Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky lands fives star QB

Started by Razorvet, August 21, 2008, 10:49:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorvet

Morgan Newton

The thing that caught my attention is that he is still a 3 star on Rivals
He is an out of state recruit who listed playing in the SEC as a major reason for his commitment.
It would seem having some success in the SEC will take you to the next level.

Brewerfan10

So he is a 5-star on scout or some other source?

COCHISE

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on August 21, 2008, 10:53:19 pm
So he is a 5-star on scout or some other source?
Scout.  Kentucky could have a hard time hanging on to this kid.

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3230202

Kenny Hawgins

it doesn't matter......even if he's the next andre woodson, he might get them to mediocre but that's it.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

MojaveJoe

Sounds like a running quarterback. They listed his weakness as "touch".

Still interesting mismatch in stars between the two services.

Cheers!

Kilgor

Quote from: MojaveJoe on August 22, 2008, 12:38:57 am
Sounds like a running quarterback. They listed his weakness as "touch".

Still interesting mismatch in stars between the two services.

Cheers!

Ryan Mallet's weakness (currently) is an inability to put "touch" on the ball and he's no running QB.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Razorvet

I can only say that if they can get out of state 5stars to come to Kentucky then we are gonna see some great things from our recruiting staff.

idiotghos

If you think about it, one could make a good argument that Kentucky's had the best quarterbacks in the conference for the last decade.

Abominable Hillbilly

Quote from: Razorvet on August 21, 2008, 10:49:13 pm
Morgan Newton

He is an out of state recruit who listed playing in the SEC as a major reason for his commitment.

He is right about playing in the SEC.  Another recruit called it the baby NFL.
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

SquidBilly

Quote from: Razorvet on August 21, 2008, 10:49:13 pm
Morgan Newton

He also had an offer from Florida so I am surprised he didn't go there.  He'd be in the SEC and would get far more exposure.  I can only assume that distance played a role in this decision along with the fact that Kentucky has QB issues so he should get early playing time.  They now have two highly rated QBs committed for this year's class.  I don't honestly see them being able to keep both.
http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3513683

LRCentralTiger

If he goes to Kentucky he will probably get a chance to play early if he is good.

hogfan064

Quote from: idiotghos on August 22, 2008, 01:55:11 am
If you think about it, one could make a good argument that Kentucky's had the best quarterbacks in the conference for the last decade.

Tim Couch
Dusty Bonner
JLoad
Shane Boyd
Andre Woodson

3 NFL QBs and Bonner was pretty good also.

dougieritch

Good for them, they are always dangerous with a good QB...but Arkansas can hang its hat on the fact we have our own 5-Star QB waiting in the wings and will basically have two years of experience under his belt!  Give me chills thinking about it!

Corkscrew Johnson

August 22, 2008, 08:22:46 am #14 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:48:37 am by Corkscrew Johnson
Quote from: hogfan064 on August 22, 2008, 07:52:32 am

JLoad

He had some great nicknames....Lord of the Ringdings, Pillsbury Throwboy

ListenHereMister

Jared Lorenzan also plays in the NFL, and played for Kentucky.
The shocking thing is that they also have 4* QB Mossakowski, who Ark offered,
and then cooled on after getting Secord to commit.

arklahoman36

Quote from: ListenHereMister on August 22, 2008, 08:33:11 am
Jared Lorenzan also plays in the NFL, and played for Kentucky.
The shocking thing is that they also have 4* QB Mossakowski, who Ark offered,
and then cooled on after getting Secord to commit.

I think it had as much to do with the possibility Mossakowski never plays a down of college football if he's taken in the MLB baseball draft. OU was high on him, but never offered, because Mossakowski wouldn't give them an indication of whether he'd stay on campus if he was drafted.

DoubleJ

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on August 22, 2008, 03:05:25 am
He is right about playing in the SEC.  Another recruit called it the baby NFL.

I heard Lavunce Askew say that there were only 2 conferences....The SEC and the NFL.

MojaveJoe

Quote from: Kilgor on August 22, 2008, 01:33:48 am
Ryan Mallet's weakness (currently) is an inability to put "touch" on the ball and he's no running QB.

That's definitely true, but his strength (Morgan's) was listed as "mobility". It's possible he's not a runner, though, just speculating.

Kentucky is getting a reputation as a place to go for quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure, Arkansas will get the same reputation a few years under BP.

