Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Immediate defensive line help could be coming in 2010

Started by philobeddoe, August 20, 2008, 09:58:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

philobeddoe

Junction City has three D1 prospects on this years team.  One of them, running back/linebacker Grantel Kennedy, wont have the grades to go anywhere.  It's a shame because he is one of the best athletes to come through JC in a long time.  Devin Ball is another prospect, but don't expect the Hogs to offer.  While he is a very good player, he has questionable speed which will more than likely have him playing in the Sun Belt or possibly the WAC (Louisiana Tech). 

This leads us to the last prospect.  His name is Byron Jones.  He is a 6'2", 300+ pound defensive tackle.  He's definitely one of the best if not the best DT prospect in the state for the class of 2010.  I have been fortunate enough to watch all of his games since Jr. High from the press box.  His biggest asset besides his unbelievable strength, is his quickness.  His 40 time is nothing to write home about, but his first step off of the line is as quick or quicker than anyone else.  Oh....and he does all of this while playing the whole game on both sides of the ball.  His grades are good and the Hogs will have as good of a shot as anyone if they offer.  One last thing about Byron is that he's also a good, yes sir/no sir kid.

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: philobeddoe on August 20, 2008, 09:58:55 pm
Junction City has three D1 prospects on this years team.  One of them, running back/linebacker Grantel Kennedy, wont have the grades to go anywhere.  It's a shame because he is one of the best athletes to come through JC in a long time.  Devin Ball is another prospect, but don't expect the Hogs to offer.  While he is a very good player, he has questionable speed which will more than likely have him playing in the Sun Belt or possibly the WAC (Louisiana Tech). 

This leads us to the last prospect.  His name is Byron Jones.  He is a 6'2", 300+ pound defensive tackle.  He's definitely one of the best if not the best DT prospect in the state for the class of 2010.  I have been fortunate enough to watch all of his games since Jr. High from the press box.  His biggest asset besides his unbelievable strength, is his quickness.  His 40 time is nothing to write home about, but his first step off of the line is as quick or quicker than anyone else.  Oh....and he does all of this while playing the whole game on both sides of the ball.  His grades are good and the Hogs will have as good of a shot as anyone if they offer.  One last thing about Byron is that he's also a good, yes sir/no sir kid.
great to hear +1
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

IronMountainHog

Isn't JC a Okie State town?

Or was James Anderson an isolated defection?

Hog Fan from Camden

I wondered about Mr. Jones when I saw him in the Ark 2010 top 10.  Thanks for the info.  Keep us informed on his progress. 

The Recruiting Guy

Saw Jones at the FCA combine. Very impressive speed for a big guy.

philobeddoe

When you first look at him in pads, he almost looks fat, but when you see him in street clothes you can tell he's very solid.  His nick name is "Big Baby".  The only weakness that my untrained eye can spot is that he has a tendancy to take a play or two off every now and then.  He's getting more and more consistant though.  His defensive coach (Robby Lowe), is from the Wilson Matthews mold, therefore he doesn't put up with laziness.  I know I'm a little bit bias, but it is scary to think that he is only a junior this year.  The 2010 in state class has the potential to be one of the best ever. 

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Razorvet

Is Kennedy a high D1 prospect that might get a shot at JC then a look from the Hogs?

wildcathog

philobeddoe

Quote from: PigPusher on August 21, 2008, 12:18:02 am
Sounds good but is 2010 immediate help?

I'm saying that he will be immediate help for the 2010 team,  if he signs in 2010.  Do you understand now, or should I draw a picture?

philobeddoe

Quote from: Razorvet on August 21, 2008, 01:12:52 am
Is Kennedy a high D1 prospect that might get a shot at JC then a look from the Hogs?

I don't know about that.  This kid has the ability to play linebacker or running back for anybody in the country.  As a matter of fact, he has the frame to fit the mold of Petrino's "big back".  The problem with Kennedy is that he does not have good work habits in the classroom and isn't worried about it.  He is focused on the present and has no idea how bright his future could be if he would just buckle down in the classroom.  He also gets in trouble a lot.  Has little to no maturity.  Just another case of wasted talent.  JC has a history of producing those, with the exception of Payne and Godfrey.

ListenHereMister

philobeddoe

Quote from: ListenHereMister on August 21, 2008, 09:04:36 am
I belive Dragon I said Jones was an LSU lean??

