Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all the Nutt apologists...let me challenge you with one question:

Started by whatsshakinbacon, September 02, 2008, 06:46:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DezNuttstehsuq

The only good scenario with Nutt at the helm would be....

Insistience on pounding the ball with some imaginary tailback and not having a skilled Casey at teh helm would have resulted in a loss and Nutt's firing the next day.  No golden handcuffs, no ceremony... just get your sorry ass out of here.   Then he cant find a job elsewhere of any consequence and is ushered off the coaching circuit and is no longer influential in the lives of young men.

But hey, we won, came from behind for the first time in like 2 decades and we got ourselves a coach boys!!!

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 02, 2008, 07:02:16 pm
This isn't a "hate Nutt" thread.  I just want someone to give me statistical evidence based on past performances that show how Nutt would have done.  This is a logical question.  We've gone from a high powered run attack that was much maligned for being too one dimensional to a more balanced attack. 

Is this philosophical move a good one?

Bacon out...

I haven't read the entire thread, but I do know that in Nutt's tenure he never lost to a non-BCS conference school. In fact, his only 3 non-conference losses came to USC (twice) and Texas. While the game against WIU would have been ugly with Nutt at the healm, I really don't think he would have lost the game.

With that said, I'm thrilled BP is in town and I look forward to seeing Ole Miss taste the bitter taste of 3-5 in the SEC every year.

razorbackfan502000

Arkansas would have beat WIU if orgeron were the coach. Um they would have beat WIU if i were the coach. Lets get real here, wiu is not much more that a juco, none of their players are sec caliber athletes, the talent level is so great it shouldnt be close .

With these same players, Nutt likely would have lost this game.  But Nutt wouldn't have had these people.  He would have run it all night and and likely wouldn't have had as many injuries and would have had Fairchild, Smith, Petrus, and some others who have gone by the wayside.  By seasons end, we will have at least 2 more victories with Petrino than we would have had with Nutt.  Houston's verison of this team might have only won the first 2 games, going 2-10 for the season.  I still think there are 6 wins out there with Petrino and these guys.

secfan30

Nutt would have been fired Monday. Dmac and Felix were gone regardless who the coach was. Too much $$$$$$$$$ to come back and risk it.

secfan30

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 08:14:17 pm
Arkansas would have beat WIU if orgeron were the coach. Um they would have beat WIU if i were the coach. Lets get real here, wiu is not much more that a juco, none of their players are sec caliber athletes, the talent level is so great it shouldnt be close .

Their RB is SEC talent. I would bet money he will be drafted before many of the SEC Starters are.

I'm very glad Petrino is our coach and that Nutt is gone. With that being said, Nutt never lost to a scrub rent-a-win so you can't presume he would have lost that game.

I also think BP gives us a better chance to beat teams on our schedule that Nutt rarely ever did.

razorbackkid

Thank God we didn't have to witness Nutt coaching against WIU.  He may have done well, he may not have.  Petrino and the Hogs won.  Wasn't an impressive opening game, but we won.

Nutt won at Ole Miss.  Oct. 25 is coming.

Wear your Hog hat.

Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

SupaCrawf

24-21 WIU.  We would have been up 14-10 at half.  Then, we would have been stagnant in the second half, defense would not have been any better (cause Reggie would have still been here), and the offense would have become too predictable.  Assuming Smith was still out and Curtis still banged up, nothing gets better.  Casey still would have only had one reciever and no confidence.
I'm kind of a big deal.

Newhopehog

who would have been his RB's..could not have MS that was ncaa thing....would not have petrus.....he would have tried to run against 8 or 9 in the box..the o line didn't have much success with that sat did they...so where does he get the points///

HoopS

I know I said we would have won, and based on history, one would assume that's correct.  However, he left our D in shambles.  He didn't develop any kind of aerial attack.  He leaned so heavily on DMac, Felix, Hillis and Monk while neglected all other skills, this would have certainly been his toughest year to continue not losing to those types of teams.

I believe that he would not have suspended Smith.....unless we had someone else who had clearly stepped up there.  I don't think he would have kicked FF off the team either.

-if we were down 10 in the 4th with Nutt, we would have lost.

-on 4th and 10, he would have tried for a field goal and prayed for overtime.
As it stands, our team got better the other night.  CD has to feel more confident than ever before knowing Coach has faith in him.  The receivers likewise - and neither of those things would have happened under Nutt.

Going forward, we know we can throw the ball effectively.  We know Carlton Salters can catch a clutch pass over the middle after running a precise route.  We know Childs and Adams and the others can learn a legit D1 playbook in short order and perform.  We know Casey Dick can actually lead us to victory. 

