Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all the Nutt apologists...let me challenge you with one question:

Started by whatsshakinbacon, September 02, 2008, 06:46:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsshakinbacon

What would the final score of Saturday's game be if Nutt were still at the helm, and with the same players Petrino had?

Bacon out...

razorbackfan502000

Who gives a darn? Nutts not here, jesus why not as how many yards mitch would have passed for if he had been here to?

Why don't all of you that claim you hate nutt just stop talking about the man. There are 20 threads started about the man by those that claim to hate him for every one that is started by a "hugger". Atleast have the integrity to stop acting like youre tired of hearing about him lol

Loop

It would not have been good.  Rather than Casey Dick having multiple recievers, he would have had only one at the best of times.  Given the same situation of 4th and 10, Nutt would have run his infamous DRAW! 
     Petrino has taken the bag of young inexperienced and talented lemons and has made a nice batch of lemonade.  Consequently, we must must not get ahead of ourselves and manage our expectations for this young team.  However, what I saw Saturday was a team with a tremendous amount of potential and an offense that looks extremely lethal.
    The Dow Hog is UP!

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 06:49:56 pm
Who gives a crap? Nutts not here, jesus why not as how many yards mitch would have passed for if he had been here to?

Why don't all of you that claim you hate nutt just stop talking about the man. There are 20 threads started about the man by those that claim to hate him for every one that is started by a "hugger". Atleast have the integrity to stop acting like youre tired of hearing about him lol

Hey dude, calm down.  If you don't like the premise of my thread when you see it, don't hit reply and click enter for crying out loud. 

This isn't about you.  Not everything is.

Bacon out...

fiercefiasco

I don't like Nutt, but now that the Bobby P era has started can we please let this go?  Or at least add how we think Holtz or Ford, etc. would have done in that game? 

Boarcephus

I know this is not part of the scenario but Adams wouldn't have been on the field. 

My question is this...if you could trade Petrino for any collegiate coach in the country, straight up, who would it be?   I'm not sure there is a coach out there, with the possible exception of Pete Carroll, that I'd trade with.  I like who we have and can honestly say I wouldn't trade him for Stoops, Sabin, Miles, the prick at Michigan, Spurrier, or anyone else I can come up with.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jst01

31 - 17 WIU.  Nutt would have waited until 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter to start throwing 5 yard underneath routes to Hillis....(sorry, old habits are hard to break) Wade or another receiver and we would have never been able to move the ball down the field so efficiently and quickly.  Im so dang thankful we have BP!

Also, Nutt would have begun his post-game interview with this: "losing three very special offensive players to the NFL is tough guys, and Western Illinois played tough and bounced around all game long showing a lot of heart for their coach out there...... :puke:

Eddie Piggard

agree bacon......

if you don't want to hear or discuss, STFU!!  And don't click on the thread....how stupid can some of you be?
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

whatsshakinbacon

This isn't a "hate Nutt" thread.  I just want someone to give me statistical evidence based on past performances that show how Nutt would have done.  This is a logical question.  We've gone from a high powered run attack that was much maligned for being too one dimensional to a more balanced attack. 

Is this philosophical move a good one?

Bacon out...

razorbackfan502000

Bacon, i like reading your stuff and all and i want trying to make it seem like a personal attack im just tired of hearing about the buffoon this and the buffoon that, between hims , the SD5 deal and now petrino being "bashed" by the media its starting to seem like all hog fans can do is whine and feel sorry for ourselves and i know were better than that

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 07:02:32 pm
Bacon, i like reading your stuff and all and i want trying to make it seem like a personal attack im just tired of hearing about the buffoon this and the buffoon that, between hims , the SD5 deal and now petrino being "bashed" by the media its starting to seem like all hog fans can do is whine and feel sorry for ourselves and i know were better than that

This isn't about bashing Nutt and nowhere do I mention the SD5.  I want to know honestly how people think we would have done this weekend.

Bacon out...

Le Hogtre

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 02, 2008, 06:46:11 pm
What would the final score of Saturday's game be if Nutt were still at the helm, and with the same players Petrino had?

Bacon out...

The O-line would have dominated...There would be no new schemes for the defense or offense.  I think we win by about 20-30. points

Wayne Watson

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 07:02:32 pm

Proof read that and come again.  Thanks.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Pignoramus

I was a Nutt supporter (look at some of my past posts), but being realistic, we probably would not have won the game.  I don't see any way we would have passed for 300 yards and I doubt if Casey would have had 2 rushing touchdowns.
Turnovers did hurt us. We have a young team that is going to learn and improve each week.
And with Michael out, Coach Petrino had us throwing maybe more than even he planned, but he didn't have much choice.  He used what weapons he had, and with some smart coaching, won the game when it counted. 
A football game is 60 minutes not 58, and a win is a win!  We weren't "just one play away" Saturday night!  Go Bobby!  Go Hogs!   :razorback:

clarkhog

No one knows how that would turn out.This game was not a disgrace,it may be better it turned out this way.Casey proved himself a leader and this team knows it can come back to win.Alot of mistakes happened but it's better now to get them corrected than later in the season.