I have heard that as well, but I think we could get him if we played our cards right.  If it were me, I would put Ward and/or Horton on him. 

NostraHogmus

Quote from: raginwildfire on August 21, 2008, 10:24:22 am
"Big Baby" will not attend Arkansas unless Ball goes with him.  Look for him if offered to head to LSU.  I don't forsee Ball getting a offer from the Hogs.

So you foresse LSU offering Big Baby and Ball?

Dragon I

I haven't spoke to Big Baby in a few days, but the last time I talked to him, he said he would play for La Tech or Grambling, before he played for the Hogs.  LSU doesn't have to offer Ball to get Jones, that is the school of his dreams.  I have said all along, that if Arkansas wants any shot, offering Ball would go a long way in helping them with Big Baby.  The kid has a hatred for the Hogs, but that could all change if the right recruiter (or team mate) were in his ear.  He actually lives in Louisiana, so I've wondered should he be in the LA or AR prospects list.  He is also very strong for someone his age.  He has a 390 pound BP with a lot of maturing still left to be done.  Grantel Kennedy is built like a race horse, but has strength like a Clydesdale.  He has a 380 pound BP.  These two helped seal another powerlifting state title for Junction City this year.  There is a fourth Dragon that is starting to make noise outside of the "big three."  Allan Turner won the State Title in the 200m and has amazing speed.  He is  He also finished strong for the powerlifting team.  he has the frame to play in the SEC, and has the same yes sir/no sir attitude as Big Baby.  He will be in the 2010 class as well.  They have Turner and Kennedy listed as the same height in the AV article, but Turner is about 1.5 to 2 inches taller than Kennedy.  Jones and Turner were only Soph's last season, so they still have a season ahead of them to truly "breakout."  There will be many scouts at the JC games this year, to see Ball and Kennedy, and that will go a long way in getting them noticed.
Fear the Hat!

Gov Hog

Dragon I

I honestly don't know.  About two year ago, when everyone really started to realize how big and dominate he was, and how good he was going to be, I asked him what schools he would like to go to.  He said he wanted to go to LSU, but if that didn't work out, he really wanted to play in the SEC if he was good enough (very humble).  I asked if he had thought about going to any camps to help get his self noticed, and told him he needed to go to the Arkansas camp.  The answer was a firm HECK NO.  He said they were not an option.  I see him at least 3 or 4 times a week now, and when we talk schools and recruiting, he still stands by those statements.  He is always talking LSU football, when were not talking Junction City football.  His brother was recruited by Grambling, but didn't go to school.  Junction City is a pretty split town on Hog and LSU fans, and by talking to him, it just seems like he is one of the true LSU fans.  Saying Arkansas has a good a chance as any, is a bit of a stretch IMO.  He could be swayed that way, but as of right now, the Hogs have a long way to go.  Just think though, 3 months ago, we all thought Dyer was an LSU lean. 
Fear the Hat!

philobeddoe

Quote from: Dragon I on August 21, 2008, 05:01:01 pm
I honestly don't know.  About two year ago, when everyone really started to realize how big and dominate he was, and how good he was going to be, I asked him what schools he would like to go to.  He said he wanted to go to LSU, but if that didn't work out, he really wanted to play in the SEC if he was good enough (very humble).  I asked if he had thought about going to any camps to help get his self noticed, and told him he needed to go to the Arkansas camp.  The answer was a firm HECK NO.  He said they were not an option.  I see him at least 3 or 4 times a week now, and when we talk schools and recruiting, he still stands by those statements.  He is always talking LSU football, when were not talking Junction City football.  His brother was recruited by Grambling, but didn't go to school.  Junction City is a pretty split town on Hog and LSU fans, and by talking to him, it just seems like he is one of the true LSU fans.  Saying Arkansas has a good a chance as any, is a bit of a stretch IMO.  He could be swayed that way, but as of right now, the Hogs have a long way to go.  Just think though, 3 months ago, we all thought Dyer was an LSU lean. 

I'm curious to see how he acts when the recruiters start wining and dining him.  I think he'll be fine. 

The reason I think we have a shot is the fact that he does want to play in the SEC, and LSU rarely dips into the lower classifications.  Kevin Payne (who is now playing for the Chicago Bears) didn't get so much as a sniff from LSU.  I think Byron may have a change of heart about the Hogs when and if Petrino comes or sends someone after him. 