We would have likely won with him...maybe not.  But we won a lot more the other night.

The future is bright.

cbjagman

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 06:49:56 pm
Who gives a crap? Nutts not here, jesus why not as how many yards mitch would have passed for if he had been here to?

Why don't all of you that claim you hate nutt just stop talking about the man. There are 20 threads started about the man by those that claim to hate him for every one that is started by a "hugger". Atleast have the integrity to stop acting like youre tired of hearing about him lol
Sorry but it is a legitimate question. Here's why:ever since last Saturday's game there are been more than a few whinners who have criticized Petrino for his handling of the game and the performance of the team. Therefore, for those of us who are absolutely sick of these "fans" who feel that for whatever outlandish reason feel that the past headcoach might have done better the question remains to be answered........By the way, if you don't like the question why not just ignore it? No one was specifically asking for your input................

webbgem

Nutt is a terrible coach, but Arkansas still wins the game.  Do I get $25 if I guess the score correctly?
Matthew 6:34

Mr. Hog

Quote from: T-Town on September 02, 2008, 07:13:10 pm
a better question would be, what would the score be if Vince Lombardi had those same players saturday or Pop Warner, or Frank Broyles...you guys are absurd with your hatred. I grew up in Ark and have never seen this low caliber of fan emerge until some HS kids cried to media and their parents. Get over it man

Uh you don't know what the hec your talking about and it's obvious you believe everything you read !
Go Hogs Go!

mlloyd4

The bigger question is how Nutt would have done against Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Kentucky - in comparison to Petrino, and that question is yet to be answered.

Nutt had a fine record against the out of conference cookies, so I expect that he would have won.  Maybe he kicks the FG, and as luck would have it this time, it's good; then we win it in overtime. 
WPS

hei5manhog

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 02, 2008, 07:23:14 pm
That isn't a fair question.

For starters Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson wouldn't be here if Nutt were still the coach, so the point is moot.

What does Tyler Wilson have to do with anything? I kind of doubt we'll ever see him start If Dick stays healthy this year and Mallett the following 3.  Of course we wouldn't have Mallett if Nutt were still here either...
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

huntindoc

Quote from: HoopS on September 02, 2008, 08:05:16 pm
Wayne, he wouldn't have suspended Smith. 

He did last year as I recall.

No way HDN's offense scores 28 on that team.  They would have loaded up the box and made us throw it (which we wouldn't have been able to do).  If you noticed, BP made some adjustments at the half and the offensive line performed MUCH better in the second half.

hd

hd

HoopS

whatsshakinbacon

This is great, everyone.  Let's get it out of our system.  I agree with the win the battle, lose the war analogy, but for the life of me I have to think HDN would have had some serious trouble trying to win this game with these players.

I harken back to the UNLV game in LR and the offensive problems we had early on in that game.  Something tells me this would have been very similar.

Bacon out...

neahog

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 02, 2008, 06:46:11 pm
What would the final score of Saturday's game be if Nutt were still at the helm, and with the same players Petrino had?

Bacon out...

I think if Nutt were the coach we would have won more handily. WIU would not have gotten the ball as much and we would have run, run, run the ball and worn down their line. Our offensive line wouldn't have been learning new schemes, so I don't think that this would have been unrealistic. I'm obviously pulling this score out of my butt, but I think we would have won like 35-17. That said, I don't think Nutt would do much better or worse than Petrino this year with these players. Further, Nutt never would have won more than 10 games and a division title. I feel like Petrino will do better than that by year three or four.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

jgphillips3

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 08:01:00 pm
Nutt never lost to an FCS level team not even in. 4 win season, what makes ANYONE believe that last sat would have been the first? Come on people get real

I have seen your other posts where you say you cut off support for Nutt in the last two seasons to the tune of $10k per year and didn't sit in your seats.  What I find curious is why you come to his defense on this issue.  It is a true statement to say he never lost to a 1AA team.  However, what does that matter?  Prior to 1994, Nolan Richardson had never won a national championship.  Does that mean that the 1994 championship never happened?

History is not the only indicator of likely outcomes.  This would have been the most talent deprived team Nutt ever took the field with.  This is a game, based upon their defensive scheme, we could easily have lost.  Just because something has never happened before doesn't mean it won't happen. 

