Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Darius loved the Grove

Started by Jim Harris, August 31, 2008, 10:25:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Frankly, I don't get it for myriad reasons, but that's what I've been told. He was just blown away by the Grove's atmosphere, although that isn't going to mean anything if he's playing football.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

IronHog

Quote from: drakehog on August 31, 2008, 10:25:03 pm
He was just blown away

Good looking RICH women.

Ole Miss has them, the big 12 north don't.

Having said that this is what happens to highly talented D-backs who are not taught cover skills in college:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-carrollschance&prov=ap&type=lgns
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Darius come to Arkansas!!!!!!!!!

WholeHogSmoker

yeah, I was really impressed with the grove my first time there as well.  but then people opened their mouths and I realized they were all pricks.  Hootie should feel right at home. 

Torqued pork

You guys prolly forgot more about recruiting than I'll ever know, but I have a sense of dread about Friday.

razorbackmkh

The Grove is a beautiful tailgate for those who havent been. Of course the confederate flags and the "n word" coming out of half the Oxford fans mouths is not as pleasant. I'm sure he didn't get to see that side of The Grove.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

chevyhawgfan

At this point I don't care. He has done everything, but come out and say he is going to Ole Miss. If he comes here that is great, bu I expect him to pick Ole Miss and I hope he never plays a game there. Some people believe you should pull for Arkansas kids, but if he pick Ole Miss over Arkansas he isn't an Arkansas kid anymore.

idiotghos

He said he had already made his decision a while back.  Wherever he ends up, it won't be because of gameday atmosphere.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: idiotghos on September 01, 2008, 12:23:52 am
He said he had already made his decision a while back.  Wherever he ends up, it won't be because of gameday atmosphere.

I believe you are dead on... +1
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Billy

Quote from: chevyhawgfan on August 31, 2008, 11:47:38 pm
At this point I don't care. He has done everything, but come out and say he is going to Ole Miss. If he comes here that is great, bu I expect him to pick Ole Miss and I hope he never plays a game there. Some people believe you should pull for Arkansas kids, but if he pick Ole Miss over Arkansas he isn't an Arkansas kid anymore.
I think you are WAY off in your assumption that OM is his definite choice.

Razorvet

The grove isnt for players. Its for rich white folks trying to climb the ladder. How many pictures have you seen of a black family on the grove?
http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/09/29/travel/escapes/29grove.html?pagewanted=2

This really says it all. Its a great place to be seen but I doubt Darius would be welcome in many of those tents if he wasnt in uniform.

Razorvet

This poor kid probably thought he belonged in the Grove too when he was being courted to Ole Miss.
http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=7149625

Porkys Revenge

I hope he liked the grove. If he commits to Ole Miss he can pick up pecans there during the holidays while we're busy playing in BCS bowl games.

razorback541

rzrbcksooie

i find this funny.. because i constantly get criticized for not "supporting" arkansas kids who go out of state to play football (mostly mustain, but also burns, ziemba, williams, etc) and if darius goes to ole miss all of these hypocrits are going to come out and give that kid hell... doing alot more than not supporting him... probably constantly cussing him, making fun of him, and letting everyone know how dumb he is for going to ole miss..... its ironic and hypocritical....... so unless you plan to support darius winston wearing a rebel jersey dont say anything to me about calling mitch mustain a big over rated crybaby..

chevyhawgfan

rzrbcksooie go back and find where I ever said you should support them. I pull for no kid out of state regardless of his reason for going out of state. I have never and will never pull for them.

rzrbcksooie

you didnt tell me that i should support them.. and im not accusing you of saying that... but yes i have had many people telling me i am in the wrong for not supporting arkansans at usc and auburn... but now that the tables have turned and a kid might want to go to ole miss everyone wants to hate him... im not calling you out, im talking about the heat i have taken from others