One thing is for sure, and I know its very obvious, but the success of our recruiting depends a lot on the success of our season. 

Dragon I

Much agreed philobeddoe.  As far as KP is concerned, not a single school outside of the SunBelt showed interest. 
Fear the Hat!

bearden hog

Who told him he was going to get a hogs offer anyway.  From the two games I have seen him play I would take Ball over him.  I have not seen them play but two times.  Both games against the bears, ball has shown out two years.  Last year big baby was holding his hips in the first quarter and the rest of the game.  Our nose guard tore him up the whole game.  This is an opinion of someone who has only seen him play to games.

philobeddoe

I've watched him play 30 + games.  He is a lot better than he showed against Bearden last year.  Ball is a good player, but like I said earlier, he doesn't have the speed to compete in the SEC.

Dragon I

You obviously missed the first game that Jones played against Bearden then.  He was a freshman and didn't get in until the second quarter.  On his first three plays, he had two tackles and forced a bad snap.  He also had in INT returned for a TD and finished the game with 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 knockdowns, and an int for a TD.  Last season, he had 9 tackles against the Bears, not bad for a soph. that was getting doubled and ran away from the whole game.  If he had 9 tackles per game, in every game he played in last year, he would have finished with 108 tackles. (he finished with 110)  I bet no one on here would complain with getting 108 tackles from a DT.  I bet no coach in this state would mind getting 110 tackles from a DT, and I bet they would think getting 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 knockdowns, 1 int for a TD, and forcing bad snaps as a freshmen and only playing a little over half the defensive snaps being pretty dominate.  9 tackles in last years game means some O'lineman was getting beat pretty bad.
Fear the Hat!

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: philobeddoe on August 21, 2008, 07:32:32 am
I'm saying that he will be immediate help for the 2010 team,  if he signs in 2010.  Do you understand now, or should I draw a picture?

Don't get all butthurt because your thread title lacks common sense.

Stateline Hawg

In J.C. most people love UA and hate LSU or love LSU and hate UA.  With south LA and West Monroe producing D lineman the way they do, i'd be stunned if he got an offer from LSU. Kids say things with out thinking them through sometimes, and if he would rather go to Grambling than UA, then i'm not sure he is smart enough to find his way to Fayetteville.

Filthy_McSwine

philobeddoe

Quote from: hogsfan4l1fe on August 22, 2008, 10:44:16 am
Don't get all butthurt because your thread title lacks common sense.

I didn't pull your chain.  Get back up in your high chair and put your bib back on.  This is the big boys table.

Dragon I

Ouch!  You ever thought that maybe he just hates Arkansas that much, and would rather go to a school close to home rather than somewhere he would hate to be?  He is the one kid of the 4 recruits in JC, that has all of his grades in order, and is the most grounded.  I would watch what I say about a kid that is one of the top five in Arkansas in a loaded class, and already doesn't like the Hogs.  No need to give him a reason to go to Ole Miss out of spite.  I think it is a long shot at best that he gets an offer from LSU.  If he does, the D-Line is so loaded down there, that he would be a junior before he saw any significant PT.  I do think he will get SEC offers though. Saying he isn't smart enough to find Fayetteville, won't go very far in helping get a kid, that already hates the Hogs.  Ole Miss and Miss State have each came and looked at him, and have shown heavy interest.  IMO, if no LSU offer comes, it's one of those two.  Once more, that is just IMO.  A lot can change in two years.  If he blows up on the scene this season, and gets his film out to some services, he could be big time.
Fear the Hat!

philobeddoe

Seebs

The exchange between Phillo and Dragon is precisely why I come to these boards (other than RRD) .. thanks for the civil and educational discussion about JC.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Dragon I

Fear the Hat!

philobeddoe

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on August 22, 2008, 12:18:20 pm
Sorry, didn't mean to laff at the sand in your mangina.

Didn't I say this was the big boys table?  You're trying to use this message board without knowing how to spell.  Good grief.  That tells everyone all they need to know about you.  I got three words for you:  Hooked On Phonics

philobeddoe

ConwayHog

Hello guys, just letting you know that we're around.  Now could you please act like you're over the age of 12.