The whole point of this post is that Nutt huggers have come out of the woodworks proclaiming that the result we saw on Saturday night would never have happened on his watch and are laughing about it - which of course shows they weren't Razorback fans to begin with.  Don't be upset when a rationalist points out that they may be wrong.  The point is that it is just as likely we would have lost to this team with Nutt as it is that we squeaked out the win in the fashion that we did and only a persons internal bias would tell them otherwise.

huntindoc

Quote from: HoopS on September 02, 2008, 10:04:39 pm
He didn't need him last year, doc. 

True.  And that's probably the reason I'm most happy he's no longer our coach.

hd

Newhopehog

I still haven't seen anyone says who is going to do that hard running for a whole game under nutt...not MS to small,,,,not curtis injured......not Johnson he wouldn't have been on the team so who is the mystery RB who would have pounded WIU.....

GuvHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 02, 2008, 07:23:14 pm
That isn't a fair question.

For starters Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson wouldn't be here if Nutt were still the coach, so the point is moot.

What in the world does Tyler Wilson have to do with this??? He never got off of the bench!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Tejano Jawg

I think we would have lost 42-29...no wait...that was last year's Kentucky score. Maybe Western Ill wins 9-7...nope, that was last year's Auburn score. I know...Hogs lose 31-26...uhhh nah, that was the 06 LSU score. NO, this is it! Hogs lose 28-24...no, dang it, that was 05's Vandy score.

Oh I don't know...
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HuntinHog421

Why are we still talking about Nutt? This is absurd. He's gone. No trace of him remains. We've got Petrino. Nobody cares about Nutt anymore. I thought that when we finally got rid of him we would finally be able to move along as one fanbase, but we're going to get nowhere by asking ourselves, "Well, how would Nutt have done it?" or "Would Nutt have won the game?" or any other ridiculous questions that have absolutely nothing to do with our current team. A win is a win. Sure we didn't look too hot in the first half but we won it. It's over. It's done. Let's just quit talking about Nutt, because he's gone, focus on the positives of our team, and give Petrino a chance.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

neahog

Quote from: Newhopehog on September 02, 2008, 10:24:35 pm
I still haven't seen anyone says who is going to do that hard running for a whole game under nutt...not MS to small,,,,not curtis injured......not Johnson he wouldn't have been on the team so who is the mystery RB who would have pounded WIU.....
The point is that the offensive line would have been blocking within the context of familiar schemes. Our O line would have worn them down. Anyway, nobody is arguing that Nutt is a better coach, just that he would have had more success against this one particular team.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

whatsshakinbacon

Okay Razorback fans...

I did all this to prove a point.  The point is that all of us who answered in this thread are right.  What, you say?  Yes, we are all right.  The answers to the theoretical question are impossible to prove right, or prove wrong.  Yet for some reason we spent 2 pages and countless hours answering them.

For those of you who answered with the understanding that these are just opinions and therefore unprovable, congratulations.  You passed the test.  Those of you who, on the other hand, were angered and upset with such foolishness and wanted to argue at the drop of a hat for someone else's obviously fallable statements...well, you lose.

Every person on this or any message board that treats his or her opinion as right can do so, but this idea of force-feeding your opinions down someone else's throat, whether it be in support or against Nutt, is irrelevant and a huge waste of time.  One of my favorite sayings goes as follows..."A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".  Why do Nutt huggers think they can force Petrino fans to change their minds?  Why do Petrino fans feel the same way in reverse? 

Message boards should be approached as a face to face conversation would be...with civility and reverence for the others.  I have information you may not be privy to.  And you may have some I'm unaware of.  Share the information which you can, but do so with the utmost respect for those you disagree with.

I disagree with razorbackfan502000 but can do so with respect for his position.  This is something we should all strive for.

Without a doubt, Hogville is the greatest community for Razorback relationships I've ever been a part of.  Instead of pushing agendas we should all be thankful for views other than our own.  This forum allows that and I thank Lanny for giving me the free access to it I have.

There.  I said it...Jerry Macguire moment over.

Bacon out...

El Puerco Grande

The bottom line is, I'm fixin' to go to bed and sleep better just knowing that POS is in MS.
How 'bout them hogs?

hogman64

First off I hate Nutt and hope he loses every game he coaches and he should be banned from ever coaching another college game for what he did here and got away with.

Second of all, we would have won the game easily. Nutts offense would have controlled the ball and worn down their defense easily and kept the ball away from their offense.  While winning this game we would have absolutely been doing nothing that would help us down the line against the better teams in the SEC , we would have not have worked on a passing game at all, we would have pushed around their defensive line easily with our run blocking.....Nutt was a great coach against pushover non conference teams and the sorriest teams inthe  SEC ole miss and miss st. outside that he was a below  500 coach.

