the World. Much of that business has moved to Houston, but many of the graduates who are deeply rooted in that business, came from Tulsa. You cannot believe the money that they have access to. It has been a well kept secret and the only reason I know, is beacuse I grew up around it. They have not done a good job or reaching out to their affluent alumnus in the past, but in recent years, they have really made huge inroads and have put on a full court press for giving and endowments. Tulsa football in the 1960's was as good as any in the nation and their record against top teams proved that out. It fell on hard times during the 70's and fo most part during the 80's, but during the 90's, a resurgence began and as they built synergy towards their goals, you are now seeing the fruit of that for which they aimed. It has taken them longer because they are a smaller school and they did not have the committment to athletic excellence as they have now. They regularly beat OSU and for 2-3 quarters last year, they gave OU all they wanted. I thnk you will feel differently about Tulsa after you see them on the field at RRS on Nov. 1st.

I am somewhat aware of the oil money that has resided in Tulsa.  Dated a chearleader when I was at the U of A who was from Tulsa.  But where specifically are those improvements and growth for the future happening there?  Not saying there not, just wondering....

Hawg Barry

Tulsa is NOT doing a stadium expansion!! TU has done a renovation. Huge difference. Chapman Stadium has been redesigned and DOWNSIZED to hold 30,000 (down from 40,000 a few years ago.). NOT 50,000. The reason to downsize? As not to show empty seats!
TU is the smallest school in D1 football and also a very small alumni base (especially those actually living in Tulsa area.) In the early 2000's they gave away football tickets to boost their attandance high enough to prevent their D1 status from being yanked.
The Jenks-Tulsa Union high school football game is the largest crowd every year at Chapman Stadium, except when OU or OSU might come to Tulsa (about once a decade each.) 
TU's budget is so small they don't even play baseball. They play the mininium sports to keep D1 status and that's it.

PetrinoBall is rolling!!

Pigdiana Jones

I'm sorry, but no school in Oklahoma, or Missouri are in the "southeast" region of the country. Arkansas is just barely in it, thankgoodness. Trying to get Texas, sure it'll bring competition but they're not in the southeast. Plus who would OU have every year for a rival anyway... that is big money maker there.

Now as for legitimate teams in the "southeast" GA Tech, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, U of Central Florida, U of Southern Florida, Southern Miss, Louisville and probably some other schools there that could possibly move up and get their tails kicked around until their programs catch up to the rest of the conference..
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

jkstock04

September 05, 2008, 06:52:33 am #32 Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:54:08 am by jkstock04
Quote from: VandyHog on September 05, 2008, 03:21:50 am

I 100% agree with this.  We completley lay an egg against a division 1aa school and almost lose....are looking 4 or 5 wins straight in the face this year....Vandy looks VERY solid this year and are off to a 2-0 start (1-0 conference) after convincingly beating a good South Carolina team (it didn't look like a fluke or freak win to me).

And here we are with a thread about them leaving the SEC because of their inability to "EVER be a contender in the SEC."  Call me crazy, but this seems kind of ridonkulous.  What do you think would have happened if we had played this Vandy team in our opener last Saturday night?  LOL...would we still be having this thread?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Milton

I'd put Ap. State in there, not much in the way of basketball but a D-1 quality football team IMO
But I don't really agree with making Vandy drop out, even though I think they have the qualifications for a Ivy League School
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 04:35:41 am
Tulsa football in the 1960's was as good as any in the nation and their record against top teams proved that out. It fell on hard times during the 70's and fo most part during the 80's, but during the 90's, a resurgence began and as they built synergy towards their goals, you are now seeing the fruit of that for which they aimed.

What has gotten into you Muskogee?  A quick check of the facts reveals that Tulsa during the '60s had a composite ranking of #78.

The highwater mark for them was the decade of the '40s with a composite ranking of #42.

Their highest composite for the last 50 years was the decade of the '80s at #70.

For the current decade their composite stands at #103.  If they continue to trend as they have the past 3 seasons they will finish this decade better,  but be realistic,  you can't make a good case for Tulsa in the SEC by the numbers.