As far as your question I think Nutt wins this game by 2 tds.
Kelloggs of Battle Creek,the best to you each morning.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Pignoramus on September 02, 2008, 07:06:05 pm
I was a Nutt supporter (look at some of my past posts), but being realistic, we probably would not have won the game.  I don't see any way we would have passed for 300 yards and I doubt if Casey would have had 2 rushing touchdowns.
Turnovers did hurt us. We have a young team that is going to learn and improve each week.
And with Michael out, Coach Petrino had us throwing maybe more than even he planned, but he didn't have much choice.  He used what weapons he had, and with some smart coaching, won the game when it counted. 
A football game is 60 minutes not 58, and a win is a win!  We weren't "just one play away" Saturday night!  Go Bobby!  Go Hogs!   :razorback:

Excellent post and very good points.

Over the past few years our team always came out flat in the first couple of games before things got going.  Casey Dick running with the ball was new, but I can't say Nutt didn't do that with Matt Jones.

Turnovers were indeed a big part of this game.

Bacon out...

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: 240bgunner on September 02, 2008, 07:06:58 pm
asking this question is like asking if meechigan woulda won with mallett.  there is no correct choice, no statistical proof that can be attained. 

You are correct sir...but that doesn't mean this question is going away.  I welcome the opinions - and no opinion is wrong.

Bacon out...

Wayne Watson

Quote from: clarkhog on September 02, 2008, 07:06:41 pm
No one knows how that would turn out.This game was not a disgrace,it may be better it turned out this way.Casey proved himself a leader and this team knows it can come back to win.Alot of mistakes happened but it's better now to get them corrected than later in the season.

I think Nutt loses by 2
We don't rent pigs

bellavistamike

The Hogs would have won under Nutt. The defense would have been set, the players knew the system, and the Hogs would have run the ball all night. Except for Adams, they would have had most of that recruiting class. Granted, the offense would have still been a bunch of runs and all of the talented kids wouldn't have seen the field because a few backs would have gotten all of the carries. Still, the Hogs beat WIU with last season's system.

That being said, we're still much better off with CBP, the new staff, and the direction of the program. If we lose to Texas, 'Bama, Auburn, Missississippi State, LSU... you can ask that question and will most likely get a far different answer.

T-Town

a better question would be, what would the score be if Vince Lombardi had those same players saturday or Pop Warner, or Frank Broyles...you guys are absurd with your hatred. I grew up in Ark and have never seen this low caliber of fan emerge until some HS kids cried to media and their parents. Get over it man
...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...

razorbackfan502000

Ok bacon. Ill play along, even though this question has been answered in other threads.

Historical evidence suggests that nutt would have won that game bu 14 points minimum. Would we have had the flashy passing game? Of course not, but we would have 300 yards on the ground, controlled the clock and dismantled WIU

Ps sorry about the typos, its hard to edit from wap for those that commented on such

RazrRila99

Based on history I feel Nutt would have "bulldozed" or at least tried to and ran the ball to the ground even with 8-9 in the box. 
I agree with the 31-17 (Possibly 31-24 because Nutt actually opening it up like he is known to do when games are out of reach, or to save his arse, ie Florida 2003, LSU 2007) WIU score. 

Thats how smaller teams can compete with bigger teams -- shut down one side of the offense and really make them beat you with one arm. Even though we do have Petrino with a new offense, we still have the same QB who for the last 3 years was unable to show he could win the game, so WIU did exactly what I would have done.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: bellavistamike on September 02, 2008, 07:12:42 pm
Still, the Hogs beat WIU with last season's system.

We don't last years system.  In case you didn't notice, Felix and DMAC are gone.
We don't rent pigs

SquidBilly

Bacon out...

I will answer your question the best way I know how.  If all of the miscues that happened last Saturday, ie dropped passes, fumbled kickoff, WR fumble, the Int, and Oline missing pass blocking assignments, were to have happened to a Nutt coached team he would have become so conservative that Western Illinois would have beaten us by at least 10 points.  It just wasn't in Nutt's nature to have enough belief in the passing game to keep going to it to get the rhythm finally going.  Western Illinois was loading up the line of scrimmage so there was no way a conservative run oriented attack was going to cut it.  I do believe our D-line play would have been better though because of the amount of respect I have for Rocker's coaching ability but that alone would not have been enough to prevent us from losing if Nutt was here.

camden5r

Who gives a crap? Nutts not here, jesus why not as how many yards mitch would have passed for if he had been here to?

then don't resond to the post then.