After the game the Schaeffers and Barretts would have talked about as fact that we held back a big part of our offense because we didnt need it to win the game,  never mind the fact that what y ou saw in  this game was  OUR OFFENSE  and you would see the  same thing the rest of the year.

Petrino barely won the game , but he has a plan to get better during the year and become an elite program, he isnt going to be happy beating the crum teams and going to a crum bowl...........

BEvERage

Quote from: wayne1958 on September 02, 2008, 07:17:31 pm
We don't last years system.  In case you didn't notice, Felix and DMAC are gone.

and so is nutt.

but if the beatles got back together and played at halftime, would they play revolution or let it be?

jep_hog_fan

Being as the rushing attack wasn't working that great, wouldn'tve been good, imo

Milton

What would the final score of Saturday's game be if Nutt were still at the helm, and with the same players Petrino had?

Bacon out...
i'm guesing 15-30 with arkansas on the loosing end
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

HoopS

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 02, 2008, 11:24:49 pm
Okay Razorback fans...

I did all this to prove a point.  The point is that all of us who answered in this thread are right.  What, you say?  Yes, we are all right.  The answers to the theoretical question are impossible to prove right, or prove wrong.  Yet for some reason we spent 2 pages and countless hours answering them.

For those of you who answered with the understanding that these are just opinions and therefore unprovable, congratulations.  You passed the test.  Those of you who, on the other hand, were angered and upset with such foolishness and wanted to argue at the drop of a hat for someone else's obviously fallable statements...well, you lose.

Every person on this or any message board that treats his or her opinion as right can do so, but this idea of force-feeding your opinions down someone else's throat, whether it be in support or against Nutt, is irrelevant and a huge waste of time.  One of my favorite sayings goes as follows..."A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".  Why do Nutt huggers think they can force Petrino fans to change their minds?  Why do Petrino fans feel the same way in reverse? 

Message boards should be approached as a face to face conversation would be...with civility and reverence for the others.  I have information you may not be privy to.  And you may have some I'm unaware of.  Share the information which you can, but do so with the utmost respect for those you disagree with.

I disagree with razorbackfan502000 but can do so with respect for his position.  This is something we should all strive for.

Without a doubt, Hogville is the greatest community for Razorback relationships I've ever been a part of.  Instead of pushing agendas we should all be thankful for views other than our own.  This forum allows that and I thank Lanny for giving me the free access to it I have.

Bacon out...

good post.  Nobody can really prove exactly what would have happened. 

I know this, we are a better team today than we were going into that game because we worked on areas we needed to work on.  Our QB and receivers got some real action and now have legit film to look at and improve upon.

Good post.  You complete this board.   8)

BILLYBOB

Bacon out...

Let it go, man.  Good Lord.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

HoggyWayne

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 07:14:54 pm
Ok bacon. Ill play along, even though this question has been answered in other threads.

Historical evidence suggests that nutt would have won that game bu 14 points minimum. Would we have had the flashy passing game? Of course not, but we would have 300 yards on the ground, controlled the clock and dismantled WIU

Ps sorry about the typos, its hard to edit from wap for those that commented on such

My guess is that WIU's MLB Jason Williams would have had 32 tackles if Dale were still at the helm.

The Phoenix

Bacon out...

I think had Nutt still been the coach, we likely would not have been down 10 points in the 4th quarter.

Nutt would have played more ball control, and WI would probably not have dominated in time of possession.

He would not have played as many freshmen, and the upperclassmen would not have had a big adjustment to make in systems.

I don't know what the final score would have been, but I think the Hogs would have won by more than 4.

TarHeel

Not that it matters, I think our physical conditioning would have been poor in the final quarter under the previous head coach.  It's hard to say whether Nutt would have won with the same bunch of players.  He may have chosen to kick off instead of receive, who knows?  Regardless, "Success is not always a good teacher".  The Hogs may have had the second best teacher in WIU last weekend.  I consider BP and his staff the best teachers they have had in years.

GBoling5000

Bacon out...

+1 Well said.  My only gripe is about the people who enter yet another "Nutt" post to complain about the existence of yet another "Nutt" post.  There are people on Hogville who obviously want to continue to bash Nutt, so let them have their posts, and if others don't want to read the Nutt posts, stay out!