Darren DeLoach

September 01, 2008, 02:45:35 am #17 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:57:41 am by semohawg
Quote from: rzrbcksooie on September 01, 2008, 02:24:36 am
you didnt tell me that i should support them.. and im not accusing you of saying that... but yes i have had many people telling me i am in the wrong for not supporting arkansans at usc and auburn... but now that the tables have turned and a kid might want to go to ole miss everyone wants to hate him... im not calling you out, im talking about the heat i have taken from others

you are chastised for condemning kids who escaped from the despotic tenure of hdn or choose to go elsewhere out of high school because  they or their parents saw that hdn was not a viable option for them or their children.

on the other hand, if anyone willingly runs into the open arms of hdn, they will find their actions under scrutiny.

with that said, i wish those who proclaim to have reached the status of adulthood would not relinquish that said status by continually fretting over the decision making skills of a 17 year old.

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

aaaactionvp

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/785256.html

Did Coach Nutt ask Winston where Ole Miss stood before he left?

"Yes sir, he was real happy about it."

This just makes me sick, but we will win with or without him.  Best of luck, kid.

Supermark101

Quote from: aaaactionvp on September 01, 2008, 04:13:10 am

Did Coach Nutt ask Winston where Ole Miss stood before he left?

"Yes sir, he was real happy about it."

This just makes me sick, but we will win with or without him.  Best of luck, kid.

What did Coach Nutt have to say to Darius during his visit?

"He just said Ole Miss was my home, and that he was going to go get a lot of great players to come in with me, if I commit to them."

If he buys that sh$t, we are better off without him.

Winston reported to us last time that he had already made a decision but wanted to wait until September 5th to make his decision public. Did this trip change anything with that decision?

"Nothing has changed at all. I feel real good about my decision, real good. I just want to wait until my press conference on Friday to announce it."

"Nothing has changed at all." he is and will be a hog. He told Nutt, something alone the lines of, I like the way you bounce around, and your still in the running. :razorback:

Hog are ya

He's a Winston.  BIG bloodline of HOG tradition!  I gotta think that means something.  It better.  Cause I want to pull for this kid and watch him grow under Wards tuteliege (sp?).  But you can smite me and I got smited for this when I said this about Joe Adams (example of it ain't over till it's over by the way).  But if he goes ANYWHERE other than Arkansas (especially Ole Miss), I won't wish him harm, but I will NOT pull for him!  I will pull against him.  I got alot of Hog pride!  Get on him Dirt, I want to pull for this talent with a hog on his head!  He can be a BIG part of what's getting ready to happen.  Ole MIss?  Come on..... What pride is that for an Arkansas kid? 

Hog are ya

And by the way for you young ones that might not know, Dirt, who I assume (but could be wrong) is his uncle, was one of the greatest all time fighting Razorbacks who also had a nice career at linebacker for the Steelers.  I saw him almost single handedly stop a top ranked USC Trojan team in 73 or 74 at my first 'in person' game.  This kid needs to be a hog!

Hog are ya

Sorry I'm on a soapbox about it but one last thing.  The 'only' Winston who didn't have a great hog experience was Mark and who did that come under?  Nutt.  I can maybe handle if he goes to the Wolverines or somewhere (still won't wish him well though), but not to Nutt and Ole Miss!  At the end of the day, I think he's a hog, I sure hope so............

JShipCPA

From all accounts, the Grove must be one great place to tailgate and admire young Southern Belles...

Don't kid yourself, the scenery and game day atmosphere is second to none in Fayetteville/WMS...

The Hog

Quote from: Supermark101 on September 01, 2008, 05:51:22 am

What did Coach Nutt have to say to Darius during his visit?

"He just said Ole Miss was my home, and that he was going to go get a lot of great players to come in with me, if I commit to them."

If he buys that sh$t, we are better off without him.

Winston reported to us last time that he had already made a decision but wanted to wait until September 5th to make his decision public. Did this trip change anything with that decision?