LLPL

Bacon out...

Defense would have still sucked so they get their 24 but we would have probably hung about 50 on them.

That is not to say Nutt is better but just the situation is entirely different. In the long run Petrino is a much better situation but this year will suffer some where Nutt would have had a so-so year. I will take the one down year to get the many good ones in the future!

jamie72921

That isn't a fair question.

For starters Joe Adams and Tyler Wilson wouldn't be here if Nutt were still the coach, so the point is moot.
Bless your heart

Hoggish1

Bacon out...

Interesting question Bacon and I know where you're going.  The obvious, gut response is they would have beat us because TCTWF has no passing game.

But, the probability would be that he would have won on a stubborn running attack that would have worn them down in the 4th Q.  I'm guessing 20-14 (Think Utah State for a most recent example).

The ultimate failure, had he been here and done that, would have been that for the 9th year in a row, he failed at developing a QB/team with the ability to have a balanced attack and play against the big boys of the SEC.

Never mind that Nutts could never call a game against a coach/team he had to outsmart to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.  With him, the rseult was nearly always the opposite.

Hoggish1

Quote from: 240bgunner on September 02, 2008, 07:16:12 pm

nutt would have probably won the game comfortably for the reasons that we would have lost so many more later down the season.  blocking schemes would have been the same as they have been for years.  smith, and all the other players wouldn't have been suspended. 

we would have won this game in an easier fashon, and we woulda gotten our arsess handed to us by other opponents later in the year that petrino will beat.

I agree.  Nutzi would have won the game and very definitely lost the war.

hoginator

My brother called me when it was 17-7 and said, "Houston isn't looking too bad right now, is he?" I responded with, "If he was still coaching it would be 17-0 !"

That got a good laugh...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

phadedhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 02, 2008, 07:31:54 pm
I agree.  Nutzi would have won the game and very definitely lost the war.

Aye...I agree with the above.  I think Nutt would have won the game a lot more easily but would've set us up for another failure at the end of the year.

bellavistamike

Wayne: I understand your point, but the Hogs would have still ran, ran and ran the ball and tried to play defense with a scheme that was in place last year (or something of that like if a new DC was in place). That big line that doesn't quite know how to pass block yet would be able to control a defensive front like WIU's in a power game.

Sure, Jones and Dmac would have been gone but Smith (provided he hadn't got his butt in a sling), Curtis and the rest of the Arkansas backs would have been able to run against that defense using that system. I think they would have changed the tone of the game. It wouldn't have been as fun as Saturday's game was, or as exciting, but it would have spelled an Arkansas win.

I'm not an apologist for HDN. I liked him OK, was p*ssed at him (and them) a good deal of the time, and I did think it was past time for him to leave. As I mentioned before, I like CBP and the direction the team is headed. I'm not down on the team for playing such a close game Saturday. I thought they showed some character by winning and I loved Casey's play down the stretch. If they had been down in the fourth quarter with Nutt, I have no doubt they'd lost because of the inability to pass and be creative with the offense. Still, just one person's opinion.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: bellavistamike on September 02, 2008, 07:35:27 pm
Wayne: I understand your point, but the Hogs would have still ran, ran and ran the ball and tried to play defense with a scheme that was in place last year (or something of that like if a new DC was in place). That big line that doesn't quite know how to pass block yet would be able to control a defensive front like WIU's in a power game.

Sure, Jones and Dmac would have been gone but Smith (provided he hadn't got his butt in a sling), Curtis and the rest of the Arkansas backs would have been able to run against that defense using that system. I think they would have changed the tone of the game. It wouldn't have been as fun as Saturday's game was, or as exciting, but it would have spelled an Arkansas win.

I'm not an apologist for HDN. I liked him OK, was p*ssed at him (and them) a good deal of the time, and I did think it was past time for him to leave. As I mentioned before, I like CBP and the direction the team is headed. I'm not down on the team for playing such a close game Saturday. I thought they showed some character by winning and I loved Casey's play down the stretch. If they had been down in the fourth quarter with Nutt, I have no doubt they'd lost because of the inability to pass and be creative with the offense. Still, just one person's opinion.

Would Nutt put the wide outs on the field to spread the defense so CD would have a chance to run for a TD?
We don't rent pigs

Axlehog

Something you may or may not know about Nutt; Every time you say his name a highly rated quarterback loses a star. It's true.