Hawgz4Life

I think that Col 2012 is going to be doing a lot less smirking by the end of the season...hell, by the end of this week. I think that given the exact situation...just swapping coaches, Nutt loses. He never had the confidence in his ENTIRE team to get the win or to stick his neck out and gamble. A gamble should not be confused with an act of desperation (throw it up and see who catches it). Nutt's days of coaching D1 football will not last as long at Ole Piss the way they did here. They got a WHOLE other gob network that he ain't a part of...and if he is, then their gob network deserves what it gets because of that. Hope this makes sense to ya'll.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I think the score would have been better, not because I like Nutt, I don't, but because the players did not have to learn a new complex offense and defense (stab at Nutts Vanilla Offense), but they had what? like 20 freshmen play in the game.  It's easier to transition to Nutts game play.

Petrino's team will take a good half a year of playing just for those guys to be comfortable.  Petrino is by far superior to Nutt in coaching. 

Let's say Both Petrino and Nutt both take over teams of equal caliber and play WIU say in mid-season Petrino dominates.

PolishPigPower

With the exact same players on the field, I believe no nails would have been spared on the hands of TCTWF.  Our offense was only successful after stretching the field 5-wide and throwing it all around the yard.  Simply put, that just isn't something we would have seen.  And I don't believe the previous staff's presence would have stopped those fumbles, either.  WIU would have still had 8 or 9 in the box, and we would have only had 1 or 2 real receiving threats (see Ole Miss vs. Memphis).

Dick would have gone 9 of 19 for 129 yards, and this board would have roasted him.  Curtis would have amassed 96 yards on 14 carries, mostly out of the Wild Hog.  We would have lost the game 21-13, and the post-game call-in shows would have lasted till 8am the next day.  There would be a banner prepped for the ULM game reading, "21-13... seriously?"
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

ballhog88

Okay Razorback fans...

Bacon out...

Great post

SteelShot

"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

tusksincolorado

Nutt would had lost.
Next day we would had a "Crow Moment".
Then Reggie would had been our Head Coach for 2008.
And we would had missed our greatest "GET" with CBP and his crew!

Go Hogs!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

TrojanHog

tough to say. there would have been no joe adams, no tramain thomas, no jerico nelson, and a couple others that petrino got on late that played.

of course, freddie fairchild would have played the 2nd half and so too would have michael smith and 1 other suspended linebacker. barnett I believe is the name.

the players would have been different to say the least. if we had gotten behind like that we would not have come back. I do know that. 10 minutes, 2 scores? no in Nutt's wildest fantasies.

probably would have won the game by about the same margin, maybe another TD because the players would have been using the system they were more accustomed to and fairchild and burton/barnett at LB plus smith running the ball.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: ATLpiggie on September 02, 2008, 07:20:02 pm
I will answer your question the best way I know how.  If all of the miscues that happened last Saturday, ie dropped passes, fumbled kickoff, WR fumble, the Int, and Oline missing pass blocking assignments, were to have happened to a Nutt coached team he would have become so conservative that Western Illinois would have beaten us by at least 10 points.  It just wasn't in Nutt's nature to have enough belief in the passing game to keep going to it to get the rhythm finally going.  Western Illinois was loading up the line of scrimmage so there was no way a conservative run oriented attack was going to cut it.  I do believe our D-line play would have been better though because of the amount of respect I have for Rocker's coaching ability but that alone would not have been enough to prevent us from losing if Nutt was here.

agreed
Let's make some waves.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgz4Life on September 03, 2008, 08:19:55 am
I think that Col 2012 is going to be doing a lot less smirking by the end of the season...hell, by the end of this week. I think that given the exact situation...just swapping coaches, Nutt loses. He never had the confidence in his ENTIRE team to get the win or to stick his neck out and gamble. A gamble should not be confused with an act of desperation (throw it up and see who catches it). Nutt's days of coaching D1 football will not last as long at Ole Piss the way they did here. They got a WHOLE other gob network that he ain't a part of...and if he is, then their gob network deserves what it gets because of that. Hope this makes sense to ya'll.

Sure.  They have a history of dumping coaches after just three years.  Nothing about them makes me think they will change now.

FT LNG CHILI HOG

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 02, 2008, 07:02:16 pm
This isn't a "hate Nutt" thread.  I just want someone to give me statistical evidence based on past performances that show how Nutt would have done.  This is a logical question.  We've gone from a high powered run attack that was much maligned for being too one dimensional to a more balanced attack. 

Is this philosophical move a good one?

Bacon out...

I don't think what we saw Saturday was a more balanced offense was it?  I haven't actually looked at the stats, but I think we threw the ball way more than ran it and scored 28 points.  Now, I am not defending Nutt at all!  I just don't think Saturday's games was more balanced.