"Nothing has changed at all. I feel real good about my decision, real good. I just want to wait until my press conference on Friday to announce it."

"Nothing has changed at all." he is and will be a hog. He told Nutt, something alone the lines of, I like the way you bounce around, and your still in the running. :razorback:
I hope your right but you are stretching by adding what you think he told Nutt.  Not reported anywhere.  Not as clear as it appears per Rivals after this weekends visit:
"As for his decision, Winston wasn't giving away information Sunday. He said Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, Michigan and Clemson are in the mix, but an unspecified school appears to be in the lead. Asked Sunday if he had made up his mind, Winston said, "Not really, but I'm close, very close.""

Here is another per Rivals: ""They're trying to predict where I'm going to go. I'll just say that the people who are saying that might be surprised.""

The family thing.  I read a Rival or Scout article earlier where Uncle Buck said Ole Miss was like family.  It kind of makes one wonder who is making the decision.

Here is something else that bothers me.  Quotes from the Scout.com article:

"When Winston arrived at the game Saturday; he had one thing on his mind.

"I wanted to see how the cornerbacks played. They play man to man at Ole Miss, very aggressive, just like the way I like to play. I pretty much knew how they were going to play because I have been following them since they were at Arkansas, but I just wanted to see if they were going to do the same things at Ole Miss and they did."

The position coach at Ole Miss is also one that the West Helena Central product had previously known.

"Me and Coach Vaughn are real cool. I have been knowing him since he was at Arkansas. He coaches my style of play, and I trust him. He is good friends with my Uncle too, Coach Buck. I guess you can say that we are real familiar with Coach Vaughn and all of their coaches really"."
Automatic RUN!

Adam Stokes

He'll probably commit to Ole Miss just to screw with us because of how everyone acted when he decommited.

FBPLAYER65

Rich white people? Mississippi is the poorest state in the country. The Grove is so overrated. Last year, someone got caught taking a darn in the middle of the place.

Tomhog™

At this point, I'd be surprised to see an Arkansas commitment out of him. Sometimes kids fall under Nutt's rah-rah. It doesn't make sense, but it allows Nutt to land a superstar every few years so he can overuse him to ensure his career's survival.

Kevin

i believe in petrino and his staff.  players are going to come here.  nutt may win some battles but not the war.

daruis love you to be a hog, good luck to you if not.

ps, i am tired of all the nutt talk on a arkansas board. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on September 01, 2008, 08:58:41 am
Rich white people? Mississippi is the poorest state in the country. The Grove is so overrated. Last year, someone got caught taking a crap in the middle of the place.
Nah, it's true.  I've been to the Grove and it's predominantly a bunch of rich white people.  My friend took me to a tailgate run by an Ole Miss student who used his aunt's credit card to buy 10 pizzas and a couple big coolers full of booze.  I got the impression that it was a normal practice in the Grove.

As for being overrated... I agree.  It's good and fun but it's not as great as so many people make it out to be.  I'd rather be at a tailgate in Arkansas.

IronHog

Rich white people? Mississippi is the poorest state in the country. The Grove is so overrated. Last year, someone got caught taking a crap in the middle of the place.

Mississippi-(and LA, much of Ark, etc.)

A few rich white people that own everything AND a bunch of poor people.

Now I know why you make angry and ignorant posts.  You are a Yankee.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Jim Harris

I have to say, I chortled loudly at this DW quote in Yancy-the-Hootie-fan's story:

"But really the whole atmosphere is what stood out to me the most about Ole Miss. The fans are just so into Ole Miss over there ..."

No darn? The fans at Ole Miss are really into Ole Miss? Who'd a thunk it?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

RZRBack_FAN

Nothing like playing for a team that wen 0-8 in the SEC las year and now has one of the worst coaches in college football.

hs6

I don't have a good feeling about his decision.. but i hope I'm wrong

Earl

He will be a Hog, he is playing with Ole Piss because of the way TCTWF treated his family...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Earl on September 01, 2008, 08:15:04 pm

He will be a Hog, he is playing with Ole Piss because of the way TCTWF treated his family...