Filthy_McSwine

August 22, 2008, 12:34:47 pm #34 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:36:46 pm by Filthy_McSwine
Quote from: philobeddoe on August 22, 2008, 12:30:04 pm
yeah right.

I said most folks.  Since you consider 2010 immediate, I understand your confusion. 

Believe it or not, I appreciate your info, but your thread title is laffable (:sarcasm:) and you getting pissy when called on it is hilarious.

edit:  sorry, post made before reading above. 

Stateline Hawg

Quote from: Dragon I on August 22, 2008, 12:08:10 pm
Ouch!  You ever thought that maybe he just hates Arkansas that much, and would rather go to a school close to home rather than somewhere he would hate to be?  He is the one kid of the 4 recruits in JC, that has all of his grades in order, and is the most grounded.  I would watch what I say about a kid that is one of the top five in Arkansas in a loaded class, and already doesn't like the Hogs.  No need to give him a reason to go to Ole Miss out of spite.  I think it is a long shot at best that he gets an offer from LSU.  If he does, the D-Line is so loaded down there, that he would be a junior before he saw any significant PT.  I do think he will get SEC offers though. Saying he isn't smart enough to find Fayetteville, won't go very far in helping get a kid, that already hates the Hogs.  Ole Miss and Miss State have each came and looked at him, and have shown heavy interest.  IMO, if no LSU offer comes, it's one of those two.  Once more, that is just IMO.  A lot can change in two years.  If he blows up on the scene this season, and gets his film out to some services, he could be big time.
Didn't say he wasn't smart, I dislike LSU, would like to see grambling beat them every year(i know they dont play), but if i was good enough to go to LSU or grambling, i would go to LSU. If he hates UA, i don't want him, tick him off nor not. My guess is he lives in a border town, loves one school and hates the other, for no other reason than that.  So if he rather go to Grambling than UA, look forward to seeing them get beat in the bayou classic and their band get punked by the human jukebox.

Dragon I

LOL.  Not every recruit in the country grows up wanting to be a Hog, that why you RECRUIT them.  I was just talking about this with some other JC people that are Hog fans.  BB is a Tiger fan, and hates the Hogs, but if Horton brought him to the UA, he would be amazed by what they had to offer and the facilities.  If he hated the Hogs before, and deep down would take a LSU offer in a heart beat, but will take the Hogs offer, would you take him?  There are kids on almost every roster in the country that settled for a school.  Very few kids have the opportunity to pick from every school they want.  There are several kids Arkansas is recuiting right now that have said the Razorbacks aren't there first choice, do you want to quit recruiting them?  Just because he turns down the Razorbacks, because he was raised in a communtiy were you love one and hate the other, you want to wish a kid loses every game he plays in?
Fear the Hat!

Stateline Hawg

Don't care what community he comes from, I  like to see LSU lose, could care less if big baby is on LSU's team or not. If BB goes to LSU, it would not change my opinion of LSU one ounce. I'm not wishing ill will to BB, but if he spouts off about going to the Alcorn St.s of the world over the program that i donate to, whether we have the same alma mater or not, he can go. I know every kid on the hawgs roster did not love the helmet from birth, but i doubt any of them went around spouting their love of GSU or UAM or SAU over the hawgs. 

bearden hog

Dragon I, I was not kicking Jones.  I just said that devin ball has impressed me more in the two games I saw him.  Talk him all you want but see how many tackles keyon lowe from bearden had against jones last year it was more than nine.  I will tell you that beardens probably has a better NG this year in chris jenkins so he better be ready for the bears again and he will also play both ways just like lowe did last year.  JC will go down at rogers field again this year. 

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: philobeddoe on August 22, 2008, 12:07:30 pmI didn't pull your chain.  Get back up in your high chair and put your bib back on.  This is the big boys table.

Quote from: philobeddoe on August 22, 2008, 12:22:04 pm
Didn't I say this was the big boys table?  You're trying to use this message board without knowing how to spell.  Good grief.  That tells everyone all they need to know about you.  I got three words for you:  Hooked On Phonics

High chair...big boys table?  What are you 12?  The only thing you are pulling is your pud.  I suggest you spend a little less time on hogville and a little more time hitting the books.  Contrary to what your WoW buddies tell you, that G.E.D. isn't going to pass itself.