Cheers!

thechamp

scout hands out 5 star ratings like they're candy. he'll probably be a low 4 star guy on scout but let's not start thinking that UK is getting the top QB recruits.

idiotghos

Quote from: thechamp on August 22, 2008, 11:58:13 am
scout hands out 5 star ratings like they're candy. he'll probably be a low 4 star guy on scout but let's not start thinking that UK is getting the top QB recruits.
Well, we've seen time and again that recruiting ratings from anyone are worthless anyway unless the players have a good work ethic to match and a coach who develops them well.

thechamp

i wouldn't say they are worthless. yes the kids does have to have work ethic, but there is a reson teams like LSU, USC, Ohio State, and Florida sign the best classes and then go on to compete for titles. yes the ratings are not the bible, but they are a very good gage. LSU had the number 1 class in many publications in 2004 and surprise suprise we win the title four years later.

idiotghos

Quote from: thechamp on August 22, 2008, 12:18:58 pm
i wouldn't say they are worthless. yes the kids does have to have work ethic, but there is a reson teams like LSU, USC, Ohio State, and Florida sign the best classes and then go on to compete for titles. yes the ratings are not the bible, but they are a very good gage. LSU had the number 1 class in many publications in 2004 and surprise suprise we win the title four years later.

Certainly, but I'd also argue that LSU's had some top-notch coaching, particularly with coordinators, as have the other teams you listed.  On the other hand, you have teams like Miami, Texas, and Bama consistently not performing up to their recruiting classes' potential.  I would certainly say that Joker Phillips knows how to develop quarterbacks, though.

Kilgor

Quote from: MojaveJoe on August 22, 2008, 11:47:53 am
That's definitely true, but his strength (Morgan's) was listed as "mobility". It's possible he's not a runner, though, just speculating.

Kentucky is getting a reputation as a place to go for quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure, Arkansas will get the same reputation a few years under BP.

Cheers!

+1
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Choctaw Hog

I can see a great QB going to Kentucky.  They have an exciting offense where they can display their talents.  We are about to see the very same thing with BP not only with QBs, but with RBs, Receivers, TE, OL, and all other positions as well.  Win or lose, it's going to be fun again to watch a well prepared team play the very best they can play.  I can live with that.

jry04

Morgan Newton is currently playing on ESPN right now. He plays for Carmel.

oldbear

August 23, 2008, 12:20:03 pm #26 Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:21:37 pm by oldbear
Just started watching a few minutes ago, but you gotta like the way this kid looks on the field.

13 of 17 for 160 yards and two touchdowns in the first half, to go with 11 rushes for 43 yards.

songofthesword

biglee1206

Kentucky is putting together a nice class.

Ahog4life

Watched this kid play and he is not a 4.5 guy like they kept saying looked a little slow. He did have a very strong arm but like every kid coming out of highschool he is going to need to learn how to look off of his primary target. His touch on the deep ball does need some work, looks like he just steps back and launches it. He was the best player on the field but the 2 teams in whole didn't look very quick. Carmel is ranked no.22 according to ESPN but they looked slow and not very athletic and they were small looking on the o-line as well as the d-line. If i were going to rank this kid I would say he defiantly has upside and a big arm but he needs a lot of coaching.

JLaws

Quote from: Kilgor on August 22, 2008, 01:33:48 am
That was the only "flaw" I ever noticed watching him practice through the spring.
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

smun83

Quote from: Ahog4life on August 23, 2008, 02:10:24 pm
Watched this kid play and he is not a 4.5 guy like they kept saying looked a little slow. He did have a very strong arm but like every kid coming out of highschool he is going to need to learn how to look off of his primary target. His touch on the deep ball does need some work, looks like he just steps back and launches it. He was the best player on the field but the 2 teams in whole didn't look very quick. Carmel is ranked no.22 according to ESPN but they looked slow and not very athletic and they were small looking on the o-line as well as the d-line. If i were going to rank this kid I would say he defiantly has upside and a big arm but he needs a lot of coaching.

Yeah I watched the game too on Saturday. Actually the quarterback from the other team outplayed him in the first half of the game.  He rebounded well in the second half, he started cramping up too.  All in all he had a decent game especially for the first game of the seaon.  Has the arm, maybe a 4.6 guy.  Still not sure if Kentucky will hold on to him. Especially if other SEC schools come calling

biglee1206

He is sticking with UK!!! Morgan and his parents love UK. Its a 3 hour drive to Lexington for his parents.

i like the # 7

looks like a very mobile mallet.
People say if it flies it dies. Well i say if it just sits there it still dies.

IndyHog76

Didn't get to see much of the game on ESPN, but I work at a school that plays against Carmel.  The head coach at the school where I work says this guy is going to be able to play QB at Kentucky (not get his position changed) and does have a very good arm as well.

LJHOG

Kentucky does have Ashley Judd on their side.   ;D

Razorvet

Id play for Kentucky if she asked me nicely.