Vandy's composites are better than Tulsa in every decade for the whole history of college football.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/conferenceusa/tulsa/rankings.php

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vanderbilt/rankings.php
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Conway Cool Daddy

Isn't there a reason that every conference has a private school?

It seems like it has some kind of financial ramifications?

???

Gus the head hog

PositronHog

East TN HAWG

Two words, Texas or Oklahoma!

If Vandy were to leave, they would be replaced by someone that can bring new TV Markets.  My Guess, Texas, A&M, OU, or VA Tech.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on September 05, 2008, 07:10:47 am

What has gotten into you Muskogee?  A quick check of the facts reveals that Tulsa during the '60s had a composite ranking of #78.

The highwater mark for them was the decade of the '40s with a composite ranking of #42.

Their highest composite for the last 50 years was the decade of the '80s at #70.

For the current decade their composite stands at #103.  If they continue to trend as they have the past 3 seasons they will finish this decade better,  but be realistic,  you can't make a good case for Tulsa in the SEC by the numbers.

Vandy's composites are better than Tulsa in every decade for the whole history of college football.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/conferenceusa/tulsa/rankings.php

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/vanderbilt/rankings.php

Hey, it was late(or early, whichever you prefer) and I needed sleep. :) Tulsa had a good program at some point in the 50's under Glenn Dobbs and again in the 60's when I think Jerry Rhome, their QB, came in second for the Heisman. I don't remember the exact years, but they were really good. Sorry there Albert, I was at the hospital until about 1:30 a.m. or so and I was about to go cross eyed.
Go Hogs Go!

Albert Einswine

September 05, 2008, 08:14:29 am #41 Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:19:02 am by Albert Einswine
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2008, 08:11:26 am
Hey, it was late(or early, whichever you prefer) and I needed sleep. :) Tulsa had a good program at some point in the 50's under Glenn Dobbs and again in the 60's when I think Jerry Rhome, their QB, came in second for the Heisman. I don't remember the exact years, but they were really good. Sorry there Albert, I was at the hospital until about 1:30 a.m. or so and I was about to go cross eyed.

Fatigue gets the better of us all.  ;)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Barry on September 05, 2008, 06:07:06 am

Tulsa is NOT doing a stadium expansion!! TU has done a renovation. Huge difference. Chapman Stadium has been redesigned and DOWNSIZED to hold 30,000 (down from 40,000 a few years ago.). NOT 50,000. The reason to downsize? As not to show empty seats!
TU is the smallest school in D1 football and also a very small alumni base (especially those actually living in Tulsa area.) In the early 2000's they gave away football tickets to boost their attandance high enough to prevent their D1 status from being yanked.
The Jenks-Tulsa Union high school football game is the largest crowd every year at Chapman Stadium, except when OU or OSU might come to Tulsa (about once a decade each.) 
TU's budget is so small they don't even play baseball. They play the mininium sports to keep D1 status and that's it.

My bad, you are right. I verified. I really thought they were going the other way and exapnding to 50, no going down to 30. Never mind.
Go Hogs Go!

IUHog

Schools named after a city--not in the SEC
Schools who's names tell you what part of the state they are from--not in the SEC

Albert Einswine

Quote from: IUHog on September 05, 2008, 08:21:48 am
Schools named after a city--not in the SEC
Schools who's names tell you what part of the state they are from--not in the SEC

I like that!

Tripod1

Got to agree with VandyHog as their overall program is in good shape.  I realize SEC schools are identified by their football program but if you look at all sports mens and womens, Vandy is by no means last in the SEC.  Besides, they bring the SEC's grade point average up quite a bit.

MDH

I'd hate to see Vandy leave the SEC.  The conference needs Vandy.
If they did though, I think the best fit would be Louisville.
I really want Texas and Oklahoma in the conference too, but want and logic don't exactly mesh in these two cases.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

The Marmot

You cant be serious Muskogee.....

As for the original question, I think Clemson, Georgia Tech or Florida St would be the best choices.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Choctaw Hog

Not going to happen but for the fun of it...West Virginia.

Ryan-O

I think Florida State or Georgia Tech would fit in well.