Nutt loves attention, good or bad. The man is a attention junky. The worst thing you could do to Nutt, what would really piss him off, would be never to talk about him again. Of course that ain't happening anytime soon.

To give an answer to the original post; Nobody knows. It's not only impossible to guess it's also pointless. I would like to think we would have still won but who knows. I do know I wouldn't trade head coaches with anyone in the nation.

bellavistamike

Wayne:

No. When I saw the five wideouts Saturday night I laughed because it was cool to see that Arkansas was finally getting to the place where modern football was played. HDN would have sent two, maybe three receivers out. That wouldn't have opened anything up for Dick to run through (or pass to). Still, I think that big Arkansas line would have worn down the Leathernecks and the Hogs wouldn't have needed to pass so much or hope the quarterback could run for two scores to get a win.

ballhog88

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 07:14:54 pm
Ok bacon. Ill play along, even though this question has been answered in other threads.

Historical evidence suggests that nutt would have won that game bu 14 points minimum. Would we have had the flashy passing game? Of course not, but we would have 300 yards on the ground, controlled the clock and dismantled WIU

Ps sorry about the typos, its hard to edit from wap for those that commented on such

I agree with this, Nutt was a conservative coach and would have players he felt safe in kick off returns not fumble. He played not lose and wouldn't of had 3 turnovers. He would have played smash mouth on them until he wore them out on defense. I agree he would have won by 14! I feel the same thing about Hatfield and Holtz also. In the long run I think this team will be better by getting them experience and playing through their mistakes.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: bellavistamike on September 02, 2008, 07:44:09 pm
Wayne:

No. When I saw the five wideouts Saturday night I laughed because it was cool to see that Arkansas was finally getting to the place where modern football was played. HDN would have sent two, maybe three receivers out. That wouldn't have opened anything up for Dick to run through (or pass to). Still, I think that big Arkansas line would have worn down the Leathernecks and the Hogs wouldn't have needed to pass so much or hope the quarterback could run for two scores to get a win.

When Jonathan Luigs says he felt like a freshman...how much wearing down do you expect?  The seniors have to be up for the task at hand.  Casey carried the team.  That's not taking anything from the true freshman who played.  All those guys played their a$$ off.  With Nutt, the game would have been over in the third.
We don't rent pigs

PositronHog

Quote from: clarkhog on September 02, 2008, 07:06:41 pm

Huh? only if he could have convensd DMac and Felix to stay, LOL

EastTexasHog

HoopS

I think we would have won.  I think he would have pounded it and pounded it and broken off a long run or 2. 

I think Petrus would have been at fullback and Davie at TE and we would have seen a lot of "power" plays. 

He wouldn't have opened it up.  Nothing in his Arkansas tenure suggests he would have.  And I would be frustrated today that we didn't work on our weaknesses and the ability to possibly have a balanced offense.

23-14

Justifiable Hogicide

razorbackfan502000

Nutt never lost to an FCS level team not even in. 4 win season, what makes ANYONE believe that last sat would have been the first? Come on people get real

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HoopS on September 02, 2008, 07:59:09 pm
I think we would have won.  I think he would have pounded it and pounded it and broken off a long run or 2. 

Who in the back field is doing for ya?
We don't rent pigs

Cave City Joe

"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

El Puerco

hog92

nutt who?   if we had last yrs coach with this yrs team and situations  we dont win this game.  go petrino!

want2be

Nutt had no great running backs to take the place of Felix and DMack

He would not have gotten Curtis if he would have stayed. Curtis would be at Okie State

Smith would have been out and Barnett limping

He did not recruit Dennis Johnson

I would guess bringing the wood would be reduced to breaking a tooth pick. Nutt is lucky he got out with his golden handcuffs and got to go to Ol Piss who beat him in recruiting the past three years.

HoopS

Oliver

I'm far from a Nutt supporter...but I will say this. 

I think Nutt would have won by more than 4 because the players were familiar and are built for his one-dimensional offense.  BUT, if he were to have been down by 10 in the 4th like we were in the game, we would have had NO CHANCE of winning the game.  That's why Saturday got me excited.  We NOW have a 2 minute offense.  We now can come back and win games.  And we'll be able to do it against teams that count...like two of HDN's nemesis...Florida and Georgia.

PositronHog

Quote from: razorbackfan502000 on September 02, 2008, 08:01:00 pm
Nutt never lost to an FCS level team not even in. 4 win season, what makes ANYONE believe that last sat would have been the first? Come on people get real
He left the cupboard bare and a few of the freshman that contributed to the win would have never come and played for nuttless.  ??? ??? ???