Dragon I

He never said he loved any of those schools, just that he loved LSU and hates Arkansas, and you've already written him off, just because he doesn't care for the Hogs.  He's 15 for crying out loud.  I bet several top prospects in Florida grew up hating 2 of the big 3 and loving one, but went to one of the schools he hated when the other offer never came.  I know there have been Sooner fans that hated OSU their whole lives, but went there when the scholarship to OU never came.  There are kids playing at Ole Miss whose whole familys were Miss State fans, and they were taught to hate the Rebels. 
Fear the Hat!

Stateline Hawg

Quote from: Dragon I on August 22, 2008, 03:01:28 pm
He never said he loved any of those schools, just that he loved LSU and hates Arkansas, and you've already written him off, just because he doesn't care for the Hogs.  He's 15 for crying out loud.  I bet several top prospects in Florida grew up hating 2 of the big 3 and loving one, but went to one of the schools he hated when the other offer never came.  I know there have been Sooner fans that hated OSU their whole lives, but went there when the scholarship to OU never came.  There are kids playing at Ole Miss whose whole familys were Miss State fans, and they were taught to hate the Rebels. 
Haven't written him off, if you would have my first post correctly, it said IF HE WOULD RATHER GO to GSU than Arkansas, i was questioning his decision making, I'm from JC, i know the type of stuff said back and forth between fans of the opposing colleges.  HE would really have to HATE arkansas to want to go to GSU. Yes, if it comes down to UA and GSU and he has a hard time deciding due to his hate for the Hogs, I wish him well in the SWAC if he wants to do that to himself. I'm sure the hogs have Miami, Auburn, LSU, Texas fans on the roster, i just don't remember losing any recruiting battles with SWAC schools.

philobeddoe

August 22, 2008, 03:42:48 pm #42 Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:44:46 pm by philobeddoe
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 22, 2008, 12:34:17 pm
Hello guys, just letting you know that we're around.  Now could you please act like you're over the age of 12.

Sorry about that.  I have little to no patience with folks that pop into a thread just to make a degrading remark that, in no way, contributes to the thread.  Believe it or not, I am getting better.   ;D

Conway Cool Daddy

I think the perception that a lot of kids have about Arkansas is about to change......Drastically.

No more laughing stock.

Clint Alan

You seriously have to wonder about a lineman in the smaller classification. Even if it is a big kid, he still only goes up against OL that averages probably 200lbs.

Any kid, with a hint of athletic ability, can look like a star in small classification ball.....
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Dragon I

Fear the Hat!

philobeddoe

Quote from: rubmyHOG on August 22, 2008, 04:11:12 pm
You seriously have to wonder about a lineman in the smaller classification. Even if it is a big kid, he still only goes up against OL that averages probably 200lbs.

Any kid, with a hint of athletic ability, can look like a star in small classification ball.....

Oh there's no doubt about that.  On the other hand, it is for that very same reason that some great atheletes go unnoticed.  Kevin Payne is just one of many examples.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Stateline Hawg on August 22, 2008, 03:13:21 pm
Haven't written him off, if you would have my first post correctly, it said IF HE WOULD RATHER GO to GSU than Arkansas, i was questioning his decision making, I'm from JC, i know the type of stuff said back and forth between fans of the opposing colleges.  HE would really have to HATE arkansas to want to go to GSU. Yes, if it comes down to UA and GSU and he has a hard time deciding due to his hate for the Hogs, I wish him well in the SWAC if he wants to do that to himself. I'm sure the hogs have Miami, Auburn, LSU, Texas fans on the roster, i just don't remember losing any recruiting battles with SWAC schools.

A lot of players make those comments until they actually start getting calls from a particular coaching staff.  There is no way Byran Jones plays for La Tech or Grambling if Arkansas offers and no other big school does not.  He mentioned at the FCA combine that he liked both Arkansas and LSU.  There is a great chance that LSU will not offer Byran Jones because they will not take over 2 or 3 D tackles and I am sure they will get one from Texas and someone else from inside the state. 

LAhog123

His brother and I played HS ball together and were best friends and Byran considered me like an older brother as well. I've talked to him several times about it and he has never said Arkansas was out of the realm of possibilities or that he would NEVER go there. He's a great kid with a level head. Wish his brother would have wanted to go somewhere after Grambling( He stayed for a semester or two) because they are and were both freakishly athletic for big kids.

philobeddoe