Now I'm totally lost.  I thought one of the main reasons he was considering OM was because some of the family was tight with nutty.  Someone please set me straight.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogginitall

Quote from: drakehog on September 01, 2008, 12:51:36 pm
I have to say, I chortled loudly at this DW quote in Yancy-the-Hootie-fan's story:

"But really the whole atmosphere is what stood out to me the most about Ole Miss. The fans are just so into Ole Miss over there ..."

No crap? The fans at Ole Miss are really into Ole Miss? Who'd a thunk it?

They're really not, though.  They're more into the party than they are the football team.  Tell me if this sounds familiar:  "We may lose the football game, but we've never lost a party."

Dumba$$es.

Winston isn't going to play any games in the Grove.  So, what does it matter if he likes that or not?

berryhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 01, 2008, 08:19:29 pm
Now I'm totally lost.  I thought one of the main reasons he was considering OM was because some of the family was tight with nutty.  Someone please set me straight.

From what I have read there is no straight.   :-\  Who knows.  One thing is for sure, we will be alright no matter what the decision.

Nashville Fan

So Darius loves the grove and he loves Coach Ward. Seems like a very easy decision.
Pittman or Bust!

rzrbcksooie

Quote from: drakehog on September 01, 2008, 12:51:36 pm

No crap? The fans at Ole Miss are really into Ole Miss? Who'd a thunk it?
get off the kid... all he is saying is that the fans are passionate for their team... stop over analyzing looking to criticize the kid because your afraid he may go to another school..

Hogginitall

Quote from: rzrbcksooie on September 02, 2008, 01:37:32 am
get off the kid... all he is saying is that the fans are passionate for their team... stop over analyzing looking to criticize the kid because your afraid he may go to another school..

But they're not.  They're about as apethetic as you can get about their football team.

Corkscrew Johnson

Okay, I finally have to weigh in on this.

I personally do not think the recruitment of Darius Winston is near the sage or circus that people on here are making it out to be.  He committed to a school very early in the process (with no big fanfare or obnoxious press conference), decided to take a step back and educate himself a little more on his options, and now has decided he is comfortable enough with his choice that he will make an announcement.

During those 5 months, people on here have critiqued and overanalyzed every little word that comes on his mouth.  Posters have fanned the fires and fed off each other's paranoia.   If you are "sick of all this" or "just don't care anymore", then you should probably just stop engaging in the postings and wait for his decision, because I can promise you that this recruitment isn't as big of a sage as you are making it out to be.  If he comes to Arkansas, we will all be happy.  If he doesn't, we will all be upset.  But there isn't much you can do about it, so go check out the amateur thread in DST and relieve yourself of a little stress

HamShank

I wasn't "caught."  I turned myself in.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HamShank on September 02, 2008, 09:23:08 am
I wasn't "caught."  I turned myself in.

You couldn't make it to one of the Hotty Toddy Potties? :D

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hog are ya on September 01, 2008, 06:44:48 am
And by the way for you young ones that might not know, Dirt, who I assume (but could be wrong) is his uncle, was one of the greatest all time fighting Razorbacks who also had a nice career at linebacker for the Steelers.  I saw him almost single handedly stop a top ranked USC Trojan team in 73 or 74 at my first 'in person' game.  This kid needs to be a hog!

HDN also didn't keep Dirt on his first staff when he could have. I hope the Winstons have NOT forgotten that.

Jim Harris

September 02, 2008, 10:43:15 am #46 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:45:58 am by drakehog
Quote from: rzrbcksooie on September 02, 2008, 01:37:32 am

I'm not on the kid, pard. I'm on Yancy the new Houston Nutt Otis of Oxford for putting that quote in there. Chances are, Darius probably didn't even say it, or  certainly not like that. Read more and post less.